1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,992 Posts
    I'm willing to pay $10 just to support the project. It's nice to think that you can make a profit of of something you're good at and like doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
    I haven't played the mod yet and i will wait for the remake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    Not really liked the mod because of the huge lack of english subtitles for the narrator, and it didn't look pretty well to me.

But I'm sure I'll change my mind with that remake.

4. Post #164
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    712 Posts
    According to the Steam page: "Every play-through a unique experience, with randomly generated audio, visuals and events."

So that's interesting. I'm going to get this game because it looks really good and I know I will enjoy the experience of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,637 Posts
    Bumping because this comes out in ~4 days. Really looking forward to this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #166
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    5,954 Posts
    Less than 20 hours left.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,208 Posts
    It's been a long way and wait and I can't believe we are less than 19 hours away. I'm ready to get my mind blown.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    23 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

9. Post #169

April 2011
    224 Posts
    And here we go for the greatest boredom simulator of all time...
    But visually, there is nothing to say : it rocks, it's beautiful.

However, we'll soon see if the loading times will suffer from that Source "power boost".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 2Zing Zing x 2 (list)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,039 Posts
    I can't wait to spend $10 so that I can walk through a brown, gray, and slightly blue environment that's really pretty for thirty minutes and gain absolutely nothing from the experience.

GOTY
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 13Funny x 4Zing x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,364 Posts
    Should be fun to mess with the Dear Esther's content in my mod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,637 Posts
    I'm hoping they're running that on low or something because it looks really bad graphics-wise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    3,837 Posts
    RPS posted a "Wot I Think" for it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...k-dear-esther/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,326 Posts
    I'm hoping they're running that on low or something because it looks really bad graphics-wise.
    yes, that was on low

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,208 Posts
    Ok, I've read almost every big publication review and I'm ready to make my purchase. It was really helpful to see a lot of visions about the game and I'm really surprised about the positive feedback, despite the title being "unusual".

Here are some reviews, I strongly recommend to read them all completely:
    IGN - 8.0 http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218568p1.html
    Gamespot - 8.0 http://www.gamespot.com/dear-esther/...eview-6349936/
    PC Gamer - 84 http://www.pcgamer.com/review/dear-esther-review/
    EDGE Magazine - 8 http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/dear-esther-review
    Destructoid - 4.5 http://www.destructoid.com/review-de...r-221082.phtml
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chile Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #176
    May 2011
    499 Posts

I hope this guy and the 25 others are just joking, because that's the worst comment I've ever seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,840 Posts
    Dear Ester? What
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #178
    I paid $999.99 for a forum upgrade and all I got was a beating from my mother :(
    February 2005
    16,981 Posts

I hope this guy and the 25 others are just joking, because that's the worst comment I've ever seen.
    the island needs russians and arabian soldiers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    23 Posts
    IGN video-review with some in-game footage. May contain spoilers.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 3 (list)

20. Post #180
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    I don't know why, but after reading these reviews I strongly feel that Dear Esther would be even better if it gave a little more attention to exploring. What I mean is, that it would be even better if the game could tell it's story not only by narration but also exploration, like being able to read in-game books and so on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #181
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    712 Posts
    I'm not going to read any of the reviews or watch the videos - don't want to spoil the experience at all! Also - less than 2 hours left!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    859 Posts
    I'm not going to read any of the reviews or watch the videos - don't want to spoil the experience at all! Also - less than 2 hours left!

I'm gonna buy this the instant it becomes available.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    369 Posts
    Damn it steam, I want it NOW! "This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour" has told me that for the last 2 hours :(

24. Post #184
    April 2009
    2,323 Posts
    Downloading right now.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,644 Posts
    Bought and am now downloading, from the trailers, this looks like it was worth my 7

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,046 Posts
    Bought it.

27. Post #187
    vuu
    June 2009
    155 Posts
    It's finally out! Too bad I'm swamped with work today, otherwise I'd buy it right now.

