1. Post #1
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Rare home video footage of the 1986 Challenger space shuttle tragedy has been uncovered. Originally shot by Steven Virostek, the video has been made available online exclusively to The Huffington Post.

Hope Virostek's jacket was adorned with so many space shuttle mission patches that she'd run out of room for more.

In fact, one of the reasons she and her husband, Steven, chose to retire to Titusville, Fla., a town that's known as "Space City, USA," was its proximity to Kennedy Space Center, the launch site for space shuttle missions.

The couple, who had moved from Rhode Island in the early 1980s, were regulars at launches; they became so well-versed in the launch sequence that they knew exactly how many seconds would pass between liftoff and when the solid rocket boosters would separate from the orbiter.

"They went to all the space shuttle launches," Tricia Hunt, the Virosteks' niece, told The Huffington Post. "It was a very big passion for them. They would go at 3 a.m. and get the best seats."

True to form, the couple attended the launch of the ill-fated Challenger on Jan. 28, 1986. Steven, who passed away in the 1990s, recorded video of the launch, which, until now, has never been seen publicly. The Huffington Post licensed the video from Hunt and has edited it for concision.

The Challenger launch was especially important to Hope, Hunt told HuffPost. Having spent 36 years as a school nurse, Hope was particularly eager to send off Christa McAuliffe, the first participant of NASA's Teacher in Space Project.

Hope's excitement is palpable in the 26-year-old video: She can be heard cheering for McAuliffe as the shuttle climbs, yelling "C'mon, Chris! ... Go Chris, Go! Beautiful! Oh, Beautiful, Chris! ... Go, Chris, Go!"

That enthusiasm continues until 73 seconds into the launch, when the shuttle explodes, ultimately killing all seven crew members.

Hope, Steven and their companions realize immediately that something has gone wrong, and their cheers are replaced by cries of shock, horror and disbelief.

A very tense 39 seconds after the explosion, the voice of Steve Nesbitt is heard, broadcasting from the Mission Control Center in Houston: "Flight control is here looking very carefully at the situation. Obviously a major malfunction."

Steven keeps the camera rolling, documenting the aftermath of one of the American space program's worst tragedies, and one that would ground the entire shuttle fleet for nearly three years.

The video ends with Hope's shaking voice reciting a prayer for the dead: "May their souls, and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace."

Hunt, who came across the video while looking for a recording of her wedding, told HuffPost that her aunt was devastated after witnessing the event.

"After it happened," Hunt said, "for weeks and months they would go to the local beach to search for parts of the shuttle."

Only a few other amateur recordings of the Challenger tragedy have surfaced. Most recently, The Huffington Post published never-before-seen film footage of the disaster.
    Source with video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 77Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    M24
    January 2011
    229 Posts
    jesus that's actually a really good video of the disaster. insane how it's never been discovered in all this time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Oh man, it's painful to leave the sound on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 39Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Out of all the news sources to get it, Huffington post? Christ...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    queen of vphysics.dll
    April 2012
    152 Posts
    The person in the background is so fucking annoying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree x 50Dumb x 14Funny x 4Disagree x 3Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,310 Posts
    Damn it's so intense waiting for it to happen, :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    670 Posts
    It feels weird hearing the people in the video commenting on how cold it was that day, knowing that the weather was a contributing factor to the accident.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,085 Posts
    The person in the background is so fucking annoying
    STEVENNN

Crazy that it took this long for the video to surface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Zah
    July 2010
    299 Posts
    Anyone have a direct link to the video? It doesn't exist in the source for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,170 Posts
    It feels weird hearing the people in the video commenting on how cold it was that day, knowing that the weather was a contributing factor to the accident.
    Contributing lol.

It was the entire factor.

Edited:

And NASA knew that it posed a risk, but money was apparently worth more than 6 astronauts and a school teacher.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    670 Posts
    Contributing lol.

It was the entire factor.
    Human error was the primary factor. They'd been warned about the likelihood of the o-rings on the rocket boosters failing and decided to launch anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,170 Posts
    Human error was the primary factor. They'd been warned about the likelihood of the o-rings on the rocket boosters failing and decided to launch anyway.
    The o-ring failed because of the weather.

It depends on how you look at it, but yes there was human error.

Actually I think we agree here, so it's worthless discussing it.

13. Post #13
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    I want to punch the shit out of that woman.

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - PLing))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 72Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    my manboobs are so large that they look like tits
    October 2011
    1,878 Posts
    Another wonderful post by Jetblack357.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chile Show Events Zing x 25Agree x 5Informative x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,078 Posts
    Yes you go punch the shit out of a grieving woman.

By the sound of it, she knew someone on board that shuttle. How would you like to see your loved ones explode? Shut up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 51Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,701 Posts
    Are you fucking joking?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,574 Posts
    The o-ring failed because of the weather.

It depends on how you look at it, but yes there was human error.

Actually I think we agree here, so it's worthless discussing it.
    God wanted the o-rings to fail so they couldn't pierce the heavens as God was having a good game of cloud golf with his buds Jesus and Judas that day and didn't want to them to create any new holes.

