14,844 Posts
    Community is in second place right behind Chuck in that TV Guide thing

keep voting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    Really? I mean, I know that comes up later in the bathroom scene when she's talking about it in a bit more detail.
    Yeah, Alison stated that we'll see more about her apartment; apparently her landlord is fucked up.    Annie's going to be moving in with Troy and Abed, she said, hence the discussion of how dodgy her apartment is, and the gun.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

4. Post #164
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,844 Posts
    Yeah, Alison stated that we'll see more about her apartment; apparently her landlord is fucked up.    Annie's going to be moving in with Troy and Abed, she said, hence the discussion of how dodgy her apartment is, and the gun.   
       And how good she is at chloroforming people   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gar
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    453 Posts
    Is it just me, (and hopefully it isn't, otherwise something may be wrong with me,) but did the show's tone or quality change after they got back from Christmas break in season two? Abed's Christmas episode was hilarious, as was most of the previous episodes in season two, (and all of season one,) but then it just seemed to get...strange. I don't know.

Pierce turned evil, and the group started bickering more and more. The paintball episodes were pretty funny, but then season three got weird again.

Chang's presence in the show seems like a waste of time, (his episode with Britta was kind of funny at times,) but as a security guard, he still lacks the weight he once had as a teacher. I mean, as a teacher he had the power to fail all of them, creating an actual threat to Jeff's plan to graduate as quickly as possible.

They had an episode in season two devoted just to show how the group bickers all the time; Annie points out how the group's friendship is toxic. The near same line is used in an episode in season three as the group is still bickering. (That, and they were being serious assholes to everyone outside the group.) Remember in season one and most of the first half of season two when they were actual friends?

The only time I've really laughed this whole season is during the evil timeline. What happened? Is it me? This show used to be my favorite show on TV but now...I mean, people still think it's funny. I want to think it's funny, am I missing something? I don't want to be that elitist fan who always thinks the earlier seasons are the best and that the show jumped the shark or something, (because I wouldn't be much of a fan if I was like that,) I'm just hoping to get another perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #166
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,914 Posts
    no I agree, the show went downhill since the first half of season 2 (besides the paintball episodes)
    it has started to focus on the friendships in the group which honestly aren't that funny or well developed, and it's been relying on recurring jokes like most of what chang does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

7. Post #167
    July 2010
    5,173 Posts
    I really never got that impression at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    I think any show that has been lucky enough to get to its third season (especially one that has 20+ episode seasons) will inevitably start to attract criticism, as people seem to like to complain about it just for the sake of complaining (not saying that's what's happening here; you have valid points). Community has been criticized a lot since the third season began, and I feel like a lot of it has to do with people jumping on the bandwagon. You hear people do it all the time, like, "Oh, I used to like Community and then it jumped the shark," or, "I liked Community when it was good, and no-one watched it." People do it all the time with music and television.

Having said that, I think the show has taken a few turns that have negatively impacted it. Chang's always been at his best in an authority position for sure. Pierce becoming addicted to drugs, and no-one realizing was frankly awful. On that note, the way in which they've been arguing more is a little upsetting - I want them to be friends. I understand that friendship is often difficult, and has its inevitable trials and tribulations, but I don't want them to be manipulative, or 'toxic', or friends out of habit. I want them to actually like each other. That's one of the show's biggest draws, I think; the idea that people who are completely and utterly different can get along and learn to love each other (as sappy and clichéd as that sounds). I thought that the show - when it does do that - does it well, and in an unconventional way that doesn't preach to the audience.

I'm sick of hearing about how the 3 season sucks. 4 episodes (or 2 or 3, which is when some people were complaining) isn't enough to judge. The last one was, in particular, fantastic, and I quite enjoyed the two Chang episodes as well. One thing to consider is that episode 4 was originally intended to be episode 3, and vice-versa, which Dan mentioned on his blog. If you thought two Chang-dominated episodes consecutively was a bit much, that was an unintended side-effect of the 4th episode running overtime whilst shooting.

Edited:

Also I think even despite its downfalls, it's still one of the best shows I've ever seen, and it's still streets ahead of many shows on TV right now in terms of quality writing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Gar
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    453 Posts
    Huh, I didn't know that episode three and four were switched...I wonder why, did anyone say?

Season three does not suck, at least, not at it's whole. I was trying hard not to say it did, or even the episodes in season two where it went downhill for me because it clearly doesn't suck. They felt different or odd to me, but clearly plenty of people still thought they were pretty funny so that's as far as I went.

However, I can disagree to an extent about judging the show this early in it's season. I agree that it's wrong to judge the whole season by the first four episodes, that's not great. However, and this goes especially for brand new shows, the first episodes of a series/season are very important because a lot of viewers will inevitably judge the rest of the show based on them, and Dan Harmon and the rest of the writers know this. However, because this isn't a brand new show, it's arguable that these first episodes aren't as good as what's going to come later...but then on the other end of the argument, wherever the show is heading now, most people could be taking these first episodes as a hint as to how the show is going to be from now on.

