1. Post #1
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    I would like to know if there is a way to make a minimalist account for using my laptop on the go to conserve processing power and battery life. My laptop runs out of power pretty quickly (the battery is fine, just too many background processes I think). I'd like to just use Google Chrome on this user account. Can I disable system processes on only one user account or does it affect all of them. Also, should I use blackviper's barebones recommendations?

I just want a profile for when I'm not plugged in, is light weight in terms of OS demands, and will help conserve battery life.

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    You could start with a Limited user account, and then further lock it down with group policies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    When you make the limited account, you can access: Control Panel > Power Options to tweak the power usage and how long it takes before dimming, sleeping, and turning off power to the harddrive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    So far I have an account named "web" set up that only has the necessary processes running using BlackVipers "tweaked" settings. It's pretty damn fast and saves some energy as well. It starts with Chrome maximized on boot. Does pretty much what I need it to. My laptop just has shit battery consumption. I could go for a net book.

5. Post #5
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,687 Posts
    What I would do is to try and install the free chromeOS lime in dual boot so you have both it and windows. Boots real fast, runs well and only has web browsing with google chrome. And it uses less resources than windows so I'm sure your battery would last longer.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1144844
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Karen Gillan <3
    April 2006
    3,541 Posts
    I'm guessing you could also check out http://www.jolicloud.com
    I've trialled it and it's decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    What I would do is to try and install the free chromeOS lime in dual boot so you have both it and windows. Boots real fast, runs well and only has web browsing with google chrome. And it uses less resources than windows so I'm sure your battery would last longer.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1144844
    I'd try this too, but the last time I did I had problems with drivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    I'd try this too, but the last time I did I had problems with drivers.
    Are you sure you tried Lime? You may have tried Vanilla/Flow. Lime has support for more drivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)