September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    You can thank Scout1.
    Oh it's him again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #203
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    If I had a dollar for every Momiji pic he's sent me over the past 2 days, I could buy MW2 and Black Ops.

I say these two games because I know even 10 years from now they'll still cost $60 each.

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,564 Posts
    Looking at a friends laptop for him. It is taking incredibly long to boot, and windows services seem to fail for some reason, one of them was 'supefetch'. I ran a SMART test on the HDD and it returned as 'warning' with 140 failed sectors. Should I order a new HDD and a fresh install?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #205
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    Yes.

Try to save anything you can. That hard drive's about to die. HARD.

6. Post #206
    February 2010
    5,893 Posts
    Looking at a friends laptop for him. It is taking incredibly long to boot, and windows services seem to fail for some reason, one of them was 'supefetch'. I ran a SMART test on the HDD and it returned as 'warning' with 140 failed sectors. Should I order a new HDD and a fresh install?
    I highly suggest replacing out the drive. For a cheap, temporary solution you can always use a HDD regeneration tool. I have a drive that completely failed (so many bad sectors), and it refused to boot/hung up BIOS/made Windows crawl. Regenerated it, still runs.. at night I can hear the arm jump out of place, and other metallic noises.

7. Post #207
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    If I had a dollar for every Momiji pic he's sent me over the past 2 days, I could buy MW2 and Black Ops.
    Yeah I regret telling him about her. He's fapping to Momiji x Aya 24/7 now, and expect me to join him.

Edited:

No doubt. That hard drive is prone to failure very soon

8. Post #208
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    Yeah I regret telling him about her. He's fapping to Momiji x Aya 24/7 now, and expect me to join him.

Edited:

No doubt. That hard drive is prone to failure very soon
    :ohdear:

9. Post #209
    Is there an explanation for why Firefox runs so fucking slow on my laptop?

* For about 2 minutes after starting, it runs at about half a frame per second.
    * For no discernible reason, it will start running slowly.

Right now, I'm encountering #2. In the time it took Firefox 3.6 to load a simple web page, I was able to boot up Firefox 2.0 in a remote X session on my craptop, load the same page, and go on to the next page.

There is really no reason for a "heavily improved" Firefox, running on vastly better hardware (Core 2 Duo, 4gb of RAM, GeForce 9600 versus an Athlon, 512mb RAM, GeForce 2), running on the local machine instead of over the network, should be slower. None.

And I'm not even doing anything "intensive", probably the most resource-hogging program open is WMP. I'm not even using half my RAM; it's a pretty recent install of Windows, so no viruses; the disk doesn't need to be defragged. I'm completely stumped as to why this is happening.

I forget if I asked a question yet, so: is this shit "normal"? If possible, how the fuck do I fix this?

10. Post #210
    Is there an explanation for why Firefox runs so fucking slow on my laptop?

* For about 2 minutes after starting, it runs at about half a frame per second.
    * For no discernible reason, it will start running slowly.

Right now, I'm encountering #2. In the time it took Firefox 3.6 to load a simple web page, I was able to boot up Firefox 2.0 in a remote X session on my craptop, load the same page, and go on to the next page.

There is really no reason for a "heavily improved" Firefox, running on vastly better hardware (Core 2 Duo, 4gb of RAM, GeForce 9600 versus an Athlon, 512mb RAM, GeForce 2), running on the local machine instead of over the network, should be slower. None.

And I'm not even doing anything "intensive", probably the most resource-hogging program open is WMP. I'm not even using half my RAM; it's a pretty recent install of Windows, so no viruses; the disk doesn't need to be defragged. I'm completely stumped as to why this is happening.

I forget if I asked a question yet, so: is this shit "normal"? If possible, how the fuck do I fix this?
    Last time something like that was happening, my laptop's HD was dying.
    How much of the CPU was being used while loading?
    Was the HD doing "intense" read/writing?

11. Post #211
    Last time something like that was happening, my laptop's HD was dying.
    How much of the CPU was being used while loading?
    Was the HD doing "intense" read/writing?
    Didn't check CPU usage, the HDD light was flickering at it's normal rate, not fully on like it is when I'm really using the drive.

I don't think the hard drive is the issue, but I'll go check for SMART errors just the same.

Update: Nope, SeaTools reports nothing wrong. I might run a long check overnight, but it passed the SMART check, and the short Self-Check.

Firefox is once again running at a normal speed. It's a transient issue, but it doesn't affect anything else, just FF.

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    Is using linux as an OS for a home theater PC a good idea? If so, which distro?

Edited:

please take note it only has 768MB DDR2 RAM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events

13. Post #213
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    Is using linux as an OS for a home theater PC a good idea? If so, which distro?

Edited:

please take note it only has 768MB DDR2 RAM
    http://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythtv

Never used it personally, due to not having a dedicated HTPC, but I've heard good things.

