1. Post #3801
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,127 Posts
    A quick throwaway speed to start the day. Referenced the dog very briefly for colour, no other references (my bad)

I don't even know

Edit: wow I just came back to this
    this is so awful

I'm so sorry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #3802
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,788 Posts
    Well, I always use 100% opacity brushes... I should pressurize the pen more then, I guess.
    Anyways, thanks for the critique!
    hm yeh maybe try it with a minimum of 50% or 75% opacity for the pressure. i used to work with minimum 0% but i found my values were getting too muddy and it took way way way longer to paint anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3803
    January 2010
    1,303 Posts
    Here's a quick update on my zombie drawing

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #3804
    Caragolpe
    hello
    I'm trying to draw shit with photoshop but it only has like 3 brushes by default and I'm wondering if there is any "basic"/"essential" brush pack i could download
    thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete

5. Post #3805
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    brush packs aren't really essential to anything unless you're already comfortable doing your own thing already and want to add a little flare. Some really good artists I've seen work strictly with the default brushes, plus and minus some tweaks when need-be

if you really want to try something a little different, try this

go to dry media brushes-

if you replace your current set, you can always use the 'reset brushes...' button to bring back defaults.

the tool that starts at default of 36 is nice with some tweaks, I used that a bit. All I do to it is fix up the secondary brush and enable pen pressure opacity control sometimes.

I moved away from the brush a while ago but it still taught me a few interesting techniques that I still employ

by the way is anyone else using the CS6 beta? It's been nothing but a laggy piece of shit for me. Lightroom 4 is practically unusable for no reason as well, it's so slow I can't even open up menus without waiting a few seconds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #3806
    March 2010
    1,740 Posts
    ^is that CS6? Sexy..

Here's a work in progress for something I was working on as procrastination for my final due tomorrow morning.

Originally was planning on recording the whole thing as a timelapse that I usually make, I had everything set up and my friend distracted me and I forgot to hit record, took two hours for me to realize :<

Once I'm done I'll have a work in progress chart thing up on my sketchbook thread.

Lemme know if there's anything I should change/fix before continueing.. Already trying to fix the leg shapes before I start rendering again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

7. Post #3807
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,578 Posts
    oh my

Edited:

You really draw lovely ladies, LazyLion

Edited:

Gotta render that gun though, it looks like a cardboard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #3808
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,945 Posts
    That's wonderful

It's visually engaging in everything from the environment down to the expression on her face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #3809
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    Would you want me to make a step-by-step image on how i make them?
    I don't do pixel art but I'm signing the petition on this, would be fascinated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

10. Post #3810
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    ^is that CS6? Sexy..

Here's a work in progress for something I was working on as procrastination for my final due tomorrow morning.

Originally was planning on recording the whole thing as a timelapse that I usually make, I had everything set up and my friend distracted me and I forgot to hit record, took two hours for me to realize :<

Once I'm done I'll have a work in progress chart thing up on my sketchbook thread.

Lemme know if there's anything I should change/fix before continueing.. Already trying to fix the leg shapes before I start rendering again.
    yeah, I think all CS6 has going for it right now is photography oriented RAW processing and its fancy dark background. Painting has become clunky as all hell for me, but that could just be my recent experience in paint tool sai getting to my head

as for your work, god damn that's comin' along. I was gonna mention the hip shape but it looks like you're already on task with it. And in line with rendering the gun, the knife and blood look oddly bright/flat as well.

also hike up the prices on your deviant art commissions, $30 is tragically low for the quality you're putting out, even on a b/w
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #3811
    March 2010
    1,740 Posts
    I cant wait for my school to hand out the new CS6 keys..

And yeah I'll have to add some shading onto that knife, thanks for pointing it out.

Also the $30 thing is just for head portraits in black n white.. Takes me about 1 hour to get done.. $30 for an hour of work doesn't seem too bad for now.. I'll kick up the prices once I make more of a name of myself though.. It's not really my only source of income.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #3812
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,945 Posts
    Emotive piece done using pen and sketch tools either on both multiply and screen to create texture.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #3813
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,222 Posts
    ^is that CS6? Sexy..

IIIIIIIIIII Luh-uh-uh-uh-uhhhhhhhhv red-heads with freckles and blush!!!! Luv luv luv luv luv luv luv luv luv luv em!!

