1. Post #1
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    alright chumps time to get learned about star trek. Look beyond the nerd conventions, My thoughts, to your thoughts. Basically this thread is dedicated to the star trek television series, including all the other versions (such as TNG)

Star trek: The original series

Created by Gene Roddenberry. This was the first star trek ever released, it was extraordinary when it was released. you can easily tell this was made in the 1960's (1966 to be exact), from the sounds not matching any of the effects to the 3 foot star ship model held on fishing line, you can see that any sort of special effect was in it's infancy, and that any and all cgi simply didn't exist.

Star trek: The Next Generation

This was the second incarnation to be released, and personally, I think of it as the best. Just like the first one, it was created by gene roddenberry, Who sadly passed away during this series in 1991 (4 years after it first aired in 1987). This series had it's fair share of connections to the original series. Towards the end of the third season the show's whole theme somewhat shifted a little. Prior to the third season finale the show was quite episodic, where plot lines didn't really transfer over, however after the showing of the season 3 finale the show shifted to a more streamlined plot and included a lot more drama.

Star trek: Deep Space Nine

This was the third incarnation of star trek, first debuting in 1993 (during star trek: The next generation), and consequently had many crossovers, such as the characters from The next generation meeting up with characters in Deep space nine. It was the first to not be created by gene roddenberry, but instead created by Rick berman and michael piller. This series wasn't based on a star ship, but instead based on a starbase. Unline star trek: The original series, and Star trek: the next generation, Deep space nine had long story arcs over multiple episodes, and very complex character development, such as characters having more inter-personal conflicts, something that gene roddenberry forbid.

Star Trek: Voyager

This was the fourth incarnation of star trek, first debuting in 1995 (during the airing of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) It was created by Rick Berman, Michael Piller, and Jeri Taylor. It was the first Star Trek series to feature a Female Captain as well. This series has more of a familial crew, and has much more engaging action sequences and light humor. The whole series has one big plotline, but each episode tends to have it's own little story with parts that carry over in to the next episode. This is based on the Voyager starship Trying to find an enemy vessel, when suddenly both voyager and the enemy vessel are forced in to the delta quadrant over 70,000 lightyears away, by a powerful being named the caretaker. During the transit many of the crew died, and now the enemy vessel and Voyager have to work together on a 70,000 lightyear trek back home, which would take approximately 70 years.

Star Trek: Enterprise

This series first debuted in 2001, and was created by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Enterprise is a prequel to Star Trek: The Original Series. Enterprise ran only 4 seasons before it's cancellation in 2005. Sorry I can't provide more information as I do not want to watch this series. GB calls it a shit stain on the star trek franchise, but I'm sure it has some hidden gems in it.

Timeline wise -

Star Trek: Enterprise - 2151 - 2155
    Star Trek: The original Series - 2265 - 2269
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - 2364 - 2370
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 2369 - 2375
    Star Trek: Voyager - 2371 - 2378

I personally recommend to everyone watch Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Voyager. Both are AMAZING. Star Trek Voyager is VERY close to star trek: The Next Generation in my books, season 4 blew me away at how good it was as a whole, and almost made me reconsider my top spot.

So, what do you all think of star trek?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner x 24Informative x 4Agree x 2Funny x 2Friendly x 1Late x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Voted Facepunch's Most Beautiful
    October 2006
    19,217 Posts
    why no 2009 movie? it was a great movie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 52Disagree Disagree x 19Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    why no 2009 movie? it was a great movie
    cuz the 2009 movie has some other thread or somethin, idk.

that being said the 2009 movie was probably the best star trek movie ever made. also it was on a different timeline
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,573 Posts
    woot star trek .. `take us to warp 10`
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    the original Star Trek was pretty decent but overrated as fuck

I'm so tired of people liking old things just because they're old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 28Agree Agree x 14 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    woot star trek .. `take us to warp 10`
    nathaz ur so banned

Edited:

the original Star Trek was pretty decent but overrated as fuck

I'm so tired of people liking old things just because they're old
    agreed. It really hasn't held up to time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,095 Posts
    Next Generation is best generation. DS9 and Voyager are pretty good but TNG will always be my favourite. The original is alright if you can just ignore how stupid it actually is (in a good way). Some of the fight scenes are ridiculously bad even for the time which makes it more enjoyable to watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

8. Post #8
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,762 Posts
    I love DS9, been watching it a lot lately since my uncle(who is a massive Trekkie) recently bought every Star Trek series on DVD after having them on VHS for so long.
    He let me borrow DS9 since he was cramming through TOS.

