1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    So to be honest I haven't done much along these lines before, but I want to make a desk for my room. It helps that I'm not 14 and I built one of those small prefab houses in mexico once so im an expert!!
    I've got all the basic equipment to make it and I've also got money. I want something lightweight and durable. I could move out in a couple years so I'd like to take it with me to wherever I go.

It'll be an L shaped desk and here's the dimensions in my professional layout image i spent 4 hours on making this so pls dont laugh

Ok and seriously here's a mockup of it in my room with all my hardware on top, ALL to scale. I've got enough of a gap from the walls and windowsill to run cabling.

Any recommendations on what wood to use and such? I'm sure I'll be capable of making something of fairly good quality but I mainly just want it to be sleek and functional.

2. Post #2
    April 2011
    307 Posts
    use 1.5 inch plywood for the sides and 2 inch for the tabletop. spray about 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of whatever color you want. i would finish it by laying some lexan on the top, for a shiny and non sticky surface.

and let it dry, for a long time.

3. Post #3
    March 2007
    230 Posts
    Let's hope at least you are able to whack together something remotely looking like a desk, unlike that kid.

Oh well it seems you've put a lot of thought into it, so good luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2011
    307 Posts
    Let's hope at least you are able to whack together something remotely looking like a desk, unlike that kid.

Oh well it seems you've put a lot of thought into it, so good luck.
    what kid?

5. Post #5

6. Post #6
    April 2011
    307 Posts
    oh lol

Edited:

i have faith in you Dog

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    thx~

wow thanks tumblr my picture is broken

reupped

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    629 Posts
    I'd suggest filing the corners, don't want to fall over and hit ur head or arm's etc on them sharp corners.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    Either way make sure there is support for w/e you are going to be using this desk for (looks like a PC)
    Perhaps you could place your tower underneath you wouldnt be placing a heavy load on it then.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,067 Posts
    I'd suggest filing the corners, don't want to fall over and hit ur head or arm's etc on them sharp corners.
    Fucking this, a detail like that is actually surprisingly important.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,105 Posts
    I would make it in 2 pieces, one rectangular piece and a separate square, pushed together. It would be modular so if you want to put it somewhere else in the room you can just place the square in the other side or make one long desk, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    Either way make sure there is support for w/e you are going to be using this desk for (looks like a PC)
    Perhaps you could place your tower underneath you wouldnt be placing a heavy load on it then.
    If you look at the ref pic I made, the tower is sticking out from the side of the desk.
    on top will be two monitors, keyboard, mouse, speakers, 3d mouse, xbox, tablet

I need to look more into how to support all of this. Should I just triangle the shit out of the sides underneath the desk?

Edited:

I would make it in 2 pieces, one rectangular piece and a separate square, pushed together. It would be modular so if you want to put it somewhere else in the room you can just place the square in the other side or make one long desk, etc.
    I would do that if this wasn't my first time building something of my own design. It does sound really cool though!

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,105 Posts
    It would be much easier than cutting L shape. Squares and rectangles are easiest shapes to cut, problem is you would end up with extra legs, which would possibly get in your way if monitors are on the corner of the desk.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,226 Posts
    good point. I really like the modular idea, but for the sake of mobility (readjusting to use tablet, etc) and being comfortable I'd like to go with the straight up L

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,105 Posts
    That is probably the best way to go with if you want to keep it as simple as possible. Obviously with enough work you could make the modular version but it really causes too much hassle for what it accomplishes.

16. Post #16
    June 2007
    910 Posts
    I'll make a CAD plan (as I got sod-all to do tomorrow) and you can see what you think.

Also, it'll be in mm, because I'm a stubborn Britishman, and inches measurements hurt my head.

17. Post #17
    June 2007
    910 Posts
    Sorry for lateness - shit happened.
    Here's a screen. No more than 10mins work. C&C? If you like, I can drop you a link to the PDF.

The bubble-thing in blue is a suggested idea of cutting out a section in the MDF for uneven floors. The height of the desk is 720mm (wasn't sure if there was an ergonomic measurement) and the shelf is 200mm high. And you'll need 2 x 18mm MDF boards (standard 8x4 or 1220x2440mm), and 2 bits of 2x2. (582mm long)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    637 Posts
    If that's the layout for cutting on the right hand side I would say to nest it a bit more, that way you will save excess material.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,105 Posts
    You can definetely squeeze them tighter together, one cut should do both sections.

20. Post #20
    June 2007
    910 Posts
    back panel is too big to fit into the other sheet. Either way, you're going to need 2 sheets and it was the best set-up.

21. Post #21
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    who puts their computer case on their desk
    i mean srsly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    July 2008
    615 Posts

I do, its easy to plug/unplug your shit.
    Also I have my laptop on my desktop (yo dawg)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,574 Posts
    what happened to the side of your pc oh god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,001 Posts
    what happened to the side of your pc oh god
    He used it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2008
    615 Posts
    I bought it from someone who has a fear of water, you don't want to see what the inside looked like...

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,720 Posts
    So to be honest I haven't done much along these lines before, but I want to make a desk for my room. It helps that I'm not 14 and I built one of those small prefab houses in mexico once so im an expert!!
    I've got all the basic equipment to make it and I've also got money. I want something lightweight and durable. I could move out in a couple years so I'd like to take it with me to wherever I go.

It'll be an L shaped desk and here's the dimensions in my professional layout image i spent 4 hours on making this so pls dont laugh

Ok and seriously here's a mockup of it in my room with all my hardware on top, ALL to scale. I've got enough of a gap from the walls and windowsill to run cabling.

Any recommendations on what wood to use and such? I'm sure I'll be capable of making something of fairly good quality but I mainly just want it to be sleek and functional.
    sorry for the very pointless bump but i sent op a private message and i didn't get an answer

does anyone know what modeling program that is in the quote?

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,846 Posts
    He used it?
    How the heck do you use the side of your pc??

28. Post #28
    January 2012
    42 Posts
    I buy mine.
    Much quicker TBH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,429 Posts
    sorry for the very pointless bump but i sent op a private message and i didn't get an answer

does anyone know what modeling program that is in the quote?
    It could really be any, you can't really tell from a render. If you're looking for a modeling program I highly reccomend Blender. It's a free all-around good package.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,923 Posts
    He used it?
    More like shot BB guns at it when he got bored.

Edited:

Actually it looks like there's cocaine everywhere.

31. Post #31

April 2011
    4,466 Posts
    More like shot BB guns at it when he got bored.

Edited:

Actually it looks like there's cocaine everywhere.
    It looks like it's coming out of the vents.

OP, we know where your stash is now.