28. Post #188
    September 2006
    48 Posts
    Bought it. Gonna play for a while before bed. Really looking forward to it! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,208 Posts
    ACCQUIRED. Now to Download! Hoping to read your impressions later guys.

It's finally out! Too bad I'm swamped with work today, otherwise I'd buy it right now.
    That's why Steam mobile was created :P

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,309 Posts
    I hope he releases some kind of statistics of how many people bought it release day and what not.

31. Post #191
    January 2012
    191 Posts
    Is it worth the money ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,046 Posts
    Just bought. Can't wait to see this.

EDIT:

The price was only 7.99, 2 lower than expected. Anyone knows why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    November 2009
    2,490 Posts
    who got it posts screens please?

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    363 Posts
    who got it posts screens please?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #195
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,431 Posts
    Just finished, definitely lived up to my expectations. The parts I found the most memorable was the    hallucination of the road    in the caves, and the improved animation in the ending cutscene. The graphics look even better in gameplay, there's a whole lot of detail on everything. Now I'm debating whether or not to get the soundtrack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #196
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    Most emotionally involved I've ever been in a game. Really incredible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

37. Post #197

September 2011
    131 Posts
    Well that was... different.

First of all: It's not really a game. On the sliding scale from film to game it's one notch away from the film end. There's no interaction with the world, you can't jump or crouch, you can't even run. (Not criticisms, just describing it.)

There are no puzzles or anything you would usually associate with the word 'game'. That it is on a game engine and you control where to look and when to move are the only game elements.

It's 100% atmosphere and narrative, occasionally creepy. There's a little exploring but it's basically just "go down this path or go down that path" choices, not free-roaming. You're channelled down specific paths.

Actually reminded me a bit of Half Life 2: The Lost Coast, except with all the gamey bits removed and replaced with poetry. And also it looks about 1000 times better. It's a visual experience more than anything... the screenshots and trailer don't do it justice. Apart from anything else it's an incredible Source engine tech demo. Anyone who says this engine outdated should "play" this. Some incredible vistas from the cliffs looking down to where you were just exploring. More impressive than anything I saw in Crysis or Skyrim for example, maybe not in terms of shaders and polygon counts, but in terms of aesthetic beauty.

At 75mins it's a short film (where not much happens), but 7 is about the price of a cinema ticket so it was worth it imo. If you like visual poetry or tech demos I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

38. Post #198
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,644 Posts
    Well that was... different.

First of all: It's not really a game. On the sliding scale from film to game it's one notch away from the film end. There's no interaction with the world, you can't jump or crouch, you can't even run. (Not criticisms, just describing it.)

There are no puzzles or anything you would usually associate with the word 'game'. That it is on a game engine and you control where to look and when to move are the only game elements.

It's 100% atmosphere and narrative, occasionally creepy. There's a little exploring but it's basically just "go down this path or go down that path" choices, not free-roaming. You're channelled down specific paths.

Actually reminded me a bit of Half Life 2: The Lost Coast, except with all the gamey bits removed and replaced with poetry. And also it looks about 1000 times better. It's a visual experience more than anything... the screenshots and trailer don't do it justice. Apart from anything else it's an incredible Source engine tech demo. Anyone who says this engine outdated should "play" this. Some incredible vistas from the cliffs looking down to where you were just exploring. More impressive than anything I saw in Crysis or Skyrim for example, maybe not in terms of shaders and polygon counts, but in terms of aesthetic beauty.

At 75mins it's a short film (where not much happens), but 7 is about the price of a cinema ticket so it was worth it imo. If you like visual poetry or tech demos I guess.
    What you just said is 100% accurate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,309 Posts
    What Jaxe42 said, although I really think $10 was pushing it I honestly don't think it was worth that much for what it was.

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,187 Posts
    Seriously that was one of the best games ( if you even call it that) that I've ever played.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)