I'm in the middle of season 2 and I'm really digging it, feels somewhat similar to Babylon 5 but not quite.

Before DS9 my only Star Trek experiences were through all of the movies and occasionally catching Voyager(recently bought the first season on DVD but I'm going to finish DS9 first) at 1 or 4 or in the morning.

Oh yeah and I watched most of Enterprise but the extremely hammy acting and boring characters(except for Archer) put me off from ever finishing it even though the Temporal Cold War seemed like a cool idea.

Of the movies I saw I loved Undiscovered Country, Wrath of Khan, First Contact, and the 2009 Star Trek.

I also got my hands on a few old TOS comics from the 80s at a flea market and I got Elite Force 1 & 2 and Bridge Commander at Gamestop a few years ago.

I really love Star Trek even though I've barely even scratched the surface of any of the series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    holy shit, he has all of them on DVD? I really want to get voyager and TNG on dvd but each set is like $400

I also loved first contact, IMO anything dealing with borg is so god damn cool. I watched the entire TNG series in order (season 1 - 7) over the course of probably a year, and I'm on voyager (already at season 5 like 2 months in haha), after I finish voyager I'm moving to DS9 cause I hear good things about it too.

Edited:

I remember watching all of the star trek movies with my dad in one night (not including TNG movies and 2009), we borrowed them from a friend a long time ago, and it was cool, but it was also so long ago that I can't remember much

10. Post #10
    August 2008
    8,762 Posts
    Yeah, he bought them all brand new.
    Called me over to check out the collection and I nearly shit myself.

11. Post #11
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    Next Generation is best generation. DS9 and Voyager are pretty good but TNG will always be my favourite. The original is alright if you can just ignore how stupid it actually is (in a good way). Some of the fight scenes are ridiculously bad even for the time which makes it more enjoyable to watch.
    oh god some of the fight scenes in ToS are so bad, I honestly would find myself laughing at ToS more than actually taking it seriously.

12. Post #12
    goatse
    January 2006
    32,145 Posts
    TNG is great, I think Voyager did awesome in bringing out the best of what TNG had done. DS9 charater and drama does great, though I never really got deep into it

The doctor owns, so does 7 of 9.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2008
    8,762 Posts
    There seems to be universal hate for Voyager amongst the hardcore Trekkies though, I never understood why.
    It's a very fun show from what I've seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    TNG is great, I think Voyager did awesome in bringing out the best of what TNG had done. DS9 charater and drama does great, though I never really got deep into it

The doctor owns, so does 7 of 9.
    The best thing to ever grace star trek

Edited:

There seems to be universal hate for Voyager amongst the hardcore Trekkies though, I never understood why.
    It's a very fun show from what I've seen.
    I don't know why, it did what TNG did in terms of the theme behind it (exploration, morals, etc), and didn't butcher anything, and had a great underlying storyline.

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    136 Posts
    I've been watching TNG for 2 months now (the first time I've watched Star Trek) and I love it.

The characters are greatly made, they have chemistry with each other and are amusing. Every episode has a good and exciting plot and the way they reference an episode that happened 2 seasons ago is just a nice touch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

16. Post #16
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    I can't believe how old TNG really is, it doesn't even seem like that old of a show, but here's a somewhat recent picture of some of the cast.

dunno who the fatso in the middle is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,277 Posts
    The Next Generation is fucking incredible. I dressed up as Data for Halloween last year
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

18. Post #18
    Voted Facepunch's Most Beautiful
    October 2006
    19,217 Posts
    I can't believe how old TNG really is, it doesn't even seem like that old of a show, but here's a somewhat recent picture of some of the cast.

thats craptasket
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,371 Posts
    Voyager is my favorite of all the series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    goatse
    January 2006
    32,145 Posts
    thats craptasket

I was going to ironically post that it was me but damn you beat me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    Voyager is my favorite of all the series.
    It def rivals TNG in terms of quality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    21,945 Posts
    Next Generation has always been my favorite. Picard is an awesome character and reminds me a ton of my grandfather.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I remember once having Deep Space Nine once on TV at 2am at night. I decided what the hell, may as well watch it

It absolutely sucked, was dissapointed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    391 Posts
    The Star Trek Universe as a whole is awesome. I am on the 6th season of Deep Space 9, I never really started in the correct order of watching them. But after DS9 I only have TOS left to watch. And I don't see why people hate Star Trek Enterprise, it was a good series maybe not the best compared to the others but it wasn't bad in any way (except finale episode, those that have watched probably understands...). And for those that say it sucks and "I read that people says it sucks" without having even watched it, go have a look for yourself before you judge it.

