1. Post #1321
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,760 Posts
    Will jailbreaking reset my device or will I keep my stuff?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

2. Post #1322
    Dennab
    March 2008
    1,310 Posts
    I've been on a black ski run called PDF before. I'm going to have to spend the rest of the evening finding the names of mountains with runs called PDF... :colbert:
    Jailbreak 3.0 will jailbreak ipad 2 (finally). Comex wanted to have it out yesterday, but that didn't happen because he ran into some problems but I expect it to be out soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1323
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Will jailbreaking reset my device or will I keep my stuff?
    You keep everything until you want to upgrade the software (4.3.2 to 4.3.3, etc), then you have to backup, restore, upgrade, sync, and rejailbreak. If you don't plan on upgrading, you'll be fine forever.

When you jailbreak, everything is the same as before you jailbroke except you have an app called Cydia which is like a Jailbroken app store.

Edited:

Anybody have a good Standard definition battery theme? I'm looking for one like Matte Nano, but without the entire theme.

4. Post #1324
    I use the EVE Online battery.

5. Post #1325
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,760 Posts
    You keep everything until you want to upgrade the software (4.3.2 to 4.3.3, etc), then you have to backup, restore, upgrade, sync, and rejailbreak. If you don't plan on upgrading, you'll be fine forever.

When you jailbreak, everything is the same as before you jailbroke except you have an app called Cydia which is like a Jailbroken app store.

Edited:

Anybody have a good Standard definition battery theme? I'm looking for one like Matte Nano, but without the entire theme.
    So basically if you jailbreak you backup and then add cydia. When I upgrade, it's restored to the state it was earlier?

6. Post #1326
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    So basically if you jailbreak you backup and then add cydia. When I upgrade, it's restored to the state it was earlier?
    You should do a total backup before you jailbreak
    When you update, restore to that backup first and then update. After that, re-jailbreak using whatever software is current at the time. Right now, RedSn0w is recommended
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #1327
    Der Führer
    January 2011
    4,115 Posts
    When I jailbroke with greenpois0n I didn't need to back up, everything was still there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1328
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,760 Posts
    Would you recommend me to jalibreak? I want the extra features but is it worth it?

9. Post #1329
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneck™
    December 2009
    7,274 Posts
    I just jailbroke my iPhone. So for some reason when my iPhone locks it stops any SSH currently going on. Is there any way to keep it active so I don't have to keep unlocking the screen?

And is there anyway to stop it from requesting a new IP during the process... I just ended up not moving about 3 GB of my music because it switched my iPhone's IP.

10. Post #1330
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Would you recommend me to jalibreak? I want the extra features but is it worth it?
    Yes.
    I can't live without a jailbreak on my Iphone, and there is very little work involved. It can be as basic or complex as you want. Just backup before you do it just incase it fails and you need to try again. Although I wouldn't recommend it on an Iphone 3G or an ipod touch 2G. I have a 3GS and it's great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #1331
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    I just jailbroke my iPhone. So for some reason when my iPhone locks it stops any SSH currently going on. Is there any way to keep it active so I don't have to keep unlocking the screen?

And is there anyway to stop it from requesting a new IP during the process... I just ended up not moving about 3 GB of my music because it switched my iPhone's IP.
    Turn off auto lock in settings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #1332
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneck™
    December 2009
    7,274 Posts
    Will that help with the fact it's requesting a new IP every time?

13. Post #1333
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    I would assume so. iOS devices generally turn off WiFi a short time after the screen has been turned off, so by not turning off WiFi I doubt the router would assign a new IP address to it. However in general the IP address won't be permanent, but as long as the screen doesn't lock it should stay the same
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #1334
    "TL;DR" is not an acceptable response to this post.
    May 2005
    1,471 Posts
    Disabling autolock or an "insomnia" SBSettings toggle, which will keep WiFi active while the phone sleeps. Since it's constantly active, it won't get assigned a new IP address.

I personally hate using SSH myself for a few reasons:
    The daemon keeps itself active in the background even if you don't need it or have it "switched off" in SBSettings which drains battery life
    This sleep issue is another reason
    The potential security risk it poses to people using the default root password
    and lastly because using a USB tool like iFunBox is far more quicker

The only benefit it has is if you need to chmod a folder quickly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

15. Post #1335
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,969 Posts
    Jailbreakme 3.0 is live. Those of you with an iPad 2 and are on 4.3.3 (it's 4.3.3 only right now), you can point safari to the site, http://www.jailbreakme.com//, and have at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #1336
    October 2010
    766 Posts
    If anyone needs help jailbreaking, here's a guide I wrote on a different site:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341541

17. Post #1337
    October 2010
    1,526 Posts
    Apple just can't wait until autumn:
    iOS 4.3.4 firmware confirmed, patches Jailbreakme
    Wonder if "improved battery life" will be in the changelog or just "fixes security vulnerability"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

18. Post #1338
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,422 Posts
    Well you have to remember apple will queue up a bunch of shit in a firmware update instead of releasing a fuckton of them with small change logs. So if they are releasing this firmware to patch jailbreakme they will just throw w/e they fixed or improved between last update and now.

