1. Post #441
    IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOUR OPINION DOESNT MATTER! >:(
    November 2009
    1,795 Posts
    I could also do voice acting. I got some nice accents under my face. Also, nice pose, Blooper Reel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,458 Posts
    I think I already have a few ideas for audio log dialogue:

"Uh, just about an hour ago Johanson and a few of the other guys dug up this weird bust. I mean, I haven't had a good look at it, but for something that's been in a wall of rock it's clean as hell. The boss locked it up in his quarters and called some archaeologists over to check it out, they'll be coming in a few days. Anyways, I'm out."

---
    "Night shift was hell tonight. I swear I heard somebody yelling out in the distance of cavern eight, but when we went to check it out there wasn't anyone there. I'm sure that-

(Different Person) "Pete, stop yabbering, I'm trying to sleep here!"

"Sorry Dave! Gonna have to cut this out, night."

---
    "Bennet went mad today, he took a mining pick and ran off blabbering on about digging deeper into the heart of the world. When Kelly tried to restrain him, he lashed back, and now Kelly's mortally wounded and the ambulance is gonna take awhile. *Sigh* That's what you get when you set up a site miles from the nearest city. Bennet is still out there, nobody's brave enough to go look for him, maybe I'll round up some other guys and start a search party."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Arab Emirates Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #443
    February 2011
    858 Posts
    Apocalyptic logs are a shit exposition device. do not do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,458 Posts
    Nah, I don't want to do that kind of thing. I just want things to be more subtle than anything, these are just tests.

The intention is that events happen relating the audio log. For example, with the first one, you suddenly get the bust hallucination as if it was near you a few seconds after the dialogue finishes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Arab Emirates Show Events

5. Post #445
    April 2009
    161 Posts
    Audio logs, anyone else here is reminded of Bioshock? It would be a bit creepy having logs of the miners going insane/ becoming mutilated by the unknown. Then again, if the logs are very descriptive of whats out there, it may spoil the scares. Its best to give the illusion of a mysterious "thing" that is killing the miners.

Say, Breadman. Can you give us a small update? Are things going for the better or the worse?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    November 2009
    1,795 Posts
    I'm, in all honesty, really pumped for this map. But sometimes I feel like it's just going away. I realize his lack of time for mapping, but it'd be nice if he could come here a bit more often with some more news.

7. Post #447
    Dog
    What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a dick?
    March 2011
    3,769 Posts
    In KotORII, I noticed that most of the holologs are like
    "HEY, PERSON HERE, I AM JUST GOING TO TALK TO MYSELF KTHX"

Edited:

Also, great map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,458 Posts
    Audio logs, anyone else here is reminded of Bioshock? It would be a bit creepy having logs of the miners going insane/ becoming mutilated by the unknown. Then again, if the logs are very descriptive of whats out there, it may spoil the scares. Its best to give the illusion of a mysterious "thing" that is killing the miners.

Say, Breadman. Can you give us a small update? Are things going for the better or the worse?
    Actually, I think the best idea to incoporate audio logs without need for exsposition is like this: Add the audio log with it's plot element, and act out what happened next with events ingame instead of more audio logs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    I know you're all eager for an update, and I'm not going to pull a Valve and leave you with no information.

Currently I'm installing a battery/door puzzle thing. Find the battery, put it into the zapper and the door will open. Simple. It's small details like this that will define the map, something I don't claim to be very good at with mapping is detail, so I'd really like to try my best to improve upon that.

The skull system is still being implemented, its complex but I can make it work (Nothing comapares to the complexity of the lighting system I did for gm_rave) I think the map is adequatley lit, as I said before I want to encourage players to use their own lights (as well as their flashlights.)

One section of the map is going to be redesigned. It's so cpu intensive now because of what else is going on and I think I can pull something off better in the area it's located.

As for the events only a few more need implementing then Im moving onto sounds. Sounds were a massive part of GH1 and it's going to be a challenge finding some new ones for GH2. The scares are subtler but more dangerous than in the first, and you'l be using your imagination alot to try and figure out what happened to the miners exactly. The miners are still there - just dead. You'l probably end up seeing them poking their heads around corners and watching you alot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 5Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,458 Posts
    I know you're all eager for an update, and I'm not going to pull a Valve and leave you with no information.

