1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Boring Info
    So yea I got bored of working on this and decided to release it. It's a (mostly) playable version of minecraft in garry's mod, but instead of trying to recreate the look and feel of the original minecraft I wanted to try and bring more elements of GMod gaming to it. So there are custom textures and block types, not minecraft style.

Minecraft Info
    For those of you who don't know what minecraft is, you don't know what you're missing out on. Head over to http://www.minecraft.net and try out the free creative version. You'll pick it up, it's real simple. For those of you who do know what minecraft is, this is an implementation of the creative mode in GMod.

Technical Info
    - I recommend if you host this, you limit your server to 12 players. This gamemode will not handle any higher player counts.
    - Remember to host gcraft_creative, and not gcraft
    - All world data is stored in data/gcraft/world_data/
    - If you delete these files, the world will not automatically generate
    - To generate a new world, see below

Administration
    - To set the spawn point, type gcr_setspawn whilst standing at where you want players to spawn.
    - To "lock" the current "chunk" (each chunk is 6x6x6 blocks), type gcr_setzone 1. This will make the text at the top turn into "Spawn Zone". (I think gcr_setzone 2 makes it "Locked Zone")
    - To generate a new level (you'll need to do this the first time you host the gamemode), type gcr_generate Flat.
    - You must use gcr_3456_b1 or gcr_3456_b2, no other map will work!
    - The map is included with the download.

Clientside ConVars
    - gcr_mesh_distance (default 1152) - This is the view range in source units of the world. Make it 9999 to see everything at once.

Instructions
    - Aim at a block. Use left click to delete it, or right click to add a block.
    - To change block type, hold Q and select a different block.

Media - Very Very Very Very Old Pictures

Media - Slighly Newer Pictures

Media - Hot off the press
    http://www.xfire.com/video/32f818/ - Thanks to TheDuck
    http://www.xfire.com/video/32f9ef/ - Thanks to TheDuck

Download
    http://www.fortfn.co.uk/files/gcraft.zip - v1.00
    http://www.fortfn.co.uk/files/gcraft_101.zip - v1.01 (LATEST)

Stuff
    I hope a developer sees the potential in this and goes on to make some sub gamemodes, like Castle Wars or something. (I already started this some time ago, if someone wants what I got so far just PM me. It's about 20% finished.)

Feel free to post your pictures of awesome stuff you made in GCraft here! I might just add them to OP.

NOTE
    This is, confusingly, called the same thing as Overv's minecraft-in-gmod gamemode. Overv's version looks more like the original minecraft. This is not Overv's version. Nothing was "stolen", we in fact helped each other whilst developing our gamemodes.

Credits
    Overv - for general help with the concepts used
    Bekka - general scripting, helped out with ideas too (and fun with google documents )
    Blackops - Pointed out some bugs and their fixes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic x 32Dumb x 15Lua King x 5Friendly x 4Agree x 3Useful x 3Optimistic x 2Winner x 2Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    "I'm better than you cuz I got 100 dumbs in 1 post
    February 2009
    1,215 Posts
    Nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,164 Posts
    Are the blocks models or what?
    How deep does the blocks go down?

Looks really cool.

4. Post #4
    December 2009
    397 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 32Agree x 3Friendly x 1Winner x 1Artistic x 1Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Are the blocks models or what?
    How deep does the blocks go down?

Looks really cool.
    The blocks are formed using meshes. All faces that can't be seen by the player (so faces touching another block) aren't even rendered.

The world size is 18x18x4 chunks. Each chunk is 6x6x6 blocks, so that makes the world 108x108x24 blocks big. Each block is 32x32x32 source units, although I've modified the player hull size and camera view so they feel a big bigger than that.

That's pretty cool, bet it lags a bit though. That's 3 people with a claim to the name now

6. Post #6
    December 2009
    397 Posts
    thomasfn posted:
    That's pretty cool, bet it lags a bit though. That's 3 people with a claim to the name now
    Surprisingly it really doesn't lag at all, the only problem is that source runs out of free edicts after about 2k cubes. But yeah, made it months ago ;3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2009
    119 Posts
    I tested your gamemode before it was released :D. Whit Bekka <3. Its awnsome, all you need to make now is mobs xD and crafting, etc.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    I tested your gamemode before it was released :D. Whit Bekka <3. Its awnsome, all you need to make now is mobs xD and crafting, etc.
    I had plans at some point to make survival mode, but I lost interest in the whole thing. Hence this release. If someone else wants to make a (serious) attempt, I can help out though.

9. Post #9
    July 2008
    346 Posts
    I've seen overv doing this as well :P both look interesting although I have never got into the game.

10. Post #10
    guys i have unique darkrp, k?
    May 2008
    1,358 Posts
    At first i expected some shitty recolored box props. I was pleasantly surprised.
    Well done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,227 Posts
    That lava is eye rape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I had plans at some point to make survival mode, but I lost interest in the whole thing. Hence this release. If someone else wants to make a (serious) attempt, I can help out though.
    I'm planning to do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Lua King Lua King x 7 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,714 Posts
    For some reason with the adjusted hulls, when I crouch I move a bit diagonally. Otherwise, really cool.