19. Post #1339
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    5,356 Posts
    What is a good jailbreak app for all types of updated iOS's? Like 4.2.1+ So I won't have to re-install the jailbreak into my Ipod? And one that can be removed if it is a brick, so like if my ipod turns into a brick, I can just run the jailbreak program and get it back to normal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

20. Post #1340
    December 2009
    2,633 Posts
    Am I able to jailbreak my Iphone 3g?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

21. Post #1341
    http://www.jailbreakme.com/

Edited:

Only if you haven't updated to 4.3.4

22. Post #1342
    May 2009
    1,149 Posts
    Should be.

Edited:

Wait, 4.3.4 is already out?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

23. Post #1343

24. Post #1344
    December 2009
    2,633 Posts
    http://www.jailbreakme.com/

Edited:

Only if you haven't updated to 4.3.4
    When I go ther it says "Not supported in Iphone 3G"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

25. Post #1345
    May 2009
    1,149 Posts
    When I go ther it says "Not supported in Iphone 3G"
    Try the 2.0 version: http://www.jailbreakme.com/star/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

26. Post #1346
    What, really?

http://jailbrea.kr/

Have a look there then and follow whichever applies.

27. Post #1347
    July 2008
    2,134 Posts
    Ok ive tried for days to try and jailbreak my 2gen ipod with 4.2.1mc and it hasent worked, ive tried greenpoison, and jailbreakme, all dont work. Help anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

28. Post #1348
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,969 Posts
    Ok ive tried for days to try and jailbreak my 2gen ipod with 4.2.1mc and it hasent worked, ive tried greenpoison, and jailbreakme, all dont work. Help anyone?
    Redsn0w should do it.

29. Post #1349
    February 2008
    173 Posts
    If I jalibreak just to install apps that doesn't really alter the way the iPhone operates (such as games) I really shouldn't run into any problems at all, right?

Edited:

cuz man do I want me some pokemons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

30. Post #1350
    I was nice to a hobo once and he bought me this title
    May 2010
    5,951 Posts
    I jailbroke my touch just an hour ago and installed Cydia. When I ran Cydia, it just says Initializing Filesystem and then exits itself. So how do I download themes and all that crap?

31. Post #1351
    I jailbroke my touch just an hour ago and installed Cydia. When I ran Cydia, it just says Initializing Filesystem and then exits itself. So how do I download themes and all that crap?
    Just open it back up again.

Edited:

If I jalibreak just to install apps that doesn't really alter the way the iPhone operates (such as games) I really shouldn't run into any problems at all, right?

Edited:

cuz man do I want me some pokemons
    Yeah, you'll be fine.

32. Post #1352
    I was nice to a hobo once and he bought me this title
    May 2010
    5,951 Posts
    Just open it back up again.
    I've kept opening it but it keeps crashing my iPod.

33. Post #1353
    March 2011
    193 Posts
    I'm currently on 4.2.1 greenp0ison. Is there a way to restore and somehow be on 4.3.3 so I can be on a clean slate and use jailbreakme 3.0?

34. Post #1354
    If you've ever installed 4.3.3 and backed up your SHSH blobs then yes, otherwise no.

35. Post #1355
    May 2009
    1,149 Posts
    I have to reboot into Windows to sync my iPad and into Mac OS to sync my Windows Phone. Where did my life go so wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #1356
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    331 Posts
    If you've ever installed 4.3.3 and backed up your SHSH blobs then yes, otherwise no.
    I've installed 4.3.4 but never backed up my SHSH blobs, as I wasn't intending to jailbreak.
    Does this mean I'll never be able to jailbreak, or will a new jailbreak that's 4.3.4 compatible come up again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

37. Post #1357
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,358 Posts
    I've installed 4.3.4 but never backed up my SHSH blobs, as I wasn't intending to jailbreak.
    Does this mean I'll never be able to jailbreak, or will a new jailbreak that's 4.3.4 compatible come up again?
    You'll have to wait for a new jailbreak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

38. Post #1358
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,244 Posts
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask but, well, here goes: I'm using TVOut2 to display games on a big screen on my jailbroken iPod touch 4, and It's really cool and stuff, but you need to make a choice between serving frames to the TV and the device screen alternately (effectively cutting your framerate in half) or just displaying on the TV - this is much more playable, but buttons and menus are a nightmare, as the screen is totally blank. You can't switch between these modes mid-game either, as that makes TVOut crash.
    So. Is there any app/tweak or whatever that will display finger touches/positions on the screen? Sort of like in the emulator where you see those little clear disc things, or when you hold down ctrl (I think?) and you get that little glow around your mouse cursor so you know where it is. Something like that would be massively helpful, as it would give you a good idea of how your touches correspond to screen position and ui interaction.
    I've tried googling and searching and whatnot, but it's proving difficult to find anything even related to my vein of thought; even "iphone glowy circles finger touch position" and such yield no results. Does anyone have any ideas about this? A name or something I can use to pin down searches would be really helpful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #1359
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,386 Posts
    Is it possible for jailbreaks to affect how my iPhone 3Gs affects calls? Because after I jailbroke mine people have had trouble calling me with it going directly to my voice mail.

40. Post #1360
    Jailbreaking in and of itself will have no effect on your normal device functions.

Stuff that you install from Cydia can though.