14. Post #214
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    2 quick questions no idea where to ask these properly:

-How is gold member status achieved?
    -I posted a thread about a month ago in web dev...how do I find it or is everything deleted after 3 pages?

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    http://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythtv

Never used it personally, due to not having a dedicated HTPC, but I've heard good things.
    It's not an actual OS.. more of an addon to an existing linux install. Need a very light weight OS w/ GUI, and can play media files.

2 quick questions no idea where to ask these properly:

-How is gold member status achieved?
    -I posted a thread about a month ago in web dev...how do I find it or is everything deleted after 3 pages?
    1. 2 years and 2,000 post count. You've fulfilled the former criteria, now start posting more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #216
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    Mind answering my second question? I've always been puzzled..is facepunch just purged every so often or what?

Edited:

oh and DSL linux is nice and tidy.

17. Post #217
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts

Normally, you'll use the search function, but since it is disabled, use google and search for "title of thread adamjon858 site:facepunch.com"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #218
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    Thanks SOOO much man. I found what I needed right away. For some reason I thought google didn't index facepunch so I hadn't tried that yet.

19. Post #219
    December 2009
    156 Posts
    I currently have an old 2003 dell that I'm using to play some old MAME games through a CRT TV, I have a VGA to AV converter that I use to connect the display to the CRT.

The problem now is that the speakers the Dell came with have failed, and I really don't feel like spending a lot of money on new speakers.

what kind of cable/converter would I need to get so that I can make the audio come out through the TV speakers as well?

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    I currently have an old 2003 dell that I'm using to play some old MAME games through a CRT TV, I have a VGA to AV converter that I use to connect the display to the CRT.

The problem now is that the speakers the Dell came with have failed, and I really don't feel like spending a lot of money on new speakers.

what kind of cable/converter would I need to get so that I can make the audio come out through the TV speakers as well?
    Do you have the model number of the TV and the computer?

21. Post #221
    December 2009
    156 Posts
    The computer is a Dell Dimension 8400, the sticker on the side is a bit faded but I think the model number is OU7670

The TV is a Panasonic and the model number is PV-C2541

I'm not sure why those are needed, surely there is some sort of universal cable for the conversion?

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    I have to check their technical specs. You need a 3.5mm stereo jack male to male cable. I'm sure you can pick it up at the local computer shop but here's the amazon link.

One end goes into the back of your computer (or front, I don't know) into the earphones socket and the other end goes into the TV's earphone socket.

23. Post #223
    Didn't check CPU usage, the HDD light was flickering at it's normal rate, not fully on like it is when I'm really using the drive.

I don't think the hard drive is the issue, but I'll go check for SMART errors just the same.

Update: Nope, SeaTools reports nothing wrong. I might run a long check overnight, but it passed the SMART check, and the short Self-Check.

Firefox is once again running at a normal speed. It's a transient issue, but it doesn't affect anything else, just FF.
    I see... I guess it's not the HD then, I was asking for the symptoms my laptop had before it ultimately ate itself. Yay for heads grinding into platters...
    Other then that, idk. Mine would get slow if I hadn't restarted it/cleared the cache after a while and/or a long YouTube session of watching things for hours. But I doubt that's your issue at all.

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    My thread isn't getting any traffic, anyone know what's wrong?

25. Post #225
    December 2009
    8,364 Posts
    1) What is svchost.exe when I look in the Resource Monitor for Windows 7?
    2) Why does my Windows Media Center program update almost every other day?

Edit:
    What the hell is wmpnetwk.exe? It is using almost half of my 4 GBs of memory!

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,672 Posts
    Hey I put my power switch connector on the two pin connection on my motherboard but for some reason I have to push the power button multiple times for it to turn on, like literally a whole minute or so.

It's not the case, because I have tried it with multiple cases.

27. Post #227
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    1) What is svchost.exe when I look in the Resource Monitor for Windows 7?
    2) Why does my Windows Media Center program update almost every other day?
    1. It's the program that is responsible for running the various services that keep Windows running. Yes, there's mean to be like 10 of them.

2. Well, just to make sure you have the latest updates. Everyone's updates daily.

Edited:

Hey I put my power switch connector on the two pin connection on my motherboard but for some reason I have to push the power button multiple times for it to turn on, like literally a whole minute or so.

It's not the case, because I have tried it with multiple cases.
    Could just be the route on the motherboard has a minuscule gap in it and only occasionally allows a complete circuit. Not really worth getting another motherboard (unless this one's in warranty, in that case RMA it).

28. Post #228
    December 2009
    8,364 Posts
    1. It's the program that is responsible for running the various services that keep Windows running. Yes, there's mean to be like 10 of them.

