1. Post #441
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    Yes, Only few objects are clientside. I worked a way to make the server able to handle all the objects. Infact, there aren't as many serverside entities as you might think.
    Sounds expensive, what do you have clientside? And just to point out, those entities will build up with the number of systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts
    Sounds expensive, what do you have clientside? And just to point out, those entities will build up with the number of systems.
    I believe that every solar system carry out around 30-100 serverside entities each. I figured the server can take up to a maximum of 2000 entities. Having 20 active solar systems in one server ain't gunna be a problem. According to the recent tests, I gain about 300 - 700 fps (net_graph 1 and fps_max 1000) with maxed settings. Clients should not experience any lagg of some sort. Thats on a dual core 3ghz processor with 3gb ram. I doubt that a proper server have any worser machine running it so it will be fine.

The clientside entities are unimportant entities such as the turrets on the ship and modules. In short, all the stuff that add details.

3. Post #443
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    I believe that every solar system carry out around 30-100 serverside entities each. I figured the server can take up to a maximum of 2000 entities. Having 20 active solar systems in one server ain't gunna be a problem. According to the recent tests, I gain about 300 - 700 fps (net_graph 1 and fps_max 1000) with maxed settings. Clients should not experience any lagg of some sort. Thats on a dual core 3ghz processor with 3gb ram. I doubt that a proper server have any worser machine running it so it will be fine.

The clientside entities are unimportant entities such as the turrets on the ship and modules. In short, all the stuff that add details.
    So only twenty at a time? Sounds limiting. Many server boxes are running one server for each core on the CPU, so the specs can easily be worse than that.

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts
    Great work maw, Finally my course work is done for the summer, i'll be on more, talk to ya soon

5. Post #445
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    -removed-
    Um, what? Something about a sale on metal roofing? According to google translate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts
    Um, what? Something about a sale on metal roofing? According to google translate.
    Oddly, he is a bot and hes advertising in gmod where 99% of the entire gmod community don't give a shit about metal tubing o.o?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #447
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,198 Posts
    Oddly, he is a bot and hes advertising in gmod where 99% of the entire gmod community don't give a shit about metal tubing o.o?
    google ranking tricks :)

8. Post #448

June 2011
    8 Posts
    Now I am curious, would it be possible to allow the ability to walk around your ship as a person, along with perhaps your friends manning different stations around the ship? I think that'd be neat in terms of warfare to have a ship crew and what not doing different things around the ship like repairing shields, firing off seperate turrets, and what have you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    Now I am curious, would it be possible to allow the ability to walk around your ship as a person, along with perhaps your friends manning different stations around the ship? I think that'd be neat in terms of warfare to have a ship crew and what not doing different things around the ship like repairing shields, firing off seperate turrets, and what have you.
    Yes it is possible. I have gotten walking in tiny ships to work. The tricky part would be making the inside functional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    74 Posts
    Yes it is possible. I have gotten walking in tiny ships to work. The tricky part would be making the inside functional.
    Pic's or it didn't happen.

11. Post #451
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    Pic's or it didn't happen.
    Sorry, it took me a while, my picturing uploading program decided to break :(. Yes, that is a SBEP ship.

Don't really want to invade your thread Maw :(

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    74 Posts
    Sorry, it took me a while, my picturing uploading program decided to break :(. Yes, that is a SBEP ship.

nice :O

you scaled down an sbep ship ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #453

June 2009
    1,811 Posts
    Technically, wouldn't you be able to reverse engineer the advanced hull designator and make it BASICALLY do this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts

Easy. What's cooler is calcview accepts znear now. ;P

However, this kinda makes Sunrise... not Sunrise anymore.. Turns it into somewhat a spacebuild kinda thing with a REALLY big space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #455
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    Easy. What's cooler is calcview accepts znear now. ;P

However, this kinda makes Sunrise... not Sunrise anymore.. Turns it into somewhat a spacebuild kinda thing with a REALLY big space.
    Exactly, that's why the ship isn't being massively clipped right now. I'm the one who brought the missing arguments in the Niggles thread. :D

Edited:

You have to agree that the view is better from inside the ship :). It's not spacebuildy at all ( atleast right now), the ship was carefully set up with lua, and there's no building involved, just piloting your ship.

16. Post #456
    October 2009
    1,649 Posts
    I personally would like to walk around the ship. It gives gameplay another perspective, and I'd get bored after a while of just flying the ship.

Plus it would be really cool for a crew addition thing.

Edited:

I disagree. I think if you added props you could manipulate in the game then it would be spacebuild. I believe just being able to walk around a ship wouldn't be really major at all, it'd just be a small, fun detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #457
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    122 Posts
    Is PhoeniX still working with you guys? I thought the turret model he made was nice.

18. Post #458
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    This thread is lost :( It has no subforum.

Edited:

Whoops nvm, it got moved to garrysmod discussion. Didn't Notice.