You can see who I want to marry.

A redhead. With freckles. And blush.
    <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3814
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,303 Posts
    ^is that CS6? Sexy..

What kind of inspiration/references do you use for your work? It reminds me a lot of Loish's work:

...which is a great thing, I love this kind of artstyle.
    Keep up the great work, it's awesome.

(Do you have a dA account or something like that? I'd love to follow your work)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #3815
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,873 Posts
    this brush looks very useful to my needs

Edited:

All done using pen and sketch tools either on both multiply and screen to create texture.

errr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3816
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,127 Posts

Edited:

errr
    Your old title was better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

17. Post #3817
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    I want to know what shoar changed rusty's title to

Emotive piece done using pen and sketch tools either on both multiply and screen to create texture.

It's very

contemporary
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #3818
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    I'm gonna dig around my CS5 stuff and see if I can't fish out the preset I saved for it, the one I whipped up to show there feels terrible

but that could just be cs6 wonking around a bit

dump this to somewhere easy, like appdata/roaming/adobe/adobe photoshop cs5/presets/brushes

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10572953/arte/daichalk.abr

good for roughing out stuff but detail work should be done with a more finite brush. Play with settings as ya like

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #3819
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,531 Posts
    by the way is anyone else using the CS6 beta? It's been nothing but a laggy piece of shit for me. Lightroom 4 is practically unusable for no reason as well, it's so slow I can't even open up menus without waiting a few seconds
    Yeah, it's less laggy than CS5 ever was thanks to a heavier use of the graphic card. It handles higher resolutions and more stuff added to the brush presets without lagging behind like a bitch.

But hey, it's the beta, it's bound to be more unstable on some computers and more stable on others.

Her right leg is eaten up by thin air, but you're already aware of that. I think it's a really good piece as is, you've toned down on the gradient colour overlays all over the character like you've tended to do and relied on more manual colouring which pays off well, because there is a lot of good colour and colour contrast here, you've manged to stuff in lots of different colours in the environment without making it look unnatural or kill the swamp mood. You've just made it more interesting.

But personally I find her face really distracting and completely lacking in character. Her whole body is relatively pale, then you come to the face and it's like she's sunburnt and her nose merges into her mouth and the whole nose is just like a rounded triangle, personally I find that to clash with the rest of the drawing and her body, it doesn't make any sense. It's like she's supposed to be a realistically drawn human with some stylistic tweaks, but then you came to face and had no idea what to do and just said fuck it and gave her super thick eyelashes and a round block for a nose. You can even see the shine and block shape of the nose in the thumbnail.

Other than the face all I really have a problem with is the lack of details on the gun and how flat and bright the knife and it's blood is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #3820
    September 2005
    63,873 Posts
    beta? they're not betas are they
    they're featured on the adobe website. you can buy them, right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #3821
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,531 Posts
    beta? they're not betas are they
    they're featured on the adobe website. you can buy them, right now
    The beta expires at the end of this month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

22. Post #3822
    September 2005
    63,873 Posts
    ok but why would anybody be using the beta if the full versions are out?

23. Post #3823
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    I got it while it was a fresh beta

opening it up now-

beta codename splash

labeled beta, "continue trial" option

I'm assuming it just updated itself and switched to trial mode. Big programs like this always have a grace period for beta users to keep using their new files and keep evaluating a decision to upgrade, I know Autodesk extends 3ds Max's beta 40 days past release even though the trial is only 14 days or whatever.

wow ninjas hi

24. Post #3824
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,465 Posts
    nope, pretty sure CS6 is officially released, as we're in the process of updating at work right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #3825
    September 2005
    63,873 Posts
    no that's what im saying. cs6 IS officially out
    i dont know wtf beta stuff people are talking about
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

26. Post #3826
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,945 Posts
    7734 (something a bit cleaner this time)

27. Post #3827
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,531 Posts
    labeled beta, "continue trial" option

I'm assuming it just updated itself and switched to trial mode. Big programs like this always have a grace period for beta users to keep using their new files and keep evaluating a decision to upgrade, I know Autodesk extends 3ds Max's beta 40 days past release even though the trial is only 14 days or whatever.

wow ninjas hi
    No. You have to uninstall the beta and install the release version. Adobe posted a big information guideline for that.

