1. Post #201
    July 2010
    201 Posts
    Good map, would be interesting to see it expanded and further developed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #202
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    does it really matter???

Edited:

seriously, if that comes up in the next ghosthunt map im gonna shit my pants for days!
    just one small problem, the detector noise is a bit loud, maybe use a less noisier sound like that beep on the first ghosthunt map

Well it is only at a concept stage. I just made a quik hallway and took 3 sounds at kinda random.
    ONe stalker and two sounds for the detector. I will develop this further tomorrow.

Due I only have spare time in weekends I stopped mapping. This new dynamic horror model
    made me map again :D. But due the limited time I got, progress will be slow.

Edited:

And I saw someone asking if we could try to use basic hl2 entities only. So these horror maps would be playable in every hl2 based mod or even in de default hl2.

Well I am suing default entities only. The weird combinations I use emmits light on the very unique things in hl2.

Due I am using AI as ghost my version would only work in HL2,ep1,ep2 or another hl2 mod wich has AI in it. (Gmod also has AI built in)

HL2 DM wouldn't cut it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    That's awesome. I would like to know how you did that.
    I guess a metrocop npc with alpha as 0. Is that right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,008 Posts
    I guess a metrocop npc with alpha as 0. Is that right?
    It's a metrocop with Render Mode set to Color and FX Amount set to 0. I want to know how he got the props to fly up now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    Physexplosions?

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    209 Posts
    Hi guys sorry for the radio silence.

I've been busy writing a dissertation and submitting ghosthunt as part of a module within an honors degree. Just want to thank you all once again for the awesome constructive comments.

I haven't really had much time on my hands to work on ghosthunt 2, but rest assured I'll get it done and provide you with some kind of media update once I've eliminated this dissertation.

In the meantime, I'd like to answer a few of your questions.

man this map is amazing best map ever in the whole of gmod.org i think

by the way i made a video with a freind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1kUTyYaA5k
    Nice Video!

You need to somehow incorporate this into a SourceMod, that way people who don't have Garry's Mod can enjoy this with other people. And people who DO have garry's mod can enjoy it with other people without the long loading times that people like...er...me, encounter.
    A sourcemod is next on the list. However I've worked on a ton of mods, and all of them fell apart due to people not being bothered to work on them anymore and such. If I'm going to form a team and take this further, I need a team I can trust.

I have had tons and tons of messages, on youtube, a few here, some even reached my mailbox and I'm still trying to figure out how - all asking me to join them and make a mod. It's really nice to have this support but I've seen it all before (I did some stuff back when HL2 came out, worked on a project for a while.)

It's all well and good having the inspiration to do something, but if that inspiration isnt going to last, what's going to motivate you to work?

The whole theme of this inspires me because It's what I do in my spare time, I capture EVP's, I've done a coupla IRL ghosthunts for people, I work very closely with spiritual communities ( Mediumship and such.) It was so nice to be able to take an old hobby (Mapping) and merge it with what I really enjoy doing. This map was only intended to be abit of fun you know, and I never ever thought it would recieve the attention it has!

I know how to make this more dynamic!!
    I made a new concept of horror. Actual ghosts..

This is a very quik concept I made, and its just to show the effect.

This is fantastic, and something I have already experimented with. I had some problems implementing it, but I'm looking to get it sorted for V2. I'm glad somebody thought of the same thing!

It's a metrocop with Render Mode set to Color and FX Amount set to 0. I want to know how he got the props to fly up now.
    Env_Physexplosion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,904 Posts
    Alright, just played this with my friend at midnight. It was fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #208
    March 2009
    2 Posts
    Looks very good, Only blocky.
    48 random events? Wow.
    I'm sure it will be very fun to play online.
    Coop ghost hunting.
    Too bad it's so laggy on multiplayer =(

9. Post #209
    July 2009
    638 Posts
    Too bad it's so laggy on multiplayer =(
    i didnt find it that laggy on some servers, probaly the server contains other things on there.
    Btw hows the v2 going?
    for some reason when i start garrysmod this is the 1st map i choose to go on

10. Post #210
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    26,141 Posts
    Just played this again on Multi with some friends. Suprisingly, none of us had lag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

11. Post #211
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Yeah, I got a server running here. It is offline when I'm not there though.
    I kinda close almost all windows services I don't need through a hacky way.

