1. Post #201
    nox
    March 2007
    2,202 Posts
    I am. Looks like Valve is targeting a niche market with this one. Dota 1? Never heard of it, maybe it would be more appealing if I did, but from my perspective, it looks unoriginal and uninteresting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #202
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    Okay then, in 100 words or fewer, describe DotA's gameplay basics.
    Because it got ignored. Seriously, I want to know what DotA is like. Tell me.

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Wikipedia posted:
    Defense of the Ancients pits two teams of players against each other: the Sentinel and the Scourge. Players on the Sentinel team are based at the southwest corner of the map, and those on the Scourge team are based at the northeast corner. Each base is defended by towers and waves of units which guard the main paths leading to their base. In the center of each base is the "Ancient", a building that must be destroyed to win the game.[5][6]
    Each human player controls one Hero, a powerful unit with unique abilities. In DotA, players on each side choose one of 104 heroes, each with different abilities and tactical advantages over other heroes.[7] The scenario is highly team-oriented; it is difficult for one player to carry the team to victory alone.[8] Defense of the Ancients allows up to ten players in a five-versus-five format and an additional two slots for referees or observers, often with an equal number of players on each side.
    Because the gameplay revolves around strengthening individual heroes, it does not require one to focus on resource management and base-building, unlike most traditional real-time strategy games. Killing computer-controlled or neutral units earns the player experience points; when enough experience is accumulated, the player gains a level. Leveling up improves the hero's toughness and the damage it can inflict, and allows players to upgrade their spells or skills. In addition to accumulating experience, players also manage a single resource: gold. The typical resource-gathering of Warcraft III is replaced by a combat-oriented money system; in addition to a small periodic income, heroes earn gold by killing hostile units, base structures, and enemy heroes.[9] This has caused emphasis on a technique called "last-hitting," which is when the player attacks a hostile unit when "its hit points are low enough to kill it with one blow".[10] Using gold, players buy items to strengthen their hero and gain abilities; certain items can be combined with recipes to create more powerful items. Buying items that suit one's hero is an important tactical element of the scenario.[11] Item choice also effects play style, as any given item may increase one statistic (for example, attack per minute) while leaving another (damage per attack) alone.
    DotA offers a variety of game modes, selected by the game host at the beginning of the match. The game modes dictate the difficulty of the scenario, as well as whether people can choose their hero or are assigned one randomly. Many game modes can be combined (for example, an easy difficulty level and a random hero pick), allowing more flexible options.[12]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #204
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts
    [Telling what DotA is like]
    So it's like a basic tower defense game mixed with a RPG, but keeping a top-down type of view?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    So it's like a basic tower defense game mixed with a RPG, but keeping a top-down type of view?
    Maybe more of a basic RTS mixed with an RPG, rather than a tower defense, but that's pretty much the idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,263 Posts
    I am. Looks like Valve is targeting a niche market with this one. Dota 1? Never heard of it, maybe it would be more appealing if I did, but from my perspective, it looks unoriginal and uninteresting.
    never heard of dota? are you 10?

Edited:

wait scratch that, considering 10 year olds plays LoL so they know what dota is since there's a comparison between the two games on the LoL client.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,264 Posts
    Unorginal? Are you fucking kidding me? It was the first of it's kind. Also, Valve is appealing to a fucking huge market, online competitive arena games are extremely popular. Dota-style-games have a competitive appeal as big as, if not bigger than, that of Star Craft.

Not to mention Valve is obviously trying to appeal to other gamers too, since they already have a coaching system and the like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

8. Post #208
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    It was the first of it's kind.
    Aeon of Strife
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,263 Posts
    Aeon of Strife
    nobody played that buggy shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #210
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,940 Posts
    never heard of dota? are you 10?

Edited:

wait scratch that, considering 10 year olds plays LoL so they know what dota is since there's a comparison between the two games on the LoL client.
    I never heard of DotA until Valve and I'm 18. :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 3Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    I learned about DotA from this song:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 6Disagree x 4Funny x 2Late x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    I never heard of DotA until Valve and I'm 18. :colbert:
    I did and never played WarCraft 3 and I'm 15. :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,178 Posts
    I did and never played WarCraft 3 and I'm 15. :colbert:
    Well considering, that's totally normal. Most people remember WarCraft 3 from when they were like 17 and it was new

14. Post #214
    July 2010
    4,944 Posts
    Just as an FYI, the guy who posted the leak on 4chan posted on that site confirming he was trolling.
    That doesn't necessarily mean he WAS the OP, although he did post the rumor on other sites himself.

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,671 Posts
    As I've said, I haven't ever played or even looked in the first Dota's direction, but I enjoyed the hell out of this second one.
    It's no where near uninteresting.

Edited:

Could I convince you if I told you Gabe plays it daily?

Edited:

Playtest, sorry. He doesn't play it, he playtests it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    793 Posts
    I would like to see some gameplay videos or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,178 Posts
    Unorginal? Are you fucking kidding me? It was the first of it's kind. Also, Valve is appealing to a fucking huge market, online competitive arena games are extremely popular. Dota-style-games have a competitive appeal as big as, if not bigger than, that of Star Craft.

