Title / Thread Starter Last Post ByReverse Sort Order Replies Views
beta

Optimistic x 70

SECTION RULES - POST SMALL QUESTIONS IN THE RESPECTIVE THREAD OR GET BANNED!

What this section is for: -Getting help choosing parts for a computer -Getting help building a computer -Getting help with prebuilts -Getting help with laptops What to put in your thread (if you're looking for help on a build): -Budget -Games...

14th June 2009
by lazyV Go to last post
0 13,175
Help

Is this good value?

Have been looking for a pc that will max TF2 and BF2, saw this on overclockers, and thought that there may be some catch or something that just isn't right for the price they're asking... Read revies saying it is capable of Crysis and Farcry 2, are...

7th July 2009
by Yumyumbublegum Go to last post
3 523
Help

Need a new graphics card, which is better?

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 or the nVidia 9800gtx. Note: the nvidia one is 1 gig, the other im not so sure. DOnt ask questions just tell me, cause i need to know, and soon.

8th July 2009
by JohnEdwards Go to last post
13 882
Help

Building computer for my mom, $200-$300, barely has to do anything. ( 2 3 Last )

My moms computer is old as shit, it shipped with windows 95, and we've been running XP for a few years, but it's sluggish as fuck (about 30 minutes to boot, 10 to load the desktop, 10 to open any programs). We have an OS, and I'm sure we can just use the...

8th July 2009
119 4,555
Help

Looking to get a tablet, any suggestions?

Yeah, I need a tabled for Flash and MS Paint and I know next to nothing about tablets other than I absolutely must have one. :>

8th July 2009
by TrafficMan Go to last post
6 565
Help

SATA cables?

I'm building a new PC and all of the parts should be arriving by my house by Wednesday... However, I was reading that I would need to have SATA cables for the HDD I ordered (WD 1TB Black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284)....

8th July 2009
by S.T.O.R.M Go to last post
20 1,193
Help

1st build This thread has images

I'm looking for advice and criticism on this on this build. I'm also look for ways to go cheaper if possible.

8th July 2009
by ManningQB18 Go to last post
21 923
Computers

Advice needed! This thread has images

I recently started putting money into my computer, a gateway with pretty much basic hardware. Before RAM - DDR 256MB Infineon CPU - 2666.7MHz Intel Celeron 330 Video Card - Intel(R )Extreme Graphics 64MB Mother Board - (unknown manufacturer,...

9th July 2009
by ManningQB18 Go to last post
31 1,049
Computers

Are these componets okay for a new gaming PC?

Alright, I need to know if these are okay for a new gaming PC. I just need to know if these are good for gaming and such. 1. CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail 3. Motherboard: GIGABYTE...

9th July 2009
by Zorlok Go to last post
20 955
beta

Advice for $2,000.00-ish build. This thread has images

Hello facepunch, 3 months ago my computer caught on fire and died, and I just recently put together enough money for a brand new PC. For the time being, I have decided that I will be getting all of my parts from Newegg.com, seeing as how reliable they...

9th July 2009
by xxFoxxx Go to last post
28 1,246
Request

Decent gaming PC for around $350 This thread has images

My friend is needing help building a PC on a small budget. So far I have this. CPU 70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072 MOTHERBOARD 53 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131369 VIDEO...

9th July 2009
by Christarp2 Go to last post
28 1,087
Computers

HTPC Build, need quick check of parts, opinions ( 2 Last ) This thread has images

Here is a build I'm ordering today. If someone with more knowledge than myself could do a quick scan of the parts to ensure compatibility I would greatly appreciate it, especially the power supply and video card. ...

9th July 2009
by Jeseuss Go to last post
41 1,473
Computers

Mini-ITX Build - Build log with pictures This thread has images

Hello: it's been a while since i've posted anything on facepunch at all, so I thought I'd post up a build I just finished- my first mini-itx system. It's pretty much the most compact thing I've ever built, lucky I have pencil-fingers. I went with...

9th July 2009
by onnet7 Go to last post
8 1,617
Help

PSU Help

I'm looking for a good PSU that won't explode (I just finished reading the rocketfish thread). I was looking at an OCZ ModXstream for a XFX Radeon HD 4850 512MB Athlon 64 X2 7850 2.8 GHz 4GB of G.Skill 1066 RAM. The one I was looking at was 600...