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    74 Posts
    this thread should be in gamemode development anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #460
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts
    God damn I'm sorry for being such a dumbass letting everyone wait. I've had a busy summer and at this moment I am incapable of futher developing on Devinity 2 for the time being because of my 1ghz single core laptop being incapable of doing much.

I did work on many improvements in MawBase (Which is the base gamemode used for Devinity 2).

There is still no official set dead-line for Devinity 2 yet, but I will try and keep you more updated now.

Heres some interresting news:

you can not walk on ships however you can walk on mining platforms and asteroids. ;P
    Mining platforms can only be deployed by mining ships. These are useful for large extraction plans in distant solar systems. The platforms deploys the amount of drones of your decision. These drones will continously mine for minerals until the platform is filled up. The platform will repair and manage these drones for eternity... until a gay pirate blows it up. Mining ships is the only type of ships which can operate these platforms. You can use transport ships to collect the ore tho.

Faction stations can also be deployed on solar systems with very rare minerals. It's about 1 out of every 50 solar systems that has valuable ores waiting to be extracted. It might be worth fighting for with such value :)

On the other hand, you will love the new sun. You can have a look at the mawbase version of it right here: http://www.deathrun.net/fastdl/thema...wbase_v3.2.rar

I believe the server will either be a 20 slot server or a 30 slot server. Good quality and doesn't lagg that much so you will have a nice game experience while playing. Factions can build structures on the planet but you people might already know this.

Love you Garry for the ZNear thing. No need for me to use FOV anymore :>
    because of this update, the skybox textures will no longer be fuzzy or blurry. HAPPY FACE!!

For the little curious people, admins won't have much power over the players and will barely have the ability for abuse to violently.. They just get some kick n bans then some other various of Devinity 2 related stuff, but nothing like Noclipping into space or anything like that.

Stay tuned cus... idk..

PS: move thread to gamemode development please as the guy above stated..

EDIT: more plans here:

Theres 2 types of ships. Common ships which is sold by most stations and the Rare ships.
    Rare ships are sold by nomads across the universe of Devinity. These nomads sells a limited amount of rare ships, so you have to be quick if you find one.. or keep it secret.

Rare ships are more powerful/useful than common ships. Nomads like to hang around in asteroids camping... Oh and you can walk around his asteroid camp. ;P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    74 Posts
    sounds f**king awesome :D will player's be able to sell ship's to each other? for example if a player gets one of the limited rare ships they could sell it to another player for a ridiculous amount of money, haha!

p.s do you need any model's atall? i might be able to help if you do, that's when you get back onto this project :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #462
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts
    sounds f**king awesome :D will player's be able to sell ship's to each other? for example if a player gets one of the limited rare ships they could sell it to another player for a ridiculous amount of money, haha!

p.s do you need any model's atall? i might be able to help if you do, that's when you get back onto this project :)
    Am fine. I'd rather want to stick with doing these kind of gamemodes myself. All the developers listed on OP are inactive.

23. Post #463

August 2009
    27 Posts
    I wondered where this thread went, glad I found it so I can keep watch on it now. From all the features described so far, I am absolutely ecstatic about this gamemode's release!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

24. Post #464
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts
    I think Sunrise 2 - Dawn of Devinity sounds better for this gamemode, what do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

25. Post #465
    LOL
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,070 Posts
    I think Sunrise 2 - Dawn of Devinity sounds better for this gamemode, what do you think?
    Make it just 'New Eden'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #466
    April 2010
    5 Posts
    It does have a certain ring to it, I think that would be a good name.

27. Post #467
    October 2009
    1,649 Posts
    There is still no official set dead-line for Devinity 2 yet, but I will try and keep you more updated now.

Heres some interresting news:

you can not walk on ships however you can walk on mining platforms and asteroids. ;P
    Damn it maw, you're killing me here. First, you say the release date is Christmas, then February (I think?), then april and summer. I understand you are busy, and there have been A LOT of set backs, but you need to stop setting release dates until you can't make. If you set a release date it should be released on that date or a lot of people will lose interest because of lack of faith, etc. That's why this thread is so slow now. There's like less then 10 people following it. If you need to set up a beta then go for it. Silverlan has set up a nice open beta for his gamemode. It kept people's interest and kept them patient.

Oh, that's disapointing. I really wanted to be able to walk around my ship...

Now for the "bright" side of my post. Its great you're still working on this. Lots of people in your place would've given up by now. Really goes to show your dedication. I congratulate you on that.

That's a good change log you have going. Can't wait.

I just realized I've been following this thread for over 8 months. Wow. And to another 8 more!

28. Post #468
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts
    Damn it maw, you're killing me here. First, you say the release date is Christmas, then February (I think?), then april and summer. I understand you are busy, and there have been A LOT of set backs, but you need to stop setting release dates until you can't make. If you set a release date it should be released on that date or a lot of people will lose interest because of lack of faith, etc. That's why this thread is so slow now. There's like less then 10 people following it. If you need to set up a beta then go for it. Silverlan has set up a nice open beta for his gamemode. It kept people's interest and kept them patient.

