1. Post #1
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Because the OP for the first thread was permabanned

[h2]Some Background Story[/h2]

Jailbreaking is a process that allows iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch users to run third-party unsigned code on their devices by unlocking the operating system and allowing the user root access. Once jailbroken, iPhone users are able to download many extensions and themes previously unavailable through the App Store via unofficial installers such as Cydia. A jailbroken iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch is still able to use the App Store and iTunes.

Jailbreaking is different from SIM unlocking, which, once completed, means that the mobile phone will accept any SIM without restriction on, for example, the country or network operator of origin. Jailbreaking, according to Apple, can void Apple's warranty on the device, although this is quickly remedied by restoring the device in iTunes.

Cydia founder Jay Freeman estimates that over 10% of all iPhones are jailbroken.

The first jailbreaking method was released on July 10, 2007, and a month later the first third-party game was released for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
    Three months after the initial jailbreak, another method was discovered, which led to a cat and mouse game between Apple and hackers to patch and exploit security holes.

In February the Italian hacker Zibri found the most important key inside the iPhone which then lead to all upcoming jailbreak methods. Zibri himself coded and freely distributed ZiPhone, the easiest jailbreak of all. Upon the nearing release of OS 2.0 (previously iPhone OS), a hacker group called the iPhone Dev Team released a jailbreaking application named PwnageTool that used a graphical user interface to jailbreak 2G and 3G versions of the iPhone, and the first generation of iPod Touches then available. In January 2009, the iPhone Dev Team commenced work on jailbreaking the iPod Touch 2G. On March 17, 2009, Apple announced the release of iOS 3.0, which remained unbroken until the iPhone Dev Team released PwnageTool 3.0 and redsn0w 0.7.2 three months later. The iOS 3.1 release in September 2009 again disabled jailbreaking, which was followed by a new version of PwnageTool able to jailbreak all devices except the iPod Touch 3G; the iPod Touch would remain unhacked for a month, until the release of George Hotz's blackra1n.

See more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

[h2]JAILBREAKS FOR IDEVICES:[/h2]

Current Jailbreaks:

WARNING: Please read the FAQ IMMEDIATELY if you want to be able to unlock your iPhone 4 AND jailbreak it on the latest firmware

Absinthe A5
    Works for: iPad 2 + iPhone 4S Running 5.0/5.0.1
    Tethered: No

redsn0w : http://redsn0w.com/
    Works for: Redsnow supports all devices on ALL iOS VERSION, EXCEPT for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S at this time
    Tethered: Only for firmware > 5.0.1 (For now, as of version 0.9.10b3)

PwnageTool: http://redsn0w.com/
    Works for: Same as the latest version of redsn0w PwnageTool is for MAC only!
    Tethered: Same as the latest version of redsn0w

sn0wbreeze 2
    Works for: All devices that supports the old "24K Bootrom Exploit" (Launch iPhone 3GS with old bootrom, all iPhone 3G/original, iPod Touch 2G/1G with model MBXXXX). Current version of sn0wbreeze supports up to firmware 4.1
    Similar to the older redsn0w, except sn0wbreeze allows you to build a custom ipsw restore file with more options, such as injecting .deb packages. May need to work with iReb collaboratively.
    Tethered: Same as above.

Predecessors:

JailbreakMe: http://www.jailbreakme.com/ (Visit this site on Mobile Safari)
    Works for: 4.0 - 4.3.3 (All iDevices including iPad 2)

greenpois0n: http://www.greenpois0n.com/
    Originally based on SHAtter, but is now using the USB Bootrom which Limera1n is based off of. Giving up two valuable bootrom exploits in one go is not worth it.
    Works on 4.0 and ALL newer firmwares released in the future
    greenpois0n is recommended over limera1n as it is more reliable, and more stable. Not to mention that it needs less hassle to jailbreak the device.
    Tethered: Only for firmware > 4.2.1

limera1n: http://www.limera1n.com/
    A bootrom based jailbreak tool that is fors for ALL DEVICES at the moment, until Apple releases a new line of hardware revisions to patch this.
    Works on 4.0 and ALL newer firmwares released in the future
    Tethered: Only for firmware > 4.1

