1. Post #361
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    That's the thing I find it very odd MS would let them do that after they so staunchly said no body is allowed to do anything to the OS, I thought the CEO might have been misquoted/misunderstood.
    I think Microsoft have the right to let Nokia do that, considering they have a closer partnership with each other after this deal than the other manufacturers do with Microsoft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #362
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,980 Posts
    So Symbian is going to stop?
    Yes, FINALLY. YES. YEEEEEEEEEEEEES.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #363
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    Symbian wasn't going anywhere. To the thousands that walked out in protest, maybe if you guys had started doing a better fucking job making it work properly then Nokia wouldn't have to kill it. It's entirely your faults. This is 2011 and you still can't optimize an OS for shit.

Anyway, does anyone have a link to the wallpaper used in the black concept phone there? It looks so sleek.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Symbian wasn't going anywhere. To the thousands that walked out in protest, maybe if you guys had started doing a better fucking job making it work properly then Nokia wouldn't have to kill it. It's entirely your faults. This is 2011 and you still can't optimize an OS for shit.

Anyway, does anyone have a link to the wallpaper used in the black concept phone there? It looks so sleek.
    Couldn't agree more, that was my reaction to that news too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #365
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Please, god, Nokia, heed my calls: make a CDMA WP7. I'm begging you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,846 Posts

I can disagree more. Have you ever holded a Symbian^3 phone in your hand? It's running smoother than the most common version of Android, on a lower clocked CPU. At the same time, you can actually multitask.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    I can disagree more. Have you ever holded a Symbian^3 phone in your hand? It's running smoother than the most common version of Android, on a lower clocked CPU. At the same time, you can actually multitask.
    Had an N8. Slowest piece of shit ever. I really don't know how you think it's smooth. Also, the browser is a joke and so is the app market it has. Just about everything in Symbian sucks assholes except for the functionality. Also, comparing it with Android's smoothness isn't really doing it any favor. Android up to 2.2 was a slow hunk of shit. If you mean to compare it to Gingerbread, then I must respectfully disagree that it even comes close to the smoothness.

In summary, I'm not surprised that Symbian is getting thrown out. Not one bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Update has been confirmed from the horses mouth, early march.

Edited:

Also multitasking has also been confirmed as "coming in the near future"!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    Twitter yeeeeeeee! Quite tempted to stick with WP7, the battery life on my hacked HD2 running WP7 has gone from great to terrible though.

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    And full Twitter integration to all Hubs

Edit: ninja'd

Also IE9 is coming to Windows Phone for a "full web experience" Flash?

11. Post #371
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    And full Twitter integration to all Hubs

Edit: ninja'd

Also IE9 is coming to Windows Phone for a "full web experience" Flash?
    Not sure since they didn't specify that. Not really worried because Flash on a phone is just gonna sap the battery, 10.2 should help with that though. I'm guessing it already uses Silverlight?

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Not sure since they didn't specify that. Not really worried because Flash on a phone is just gonna sap the battery, 10.2 should help with that though. I'm guessing it already uses Silverlight?
    Yea it looks like it wont support Flash, just HTML5 and Silverlight, not that I'm bothered about Flash.

They showed a demo of multitasking, looks a bit rough.

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    Oh shit a task switcher! I think I'm sold on WP7 if new hardware comes out by Summer. I'm just concerned about how long updates are taking for the platform, the fact Joe said "later this year" could be late as December with the way the first WP7 update is taking its time. That and battery life concerns.

CARDS FROM WEBOS

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    holy shit, WP will integrate with kinect

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    TERRIBLY LAGGY aw nue! I can't afford both so that's no biggy to me, still nice feature to have I suppose.

16. Post #376
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    Anyone got a video of the full MWC?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,229 Posts
    I couldn't get this site to work and I think they may put it up in a while.

THIS might work but you have to register. I was viewing Engadget's coverage and they went over and talked about stuff they showed last year in regards to interface and how stuff works. Couldn't be arsed with registering so I don't know if its the full thing.

