1. Post #641
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,835 Posts
    FFFUUUUUCK
    My sound card drivers don't support Win8 :((
    Thank fuck for compatability modes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #642
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    45 minutes left :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

3. Post #643
    August 2005
    26 Posts
    Okay, So I tried out the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Was working great until I installed the Nvidia Windows 8 64 bit drivers, now I haven't got any display at all.

So I was like, ah no worries I'll just go into safe mode and remove the driver so it can go back to the generic Windows drivers for the time being.

Nope.

Turns out that pressing F8 on it's own doesn't do anything but continue to boot as normal, neither does Shift + F8.

Now I did use the developer preview and I know that F8 did bring up a graphical interface and that shift F8 did give me the option for safe mode, but now it seems as if it was removed for some reason

Can someone else check to see if they can get into safe mode and that it's not just me being dumb?

Edit:
    Tried to use the refresh Windows feature, it completed but I STILL have no display.

Edit 2:
    Meh, ended up deleting the Nvidia drivers by using another OS. Best wait until they release a newer version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #644
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    so lets see if i can get sound working.

I know atleast all of you have realtek sound so tell me the trick to make it work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

5. Post #645
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,112 Posts
    I don't have a windows key. Will I have problems?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #646
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    yes you do its on the iso download page
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #647
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,787 Posts
    DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

Edited:

I like how perfectly this lines up:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #648
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Fucking Chrome died on me at the last 50Mb with no option to continue the download. Firefox it is!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #649
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    of course it will just default to the jacks on the back of the computer that i am not using :L

Edited:

Fucking Chrome died on me at the last 50Mb with no option to continue the download. Firefox it is!
    jdownloader

Edited:

8 wont let me have access to my 7 user folder :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #650
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Just blazing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #651
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,835 Posts
    of course it will just default to the jacks on the back of the computer that i am not using :L

Edited:

jdownloader

Edited:

8 wont let me have access to my 7 user folder :(
    I got that, trying to change locations for your documents?
    Open them in explorer, then try again.

Edited:

Also, how do I add shortcuts and stuff to my start menu?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #652
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    188 Posts
    List of small niggles.

1. Power button should be easier to find. It should (imo) only require 1 click to get to and should be accessible with keyboard only.

2. It can be hard (aka require minimal concentration) to actually hit the right “hover mouse over”-spot in the corners if you have multiple monitors.

3. Clicking the network connection icon in the Explorer tray (at the clock) opens a Metro side bar with an overview of network connections. If the computer is connected with an Ethernet cable, clicking the Ethernet icon in the Metro bar does nothing. It should allow more configuration options when clicked (like setting IP/DHCP).

Good things:

1. They changed the text on the “defrag” button in the defragmenter to “optimize”. This is a clever move since it makes it more likely that illiterate people will actually press this button more often. Who doesn’t like to “optimize” right? “Defrag“ just doesn’t sound pleasant.

2. The ribbon UI in Explorer is hidden and pups out when you need it. Great! I was afraid that it would be open all the time as in office.

+ more good stuff I don't remember.

This is just my initial thoughts from using Win8 for 1-2 hours. So far I’m not really sold. It is usable sure, but it doesn’t seem “better” UI-wise. I know there are some under-the-hood changes, but the new UI really scares me. I just don’t like the idea of Metro blocking my screen when I have to search for something(The Metro search is nice though). It really feels like they are dumbing Windows down and making it harder, or less fluent, to multitask. I can handle switching between many applications in Explorer because I can keep track of them all in the start bar, but with the addition of Metro I will have to also keep track of these full screen applications too. Tracking them is harder because you can’t easily switch between them AND Explorer, without using the “hover-over”-area in the top left, and I don’t really like using my mouse for that stuff (I’m a sucker for keyboard shortcuts).
    My opinion might change as I get more used to it, but so far I see little value added, for me at least. Metro is without a doubt awesome for media center computers, tablet computers and casual average user- usage, but I doesn’t add anything for the super-user, except more stuff to “tweak”(read: deactivate/hack).