Spirit: http://spiritjb.com/
    Works for: 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and 3.2

blackra1n: http://blackra1n.com/
    Works for: 3.0, 3.1 and 3.1.2
    Tethered: Yes

purplera1n:http://purplera1n.com/
    Works for: iPhone 3GS 3.1
    Tethered: Yes

Note: If you are below the firmware version 3.1.2 then it is suggested that you upgrade to the latest jailbreakable firmware.
    For iPhone original and iPod Touch original, the latest firmware is 3.1.3, and can be jailbroken by Spirit or Jailbreakme.com
    For iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3G, and iPod Touch 4G with the current unpatched bootrom, all firmwares can be jailbroken using redsn0w.

[h2]FAQ:[/h2]

Q: Where can I download iOS version X.Y.Z for my iDevice?
    A: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Q:What is the differences between a "tethered" jailbreak and a "untethered" jailbreak?
    A:Think of a tetherball: It's a ball tied to a pole by a chain. Tethered jailbreak means that the device will go to the "connect to iTunes" screen every time it was rebooted, and requires you to run the jailbreak tool again. Untethered means that the process is one-time. You can restart your device all you want, and it will boot fine.

Q: Which devices supports the untethered and permanent "24kpwn" exploit?
    A:Launch iPhone 3GS with older bootrom, all iPhone 3G/original, iPod Touch 2G/1G with model MBXXXX

Q:If I update my jailbroken iDevice to the latest firmware for jailbreak, will I lose all of my data?
    A: Unless you selected "Restore", then no, your songs, videos, photos, notes, appstore apps, and all other "official" content will not be erased. However, ALL CYDIA APPS WILL BE REMOVED.

Q: OMFG If I screw up, will my device turn into a brick permanently?? :ohdear:
    A: No. You can always restore your device by placing it into DFU mode.

Q: Can I downgrade my firmware to a previous version?
    A: For iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3G, and devices that are older, you can. For newer devices, they cannot be downgraded unless you have a "SHSH blob" for the specific version you are attempting to downgrade saved. More information regarding on this topic will be added later.

Q: How can I update to the latest firmware and preserve the 1.59.00 baseband firmware for my iPhone 4 in order to use ultrasn0w at the same time?
    A: Please read this article CAREFULLY: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot....nd-update.html

Q: When I use redsn0w, the jailbreak process gets stuck at "Uploading ramdisk"
    A: Run redsn0w as administrator, and if necessary, under Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Q: I don't like SSH. How can I get files onto my device without it?
    A: The easiest way would be downloading Total Commander and an addon for it called "T-Pot". This allows you to upload files to your iDevice to anywhere, including the root directories if your device is jailbroken.

Q: When I tries to jailbreak my device, it didn't work/I got an error/how to solve this problem?
    A: Be descriptive, we cannot read your mind over tcp/ip (or at all)

:siren:STOP POSTING SCREENSHOTS OF YOUR HOMESCREEN, LOCKSCREENS, AND ETC:siren:
    There is a designated thread for it, so use it. No one in this thread cares about how you pimped out your device; they only clutter up the thread. If you would like to tell us that you were successful with your jailbreak process, that's great, go for it. Attaching a photo of your homescreen is not necessary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful x 7Winner x 3Zing x 3Informative x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,259 Posts
    I did it too my Ipod Touch 1st Gen. Best thing i ever did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2010
    1,737 Posts
    So is it really a permanent thing that makes the phone 100% un-unlockable using limera1n?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    253 Posts
    I misread the above post, looking into myself, right now.