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,846 Posts
    Had an N8. Slowest piece of shit ever. I really don't know how you think it's smooth. Also, the browser is a joke and so is the app market it has. Just about everything in Symbian sucks assholes except for the functionality. Also, comparing it with Android's smoothness isn't really doing it any favor. Android up to 2.2 was a slow hunk of shit. If you mean to compare it to Gingerbread, then I must respectfully disagree that it even comes close to the smoothness.

In summary, I'm not surprised that Symbian is getting thrown out. Not one bit.
    Of course I'm not comparing it to Gingerbread. I'm comparing it to the most common version, which is, if I'm not totally wrong, 2.1. In comparison to that, Symbian^3's speed is fine. And battery life, is from what I've experienced (Which sadly isn't much more than tellings from my friend), a good deal better. Symbian^3 had it's flaws, but I don't think it got the chance it deserved, since it actually had an update planned out some months from now, with a new, and supposedly, smoother UI, with the same words applying to the new browser that was to come in that update. I think WP7 should have it's chance the same way Symbian^3 should, they're from the same period, and both a new version of an old, somewhat shitty OS. What about them loading times in WP7? Is that an irritating bug? The fact that you can put in a micro SD card and it works? I think that's a bigger bug, than a bad browser, where you can even download another one.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion that Symbian^3 should just have been thrown out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

19. Post #379
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    Of course I'm not comparing it to Gingerbread. I'm comparing it to the most common version, which is, if I'm not totally wrong, 2.1. In comparison to that, Symbian^3's speed is fine. And battery life, is from what I've experienced (Which sadly isn't much more than tellings from my friend), a good deal better. Symbian^3 had it's flaws, but I don't think it got the chance it deserved, since it actually had an update planned out some months from now, with a new, and supposedly, smoother UI, with the same words applying to the new browser that was to come in that update. I think WP7 should have it's chance the same way Symbian^3 should, they're from the same period, and both a new version of an old, somewhat shitty OS. What about them loading times in WP7? Is that an irritating bug? The fact that you can put in a micro SD card and it works? I think that's a bigger bug, than a bad browser, where you can even download another one.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion that Symbian^3 should just have been thrown out.
    Don't flatter yourself. Loading times in WP7 are still better than that hellhole Symbian. MicroSDs work just fine.

Again, comparing Symbian to Android isn't really doing it any favors in terms of smoothness. Android 2.1 is a slow piece of shit.

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,846 Posts
    Don't flatter yourself. Loading times in WP7 are still better than that hellhole Symbian. MicroSDs work just fine.

Again, comparing Symbian to Android isn't really doing it any favors in terms of smoothness. Android 2.1 is a slow piece of shit.
    No, but comparing it to 2.1 gets my point across. If most of the phones are running 2.1, that's what most people will be running, and in that way, Symbian^3 is as smooth as most Android phones. In my opinon it's as smooth as 2.2, as most manufacturers includes things as touchwiz and HTC sense, effectivily making it slower than Symbian^3. I wasn't aware that most WP7 phones have got a slot for an MicroSD card, apart from the Focus.

21. Post #381
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    So an update came out. Grab it by plugging your phone in and checking for updates through Zune.

Basically MS said that it's supposed to make the NoDo update go smoother. However based on discussions at XDA, this update apparently applies a bunch of stability and speed boosts as well. Worth it.

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    So an update came out. Grab it by plugging your phone in and checking for updates through Zune.

Basically MS said that it's supposed to make the NoDo update go smoother. However based on discussions at XDA, this update apparently applies a bunch of stability and speed boosts as well. Worth it.
    Yea I got it today too, some people have been reporting it doesn't work with Samsung phones although it went like a charm on my Omnia 7.

Edited:

I can confirm it fixes the marketplace crash bug!

