1. Post #1
    FUCK OFF garry, I am a goddamn proud swedish moose, not a fucking british heathen!
    July 2010
    3,191 Posts
    Code:
    Now he is fat with style, Valve's Gabe Newell has apperently grown a cool looking beard!
    Is there anything you’re seeing in terms of the inputs or outputs you’re experimenting with that you’re personally jazzed about, or you think that is really bearing fruit, or will in the near future?

Yeah, I mean there’s a surprising amount going on with new – they used to be called wearable computing before those all got kind of set on fire by losing investment firms hundreds of millions of dollars, so nobody wants to call them wearable computing, but they sort of look like the old wearable computing solutions, the difference being that they’re way higher resolution, way lighter weight, much better battery life, and things like that. It seems like just about the time that everybody gave up on them they actually started to become interesting, so we’ve been seeing a lot of stuff go on in that space that gets us excited. We’re trying to get our–the experiments we’ve been doing in–you know we did a ton of work on biofeedback, on biometrics, and that’ll, you know, from our point of view we were like “okay, this is all sort of proven out” and we’re just sort of scratching our heads trying to figure out the best way to get that hardware out to customers without something where we’d just say “okay, this works.” it’s not a question of whether or not this is going to be useful for customers, whether or not it’s going to be useful for content developers, you know, it’s figuring out the best way we can get these into people’s hands.

So we’re thinking of trying to figure out how to do the equivalent of the [Team Fortress] incremental approach in software design and try to figure out how would you get something similar to that in the hardware space as well. The sort of old method of, you know, let’s go make a giant pile of inventory and hope that some set of applications emerge to justify this giant hardware investment doesn’t seem to be the – very consistent with what we’ve seen to be the fastest ways to move stuff forward, so we’re trying to come up with an alternative to that that gives us the ability to iterate more rapidly. That stuff we’re like “this is good,” now we just need to figure out how we can start giving these to customers and iterating on the design quickly enough without having to go off and buy ten million of them and then find out we did something mildly stupid and then having to throw them all away and start over.
    Now we’re talking about things like wearable computers and biofeedback and we’ve touched on Steam a little bit but there’s millions of people out there who are gnashing their teeth when they read this who just want to play Episode 3 or Left 4 Dead 3. Is there ever tension between all the different things that Valve is interested in doing?

Oh absolutely. We’re acutely aware of how much we annoy our fans and it’s pretty frustrating to us when we put them into that situation. We try to go as fast as we can and we try to pick the things that we think are going to be most valuable to our customers and if there’s some magic way we can get more work done in a day then we’d love to hear about it, but we recognize that it’s been a long time whereas we have so many games that people really love–Counterstrike, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, not a whole lot of Ricochet enthusiasts out there, and at the same time we want to be making sure that those games and those stories and those characters are moving forward while also making sure that we don’t just get into terminal sequelitis.
    But we’ve always somehow, you know, part of the reason that we backed off talking so much about what was happening in the future is that when we’ve done that in the past, you know, with Half Life 1 it was a year after we originally said it would be, Half Life 2 basically if you go and read the forum posts apparently took us fifty or sixty years to get done so we’re trying to be careful not to get people too excited and then have to go and disappoint them. So we’re sort of reacting in the other direction and saying “okay, well let’s have things a little more baked before we start getting people all excited about it.”
    Read this and much more at >> The PA Report
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 57Funny x 7Informative x 2Late x 2Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2009
    5,665 Posts
    dat beard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 69 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    530 Posts
    holy shit
    that beard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 28Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    IM WEIRD
    September 2007
    1,914 Posts
    I thought that was a photoshop the first time I saw it.
    Clearly I was wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,439 Posts
    Am i the only one who thinks he looked better without a beard? He looks loads older now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 34Disagree Disagree x 15Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,979 Posts
    Fuck the beard, I'm more interested in that quite obvious Ep3 comment

Edited:

Actually that is quite a nice beard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    ~ pissing excellence ~
    May 2005
    2,834 Posts
    Am i the only one who thinks he looked better without a beard? He looks loads older now.
    The older the wiser.
    I agree with waiting a little more on infos about HL3 and what not.

8. Post #8
    IM WEIRD
    September 2007
    1,914 Posts
    Looks more distinguished.
    Old Saint Gaben bringing us episode three.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 22Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2007
    145 Posts
    Holy shit he looks even more bad ass!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    he's going to be a lot older by the time Half life 3 or whatever it's now called is out

11. Post #11
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,205 Posts
    I never knew Valve has hardware labs.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    1,912 Posts
    What happened to him, he looks old now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,205 Posts
    The guy writing the interview is an idiot.

"we’d rather hardware people that are good at manufacturing and distributing hardware do that."

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    847 Posts

holy shit.

Edited:

this is official.

GABE IS SANTA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 49 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,996 Posts
    Valve time claims its first victim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 46Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Lieutenant-General of the United FP Alliance
    April 2011
    5,041 Posts
    Good Ol' Gabe. Now with styles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,456 Posts
    Holy shit he looks even more bad ass!
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2009
    3,687 Posts
    He looks like a fat Robin Williams.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2011
    499 Posts
    Interesting article. (and beard)
    So we’re sort of reacting in the other direction and saying "okay, well let’s have things a little more baked before we start getting people all excited about it."
    This is why it's taking so long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,887 Posts
    That's one classy beard.

Gratz on the level up to the "Awesome game developer with beard" level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,794 Posts
    Holy fuck did he get that beard in a Mann-Co crate

it looks fucking amazing

22. Post #22
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,423 Posts
    I want to tap that beard and feel it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,626 Posts
    So they're basically actually trying to get ep3 near finished before announcement? Awesome.

24. Post #24
    June 2011
    628 Posts
    This article is even more interesting:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...tour-though-th
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    9 Posts
    Damn. Didn't recognized him first time. Cool beard, stylish. Good article also.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,123 Posts
    Seeing that picture made me a bit sad because it looks like he is getting really old even though he only 49 years old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

27. Post #27
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,887 Posts
    Seeing that picture made me a bit sad because it looks like he is getting really old even though he only 49 years old.
    Being overweight for a prolonged period of your life usually takes it's toll after a while.

[sub]I'm serious, this is not a hidden fat joke or something.[/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    May 2011
    564 Posts

genius
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 34Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2011
    542 Posts
    Left 4 beard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chile Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    NICE BEARD YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

31. Post #31
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,704 Posts
    He looks like a bigger Robin Williams.

Edited:

It looks great on him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,610 Posts
    His beard would look nice if his hair wasn't so, dirty and unclean.

33. Post #33
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,542 Posts
    Santa Gabe!

34. Post #34

July 2010
    4,575 Posts
    we recognize that it’s been a long time whereas we have so many games that people really love–Counterstrike, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, not a whole lot of Ricochet enthusiasts out there
    not a whole lot of Ricochet enthusiasts out there
    Fuck you too Gabe Newell
    Fuck you too ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,399 Posts
    oh my god I need the PDO/PDF of this right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    January 2012
    1,577 Posts
    Valve is the only place I ever want to work at. Ever.

Better start learning C++!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,247 Posts
    oh my god I need the PDO/PDF of this right now
    Two valves up, three valves down....

It's all a conspiracy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,382 Posts
    Two valves up, three valves down....

It's all a conspiracy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    Dennab
    July 2009
    9,002 Posts
    Gabe looks identical to my father with that beard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts
    He looks like a fat Robin Williams.
    Looks like a fat george lucas to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)