3,807 Posts
    Will this shit run postal (2)? It's my school laptop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,458 Posts
    It will probably run like shit at the best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,477 Posts
    Does it improve overall computer performance and gaming performance when you install service packs? I am gonna be stuck with Vista for a few weeks, if you can give me a few suggestions on how to improve this mediocre pc.

4. Post #444
    A service pack shouldn't affect performance at all. After all, it's mostly bugfixes and updating IE. You might lose a bit of performance if it uses more RAM; you might gain a bit of performance if it's more efficient. Either way, it won't be enough to actually notice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #445
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,477 Posts
    Okay, noted.

If my computer says it needs 105 important updates, do you think they are gonna make a difference? Just a thought :laugh:

Edited:

Lie, it's not a thought, that's what it says.

6. Post #446
    Not really - most of those are just fixing bugs (mainly in IE and ActiveX) or antimalware updates.

Let me guess - you recently reinstalled Vista? Just apply all the updates. I did that, couldn't notice a performance difference either way. Updated is just safer. Only one you could pass on is IE8, because it's a bit larger than IE7, and if you don't use either, there's no point.

7. Post #447
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,966 Posts
    Is it worth to pay 100 euros more for a
    SAPPHIRE HD5870 1GB GDDR5

than for a HD5830
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

8. Post #448
    May 2010
    3,450 Posts
    The 5830 is a terrible card.

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    I got a old computer from a friend (whom I'd helped build a new computer). It's not very old, but not very fast either. Suggestions on what I can do with it?

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 1.8GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800
    RAM: 1GB DDR2
    HDD: 250GB
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events

10. Post #450
    Flubascrub
    August 2009
    10,530 Posts
    What exactly is Windows 7 Home Premium OEM? Is it EXACTLY the same as normal windows 7 home premium, but without microsoft support and is alot cheaper?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Qatar Show Events

11. Post #451
    January 2009
    436 Posts
    It's pretty much the same as retail, except you are only technically supposed to install it on one computer. I don't know how strict they are on enforcing that, though.

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,274 Posts
    I got a old computer from a friend (whom I'd helped build a new computer). It's not very old, but not very fast either. Suggestions on what I can do with it?

Specs:
    Format it and it will be much faster!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

13. Post #453
    May 2010
    3,450 Posts
    It's pretty much the same as retail, except you are only technically supposed to install it on one computer. I don't know how strict they are on enforcing that, though.
    You can only install it on ONE computer. No more.

14. Post #454

Specs:
    If you're asking about upgrades, add more RAM and it'll be good enough for medium-end gaming. Should be dirt-cheap too.

If you're asking about what to use it for, you could use it as a test machine for different OSes you want to try. I have an antique machine around I use specifically for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,826 Posts
    No, most of the dumps were errors in your kernel, I didn't see any that would be caused by faulty hardware.

I did see a few about for example your graphics driver not recovering from a reset, so your graphics drivers should be first up for an update.
    Alright, i reinstalled chipset, ethernet, and updated to 10.10 drivers on my 4670. Anything else i should do?

16. Post #456
    September 2008
    872 Posts
    I have this nas server but I would like to be able to host some stuff on it and have friends access files from it. what would I do?

17. Post #457
    fuck you
    February 2009
    2,880 Posts
    what the flippity fuc is that one website that gives you an all-in-one installer for a bunch of common programs?

18. Post #458
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,050 Posts
    I might be upgrading to a new PC (yes, custom specs, will not be prebuilt) sometime soon, and these are the specs I've picked out:

MOTHERBOARD : BIOSTAR A770E3 ($60)
    GPU : Radeon HD 5770 - ($135)
    CPU : AMD Phenom II x4 (quad core) 940 ($100)
    RAM : Corsair "XMS3" - 2Gb DDR3 (2x1Gb) ------- ($40)
    HARD DRIVE : Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 - 530 Gb ($50)
    PSU : APEVIA AS520W - BK (520W) ($60)

Are there any compatibility issues with these parts (i.e. this card won't fit on that motherboard etc.) that I may have missed?

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,458 Posts
    I might be upgrading to a new PC (yes, custom specs, will not be prebuilt) sometime soon, and these are the specs I've picked out:

MOTHERBOARD : BIOSTAR A770E3 ($60)
    GPU : Radeon HD 5770 - ($135)
    CPU : AMD Phenom II x4 (quad core) 940 ($100)
    RAM : Corsair "XMS3" - 2Gb DDR3 (2x1Gb) ------- ($40)
    HARD DRIVE : Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 - 530 Gb ($50)
    PSU : APEVIA AS520W - BK (520W) ($60)

Are there any compatibility issues with these parts (i.e. this card won't fit on that motherboard etc.) that I may have missed?
    Don't get an Apevia, a Hitiachi "DeathStar" and stretch your budget a little so you can fit a GTX 460 and 4GB RAM in there.