My server hasn;t got much CPU power, so I have to user every thing it has for gmod.
    but my cpu only uses like 13% of its max when closed everything and running this map.

NO lag :D.

Its mostly the cpu wich gets overloaded when there are too much props moving. So either freeze them all or close all useless services (btw some processes could also be stopped.)

Edited:

And yeah, lag is actually the latency the clients have. When the cpu is used 100% it is most likely everything has to wait for the cpu to complete each frame. So frames might be dropped due the cpu isnt fast enough to calculate the props physics, in this case the others have lag due insufficiŽnt cpu power and not because a bandwidth problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,008 Posts
    What is the ghostbox supposed to do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,751 Posts
    I want to play this map with my friends so bad, but none can make servers D:

14. Post #214
    February 2007
    1 Posts
    Anyone want to host this map? I'll gladly play it with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    209 Posts
    What is the ghostbox supposed to do?
    http://www.angelsghosts.com/ghost_box

The ghostbox can be picked up and taken around, much like the detector. There are certain hot-spots in the map that will trigger the ghostbox. It'l play an EVP when you find one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

16. Post #216
    November 2010
    1,436 Posts

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,904 Posts
    I must play more maps like this. :(

18. Post #218
    December 2009
    897 Posts
    i was thinking for a map like the doom 3 hell level that would be freaking disturbing and amazing map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    Well I think it will become a new popular "thing". Currently breadman will make a ghosthunt 2, axe may also keep mapping and I have just startedon a map that currently looks like axe's ghost test with a little darker, greenish lightning.

20. Post #220
    August 2010
    42 Posts
    any news on Ghost hunt 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    209 Posts
    any news on Ghost hunt 2
    Well right now not much is going on, its just sitting on my Hard-drive.

I'm working my way through some end of year work for this honors degree and im swamped as you can imagine. I'll get working on it again when I get the chance. Dissertations are hard yo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    I have played a little on ghosthunt (1) and I was amazed on how easily 12-year olds (I guess by the voice they had through the microphone) get scared! I have seen lots of times people in the kitchen yelling to each other to turn off flashlights and other theories. The funniest was that the map used a random ghost detector so sometimes the other players stayed in the spawn room thinking it was a ghost there.

Anyway I am currently working on the map (failing with the "don't use ep1/ep2 content"-suggestion) and it is going forward, except that the ghost detector (I am working with axe's idea) may be out of my knowledge about hammer. I have tried to put triggers around it, but by some reason the "ghost" doesn't trigger it. Even with the "NPCs" flag set.

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    209 Posts
    I have played a little on ghosthunt (1) and I was amazed on how easily 12-year olds (I guess by the voice they had through the microphone) get scared! I have seen lots of times people in the kitchen yelling to each other to turn off flashlights and other theories. The funniest was that the map used a random ghost detector so sometimes the other players stayed in the spawn room thinking it was a ghost there.

Anyway I am currently working on the map (failing with the "don't use ep1/ep2 content"-suggestion) and it is going forward, except that the ghost detector (I am working with axe's idea) may be out of my knowledge about hammer. I have tried to put triggers around it, but by some reason the "ghost" doesn't trigger it. Even with the "NPCs" flag set.
    It all depends on the method you're using to trigger the detector. If you want the player to carry it past an NPC and have the detector go off, it should work provided you've parented the trigger to the detector (Not the detector to the trigger.)

Ghosthunt 1 works alittle differently. The prop itself is a detail prop with a physbox wrapped around it and parented. Then we have an amb_generic, env_sprite and a func_button tied to it and also parented to the physbox. When an event in the map occurs, the event itself (It took a long time going through each event and telling them to to this,) Sends a message to the button to fire. The button plays the sound and the sprite for a few seconds before the detector reverts back to normal.