I really like TNG because of the really awesome characters, but I also enjoy DS9 because of it being totally different. Garak is amazing with his sarcastic jokes. And how can you not love Dr.Bashir and Miles O'Brien AKA Chief. Then we have Quark and Odo and their disputes, but deep inside they like each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    21,945 Posts
    Most people seem to have disliked it because it was too much like a soap opera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    To say it sucks without watching it is fucking stupid

at least I have something to base my opinion on

The movies were cool, I've seen Nemesis and some one with some crazy space egg which fucks with people's shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    21,945 Posts
    I watched the first season of Enterprise, I didn't really like it but that's because it didn't seem like it really happened before the other series. And Nemesis was awesome. The scene where Data Supermans from the Enterprise to what's his face's ship was the best part of the movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Man I can't remember, but I know that I enjoyed it

Edited:

If the original star trek was to be on TV, I'd watch it

It was just like some CSI episode that I watched

They killed some dude with a fucked up face, and one of the dudes on the ship was blamed for it. Also I think somebody wanted to start a school or something

It was just really boring for me, but I haven't 100% made up my mind yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

29. Post #29
    October 2010
    457 Posts
    I'll end up watching enterprise, but I still don't have extremely high hopes for it. But before i watch enterprise im gonna watch ds9

Edited:

I watched the first season of Enterprise, I didn't really like it but that's because it didn't seem like it really happened before the other series. And Nemesis was awesome. The scene where Data Supermans from the Enterprise to what's his face's ship was the best part of the movie.
    i hated that part, cause that's when I knew    data was going to die   

Edited:

I for the most part enjoyed nemesis though, it wasn't all that bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2005
    59 Posts
    TOS is very dated but if you give it a chance it grows on you extremely quickly. While the general atmosphere is very cheesy, you have to remember it's a low budget SCI-FI show from the SIXTIES and while it may look like (frankly) crap these days, it set a number of records in special effects at the time.

The thing about TOS is that the aesthetic doesn't really matter at all because it's all about brilliant characterization and quality storytelling. Its legacy is what it is because it's so wonderfully and timelessly presented. I challenge anyone to pick five random episodes of TOS and not be somewhat attached to at least one character after watching them.

Basically, you have to remember that the show is almost fifty years old and you can learn to look past its smelly, dated outer rind.

And of course TNG is awesome one of the greatest shows ever made etc. etc. no need to sing its praises anymore

Edited:

I mean watch this scene from The Original Series and tell me it doesn't charm you at least a little bit

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2006
    132 Posts
    TNG and Voyager are by far the most interesting.

DS9: to boldly stay where we are and hope something interesting comes along
    It's full of stupid this like a prophecy. Only interesting episodes I've seen were the comflict ones (i.e Defiant and the Dominion)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    I mean watch this scene from The Original Series and tell me it doesn't charm you at least a little bit

earlier in the episode

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #33
    July 2010
    958 Posts
    TNG and Voyager are by far the most interesting.

DS9: to boldly stay where we are and hope something interesting comes along
    It's full of stupid this like a prophecy. Only interesting episodes I've seen were the comflict ones (i.e Defiant and the Dominion)
    So the ones with the big amounts of CGI and Space Battles and ships exploding and phasers and torpedoes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Everything I post is absolute bollocks until proven otherwise.
    July 2008
    10,772 Posts
    I've met Patrick Stewart. I didn't talk to him about Star Trek though. We just briefly spoke about Christmas Carol. I assumed he was tired of talking about Star Trek so chose not to mention it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 16Friendly Friendly x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,548 Posts
    I've got every episode of TNG, DS9 and VOY.

Also, there's already a Star Trek thread but it died on its arse months ago.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,059 Posts
    TNG and Voyager are my favourites. They have good storylines and overarcing plots so you can watch a series or just an episode and enjoy it. DS9 is also very good but a lot of episodes were directly related and if you didn't see one you'd miss vital details. I never liked TOS, it was just too cheesy and forced for me. Probably Shatner, I always hated Shatner.

Edited:

And Enterprise had good acting but the story was fucking awful. I wanted early Earths politics with the Vulcans, Klingon and Andorans, not that retarded time war with the Xindi.