Currently I'm installing a battery/door puzzle thing. Find the battery, put it into the zapper and the door will open. Simple. It's small details like this that will define the map, something I don't claim to be very good at with mapping is detail, so I'd really like to try my best to improve upon that.

The skull system is still being implemented, its complex but I can make it work (Nothing comapares to the complexity of the lighting system I did for gm_rave) I think the map is adequatley lit, as I said before I want to encourage players to use their own lights (as well as their flashlights.)

One section of the map is going to be redesigned. It's so cpu intensive now because of what else is going on and I think I can pull something off better in the area it's located.

As for the events only a few more need implementing then Im moving onto sounds. Sounds were a massive part of GH1 and it's going to be a challenge finding some new ones for GH2. The scares are subtler but more dangerous than in the first, and you'l be using your imagination alot to try and figure out what happened to the miners exactly. The miners are still there - just dead. You'l probably end up seeing them poking their heads around corners and watching you alot.
    Sounds interesting. I just want to ask though, what's your opinion on my ideas? Do they seem possible to be incoporated in with the rest of the stuff going on?

11. Post #451
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    Sounds interesting. I just want to ask though, what's your opinion on my ideas? Do they seem possible to be incoporated in with the rest of the stuff going on?
    Don't get me wrong you've got some solid ideas. The problem is audio logs have become so cliché in the games of today. I just don't think they'd compliment the map.

However, I have plans to implement some kind of mining radio that you'l be able to play with and that'l give you some spooky insight. I just need noises though, really creepy noises!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,458 Posts
    Don't get me wrong you've got some solid ideas. The problem is audio logs have become so cliché in the games of today. I just don't think they'd compliment the map.

However, I have plans to implement some kind of mining radio that you'l be able to play with and that'l give you some spooky insight. I just need noises though, really creepy noises!
    You could borrow some mod assets. Underhell and NH2 has some pretty good scary sounds you could use.

13. Post #453
    November 2009
    1,795 Posts
    Breadman, I think I sent you a PM with an offer, could you read it?

14. Post #454
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    Looking at how many problems I've encountered with garrysmod (And I've bumped into more today.) I will probably be releasing this with two "packs". One for Episode 2 for solo play and one for Garrys Mod for online play. Online play will lack a few things, some effects that I've used just don't show up in gmod. A few bugs here and there, the cameras are broken - a real nightmare. The potential is there for multiplayer sessions though and despite the lack of FX events still work.

So whats left. I've spent all day on the map today and we're getting there now. I need to finish a new/refined section, I've got plans for one or two more events and then I need to fill the map with creepy sounds. More testing and then finally, release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

15. Post #455
    August 2008
    1,047 Posts
    The miners are still there - just dead. You'l probably end up seeing them poking their heads around corners and watching you alot.
    Oh awesome. Imagine how creepy it'd be if that was actually implemented. I mean, a corpse head looking around a corner of dark corridor at a height that could only be achieved if it were standing, and then you investigate only to find a normal body lying on the floor or nothing at all. That would scare and thrill me. Especially if it was in a dark area, so it would be hard to see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #456
    April 2011
    1,043 Posts
    Breadman posted:
    The scares are subtler but more dangerous than in the first, and you'l be using your imagination alot to try and figure out what happened to the miners exactly.
    I love that. The ongoing suspense makes the scares more intense.
    How about changing map conditions, i.e. scripted cave-ins, or power outages? (Just a thought) Even something as simple as a ragdoll falling from a ledge would be awesome.

17. Post #457
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    Launched it from the synergy , worked nice, but there were some texture bugs.
    Events were extremely rare , unfortunately
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

18. Post #458
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    Launched it from the synergy , worked nice, but there were some texture bugs.
    Events were extremely rare , unfortunately
    Ah Synergy now theres an interesting prospect I never thought of that!