(User was banned for this post ("Don't post again." - Dav0r))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb x 43Funny x 5Winner x 2Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Squadron Leader of the United FP Alliance
    November 2010
    2,941 Posts
    Damnit, 504 error.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    Why would NASA remove any possibility of escape for the crew. That decision was completely stupid and probably costed all their lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Show some respect man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,238 Posts
    "Something went wrong, they're coming back!"

:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 47Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,170 Posts
    Why would NASA remove any possibility of escape for the crew. That decision was completely stupid and probably costed all their lives.
    They regarded it to be so safe that it was unnecessary and would only add extra weight that they rather would see used for payload.

That's not the biggest problem with challenger though, the biggest problem is that they gave the go for launch in the weather conditions that they had that day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,208 Posts
    Man it was heartbreaking listening to that lady cheer at first. When you knew what was going to happen.

:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 38 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    12,806 Posts
    Oh god that praying at the end is chilling

My aunt was there for this, I wonder if she's in the video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,829 Posts
    I watched this happen live, though I was too young to remember it

Several of the astronauts on board were alive up until they hit the ocean
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,326 Posts
    fun fact: the manager of the factory that makes the solid booster engines yelled and warned at nasa for launching in the cold weather, he told them failure was guaranteed.

and then nasa laughed it off and launched anyways.

the manager resigned from depression months later
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 49Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,829 Posts
    fun fact: the manager of the factory that makes the solid booster engines yelled and warned at nasa for launching in the cold weather, he told them failure was guaranteed.

and then nasa laughed it off and launched anyways.

the manager resigned from depression months later
    Yeah something to do with an O-Ring in one of the SRBs. This was the first time NASA lost anyone during a mission. And there have only been two times lives were lost during one. Sad, but still an amazing track record considering what they do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,243 Posts
    You are a sad, pathetic excuse of a human being.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    562 Posts
    Just knowing what is going to happen when hearing those people cheer. God it makes me cringe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

30. Post #30
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,041 Posts
    I don't think that could have saved them. By the time they would have realized something was wrong, it probably would have been too late.

31. Post #31
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,170 Posts
    Yeah something to do with an O-Ring in one of the SRBs.

The boosters are made up of several segments. Between the segment you need a seal, this was done with something called an o-ring, which is basically a rubber gasket that plugs the gap and prevents hot gases from escaping.

For the o-ring to work properly, the booster needs to expand slightly, and it needs to do it fast enough.

This happens automatically because of the booster heating up when it's ignited, but because the weather was so cold that day, the booster didn't expand fast enough, allowing flames to leak, which eventually caused the ignition of the fuel in the external tank and the following breakup of the vehicle.

The engineers knew that cold weather was a problem, in fact the same thing had almost happened on an earlier flight in cold weather (not as cold as Challenger).

Also at least some of the crew is known to have survived the initial breakup, and didn't die until they hit the water.

(Though they were likely unconscious).

Edited:

I don't that could have saved them. By the time they would have realized something was wrong, it probably would have been too late.
    Some, if not all, survived the initial breakup.

Pressure suits and ejection seats could have saved their lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,767 Posts
    I don't think that could have saved them. By the time they would have realized something was wrong, it probably would have been too late.
    the crew cabin was evidently intact, if they were able to eject they would have survived.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,822 Posts
    God wanted the o-rings to fail so they couldn't pierce the heavens as God was having a good game of cloud golf with his buds Jesus and Judas that day and didn't want to them to create any new holes.
    Do us all a favor and don't start that shit here.

34. Post #34
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,041 Posts

Also at least some of the crew is known to have survived the initial breakup, and didn't die until they hit the water.

(Though they were likely unconscious).

Edited:

Some, if not all, survived the initial breakup.

Pressure suits and ejection seats could have saved their lives.
    Ah, I did not know that. I thought they all died immediately.

35. Post #35
    August 2009
    8,237 Posts
    I did read from a former astronaut that most likely they would have not survived tumbling into the sea, even with a pressure suit, they would be hitting the ocean at impecable speeds, and parachutes can not fit into a shuttle, and seats create whole new risks.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,565 Posts
    That's just uncalled for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,170 Posts
    Obviously they wouldn't have survived tumbling into the sea, which is why they would need ejection seats with parachutes.

I don't know where you had it from that parachutes can't fit on a shuttle, they fit in backpacks.

And ejection seats are not a new invention, they're common on most jet fighters, in fact even the Soviet "space shuttle", the Buran, had ejection seats.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,305 Posts
    "Obviously a major malfunction."

It seems so cold to announce that there was "obviously a major malfunction" seconds after seven of your people died, offering no consolation to the people watching. I wonder who said it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,208 Posts

Several of the astronauts on board were alive up until they hit the ocean
    I've wondered this for a while, is the song "Major Tom" based on this disaster?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Yes you go punch the shit out of a grieving woman.

By the sound of it, she knew someone on board that shuttle. How would you like to see your loved ones explode? Shut up.
    plus she's old by the sound of it, very very old, at that point, I'd just hug her

and then beat the fuck out of jetblack
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)