1. Post #1
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts

Two brothers face the fight of a lifetime - and the wreckage of their broken family - within the brutal, high-stakes world of mixed martial arts. An ex-Marine haunted by a tragic past, Tommy Riordan returns to his hometown of Pittsburgh and enlists his father, a recovering alcoholic and his former coach, to train him for an MMA tournament awarding the biggest purse in the history of the sport. As Tommy blazes a violent path towards the title prize, his brother, Brendan, a former UFC fighter unable to make ends meet as a public school teacher, returns to the amateur ring to provide for his family. Even though years have passed, recriminations and past betrayals keep Brendan bitterly estranged from both Tommy and his father. But when Brendan's unlikely rise as an underdog sets him on a collision course with Tommy, the two brothers must finally confront the forces that tore them apart, all the while waging the most intense, winner-takes-all battle of their lives.
    I haven't seen this yet, but I got pretty high hopes for this film. Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton and Nick Nolte all own.

Hopefully it is less "never back down" tripe and more "The fighter". As such, it'd be nice to finally get a film that shows MMA in a realistic light, rather than the corny over the top crap in never back down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,328 Posts
    fucking love joel edgerton

he needs to be in more shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2010
    587 Posts
    I saw this yesterday, it was absolutely fantastic. Much better then The Fighter if you ask me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

August 2007
    3,017 Posts
    Saw this the other day, fucking incredible film, surprised it didn't get more publicity.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    UFC? Booo, boxing movies all the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2010
    3 Posts
    I saw this yesterday, it was absolutely fantastic. Much better then The Fighter if you ask me.
    than*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    UFC? Booo, boxing movies all the way.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the name of the sport, but whatever...

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    Mixed Martial Arts is the name of the sport, but whatever...
    his brother, Brendan, a former UFC fighter unable to make en
    That's all I read.

9. Post #9
    :v:
    December 2009
    868 Posts
    This is my favorite movie of all time. Tom Hardy is such an underrated yet amazing actor.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,210 Posts
    This was a pretty interesting movie. I can't say I didn't enjoy it at all, but I had some problems with it. I just really hate how    Brendan breaks Tommy's shoulder via omaplata, and the match still went on. Pretty unrealistic. Not in a sense that he couldn't fight on at all, but rather the fact that no MMA organization in their right mind would allow an injured fighter to continue fighting. Yeah, I know it's a movie, but I just was displeased with that. If they ended the match with the submission, I would have been happy.   

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,289 Posts
    I loved the movie i thought it was great

12. Post #12
    February 2012
    150 Posts
    Nolte is actually nominated for best supporting actor in the upcoming Academy Awards for his role in this film. I can't really compare it to The Fighter because they are about different things. Warrior is definitely well acted and you'll find it's more about the people than the fights. That's not to say that the fights aren't fucking awesome. More so Hardy's character than Edgerton's but still they are wonderfully choreographed. One of my favorite films of 2011.

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    709 Posts
    This movie was superb, one of my favorites from 2011.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    January 2012
    609 Posts
    It's pretty difficult to pull off BJJ in film and make it look cool, since it's highly technical and the average person doesn't have a clue what is going on, they just see two sweaty men on top of each other. However, this movie did a good job at it. Was unrealistically fast paced, but technically sound as far as I saw.

Also, Hardy has some ridiculous traps in this film. Watching it makes me want to pick up heavy things and do shrugs.

15. Post #15
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    I recently watching and really liked it. Hardy played the utter badass marvellously and Joel Edgerton made me really hope (Ending:   he would win the way he did.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)