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    I was thinking , that random people with gmod tools and physguns could ruin the map , and my friend hosted the server.
    But some kind of scratches randomly appeared on the screen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

20. Post #460
    June 2007
    7 Posts
    Sorry to say this or is this even allowed here but what about the obsidian conflict mod? It really needs good maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    April 2009
    161 Posts
    I love that. The ongoing suspense makes the scares more intense.
    How about changing map conditions, i.e. scripted cave-ins, or power outages? (Just a thought) Even something as simple as a ragdoll falling from a ledge would be awesome.
    Power outages, Breadman used them in GH 1 (Lights flicking off randomly.) I am pretty sure they will be used this time again. With the cave-ins, Breadman could make use of the nice looking ant lion detectors. But instead of detecting ant lions, they detect whenever there's a cave in. Just place them around cave-in hot spots and light up red when there is a cave-in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,961 Posts
    Sorry to say this or is this even allowed here but what about the obsidian conflict mod? It really needs good maps.
    They would work the same way
    My friend just didn't want to play Obsidian Conflict ( which is WAY better then Synergy)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,779 Posts
    Power outages, Breadman used them in GH 1 (Lights flicking off randomly.) I am pretty sure they will be used this time again. With the cave-ins, Breadman could make use of the nice looking ant lion detectors. But instead of detecting ant lions, they detect whenever there's a cave in. Just place them around cave-in hot spots and light up red when there is a cave-in.
    Or sometimes when there isn't one, and the ghost is fucking with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #464
    April 2011
    1,043 Posts
    eatdembeanz posted:
    Or sometimes when there isn't one, and the ghost is fucking with you.
    It would be a whole lot scarier if the devices you trust to keep you alive are faulty.

25. Post #465
    August 2008
    1,047 Posts
    It would be a whole lot scarier if the devices you trust to keep you alive are faulty.
    Especially if, very rarely, they light up with a brighter, deeper red and do a lower pitch warped version of the alarm sound. It'd make it seem wrong and be creepy. Especially if whenever they did that, you knew serious crap was happening.
    Which sort of brings me to another idea. How about certain events or event styles for specific ghosts? Say you had one ghost that you wanted to make individual, maybe like a boss ghost that the player should be most freaked by, all events relating to that ghost would have some unique feature. Maybe a special sound or the fact that it always slows down time or sets something alight. It'd mean that whenever you saw that specific feature you KNEW that it's the worst ghost causing the event so you needed to run or something. That would make for some pretty scary moments and some hilarious multiplayer sessions.

26. Post #466
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    http://breadmanmaps.weebly.com/index.html

Small update. Working the crap out of this map atm. Feel like some sorta one man factory.

Chugga Chugga.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #467
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,454 Posts
    How about certain events or event styles for specific ghosts? Say you had one ghost that you wanted to make individual, maybe like a boss ghost that the player should be most freaked by, all events relating to that ghost would have some unique feature. Maybe a special sound or the fact that it always slows down time or sets something alight. It'd mean that whenever you saw that specific feature you KNEW that it's the worst ghost causing the event so you needed to run or something. That would make for some pretty scary moments and some hilarious multiplayer sessions.
    Sorta like the Tank in L4D. Except in this one you could see a small symbol or object appear nearby the player or they could hear a faint noise echo through the tunnels. Perhaps an echoey heartbeat sound which gets louder and louder until it feels like your ear is to whatever it is's very chest - then it just stops. Dead Silence. Then it attacks ferociously. The player has to escape the heartbeat sound until the beast disappears or they could be guaranteed death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #468
    August 2008
    1,047 Posts
    Sorta like the Tank in L4D. Except in this one you could see a small symbol or object appear nearby the player or they could hear a faint noise echo through the tunnels. Perhaps an echoey heartbeat sound which gets louder and louder until it feels like your ear is to whatever it is's very chest - then it just stops. Dead Silence. Then it attacks ferociously. The player has to escape the heartbeat sound until the beast disappears or they could be guaranteed death.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    Media today. Stay tuned hunters.

-update- Check webpage for a few more screenies. It's getting hard now to give media without spoiling much.

30. Post #470
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts
    What's that light in the tunnel, 3rd screenshot. A train?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

31. Post #471
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,903 Posts
    So are you still gonna do two separate releases in Ep2 and Gmod? What will be missing from the Gmod version? The lack of coop horror games/maps made playing Ghosthunt 1 with friends a ton of fun.

