1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    Oh look! Spacew00t is finally releasing something! Did he mention it's all done in Hammer, no Lua involved?

I would like to take this chance to say that I'm not dead.

The Basics:
    This release includes the BSP and VMF of a sample map I made awhile back. What's special about this release is that everything was done with nothing but Hammer entities.
    First, you gas your car with one tank of fuel, which can last you up to 5 minutes [the car starts out gassed actually, but you could change that]... A certain amount of time before the tank runs out a light on the dashboard along with a beeping sound will warn you that you're running low on gas, at this point you can refuel or eventually run out and the car will shut off. Next if you ever get into a fight and your engine gets blown, like in the video, you can repair your vehicle by replacing the engine, battery, axles, and all four tires. After doing that you can then refuel your vehicle and drive away to get blown up another day.
    Original WIP Thread

The Video:

The Pics:

The Apology:
    So yeah, I first started talking about this at the beginning of 2008, and its now almost halfway through 2010, I think I got distracted somewhere along the way. Basically, I always was planning on releasing a tut on this, but now I realize that I've pretty much forgotten how it works (so good luck figuring it out!). I also realize I'm probably not going to use it in any maps in the foreseeable future.

The Disclaimer:
    It's made with Hammer and its got a lot of entities, it ain't gonna be as neat as something you could make with lua, but it will teach you how to use entities in new and creative ways. I'm not really looking for constructive criticism for how to improve it, since I don't plan to do anything with it right now, and I can't really help you with any issues it may have since I've forgotten how it works. Please remember that I did this over two years ago and I've gone on to do other things since then. While you have permission to use this in your map (as long as you credit me) I would really use this instead to learn how to make your own entity based projects in Hammer.

The Final Word
    I hope this inspires others to view Hammer in a new way, and to implement other original and interesting systems into their maps.

The Release

tl;dr
    A car made in hammer without lua that goes boom and you can fix it.

Also, before you ask, Yes! I will be releasing more of my entity based prefabs in the upcoming weeks. Just give me time to find them and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 15Dumb x 9Informative x 3Friendly x 1Agree x 1Mapping King x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    918 Posts
    This is awesome, I'll try it out immediately.

3. Post #3
    Hey you finally released this!, Nice.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,648 Posts
    How many years is that? 3 or 4? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,615 Posts
    I remember the start of the WIP thread.
    Congrats on finally releasing something too. I think you should work on trying to get mapping groups back to FP (like all you berry folk and those element dudes (and obviously some new groups would surface)). It would be like old times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,079 Posts
    Its very nice work but is this not basically the same as VM mod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    38 Posts
    Anyone figured out how to use it yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,086 Posts
    I still remember this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2010
    38 Posts
    Don't think it actually works anymore tbh.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    Don't think it actually works anymore tbh.
    It does, I tested it before I released it.

11. Post #11
    January 2010
    38 Posts
    Oooerr, how do you work it then, when I touch parts on parts, it doesn't do anything.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    Did you break it first?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    You've got to destroy it first... Hit the engine block with a couple RPGs.

Edit:
    Did you break it first?
    Ah beat me to it.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,915 Posts
    Now, release that entity based radar tracking system, that was amazing.

15. Post #15
    Maybe this will inspire some old maps with garages to be remade.

Looking over at Oviscity, I think, where it had a couple of garages that weren't very useful. A remake of that, including this ability, would be nice.

16. Post #16
    Main Force Patrolin'
    August 2006
    5,255 Posts
    Its been a while Spacewoot...

17. Post #17
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,851 Posts
    Awesome!
    But why are people rating it boxes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,558 Posts
    Because they don't know what a fun map is.

19. Post #19
    May 2010
    1,578 Posts
    I wouldn't call it dynamic...

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    Awesome!
    But why are people rating it boxes?
    Because they aren't reading the disclaimer.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,625 Posts
    Glad to see you're back! Great job, hope to see more of this.

22. Post #22
    June 2010
    10 Posts
    this is epic, great work gee.

23. Post #23
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,472 Posts
    Aww I thought you could actually take it apart :saddowns:

But at any rate its still a cool idea

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    I remember this from just around when I joined Facepunch... I'd love to see you release that one mining map, that was really amazing.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,943 Posts
    Nice you finally got around releasing it. Now go finish up that dynamic crafting thing

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    26 Posts
    I am indeed sorry for the -Bump- This is some very good use of entities within hammer, Watching your other movies on your channel is inspiring on how powerful hammer really is. I would love to see more of your talents of hammer in some more releases such as this one. I have come across very few things like this, and more than likely if we have more and more people knowing how to do such things with hammer the creativity that could come from it would be fantastic.

ooh last activity 26th of july :( i hope you can respond because i would love to learn from the other things you have made.