5. Post #5
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    So is it really a permanent thing that makes the phone 100% un-unlockable using limera1n?
    Unless new "exploits" can be found within the new basebands firmware, and the new firmware is automatically installed with the new official update, and it cannot be downgraded. At the moment, only the original baseband firmware found in >=4.0.2 can be used for the ultrasn0w unlock

6. Post #6
    March 2010
    1,737 Posts
    Anyway to downgrade the baseband firmware? I mean possibilities in the future with newer jailbreaks or something off of cydia?

7. Post #7
    March 2008
    3,199 Posts
    Mac version of Limera1n is coming in 7 years, I can't wait.

Also, limera1n cannot jailbreak ~all~ devices. Only the ones listed on the website.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

8. Post #8
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    explains why the jailbreak didn't work for my itouch 2g

Edited:

Also I'm not follow it anymore, are or will any jailbreaks be permanently stored somewhere in your device, or can you just restore it and get rid of the jb?

I'm also not following greenpoison, is there a release date known (or atleast a month or something)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,641 Posts
    Iphone 4 unlock does 'seem' possible http://www.gadgetsdna.com/how-to-unl...-4-1-now/6594/

10. Post #10
    June 2007
    636 Posts
    If I'm reading everything correctly, there is still no way to jailbreak a iPod Touch 2g running 4.1?

11. Post #11
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    If I'm reading everything correctly, there is still no way to jailbreak a iPod Touch 2g running 4.1?
    No, you read everything incorrectly.

Edited:

Wow, gotta love this new feature of TinyUmbrella
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    "We are making the responsible decision as suggested by @MuscleNerd and @comex to delay greenpois0n while we implement the limera1n exploit.

-chronicdevteam"

I'm waiting for this, it will be more stable. :colbert:

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    758 Posts
    QuickPWN posted:
    iOS 4.1.1 Update To Be Released Soon, May Patch Limera1n Jailbreak

The iOS 4.1.1 update is expected to be released soon by Apple. According to ZDNet, the current version of the iOS 4.1 software has a daylight savings bug which Apple says it will fix and release in an upcoming update.
    The limera1n jailbreak was recently released, causing the greenpois0n jailbreak with SHAtter exploit to be delayed. Apple may be patching up the “untethered” part of the exploit used in limera1n once iOS 4.1.1 comes out, so it’s good that greenpois0n SHAtter exploit was saved. If you are using limera1n, remember to stay away from iOS 4.1.1 update as it’s just a minor update.

Update: By patched I mean that the untethered part of the jailbreak can be patched. You can still jailbreak your device and have it tethered, but that would be really annoying because you’d need to connect your device to your computer every time you reboot it.
    Well, looks like we lose the untethered side of this jailbreak if we update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    Anyone having trouble running limera1n on 64 bit, find a 32 bit machine. My iPad wouldn't budge until I tried my netbook.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,508 Posts
    Greenp0ison is officially released!

http://www.quickpwn.com/2010/10/gree...-and-ipad.html

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    2,652 Posts
    Having issues with limera1n.
    It's supposed to work with the Touch 3G, right?

17. Post #17
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    jailbreak for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4G/3G and iPad
    Where the FUCK IS THE iPOD TOUCH 2G!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    867 Posts
    I just unlocked my 3gs the legit way, which required me to update to 4.1 from 3.1.2. Fucking required.
    Wondering if I should use Greenpois0n or Limera1n this time around. Seems like people have a lot of issues, so I'll be waiting a tad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

19. Post #19
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Where the FUCK IS THE iPOD TOUCH 2G!!!
    Read the OP, they can be jailbroken by using redsn0w

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,042 Posts
    Have been trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3G with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 to iOS 4.1. It installs fine, but after reboot it still asks for a valid SIM card even though I've chosen to Activate in Sn0wbreeze.