32. Post #472
    November 2009
    1,795 Posts
    [h2]2/3 weeks release date?[/h2]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #473
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts
    omg reaction image omg report to mods omfg

Edited:
    lol everyone takes it seriously
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

34. Post #474
    December 2009
    897 Posts
    its not the same playing Ghosthunt 1 using Ep2 :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #475
    August 2010
    744 Posts
    So I played gm_ghosthunt with B-hazard, I'm pretty sure we finished it because we didn't find any other place we hadn't discovered after we got to the morgue, did we miss something?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #476
    February 2010
    294 Posts
    So I played gm_ghosthunt with B-hazard, I'm pretty sure we finished it because we didn't find any other place we hadn't discovered after we got to the morgue, did we miss something?

How did you get ghosthunt to run correctly for multiplayer in just gmod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #477
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    Would just like to clarify some things.

Currently the things gmod has totally borked are:

-Some really neat First person effects from Ep2. These do not work in gmod.
    -Strange lighting anomolys that I'm trying to fix, this is a MASSIVE pain in the nether regions. (Works fine in ep2...)
    -Cameras are all zoomed in.
    -Erractic ghost detector behaviour this is actually alright though because it goes beyond what I can predict that thing can do. It can act like its actually possessed.
    -The skulls require you to use the physgun. Such a drawback, you can be walking around and suddenly you'l pick up a door or something - it just kills it abit.

Whats left:

-Need to do some serious multiplayer testing which I'm hoping to do this week. Thank you all for the kind offers but I've got a team. We're coo' G.
    -Sounds, need more sounds!
    -Various tweaks. Perhaps some more events depending on how multiplayer feels.
    -Gadgets.

Whats it like?

Fun. It's different and I'm rather anxious about this things release. Ghosthunt 1 was a raving success.

You've got two options, you can sit around with cameras and stuff go hunting and exploring trying to soak up all of the events, or if you'd like an experience with more direction you can figure out how to access the lower levels and find the skulls to place on the alters to get a tad more out of the experience. These skulls do certain things, one will make players go blind every so often, one enables some more violent in your face events and the other one turns off ALL lighting in the map. These effects can be reversed by destroying the alters - once they are gone however they are gone.

Ghosthunt 2 only just started haunting me like GH1 did the other day, and thats because I've now got all of the events working together randomized everything so far is 'enabled'. I've made myself jump a few times and yesterday I was crawling through one of the caves and I could hear a mining pick clunking - the sound was just perfect it had enough echo to sound far away - but present. It was chilling but fantastic. It's moments like that that made Ghosthunt 1 so exciting to craft.

The miners are present - but only a mere few. You'l find their remains though, all over the damn place. The narrative is pretty open ended; think GH1 but the evidence is actually there, if you want to see a backstory go take a walk around - the facility has alot to say about the events that transpired.

And on request (Many many many MAANNNY requests, holy balls.) The map 'is' tamed down. I go so many messages mainly on youtube about how there was perhaps too much going on in Ghosthunt 1 so I've tried my best to address that. Having said that, theres still quite a few scares =D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    If you don't want the physics gun picking certain stuff up, then it is easily sorted. Go into the keyvalues of whatever you want to not be effected, use smartedit to put gmod_allowphysgun 0. This prevents the physics gun from working on it.

You can also use gmod_allowtools 0 to prevent stuff like the remover tool from affecting things.
    Hope I helped.

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    208 Posts
    If you don't want the physics gun picking certain stuff up, then it is easily sorted. Go into the keyvalues of whatever you want to not be effected, use smartedit to put gmod_allowphysgun 0. This prevents the physics gun from working on it.

You can also use gmod_allowtools 0 to prevent stuff like the remover tool from affecting things.
    Hope I helped.
    I actually love you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #480
    November 2009
    1,795 Posts
    Also, just a thing I noticed, on GH1, that lunch-room ghost that knocks shit up, if you do something like that again make it a trigger, I hate missing it in MP. It is too fucking great. Also, thanks for being the amazing mapper you are! :glomp: