1. Post #561
    NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING
    March 2009
    3,235 Posts

mapping and shit or something
    This looks nothing like what you normally wake. I fear change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #562
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #563
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Yeah, windows would probably look nice in the upper part of the middle building.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #564
    December 2009
    3,742 Posts
    Yeah, windows would probably look nice in the upper part of the middle building.
    Dat pagestretch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #565
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    I img_thumb'd everything for ya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #566
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Dat pagestretch.
    You should put you monitor is a better res than 640x480 :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #567
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    511 Posts
    Help me make this better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #568
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    It's already quite nice. It has nice cast light, shadows, enough detail to add life, but not too much. You haven't plastered 16 signs around the door, a little bit of graffiti, textures are nice.

Possibly add something on the back wall, a large bit of junk or a pipe as it looks a little bare, but it isn't bad at all.

See, i can be nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #569
    December 2009
    3,742 Posts
    You should put you monitor is a better res than 640x480 :)
    Before he img_thumbed everything after I said "dat page-stretch" it was all in a line at: 6144 pixels height.

But I am sure your monitor is much higher res than that.

Also I am on a 1920x1080 screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #570
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,697 Posts
    I think the lighting is kind of bland. Slightly changing the colour of the light might make a difference for the better.

Could also use some debris props on the floor. prop_static --> models\props_junk\garbage<numbersgohere>_composite <morenumbersandalettertoo>.mdl are quite nice. Remember to disable shadows on these props or they'll look like crap.

Oh, and the windows really need frames. So does the door. Oh, and the grains of the wood on the sides of the window are pointing in a direction that makes it look terrible.

Also, to those who suggested I add more windows to that thingy, I didn't. I did something else instead. (as I had originally planned)

http://i.imgur.com/AAGUZ.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #571
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Before he img_thumbed everything after I said "dat page-stretch" it was all in a line at: 6144 pixels height.

But I am sure your monitor is much higher res than that.

Also I am on a 1920x1080 screen.
    1650x1050 here...but its only a 19 inch...
    The other is a 15 inch...so its only good for tv when im gaming or mapping.

I love my screens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #572
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    511 Posts

Gotta improve the windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #573
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 8Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #574
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,342 Posts
    -snip-

15. Post #575
    October 2007
    323 Posts
    Trying to set up some interesting night-time lighting:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Mapping King Mapping King x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #576
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,613 Posts
    Looks like you succeeded. That looks fantastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #577
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    I was about to say how nice that looks, but then I realised who you are and thought "oh, no wonder."

I wish I could grasp tf2's artstyle. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #578
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    511 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

19. Post #579
    June 2010
    208 Posts
    Door/window frames look much better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

20. Post #580
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #581
    July 2008
    1,340 Posts
    -Wrong thread, sorry about that-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1Agree x 1Informative x 1Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #582
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    719 Posts
    Who would you guys recommend to watch mapping tutorials from?
    Rocketrascal34/TopHatWaffle is who I follow, though I learned from Interlopers and the VDC. I think the only thing I go to 3kliks for is the water texture video and his light_environment (advanced) video, they show useful texture names/parameters and visual examples.
    BTW If any of you lot want someone to give him a talking face-to-face, I live less than 30 minutes away from him. (I won't do anything of the sort, don't worry.)

Brighten up the light coming from the windows and see how that affects the room and its mood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #583
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,047 Posts
    I think the only thing I go to 3kliks for is the water texture video)
    Haha, me too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #584
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,416 Posts
    Ironpheonix is reading this thread and someone mentioned 3kliksphillip

get down
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

25. Post #585
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Ironpheonix is reading this thread and someone mentioned 3kliksphillip

get down
    Sorry?

I was talking to a contact about a precision drone strike just over 3kliks house...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

26. Post #586
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    What's the problem with 3klik's tutorials?

edit:
    They're shitty and teach bad techniques.
    Bad techniques? Please show me one example and a better technique for that, I'm curious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #587
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    What's the problem with 3klik's tutorials?
    They're shitty and teach bad techniques.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #588
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    742 Posts
    Bad techniques? Please show me one example and a better technique for that, I'm curious.
    Well right from the start, making skyboxes with overlapping edges (i.e. make hollow without going back with vertex editing)

29. Post #589
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    3klik's philip is a master of carve, I mean he can carve your face out of brushes on request, he also does displacements from carve..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #590
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    So, only listen to ironPhoenix's and FireGod's tutorials I guess?
    It seems that I always learn something new every day in this community, this is why I love being there. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

31. Post #591
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    So, only listen to ironPhoenix's and FireGod's tutorials I guess?
    It seems that I always learn something new every day in this community, this is why I love being there. Thanks for the suggestions!
    And firegod...he is a god of mapping really.

Some of 3kliks tutorials are a bit dubious...its why i don't reccommend them, as you can get a bad one.

32. Post #592
    October 2007
    323 Posts
    Needs punchier lighting here but I've started detailing some:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

33. Post #593
    Probably the most arrogant mapper in the World
    June 2007
    1,717 Posts
    It's a bit dark for a TF2 map. You should probably add some floodlights or similar to light it up a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #594
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Needs punchier lighting here but I've started detailing some:
    This is gonna be good.

35. Post #595
    October 2007
    323 Posts
    It's a bit dark for a TF2 map. You should probably add some floodlights or similar to light it up a bit.
    It's out of bounds, the concern isn't the overall brightness, but the visual interest of it, which currently is low.

36. Post #596
    Probably the most arrogant mapper in the World
    June 2007
    1,717 Posts
    It's out of bounds, the concern isn't the overall brightness, but the visual interest of it, which currently is low.
    Well I'd say a floodlight would still do, you could create some interesting shadows with it. Anyway add some barrels and crates there to make it more interesting, maybe a small shack by the building.

Also disable the shadows on those bushes to get rid of those pitch black shadows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

37. Post #597
    October 2007
    323 Posts
    Also disable the shadows on those bushes to get rid of those pitch black shadows.
    They're models with no collision model and it's a quick compile, as such, no -staticproppolys.

38. Post #598
    November 2008
    52 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #599
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,353 Posts
    Go orange rather than yellow, but I like the cobble-y road texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #600
    November 2010
    2,871 Posts
    May I ask why you chose the sand texture for the ground?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)