My theory behind the device is that it makes the map feel alot more open, if you're made aware of things that are going on that are currently out of your reach.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #224
    August 2008
    1,049 Posts
    Oh wow, I just assumed the detector didn't actually detect anything, it was just random for extra creepiness. Now that I know it does, in fact, show when something is going on somewhere in the map, it adds a whole new level of awesomeness and creepiness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    Loves bratwurst, hates jews
    July 2008
    2,873 Posts
    I have the best idea ever.

Mannequins.

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    I have the best idea ever.

Mannequins.
    Well, I am currently on a mental hospital prison (existed back in the 1950s-60s now it is just mental hospitals... got the Idea from that they now are abandoned) theme so I basically can't fit that in to make the map more realistic (I don't want to make a crematorium in an asylum that looks like a prison).

27. Post #227
    November 2010
    1,436 Posts
    Still any news about ghosthunt 2? It has been well over a month since ghosthunts release, and I am curious about how progress is going.

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    209 Posts
    Currently I opened up hammer yesterday for an hour just toying with some ideas really. I think I'm going to start over, I've got my mind on so much right now you literally have no idea how busy I am with this degree.

In terms of the actual map I may re-locate. A haunted house seems awesome but its far too cramped and im finding it hard to implement the scary stuff. The ideaology behind ghosthunt one is that its this big place, you've got that background feeling of spaciness, with noises going on in the distance all adding up to these events.

29. Post #229
    November 2010
    1,436 Posts
    Currently I opened up hammer yesterday for an hour just toying with some ideas really. I think I'm going to start over, I've got my mind on so much right now you literally have no idea how busy I am with this degree.

In terms of the actual map I may re-locate. A haunted house seems awesome but its far too cramped and im finding it hard to implement the scary stuff. The ideaology behind ghosthunt one is that its this big place, you've got that background feeling of spaciness, with noises going on in the distance all adding up to these events.
    As for the location, may I suggest an abandoned military base?

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    209 Posts
    As for the location, may I suggest an abandoned military base?
    Not a bad idea at all. I will consider this.

31. Post #231
    October 2010
    12 Posts
    i have 2 ideas >,<

1.Abandoned Police Station?
    2.Abandoned Hospital?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

32. Post #232
    January 2010
    858 Posts
    A kindergarten.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #233
    August 2008
    1,049 Posts
    Maybe a large forest? Like I said before, I think a forest would be a great setting for a ghosthhunt style map.

34. Post #234
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    With fog, and dark shapes occasionally darting among the trees...:twisted:

And perhaps a few small and ruined cottages or shacks in there too, that would be cool.

35. Post #235
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts
    How about an abandoned mine with spooky shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

36. Post #236
    November 2010
    1,436 Posts
    A kindergarten.
    I lol'd

Maybe a large forest? Like I said before, I think a forest would be a great setting for a ghosthhunt style map.
    The classic haunting is in a building, I don't think a forest will do.

It would not be ghosthunt then, it would be "Monsterhunt" or something, hey, NEW GAMEMODE IDEA!

i have 2 ideas >,<

1.Abandoned Police Station?
    2.Abandoned Hospital?
    1. Police stations are not HUGE. If you are thinking a prison then an asylum is like one.
    2. Been done already, it's called Nightmare House 2. (Also an asylum is a hospital-like thing)

37. Post #237
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    Abandoned shopping mall! You can use the mannequin idea!

I just watched some vids of nightmarehouse 2 and I wounder, do you have to have a special script for them to follow you (with "ninja cat that comes closer while not watching"-AI)?

Edited:

How about giving these maps a gamemode name or a map prefix like PA_ (Paranormal Activity) or GH (Ghost Hunt).

38. Post #238
    July 2009
    638 Posts
    maybe make whatever the new map have the music/sounds go all quiet then play footsteps echoing in the distance, everyone gets a bit scared from echoing footsteps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_6GlZkVy4

39. Post #239
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,776 Posts
    LOL Thanks for the tip!

40. Post #240
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    209 Posts
    It's christmas week. Thats enough for me to say that I'm on 'holiday' from all my uni stuff as it were. So ghosthunt 2 is now in production.

I hope you all like dangerous abanonded mines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)