9th July 2009
by Unreliable Go to last post
5 520
Stupid

First Build, a Quad Core Build This thread has images

Hey Facepunch, I just wanted to find out if my first build and my first quad core build is set. I'm a penny pincher so I didn't get a new monitor. Also I'll save up for a pretty high end graphics card. Here it is ...

9th July 2009
by reapaninja Go to last post
10 858
Help

Looking for a GPU for around $200 This thread has images

I'm looking for a new GPU for around $200, the faster the better. Must have relatively low power demand, as my case only has room for 1 PSU. My current PSU is a 500w. I was looking at this one:...

9th July 2009
by Nightrazr Go to last post
37 1,833
Help

Will this motherboard fit in my HP m8400f?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131330 I recently got a GTX 260 and a 550 watt power supply, and they installed perfectly fine. The only problem was my card was so big, it covered 3 out of my four SATA plugs, therefore,...

10th July 2009
by mgear Go to last post
17 1,275
Computers

Will this be a good computer? This thread has images

I am going to buy these parts for my computer in around 1-3 weeks. For people who are in Australia like where i am. The shop I am buying all this from is Centre Com except for one which could be on a website My uncle will be buying these stuff for me....

10th July 2009
by ThatDamnGrei Go to last post
34 1,382
Help

Help with Casual Gaming Rig ( 2 Last ) This thread has images

I'm going to be ordering all of my parts here soon and I need some help on finding the right cables for a couple of my OEM's and want to know if what I have currently is decent. MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157161...

10th July 2009
by furbrain Go to last post
65 1,709
Help

SATA Drive help

So I recently bought a Barracuda 7200.12 SATA and just installed it into my PC, now I'm having an issue where it is recognized in device manager but cant see the drive in my computer, and whenever I try to get into bios the PC ignores my continued spam of...

10th July 2009
by IplayAspy Go to last post
3 393
Help

Ram

If I had the money to get 8 GBs of RAM would it be worth it? Or should I just get 4 GBs of RAM and use my money for something else?

10th July 2009
by The Pro Go to last post
7 603
Computers

Need a good build for normal gaming ( 2 3 4 Last ) This thread has images

I'm looking for a build that's like my current build that gives me good framerates in Crysis and Warhead(all in Medium graphics) and Mirror's Edge. Now I'm not someone that likes spending a shitload of cash on a build I have no need for. At least a...

10th July 2009
by n00bmuffin Go to last post
125 4,689
Help

Just built new PC, Disk Read Failure

I just built my new pc, and when I start it up I get a error saying Disk Read Failure, Please insert System Disk.. So I insert a Windows xp cd, and it still says the same thing, I know the Optical drive is working because of the sound it makes when it...

10th July 2009
by Roast Beast Go to last post
14 880
Computers

Best 8x graphics card (PCI-E)

Today, my 8800 GT died, and I need a graphics card to replace it. The thing is, that my motherboard only has a 8x PCI-E slot. So what is the best graphics card that I can buy that won't get bottlenecked by the 8x slot? Specs 32bit Vista 3Gb RAM...

10th July 2009
3 712
Science

Heatsink mod on my Acer Aspire One

Yeah well, today i got my extra gig of ram and i decided while i had the netbook open, i could help the heating a little by installing a little extra heatsink. The ram. The heatsinks The motherboard from the Acer, there you can see that...

10th July 2009
by Recording... Go to last post
14 3,542

question about overclocking and cooling

so im deciding about 2 processors: the e8400 and the e8500 both are dual cores, except one is at 3 ghz and the otheris at 3.16 ghz and costs 30 dollars more now, im not planning to but any special heatsinks or fans, but i am buying an antec 900,...

10th July 2009
by woodchuck34 Go to last post
12 712
Help

Simple build WILL NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET

I've just built my grandfather's computer, and it won't connect to the internet. It's a wired connection. I checked the router, it's plugged in; the ethernet cable is plugged in just fine. It's a fresh install of XP Home SP1. I feel like such an idiot...