I'm hoping Chang's subplot will get better now that he's in total control, as the awkwardness from his stories that I felt probably came from him not having anything to do. The show has been great most of the time, so I'm not about to stop watching now. When the show first started there were a few rough episodes where they were still trying to find their groove. The writer's have so far been good about continuity and creating characters that evolve over time so perhaps they've merely moved out of their comfort zone in order to find a new one. I have no quarrels with that, I just hope they find it soon.

Thanks for all of your posts, they were very insightful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,914 Posts
    I'm not saying it sucked, just that it hasn't been as good as it once was.

I used to love how community didn't take itself seriously at all or get preachy about anything, but now it does that with every episode.

also I'm talking about the last ~10 episodes of season 2 as well as the first 4 of season 3.

And of course I'm going to be critical of shows I like. There's no point in watching a show and trying to convince yourself that everything it does is perfect.
    Am I not allowed to be critical of my favorite shows?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    I'm not saying it sucked, just that it hasn't been as good as it once was.

I used to love how community didn't take itself seriously at all or get preachy about anything, but now it does that with every episode.

also I'm talking about the last ~10 episodes of season 2 as well as the first 4 of season 3.

And of course I'm going to be critical of shows I like. There's no point in watching a show and trying to convince yourself that everything it does is perfect.
    Am I not allowed to be critical of my favorite shows?
    You seem to be taking my post way too personally. I'm not attacking you; if you'll note, I explicitly said that you had valid points. I am a very critical person, and I too made criticisms of it, because I understand that often when you criticize something, it's to try to improve it. I was talking more generally - I've heard a lot of shit recently about the show over the internet, and it was a general observation, just sparked off by yours (and Gar's) post(s). In fact, I actually said that I wasn't talking about you two when I said that people are complaining for the sake of complaining.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Gar
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    453 Posts
    Hey, it's cool. We're all friends here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    Huh, I didn't know that episode three and four were switched...I wonder why, did anyone say?
    Because Remedial Chaos Theory was taking too long to shoot and edit, Dan told them to rush through editing of Competitive Ecology without realizing that it might be too much Chang for viewers. There are a bunch of little inconsistencies due to the switched order that viewers noted. He wrote about it on his blog, here.

Season three does not suck, at least, not at it's whole. I was trying hard not to say it did, or even the episodes in season two where it went downhill for me because it clearly doesn't suck. They felt different or odd to me, but clearly plenty of people still thought they were pretty funny so that's as far as I went.
    Hmm, maybe I was not specific enough. I was not criticizing either of you for your posts, which I think are valid. I was posting RE: the trend of Community-bashing I've seen lately by fans. Sorry if I gave the impression of the former, rather than the latter.

However, I can disagree to an extent about judging the show this early in it's season. I agree that it's wrong to judge the whole season by the first four episodes, that's not great. However, and this goes especially for brand new shows, the first episodes of a series/season are very important because a lot of viewers will inevitably judge the rest of the show based on them, and Dan Harmon and the rest of the writers know this. However, because this isn't a brand new show, it's arguable that these first episodes aren't as good as what's going to come later...but then on the other end of the argument, wherever the show is heading now, most people could be taking these first episodes as a hint as to how the show is going to be from now on.
    I hear you.

I'm hoping Chang's subplot will get better now that he's in total control, as the awkwardness from his stories that I felt probably came from him not having anything to do.
    I think it was partially because he was fucking nuts in the first season, but now he's kind of just pathetic. It is awkward and kind of sad to watch him. Before you laughed because he made you laugh, now you're just laughing because he's such an embarrassment. I love his character, though, and think you're right - it should be looking up. Ken's a fantastic actor, too.

The show has been great most of the time, so I'm not about to stop watching now. When the show first started there were a few rough episodes where they were still trying to find their groove. The writer's have so far been good about continuity and creating characters that evolve over time so perhaps they've merely moved out of their comfort zone in order to find a new one. I have no quarrels with that, I just hope they find it soon.
    Truth.

Thanks for all of your posts, they were very insightful.
    <3 Thanks!

14. Post #174
    February 2011
    312 Posts
    no I agree, the show went downhill since the first half of season 2 (besides the paintball episodes)
    it has started to focus on the friendships in the group which honestly aren't that funny or well developed, and it's been relying on recurring jokes like most of what chang does.
    It's the same thing My Name Is Earl did; It started to teach lessons in the show which I don't care much for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts

So... who's looking forward to next episode?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,741 Posts
    I am, I eagerly await to see whatever cute costume Britta is wearing. The halloween episodes have always been great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

17. Post #177
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    18,017 Posts
    Has someone claimed this avatar yet? If not, does anyone mind if I use it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

18. Post #178
    Sometimes I put my nose in my dog's butt and I furiously squeeze his belly until he farts.
    May 2009
    2,379 Posts
    Episode was awesome.    I thought from the start that Abed was sane. Oddly enough, it's the one that has the most influence from TV and movies. I guess they're playing off of the whole "it's not TV and Movies that make you insane" sort of thing.   