Not to mention Valve is obviously trying to appeal to other gamers too, since they already have a coaching system and the like.
    I can imagine that if Dota2 IS a FTP, then the guys over at the hat department of Valve are going to have a fucking field day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #218
    April 2011
    67 Posts
    As I've said, I haven't ever played or even looked in the first Dota's direction, but I enjoyed the hell out of this second one.
    It's no where near uninteresting.

Edited:

Could I convince you if I told you Gabe plays it daily?

Edited:

Playtest, sorry. He doesn't play it, he playtests it.
    Actually Gabe plays it. As in, he plays it as if he was somewhat addicted. What's more important, a lot of the game devs @ Valve are playing it for fun at home AFTER playtesting it all day. Erik Johnson said they build and test it all day, and then go home and play it for fun till 2am. :D

I would like to see some gameplay videos or something.
    Soon, soon. It's looking really, really cool... I have not played it but I've watched it being played live. Awesome stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    October 2005
    49 Posts
    Valve make some pretty amazing and competitive games maybe they wanna get into the MOBA e-sports scene, will be hard to challenge LoL over it though.

"Dota 1" was a mod for WC3 which was pretty popular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #220
    July 2010
    4,944 Posts
    I think the footing Valve has in CS, and even TF2 & L4D, can help push Valve into the e-sports arena with Dota 2.

21. Post #221
    October 2005
    49 Posts
    I think the footing Valve has in CS, and even TF2 & L4D, can help push Valve into the e-sports arena with Dota 2.
    Agree, and just generally how smart / successful of a company they are IMO they can pull it off.

22. Post #222
    July 2010
    4,944 Posts
    Yeah. Valve pulled in a huge crowd of art-centered gamers with L4D, Portal, and TF2: prior to which often left untapped. For Valve, that's a major switch in demographics compared to the rather "hardcore" focus often attributed with Counter-Strike and Half-Life. If Valve could pull off that, well, I'm pretty sure they can lure in the tourneys too.

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,263 Posts
    Valve make some pretty amazing and competitive games maybe they wanna get into the MOBA e-sports scene, will be hard to challenge LoL over it though.

"Dota 1" was a mod for WC3 which was pretty popular.
    LoL is in no way competitive and never will be with riot in charge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #224
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    LoL is in no way competitive and never will be with riot in charge.
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,263 Posts
    changing seeds after the seeds have been placed? spectator mode being ass? shitty balancing? not remaking a match because "he left after first blood"?

26. Post #226
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    changing seeds after the seeds have been placed?
    I can agree with this, it was dumb.
    spectator mode being ass?
    What was wrong with spectator mode? It was fine, it showed everything people needed to know, the only thing wrong with it is the fact that they let the fucking retards control the info being shown.
    shitty balancing?
    Welcome to every game ever that gets consistent content updates.
    not remaking a match because "he left after first blood"?
    What match was this? Either way the rules were clear to the players. If a 'DC' occurs after 5 minutes, they must continue playing. While I can certainly agree with many complaints that so many disconnects should NEVER happen in a LAN game with a $100,000 prize pool(Or any amount, really), it was only Riot's 2nd "big" tourny(iirc), so obviously they still have a way to go before 'perfecting' it. They don't have the years of tournament experience that CS has.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

27. Post #227
    October 2005
    49 Posts
    It was kinda their first try anyway, they will get it worked out tbh and they have close relations to ESL so i'm sure they will get better with stuff like that.

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    171 Posts
    The day this comes out, no one will see me for at least 2 months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #229
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    The day this comes out, no one will see me for at least 2 months.
    Unless they play DotA 2.

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    171 Posts
    Unless they play DotA 2.
    Well, they'll see my virtual self, but not physically. I plan to lock myself in my room, and not leave for a very long time. Fuck sleep.

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    A bunch of 12 year olds choose the most overpowered characters they can and run right in the middle of the enemy base, they all ragequit because someone who actually knows how to play killed them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,292 Posts
    A bunch of 12 year olds choose the most overpowered characters they can and run right in the middle of the enemy base, they all ragequit because someone who actually knows how to play killed them.
    Just like in LoL. Well, they are same.
    Went to a math contest, 3 or 4 guys in my bus talked about LoL and about always THIS GUY IS OP and THIS GUY IS UNDERPOWERED.

33. Post #233
    June 2011
    2,946 Posts
    i played every single Valve's game.
    I'm not going to abandon this tradition.
    Also, i never got dissapointed in any of this company's games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,495 Posts
    i played every single Valve's game.
    I'm not going to abandon this tradition.
    Also, i never got dissapointed in any of this company's games.
    L4D/L4D2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #235
    I BOUGHT THIS WITH BLOOD MONEY
    June 2011
    4,146 Posts
    L4D/L4D2?
    Brilliant games unless you have no friends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Zing Zing x 2 (list)

36. Post #236
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    Valve is using the new content delivery system to distribute DotA 2 "soon"

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #237
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    You’ll also be able to download an update to a game while you’re playing that game; Steam will apply the update after you exit the game.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,136 Posts
    Did they say if the game going to have large maps or is going to be shrinking everything down to make maps seem big?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #239
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,263 Posts
    why would that matter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #240
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,958 Posts
    Mapping possibilites and future games perhaps. Probably shrinking everything though.