23. Post #383
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    Nice.

Also it worked on my Focus fine. I think the update screws up if you used SamsungTools or performed various registry edits. That's bound to fuck with the update process somehow. But yeah, I had used SamsungTools but disabled "Prevent Device Relocking" prior to updating. It updated fine (took forever, thought the screen was going to get burnt to fuck) and surprisingly the homebrew apps still work and it's still unlocked.

So I assume the Chevron fix is coming in NoDo instead.

24. Post #384
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,534 Posts
    I keep seeing my phone is up to date, and I'm not sure if it updated by itself or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

25. Post #385
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    I keep seeing my phone is up to date, and I'm not sure if it updated by itself or not.
    Are you checking on the Zune Software with the phone plugged in?

Also what model is it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #386
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,534 Posts
    Are you checking on the Zune Software with the phone plugged in?

Also what model is it?
    I have checked, it says it's up to date(version 7.04 or something) and my model is the HTC 7 mozart.

27. Post #387
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    I have checked, it says it's up to date(version 7.04 or something) and my model is the HTC 7 mozart.
    So you have build 7004 probably. The latest build is 7008, though. If your phone didn't notify you (which mine didn't,) then plug it into Zune and go to Settings > Device > Update and check.

Also reason I asked was just to make sure you didn't have an Omnia. But the Mozart shouldn't have any issues with the update.

28. Post #388
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,534 Posts
    I keep getting the same message with 7004 as the latest build. :(

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    I keep getting the same message with 7004 as the latest build. :(
    AFAIK I think Microsoft pulled the update because of the issues with some Samsung phones breaking.

30. Post #390
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    Hm, I thought they only pulled it from the Omnia?

Well you're not missing much anyway. The real update comes out on the 8th.

31. Post #391
    May 2010
    868 Posts
    Got an LG Optimus 7 earlier this month and I can say it is easily one of the best investments I have done. I was skeptical about the LG phones but demoing out the Omnia, I accidentally exited out of 5 apps by slightly grazing the back button and having hardpress buttons is awesome.
    All in all, worth it.

32. Post #392
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,980 Posts
    WP7 is going to hit the sweet spot very soon.

It has an awesome selection of high quality apps, less paid apps than iOS and more not shitty apps than Android.

There is a good selection of usually high quality hardware, better than two phones for iOS and a million android phones that may or may not suck.

There is very limited carrier interaction with the software, more than iOS and much less than Android.

It is more open than iOS but not easy to mess up like Android.

I can go on and on, all I know is that the only thing that stands in my way of a WP7 phone is the presence of a dual core CPU. I am going to get the Focus 2 if it has a dual core CPU, we can already guess that it will have a 4.3 inch Super Amoled Plus screen and an 8megapixel camera etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    Carriers are indeed fucking around already, though. A lot of people still didn't get notifications for the first tiny update and apparently it's the carriers' wrongdoing.

But yeah, I'm happy with WP7 so far. A little bit of regret every now and then when I play around with an iPhone 4, but I just can't stand iOS anymore. iOS Apps are good. OS not so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,846 Posts

35. Post #395
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    Engadget reached new lows recently with how much they're biased against WP7, Android. But maybe they're going to start going uphill now that Josh is leaving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,846 Posts
    Engadget reached new lows recently with how much they're biased against WP7, Android. But maybe they're going to start going uphill now that Josh is leaving.
    Hopefully, but I don't think it'll get any better anytime soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    I agree, everyone knows Engadget is firmly on Apple's side

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,846 Posts
    I agree, everyone knows Engadget is firmly on Apple's side
    It's pretty evident when you even as much as enter the site. Today there was an article over the white iPhone 4 coming this spring, and nothing negative was even said about it, whereas a delayed update, which actually implenments something new other than the colour of a case, get's shat on every 5 seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #399
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    I guess all hope for an unbiased site goes to hell when you have an editor in chief who looks like this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,980 Posts
    I think the reason Engadget seems so biased for Apple is because they review things the way an average consumer would.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events