I think 304 was better, but this was still a great episode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,760 Posts
    then we can be animated community avatar bros!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #180
    Sometimes I put my nose in my dog's butt and I furiously squeeze his belly until he farts.
    May 2009
    2,379 Posts
    I changed mine to it a while ago, but it never changed for me. It's all yours, I guess.

E: Hnng, that automerge.

E2: Deleted my cookies and it's here now. Sorry, man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,760 Posts

So... who's looking forward to next episode?
    oh shit is Troy O-dog/the parody of O-dog from don't be a menace?

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    18,017 Posts
    I changed mine to it a while ago, but it never changed for me. It's all yours, I guess.

E: Hnng, that automerge.

E2: Deleted my cookies and it's here now. Sorry, man.
    It changed for you bro, check your page and clean your cache.

I will search for another avatar of Jeff.

I can't make one myself so I might have to come back later and request it here.   

Edited:

Bad reading on my part.

Edited:

And no problem, it's cool.

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,760 Posts
    It changed for you bro, check your page and clean your cache.

I will search for another avatar of Jeff.

I can't make one myself so I might have to come back later and request it here.   
    you could always make an avatar of Jeff Goldbluming, or if you can track it down his version of the forest whitaker eye

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    18,017 Posts
    you could always make an avatar of Jeff Goldbluming, or if you can track it down his version of the forest whitaker eye
    I will keep this one until I find a better one.

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,760 Posts
    I will keep this one until I find a better one.

that is pretty good

edit:

I honestly can't think of that many gif-able jeff moments, most of his scenes are played very deadpan, which is his area of humor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    18,017 Posts
    that is pretty good
    And something to go with the evil Abed and Jeff avatars if anyone wants it.

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,760 Posts
    And something to go with the evil Abed and Jeff avatars if anyone wants it.

I would take it, but I love Forest Whitaker eye too much so I'll let someone else use that

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    18,017 Posts
    I made these because I couldn't sleep.

Should I use one of these? If yes, which one?

Or should I keep the one I have now?

29. Post #189
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,844 Posts
    None of them are very good

Edited:

That was pretty funny! I loved britta in this one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    This is amazing.

Edited:

Really liked the episode today; a bit quiet for a Halloween episode, but that makes sense after last year's bombastic one.    I loved how their stories made fun of each of them equally. I loved Abed's story the most. And I loved the reveal of the papers at the end.   

Edited:

Should I use one of these? If yes, which one?
    Yes. This one. I thought Jeff with purple hair was fantastic.

Edited:

Oh, I quite like this one, too.

31. Post #191
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,063 Posts
    Just finished watching season one.

I love the parts with Abed and Troy.

32. Post #192
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,933 Posts
    watched the latest one
    i just
    i dont care about the show anymore
    it's run its course for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    I found the last one funny but at the same time extremely underwhelming
    It didn't feel like what I've come to expect from Community Halloween specials
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    watched the latest one
    i just
    i dont care about the show anymore
    it's run its course for me
    Is this like how you say in the Dexter thread that you're going to stop watching, like every two days?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #195
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,563 Posts

holy cleavage, batman
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    I found the last one funny but at the same time extremely underwhelming
    It didn't feel like what I've come to expect from Community Halloween specials
    I'm sure they'll have a bigger one next year. They've only had two previous Halloween episodes, so it's not like it's some grand tradition. I think they were trying to opt for something a little different this time, maybe for people who didn't necessarily like the last one (I'll put my hand up and say I'm one of them - the zombie ep was funny, like all episodes, but not super interesting or original, I thought).

37. Post #197
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,914 Posts
    I thought this was better than the last few
    It was a nice surprise

except the very very ending
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    7,152 Posts
    Favorite story was Troy's one.
       Pierce: Ha! You guys gave me boobs I could touch all day!
    AbedTroy: With what?
    * looks at hands that are now feet * 

And Shirley's story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Brazil Show Events

39. Post #199
    May 2008
    601 Posts
    Really liked Pierce in this episode. "You don't want to be barium sulfated!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,167 Posts
    Favorite story was Troy's one.
       Pierce: Ha! You guys gave me boobs I could touch all day!
    AbedTroy: With what?
    * looks at hands that are now feet * 

And Shirley's story.
    Really? They were my two least favourite.

I think it would have been funnier and a bit more surprising to have Shirley's be the most damning, epic, horrifically detailed one. And then if someone was like, "That's un-Christian," she could have been like lol have you read the Bible.

Although I thought the way she viewed everyone else in her one was hilarious.

One thing is, I wish they had shown off costumes more. I'm disappointed we only got to see the Dean, and Troy and Abed in theirs.

Edited:

Really liked Pierce in this episode. "You don't want to be barium sulfated!"
    Oh! All their weapons! Troy's pencils between his fingers! So cute.

I'm glad Pierce has become more likeable. By the time the Dungeons and Dragons episode came around, you were really starting to hate him.