Tips for getting started with Photoshop CS6

nope, pretty sure CS6 is officially released, as we're in the process of updating at work right now
    Nobody said it wasn't officially released. We only said that we were using the beta.

ok but why would anybody be using the beta if the full versions are out?
    Because we haven't bothered?

no that's what im saying. cs6 IS officially out
    i dont know wtf beta stuff people are talking about
    http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
    The beta that was released over a month ago maybe?

28. Post #3828
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,788 Posts
    this is the dullest argument we've ever had here and gee we've had some bad ones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #3829
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,531 Posts
    this is the dullest argument we've ever had here and gee we've had some bad ones
    It's not an argument. It's just plain information to clarify some confusion.

30. Post #3830
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,788 Posts
    i dunno when you hold a discussion where the parties have different view points and you're all talking in this really passive-aggressive way with every post being a rhetorical question it's pretty much an argument

but if it makes you feel better i guess you can pretend there's no egos here at all and we're all just sharing and learning
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #3831
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,314 Posts
    I'm gonna dig around my CS5 stuff and see if I can't fish out the preset I saved for it, the one I whipped up to show there feels terrible

but that could just be cs6 wonking around a bit

dump this to somewhere easy, like appdata/roaming/adobe/adobe photoshop cs5/presets/brushes

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10572953/arte/daichalk.abr

good for roughing out stuff but detail work should be done with a more finite brush. Play with settings as ya like

My roughness is my detail in artwork currently
    Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to use em.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events

32. Post #3832
    September 2005
    63,873 Posts
    yeah its not an argument i just dont know whats going on

Edited:

7734 (something a bit cleaner this time)
    hmm

33. Post #3833
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,531 Posts
    i dunno when you hold a discussion where the parties have different view points and you're all talking in this really passive-aggressive way with every post being a rhetorical question it's pretty much an argument

but if it makes you feel better i guess you can pretend there's no egos here at all and we're all just sharing and learning
    There are no different viewpoints. Just questions.

Rusty doesn't understand why we are using the beta when the full version is out. That's it.

34. Post #3834
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    This new argument about arguments is twice as bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #3835
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,655 Posts
    is it an argument? I don't even know what's going on anymore. It feels like you guys are trying to convince me my beta copy doesn't exist, let alone works or something. I installed it a while ago when they first opened it up for testing

a weird thing with it is that it allows itself to run without doing anything with the beta "licence/buy now!" nag screen, which in every other trial of anything ever you couldn't get around at all without killing first

sometimes I finish a ton of work and find it hiding behind my window
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #3836
    I like to get my fingers wet!
    September 2007
    823 Posts
    Random Vector of Spawn (Thumbnail, click for higher res):
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #3837
    March 2010
    1,740 Posts
    IIIIIIIIIII Luh-uh-uh-uh-uhhhhhhhhv red-heads with freckles and blush!!!! Luv luv luv luv luv luv luv luv luv luv em!!

You can see who I want to marry.

A redhead. With freckles. And blush.
    <3
    They're my type of women as well :)

What kind of inspiration/references do you use for your work? It reminds me a lot of Loish's work:

...which is a great thing, I love this kind of artstyle.
    Keep up the great work, it's awesome.

(Do you have a dA account or something like that? I'd love to follow your work)
    Thanks,
    I love Loishes work, but I'm not really inspired by any art style usually, my deviant art is at www.thelazylion.deviantart.com , as you can see I don't really have a set style yet.. Most of my stuff looks completely different from each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

38. Post #3838
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,303 Posts
    Thanks,
    I love Loishes work, but I'm not really inspired by any art style usually, my deviant art is at www.thelazylion.deviantart.com , as you can see I don't really have a set style yet.. Most of my stuff looks completely different from each other.
    You're welcome. Judging from your gallery and what you say I see you're experimenting a lot, which it great. And don't worry, artstyle is something you develop by youself as you progress and do more drawings. I've added you to my deviantwatch, I'm eager to see more of your work

They're my type of women as well :)
    Ginger-loving bros unite! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #3839
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    3,003 Posts
    This is the fire demon Korch, as he protrudes from the volcano in wich he was imprisoned thousands of years ago.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #3840
    June 2010
    3,467 Posts
    I'm loving your pixel art so much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)