Infact most of the time travel episodes were shit. Fuck off 29th century, stop fucking everything up! :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

37. Post #37
    March 2010
    2,435 Posts
    Love Voyager. Especially the Doctor - one of the most unique characters I've seen in Television.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,144 Posts
    Be nice if they made another show like The Next Generation, that one was my favourite as well. Although it probably wouldn't be very popular among non-Trek fans and so be unsuccessful commercially...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

39. Post #39
    August 2006
    132 Posts
    So the ones with the big amounts of CGI and Space Battles and ships exploding and phasers and torpedoes?
    For DS9, yes, the characters didn't interest me. In TNG and Voyager nearly every episode had something interesting to offer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,051 Posts
    My opinions on each of the series:

TOS: Really good and obviously is the most Star-Trekky, but it's often let down by the fact that they didn't have a sense of continuity yet. Like in many episodes they claim different substances are the strongest known to man. Then in another episode they have a truth serum that is never mentioned ever again. I love the formula it used though; Enterprise encounters something strange, they investigate, can't save the day, Scotty pushes it, they save the day. It would have gotten stale eventually so I'm glad it finished when it did.
    And while episodes such as the Nazi Planet or Yankies/Commies Planet episodes seemed cheesy, can sometimes be quite good, so long as you look past a lot of the really dumb stuff that's in there.

TAS: Only ever seen two episodes of this so I can't really have an opinion on it. From the episodes I've seen it wasn't vary good. I think they got kidnapped by some McDonalds fries or something.

TNG: My favourite series. I know a lot of people say it would have been better if it didn't portray humanity (and often the rest of the Federation) as already having achieved the perfect society, but it didn't really show Earth all that much at all. On the flagship of the Federation they're going to only have the best, I'm sure not everyone is as mature as Picard. What I really love about the series though is how it manages to be exciting without having all that much action in it. The Enterprise rarely ever got into a massive battle, even in "Yesterday's Enterprise" when the timeline is changed and they've been at war with the Klingons for years, there isn't that much of a big battle even though it's a warship.
    In addition to all this I generally like the layout of the Enterprise. It's nice and bright on most decks, lots of room on the bridge and engineering. I had a better sense of where things were than in the original series too. Was the red trapezium thing in TOS the warp core? I dunno.

DS9: I barely ever have a chance to watch this as it's either never on, or it's on when I'm at school. I generally don't like darker shows (darker in the lighting sense), and since DS9 is pretty brown and beige everywhere I was put off for quite a while. When I did get around to watching some of it I really liked it though. It was good to see them stray from the "planet of the week" thing that the past series had been doing.

VOY: I do quite like Voyager too but I don't like it as much as TNG or TOS. One big reason for this is because it went from "We've got to get home!" to "The Doctor, Captain Janeway and Seven of Nine Show". It barely had any character development for anyone else. Not many of the other characters were very good anyway. Chakotay is pretty boring, when he's on an away mission but isn't the main character of the episode, I generally can't stand to watch it. Then there's Harry Kim. I quite like him but he never does anything interesting and the crew care so little about him that when he dies in one episode they act as if everything's normal since they have a parallel universe version of him.
    Don't even get me started on the Borg. In TNG they were the biggest threat ever; one cube could destroy all of Starfleet. In Voyager, one Intrepid class ship could destroy the entire collective. I'm not saying they shouldn't have included the Borg, but they shouldn't have made them into the race of bees that don't consider you a threat despite the fact you've beaten them hundreds of times already.

ENT: I can understand why a lot of people hate it. There are quite a few good episodes but there are far more bad ones than the other series. It might have to do with the fact that you know they're going to win since the rest of Star Trek happens in the future. My favourite episodes that can stand by themselves and don't rely on any other episodes (in fact this applies to each of the series and most of the movies as well). My favourite one would be "In a Mirror, Darkly" since it doesn't rely on any other episode except for maybe "The Tholian Web", but that isn't necessary. I really disliked the whole Xindi arc though, since it just felt like it was dragged out and the fact that Earth isn't destroyed in the future takes a lot away.

cuz the 2009 movie has some other thread or somethin, idk.

that being said the 2009 movie was probably the best star trek movie ever made. also it was on a different timeline
    Nah, I wouldn't say it's the best movie. It's definitely good, but it doesn't beat II, IV or VI in my opinion.
    Something that I want answered about the 2009 movie is this: the stardate system is changed so that it corresponds to the Gregorian year. However, when Spock asks the Jellyfish Ship for its stardate of manufacture, it replies with the year as in the new format, but since it was built in the original Trek timeline, it should have responded in the old format.

Who's the guy in the back? Also wtf is up with her nose?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)