Oh, that's disapointing. I really wanted to be able to walk around my ship...

Now for the "bright" side of my post. Its great you're still working on this. Lots of people in your place would've given up by now. Really goes to show your dedication. I congratulate you on that.

That's a good change log you have going. Can't wait.

I just realized I've been following this thread for over 8 months. Wow. And to another 8 more!
    I can't. The players DEMAND a release date because of impatience.

29. Post #469
    April 2010
    5 Posts
    The Maw, I've been looking at some of your previous work, and noticed that there is no download available for the gamemodes I've seen. Now, I don't know if this is just because they're older or you only host them on a single server. If that's not the case, are you going to have a download for Devinity 2? I'm interested in playing this with friends primarily, and using it on our own private server. Or have you not gotten to a point in development to consider this yet?

Edit:Well, I looked at sunrise a bit more and noticed you state there isn't a download for the gamemode. Will the same apply to Devinity?

30. Post #470
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    The Maw, I've been looking at some of your previous work, and noticed that there is no download available for the gamemodes I've seen. Now, I don't know if this is just because they're older or you only host them on a single server. If that's not the case, are you going to have a download for Devinity 2? I'm interested in playing this with friends primarily, and using it on our own private server. Or have you not gotten to a point in development to consider this yet?

Edit:Well, I looked at sunrise a bit more and noticed you state there isn't a download for the gamemode. Will the same apply to Devinity?
    He has never released any of the gamemodes he made. So I was assume that is true for this one too.

31. Post #471
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts

Private gamemodes remain private. Having official servers only is more fun than having <insert amount> servers having the gamemode.
    I'm also more private about news on my gamemodes, which is the reason for my inactivity on facepunch. I tell my friends updates about everyday and even giving them access to servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #472
    October 2009
    1,649 Posts
    I can't. The players DEMAND a release date because of impatience.
    Don't listen to them. I rather have a well-worked on gamemode then one that was rushed and incomplete, buggy and lacking content. Take your time. Even if we are getting a bit cranky.

33. Post #473

April 2010
    81 Posts
    I wish to remain instead with EVE, my Erebus looks more sexy there in null space.

34. Post #474
    April 2010
    5 Posts
    Private gamemodes remain private. Having official servers only is more fun than having <insert amount> servers having the gamemode.
    I'm also more private about news on my gamemodes, which is the reason for my inactivity on facepunch. I tell my friends updates about everyday and even giving them access to servers.
    Okay, thanks for letting me know.

35. Post #475
    August 2011
    10 Posts
    I know i can't change your mind but i can ask. Please don't make it private, if you do the it will die sooner than later and less people will be interested in it (would you join to a server that is the only one having a gamemode that you haven't even seen a single time?) I really think that this gamemode is too great to die that way!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #476
    March 2008
    1,321 Posts
    I know i can't change your mind but i can ask. Please don't make it private, if you do the it will die sooner than later and less people will be interested in it (would you join to a server that is the only one having a gamemode that you haven't even seen a single time?) I really think that this gamemode is too great to die that way!
    Just because theres only one server doesn't make it dead. When developers scrap it, thats where it dies, unless some people decides to edit and modify it pretending to be the original creator.. *cough*

Anyhow, I cleaned up... everything in the gamemode. It's finaly back on the track but I lost some features. Takes a while to put that back in. ;P
    I also had the time to cleanup Population 2 so thats also in the run.

I did a mayor upgrade on my base gamemode aswell. If you want it, http://www.deathrun.net/fastdl/themaw/public/

Stuky (My best server hoster) gave me a 128 slot server. It will most likely be the Devinity 2 server. >_O
    He also gave me a 16 slot server for the beta testers to play around in Devinity 2 while am doing work >:D!!!

EDIT:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    August 2011
    10 Posts
    I know but like i said it very unlikely that someone will join a lone server with a gamemode that he hasn't seen before. I'm sure that here is a lot for people willing to create a server with this and it will definitely give it more popularity. Also I know it doesn't work that way but if you are willing to then count me in for beta testing ;)

2 posts *cough* everything has to start with something :P

edit//: a Dislike? to which part of the post?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #478

June 2009
    1,811 Posts
    But everyone is anticipating Devinity 2 so of COURSE when it goes up everyone will be like OHEY DIVINITY *MASH JOIN BUTTON MULTIPLE TIMES*

39. Post #479
    August 2011
    10 Posts
    Ok i understand, i just saw too many gamemodes fall because of just that 1 reason but i wont mind if it will be private. Another question, about beta test (yes I'm gonna now do everything i could only think of to get into the beta server :L) How do you plan inviting people into beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #480
    August 2010
    1,180 Posts
    You sir are giving that 128 slot server disuse syndrome. I suggest you start hosting the beta on it immediately to remedy the problem. It must be public, or it will never get enough players to get over the syndrome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)