I got a server up @ dev.blackopsservers.com

14. Post #14
    intercontinental mexican sausage filler
    October 2009
    2,594 Posts
    not trolling or anything but why not just play minecraft. i dont get gamemodes like this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,714 Posts
    Why spend another 10$ on a game when I could just play this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2009
    1,261 Posts
    But creative mode is free :ohdear:

17. Post #17
    January 2009
    8,524 Posts
    Survival mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    539 Posts
    It's €10 (bit more then $10) and this is nothing like survival mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,714 Posts
    I know that. The point I was trying to make was I don't feel like buying the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2010
    562 Posts
    For some reason with the adjusted hulls, when I crouch I move a bit diagonally. Otherwise, really cool.

I got a server up @ dev.blackopsservers.com
    HNNNNNNG I had to download hundreds of files someone make a vanilla server with gcraft only.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,714 Posts
    What files? I had a bunch of addons installed, but they are removed now.. I think..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    March 2009
    184 Posts
    So does the physics in this gamemode mirror those in minecraft? Will sand fall, water/lava spread, etc.?

23. Post #23
    March 2010
    186 Posts
    So does the physics in this gamemode mirror those in minecraft? Will sand fall, water/lava spread, etc.?
    I hope it does, but knowing source, they probably don't :C

@Gcraft, Holyshit <Only words I can use to describe how awesome the game mode is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,859 Posts
    Nice work, looks good.

25. Post #25
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    I hope it does, but knowing source, they probably don't :C

@Gcraft, Holyshit <Only words I can use to describe how awesome the game mode is.
    Source has nothing to do with this, they could fall if they were scripted to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #26

March 2009
    116 Posts
    Someone needs to merge this with the Minecraft skins addon.

NAO.
    (http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=106509)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,714 Posts
    Just a few things that you should fix that I fixed myself.

-You set the players hull serverside, but never clientside. Making it shared fixes movement a lot.
    -You set the gravity in water serverside, but never clientside. Same thing as hull
    -The water swim speed is very low, so you can't even swim properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,912 Posts
    That's my Eiffel Tower. Awesome.
    Also, I specifically remember reminding you about the hull thing that BlackOps talked about, and you said you would add it :|

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    699 Posts
    That's my Eiffel Tower. Awesome.
    Also, I specifically remember reminding you about the hull thing that BlackOps talked about, and you said you would add it :|
    Your ugly Eiffel Tower is next to meh beautiful Castle. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts
    I think this has finally persuaded me to buy the actual Minecraft. Good show.

I like the game mode, too. Props on having the blocks auto-save.

31. Post #31
    September 2001
    12,434 Posts
    Nice one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree x 21Friendly x 14Optimistic x 1Zing x 1Informative x 1Lua King x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    JovaCentral
    September 2009
    787 Posts
    Aw :( It should have stayed private :P.

Nice job anyways, thomas. Thanks for letting me host the gamemode during beta.

My GCraft server is always gonna be the official GCraft server :D

24.61.215.107:27015 (up most of the time)

FYI: To anybody that doesn't already know this, on Initial spawn, you need to render all of the blocks once, so walk around or fly around a little and render all of the blocks before you start playing the game. It's just more convenient when you don't get little lag spikes while rendering the blocks.

33. Post #33
    March 2010
    18 Posts
    Totally goes with this. http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=106509

Kinda wish I could use my skin with this now.. so awesome.

Edit: welp, beaten. perhaps NPCs http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=91229
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2010
    287 Posts
    Might make a server with the minecraft playermodels

35. Post #35
    January 2010
    90 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Just a few things that you should fix that I fixed myself.

-You set the players hull serverside, but never clientside. Making it shared fixes movement a lot.
    -You set the gravity in water serverside, but never clientside. Same thing as hull
    -The water swim speed is very low, so you can't even swim properly.
    - Ahh, that explains the weird movement behaviour. Thanks alot!
    - Yes, this was before garry made SetGravity shared. Easy to fix.
    - You can swim sideways fine, but upwards is tricky. Should be an easy fix.

I wasn't planning to update this or anything, but with all this support I'm sure I can afford to release a few bug fixes. Thanks for all the help guys! Gonna add credits section to OP.

Edit:
    Oh and blocks do not fall like in minecraft, so no falling sand/gravel. This would be very hard (if not impossible) to do with the current system.

37. Post #37
    January 2010
    90 Posts
    New video :P Built epic castle with my friend. http://www.xfire.com/video/32f9ef/

38. Post #38
    August 2010
    284 Posts
    This looks as boring as regular MineCraft.

Maybe add something unique about it (Other than the fact that you can play it in Garry's Mod, that's cool.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #39

June 2009
    53 Posts
    You say not to run more than 12 slots. Is this because the gamemode can't handle it, or because it rapes CPU?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    You say not to run more than 12 slots. Is this because the gamemode can't handle it, or because it rapes CPU?
    Both.

There isn't a physical restriction in the code, like "if players > 12 then crash() end" or something, but each player adds a hefty chunk of data to the netgraph and at 12 players the server starts to noticeably lag. It could be fixed, but I lack a certain Lua binding to do so (I think there's a dll that does it though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)