Some technical info from f0recast:

Baseband: 05.12.01
    Bootloader: 6.4
    Model: MB489

Jailbreakable: Yes
    Unlockable: Yes

Firmware: 4.1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    867 Posts
    So I used greenpoison. What does one do if the jailbreak worked, but the cydia install fails?
    http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3180/photods.png
    Direct link, can't get image tags working
    First it was just "loader" that was white. No cydia icon. Then I opened loader, it installed cydia but crashed halfway through, atleast I think so, didn't look at screen. It appeared after restarting the phone as white, and won't launch. Loader can't remove cydia, and it won't reinstall it.
    What can I do?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,358 Posts
    So I used greenpoison. What does one do if the jailbreak worked, but the cydia install fails?

First it was just "loader" that was white. No cydia icon. Then I opened loader, it installed cydia but crashed halfway through, atleast I think so, didn't look at screen. It appeared after restarting the phone as white, and won't launch. Loader can't remove cydia, and it won't reinstall it.
    What can I do?
    Use limera1n, works perfectly fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    867 Posts
    Use limera1n, works perfectly fine.
    Yeah but how do I get rid of Cydia now?

24. Post #24
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Yeah but how do I get rid of Cydia now?
    ...why are you trying to remove Cydia...

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    867 Posts
    To reinstall it, as this happened: http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3180/photods.png
    It won't launch, app crashes straight away. So I need to reinstall it.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    Restore your firmware, re-jailbreak, and try again.

27. Post #27
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    ugh apparently redsn0w will tether my device
    I hope greenpoison will support 2g soon

Edited:

whoa great, stays like this forever
    it makes me go into dfu mode first, and then it says that, I got out of dfu manually but it still says

28. Post #28
    October 2010
    1,509 Posts
    Got the same problem, and restore seems to be the only solution
    Also am I the only one whose iPhone showed things like "failed", "not found", "giving up" at the jailbreaking process?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    867 Posts
    Mine showed some "warnings" that's all I think, and a few not found. Restored, rejailbreaked and used the loader without my SIM being unlocked worked, so had to use wireless internet. I guess I recieved an SMS while loader installed Cydia the first time, which crashed Loader and disrupted the installation. Cydia works, thanks psp!

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    677 Posts
    Posted this in the other thread but this is apparently the new one, so:

DaApocalypse posted:
    Limera1n worked for me perfectly, but I'm new to the jailbreaking business. Can anyone PM me some good repositories and some must-have shit?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Do the same for me too

Maybe put it in the OP, since this one isn't banned?

Edited:

Do the same for me too

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    September 2007
    727 Posts
    I just un-jailbroke my iPod. All I do with it is music, Deleted all apps. So I could have more space.

33. Post #33
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,155 Posts
    Posted this in the other thread but this is apparently the new one, so:
    iPod Touch or iPhone or iPad?

34. Post #34
    fuck you
    February 2009
    2,888 Posts
    goddamnit greenpois0n isn't working, now i have to restore my ipod touch because of the darn DFU mode

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    1,757 Posts
    Jailbreakme worked for me, got an awesome theme and an NES emulator. I recommend for everyone to jailbreak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

36. Post #36
    fuck you
    February 2009
    2,888 Posts
    what the fuck. apparently the ipod touch i have is a 2g, not a 3g. i asked for the 3g when i traded in my old 2g at the apple store..

those fuckers ripped me off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

37. Post #37
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    what the fuck. apparently the ipod touch i have is a 2g, not a 3g. i asked for the 3g when i traded in my old 2g at the apple store..

those fuckers ripped me off
    Let me guess, you have an 8GB one

Edited:

Do the same for me too

Do WHAT?

38. Post #38
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    goddamnit greenpois0n isn't working, now i have to restore my ipod touch because of the darn DFU mode
    Nonono, there's a program called RecBoot (google it) which can get your device out of DFU mode

39. Post #39
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Or you can use TinyUmbrella

40. Post #40
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    Well with as promising as this Greenpois0n and limera1n sound as being a "permanent" jailbreak breakthrough, i bet it still takes just as long for new jailbreaks in the future. :/

...and can't any jailbreak team stick together and keep releasing stuff? (geohot not included) It just seems the next jailbreak is by a different dev team every time... :/