1. Post #1
    June 2007
    636 Posts
    I went to reinstall steam after a reformat, and steam install won't run. It starts up and then closes with "Error 1327. Invalid Drive: F:\" I'm assuming this is because before I reformatted, steam was installed on my external HDD. Now, when it tries to compute the space requirements, it closes with this error, before I even get to the page that allows me to choose the install location. Anyone know a fix?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    start > right click my computer > manage > storage > disk management > right click on the drive you want the letter changed for > change drive letters and paths > change to whatever letter you need

3. Post #3
    June 2007
    636 Posts
    start > right click my computer > manage > storage > disk management > right click on the drive you want the letter changed for > change drive letters and paths > change to whatever letter you need
    I'm not sure you understand my problem. I want to install to the C drive. When I run install, before I even get to choose the install location, it tries to scan the F:\ drive (the last place it was installed) to determine how much free space I have. When it cannot find a F:\ drive (because it doesn't exist) it closes out with the error stated in the OP. You are suggesting I rename my C:\ drive to F:\, and I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't allow it or it would screw up.

Edited:

Thanks for the response though.

4. Post #4
    April 2008
    716 Posts
    Then temporary rename your DVD drive or something else to F:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,566 Posts
    You might just get a flash drive. You won't need to install it on F:\, it's just a bug (?). Also, my Steam is on F:\ too. :O

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,162 Posts
    Delete some Registry keys...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    I'm not sure you understand my problem. I want to install to the C drive. When I run install, before I even get to choose the install location, it tries to scan the F:\ drive (the last place it was installed) to determine how much free space I have. When it cannot find a F:\ drive (because it doesn't exist) it closes out with the error stated in the OP. You are suggesting I rename my C:\ drive to F:\, and I'm pretty sure my computer wouldn't allow it or it would screw up.

Edited:

Thanks for the response though.
    why wouldn't your computer allow it, I get a similar issue every time I turn off my external HDD, I'm assuming everything is on your C drive but your computer thinks it's on your F drive (because that's where you originally put it before this happened). It seems to me the simplest solution would be to temporarily change your drive letters so it can scan F drive and then when you're done doing what you need to do, change the letters back

8. Post #8

May 2012
    1 Posts
    This may be an extremely late reply but I ad this problem also and the easiest solution is to plug any usb device into your computer, ensure that it is F:/ then when you go to intsall steam manually change the directory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Late Late x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)