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    what the flippity fuc is that one website that gives you an all-in-one installer for a bunch of common programs?
    http://ninite.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Don't get an Apevia, a Hitiachi "DeathStar" and stretch your budget a little so you can fit a GTX 460 and 4GB RAM in there.
    Some Apevia cases are fine, and enough with the old-ass "Deathstar" remarks. Only one line of DeskStars failed long long ago, and all current lines are fine

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,050 Posts
    You sure a 460 is good for this build? I've heard that ATI cards work better with AMD processors, and I don't want to change EVERYTHING else just so I can get a 460.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162058 - the 460

EDIT: just saw some benchmark tests, I think I'll go with the GTX 460. Is the one linked above any good? It's the same price as the 5770 was.

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Hey guys, How do I make my computer not think that it has a floppy drive?

I don't have a floppy drive, and one has NEVER been connected to my computer. It has been like this for awhile. Is there a program to get rid of it?

24. Post #464
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,941 Posts
    Right click > Properties > Hardware > Floppy disk drive > Properties > Driver > Disable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    If you're asking about upgrades, add more RAM and it'll be good enough for medium-end gaming. Should be dirt-cheap too.

If you're asking about what to use it for, you could use it as a test machine for different OSes you want to try. I have an antique machine around I use specifically for that.
    I already have my own computer for gaming. I don't really experiment much with stuff, so using it as a test machine is pointless since I do just about everything on my own PC. I was thinking of turning it into a seedbox/file server, but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

I installed debian and am completely lost. Halp?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events

26. Post #466
    Is there such thing as a virus that can jump from partition to partition? Or one that can avoid a complete format and come back? Or one that can upload itself to a remote location and download back to your computer even after deleting it with an Antivirus?

Or make your computer randomly bluescreen, reboot, and not load the OS saying "Operating System Not Found"?

Reason I ask is because I think my brother is spouting bullshit about something...

27. Post #467
    Well, a virus that inserts itself into your BIOS is rare, but it is possible. Cleaning it out is simple though, just flash your BIOS with the current version. Most BIOSes let you flash to the existing version.

28. Post #468
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    school laptop
    postal 2
    Because that sounds like a good idea...

Edited:

Is there such thing as a virus that can jump from partition to partition? Or one that can avoid a complete format and come back? Or one that can upload itself to a remote location and download back to your computer even after deleting it with an Antivirus?

Or make your computer randomly bluescreen, reboot, and not load the OS saying "Operating System Not Found"?

Reason I ask is because I think my brother is spouting bullshit about something...
    Yes, it's possible. And about as likely as finding hen's teeth on a blue moon whilst flying on a squadron of pigs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,195 Posts
    My computer seems to hang on the BIOS splash screen when I start it up, then when I press the reset button it reboots and works fine at normal speed. How can I fix this? It's an abit quadGT IX38.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #470
    July 2010
    4,096 Posts
    this is better than my desktop :|

31. Post #471
    April 2008
    1,242 Posts
    I was just given a 300W UPS, can I use my desktop which draws greater then 300W on it. My desktop has a 500w PSU and draws 400W under load at the wall.

The UPS is rated at 500VA. The model is an APC Back-UPS CS 500.

32. Post #472
    March 2010
    1,000 Posts
    Is this a reliable external HDD?

I really need something to back up my shit to so I can reformat my laptop, which is long overdue for a reformat. I want to get it at Black Friday since it's only $50. seems to have mixed reviews but facepunch is all-knowing about this kind of crap.

33. Post #473
    It's Seagate.

Go for it bro.

34. Post #474
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    926 Posts
    I was just given a 300W UPS, can I use my desktop which draws greater then 300W on it. My desktop has a 500w PSU and draws 400W under load at the wall.

The UPS is rated at 500VA. The model is an APC Back-UPS CS 500.
    I do believe that you can, it's just that the time that you have to back your stuff is less than advertised if your computer uses more than the wattage of the UPS.

Either that or it won't work at all. You could try to unplug the UPS while your computer is running idle.

35. Post #475
    April 2008
    1,242 Posts
    I do believe that you can, it's just that the time that you have to back your stuff is less than advertised if your computer uses more than the wattage of the UPS.

Either that or it won't work at all. You could try to unplug the UPS while your computer is running idle.
    I idle below 300W so I think it will be fine. Its cool that I got a $100 UPS new in box from my uncle just because I am the family tech guy.

36. Post #476
    March 2010
    1,000 Posts
    It's Seagate.

Go for it bro.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to get it then.

37. Post #477
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    926 Posts
    My computer seems to hang on the BIOS splash screen when I start it up, then when I press the reset button it reboots and works fine at normal speed. How can I fix this? It's an abit quadGT IX38.
    Enable a setting in the BIOS that's called "quick boot" or something similar?

38. Post #478
    Flubascrub
    August 2009
    10,530 Posts
    I'm customizing my G53Jw laptop, and in the "Optical Drive" section it says:

- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti 8X DVDRW Drive w/ Software

That's the default. Will it read CD-ROMS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Qatar Show Events

39. Post #479
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    That's the default. Will it read CD-ROMS?
    yes

40. Post #480
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,713 Posts
    I saw this laptop, and it's seems amazing for the price. I am thinking about getting it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220821

Anyone have anything better for around the same price?