10th July 2009
by PrismatexV3 Go to last post
11 777
Request

Suggest a case!

Needed: ATX Massive. The bigger the better Easy to work with Easy cable management. Not ridiculously overpriced. Don't need a $500 case. Edit: Going with Obsidian.

11th July 2009
22 921
Computers

Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDRH PCI Express Graphics Card???? ( 2 Last )

I'm thinking about getting the Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDRH PCI Express Graphics Card.. I need opinions of experienced people knowledge.. I have the Windows Vista Home Premium My Hard Drive is a Dell Hybrid My...

11th July 2009
by PrismatexV3 Go to last post
61 2,477
Help

This a good deal?

Is this a good deal? Its a Thermaltake case, and it has plenty of expansion ports, and a 230 mm fan. Is it built good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133069

11th July 2009
by Second-gear-of-mgear Go to last post
2 437
Computers

Ati 4850 vs. 4870 This thread has images

Well I am having a tough time deciding between these two cards. The 4850 is much cheaper which will allow me to get two of them faster than if I get the 4870. Is the extra $50 or so dollars it would cost me per card to crossfire them worth it? Or should I...

11th July 2009
by spacedooky Go to last post
8 704
Request

Looking for a laptop with decent gaming capabilities

I've been looking around, and say two really nice ASUS's at a local BestBuy and a nice Sony as well, I have heard good things about ASUS laptops but I have heard nothing about Sony laptops, but I'm looking for specs like this: Min. 4 gigs of RAM ...

11th July 2009
2 496
Computers

Good case under $100

As the title states. I need it to be able to fit an ATX motherboard, ATX psu, and a GTX 275 or 285.

11th July 2009
by Odellus Go to last post
11 657
Help

Choosing a Graphics Tablet

I'm looking at investing in a graphics tablet for my creative stuff, photoshop etc. I have about £100 to spend and have narrowed it down to two choices. I can either get the Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium or the Genius Pensketch(A4). I know everyone...

11th July 2009
by Second-gear-of-mgear Go to last post
7 791
Help

Question on the Cm V8

Would the Cooler Master V8 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055 Fit on the AMD Phenom II X4 955? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674 Or would i have to find a different CPU cooler.

11th July 2009
by Quantuam VTX Go to last post
3 429
Help

Case fan not working... WHY!?!?

Alright, I've got an ABS Aplus ABS-CS-EL Diablo full tower ATX case. It comes with a front 250mm fan and a side 360mm fan. Now, everything on it works except A) The power LED, because the Power LED connector is 3-pin while the Front Header connector...

11th July 2009
by Sam Tilgan Go to last post
6 1,207
Help

Dad Wants Me to Build a Media Center ( 2 Last ) This thread has images

As the title says, my dad has requested that I build a computer for him to store all of his music on and to be able to do some light internet browsing and whatnot. I've been given a budget of $600 to buy parts, and I want to make sure I get the best I can...

11th July 2009
by Prismatex Go to last post
48 1,871
Repeat

Power Supplies (again)

Right I had to send one I bought back as it was 20W too weak apparently (not that it seemed to make that big a difference). While talking to the AMD support line about a processor I had just bought that wasn't working (now found to be DOA and RMA'd) the...

11th July 2009
by hexpunK Go to last post
4 458
Computers

$600 Build

Where: California, USA Price Range: 600$ What I have: monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, 1TB external HD What I'll use it for: some old source games, internet and homework Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC...

11th July 2009
by Prismatex Go to last post
3 446

i need a new computer

location = canada budget = i don't know because my dad is being a hebrew gaems i'll be playing = wow, tf2, hl2, l4d, oblivion and other stuff preferred site = the cheapest one so far i have http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36295 = AMD...

11th July 2009
by BananasGoMoo Go to last post
9 557
Help

Can you use a SATA CD/DVD Drive in a rig with an IDE HDD? This thread has images

Yeah, my dad needs me to replace his CD/DVD Drive, and his computer is old enough that it has a free SATA port, but both the CD/DVD Drive and the HDD are on IDE. I'm gonna trash the current CD/DVD Drive, as it's borked. Will using a SATA one screw up...

12th July 2009
by compwhizii Go to last post
11 611