I know this has been discussed hundreds of times before, but it is, none the less, my initial feelings about Win8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #653
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    440 Posts
    Can I install it on a pc with an empty, but formatted (NTFS) harddrive? The faq says:
    You can install on the current drive or you can make an ISO or bootable flash drive for installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview on another partition, virtual machine, or another PC (requires Windows Vista or Windows 7).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

14. Post #654
    Gold Member

November 2010
    395 Posts
    Has anyone managed to install this on a MBR hard drive? It keeps telling me that it can only install it on a GPT partition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #655
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,103 Posts
    for some reason I like using this metro internet explorer. I wonder, though if google or firefox adds an app in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events

16. Post #656
    June 2007
    2,224 Posts
    Can I install it on a pc with an empty, but formatted (NTFS) harddrive? The faq says:
    You can install on the current drive or you can make an ISO or bootable flash drive for installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview on another partition, virtual machine, or another PC (requires Windows Vista or Windows 7).
    Yes. You just create a bootable USB stick or a DVD on an another computer and boot the computer with either of those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

17. Post #657
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,835 Posts
    How the hell do I turn off the taskbar on all but my primary monitor

Edited:

I keep getting these random freezes that last for at least 30 seconds, it's so fucking annoying :/

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,103 Posts
    the fuck is this shit runtime broker uses 90% cpu

19. Post #659
    So will FP be getting a new windows icon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    1,205 Posts

hahahha, playing with -noborder, fuck you taskbar :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #661
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Power button should be easier to find. It should (imo) only require 1 click to get to and should be accessible with keyboard only.
    Accessible without a keyboard or mouse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #662
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,103 Posts
    is that normal?

23. Post #663
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts

Why not just fullscreen mode?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #664
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,835 Posts
    So I got audio drivers installed, but guess what!
    I can't configure them, at all.

also mouse acceleration

25. Post #665
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    1,205 Posts
    alt-tab will be pain in ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #666
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,835 Posts
    Probably multiple monitors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #667
    November 2009
    8,977 Posts
    WAIT WAIT WAIT... What's that about Mouse Acceleration, Flubs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

28. Post #668
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,112 Posts
    DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

Edited:

I like how perfectly this lines up:

I mean winkey. Not the product key.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #669
    April 2009
    496 Posts
    How do i get the damn messenger uninstalled,it just goes online when you log on :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Belgium Show Events

30. Post #670
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,835 Posts
    WAIT WAIT WAIT... What's that about Mouse Acceleration, Flubs?
    There is really noticeable accel on my installation, but I think it can be turned off.
    Also, Opera causes major microfreezes, fuck :(

31. Post #671
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Because windows will have a complete and utter seizure once you task switch, it does it with most games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #672
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,103 Posts

100 % cpu all the time. What am I doing wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #673
    January 2012
    389 Posts
    I'm wanting to install this. So I'm guessing dual-boot. But what would be recommended? Use the dual-boot method found here. Run it off a USB? Or install it on a second SDD?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

34. Post #674
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    188 Posts
    Has anyone managed to install this on a MBR hard drive? It keeps telling me that it can only install it on a GPT partition.
    It installed just fine on my laptop. I can't really see a reason it wouldn't install on MBR unless you are trying to install it on a very large drive(As in >2TB).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

35. Post #675
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,787 Posts

I was hoping they'd've fixed that by now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #676
    Installer downloaded, installing as soon as I will have some spare time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

37. Post #677
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,787 Posts
    How the hell do I turn off the taskbar on all but my primary monitor

Edited:

I keep getting these random freezes that last for at least 30 seconds, it's so fucking annoying :/
    Right click the taskbar > properties.

Untick this:

Edited:

100 % cpu all the time. What am I doing wrong?
    Have you tried restarting or ending the process?

Edited:

Because windows will have a complete and utter seizure once you task switch, it does it with most games.
    Never had that happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #678
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    394 Posts
    It seems right clicking anything too close to the right on the taskbar doesn't even bother to check if there is an app pinned. Odd considering everything else doesn't seem to have a problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

39. Post #679
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,787 Posts
    I mean winkey. Not the product key.
    Ctrl+Esc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

40. Post #680
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,835 Posts