2. Well, just to make sure you have the latest updates. Everyone's updates daily.

Edited:

Could just be the route on the motherboard has a minuscule gap in it and only occasionally allows a complete circuit. Not really worth getting another motherboard (unless this one's in warranty, in that case RMA it).
    Thanks. By the way I have never seen you before. And can you answer my 3rd question? wmpnetwk.exe is using about 2 gigs of RAM. I looked online and I need some more help on fixing this. This is called a "leak" right?

Edited:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-in-windows-7/
    That's the guide I'm using. Is that ok?

29. Post #229
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    What in the fucking Christ?

Seriously, no amount of :wtc: emotes can encompass what I feel towards wmpnetwk.exe using 2 GB OF RAM!.

Might want to use Process Explorer to make sure that's the legit process instead of a masquerading virus.

If it is the real process, yes, that is what they call a leak.

If you aren't streaming media, then I do recommend following that guide and changing the startup type to manual. This way it won't always run, but it can start itself up if it's needed.

30. Post #230
    December 2009
    8,364 Posts
    What in the fucking Christ?

Seriously, no amount of :wtc: emotes can encompass what I feel towards wmpnetwk.exe using 2 GB OF RAM!.

Might want to use Process Explorer to make sure that's the legit process instead of a masquerading virus.

If it is the real process, yes, that is what they call a leak.

If you aren't streaming media, then I do recommend following that guide and changing the startup type to manual. This way it won't always run, but it can start itself up if it's needed.
    I changed it to manual, restarted PC, and put it back to "Automatic" (instead of "Automatic (delayed)". No leaks since I restarted two minutes ago.

Edited:

Damnit. It's back again. Should I leave it on manual?

31. Post #231
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,558 Posts
    Stupid question ahoy!
    Should I use Malwarebytes to replace my standard anti-virus, Avira, or is it supposed to be run alongside them?

32. Post #232
    Gold Member

February 2008
    5,015 Posts
    Question. For some reason my hard drive always has an average fragmentation of 25-30%. I don't get any serious problems from it, and it usually just stays there at that amount no matter how much time passes by, or how much activity there is. Whenever I do a defrag it usually defrags it until it reaches 1-2% fragmentation, then around 5-6 hours later, even if I'm not using it when it's switched on, it gets back up to the average 25-30%. I use Defraggler.

What could be causing this?

I first had my suspicion that maybe it might be related to having the hard drive located directly next to a spinning front case fan. I know that an electric motor fan uses magnets and produces magnetism, but surely it isn't that much to cause this much fragmentation in such a short period? Would it even do that?

Stupid question ahoy!
    Should I use Malwarebytes to replace my standard anti-virus, Avira, or is it supposed to be run alongside them?
    I'd recommend to take a look at Comodo. It uses HIPS and is also completely free.
    http://www.comodo.com/home/download/...d.php?prod=cis

33. Post #233
    Question. For some reason my hard drive always has an average fragmentation of 25-30%. I don't get any serious problems from it, and it usually just stays there at that amount no matter how much time passes by, or how much activity there is. Whenever I do a defrag it usually defrags it until it reaches 1-2% fragmentation, then around 5-6 hours later, even if I'm not using it when it's switched on, it gets back up to the average 25-30%. I use Defraggler.

I first had my suspicion that maybe it might be related to having the hard drive located directly next to a spinning front case fan. I know that an electric motor fan uses magnets and produces magnetism, but surely it isn't that much to cause this much fragmentation in such a short period? Would it even do that?

I'd recommend to take a look at Comodo. It's also completely free.
    It's definitely not the magnets. If that WERE to cause any problems, it would be corrupting files.

34. Post #234
    mrawr~
    November 2009
    3,632 Posts
    how do i turn on mi cumpyooter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

35. Post #235
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts

I'd recommend to take a look at Comodo. It uses HIPS and is also completely free.
    Probably System Restore files. They're usually extremely large and as such, are usually fragmented. Open defraggler and get it to sort files by size, then you can see the largest fragmented files.

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,807 Posts
    -derp-
    Look down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

37. Post #237
    October 2009
    2,286 Posts
    EVGA Precision says that the driver failed clock testing and no matter what I change, it says the same. something wrong here?

38. Post #238
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    don't use EVGA Precision for clock testing, use Furmark.

Edited:

I really don't think this needs a thread.

Looking for a monitor in the price 370 USD ( 2500 swedish kr.
    I now have a Samsung SyncMaster P2350 that i will use as a second monitor when i buy a new one.
    Any idea what i should take/look at? I want it to be 23" or bigger.

Edited:

I will use it for gaming.

Edited:

Most
    Samsung 2233RZ or Acer GD235HZbid.

39. Post #239
    thf
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    3,331 Posts
    I really don't think this needs a thread.

Looking for a monitor in the price 370 USD ( 2500 swedish kr.
    I now have a Samsung SyncMaster P2350 that i will use as a second monitor when i buy a new one.
    Any idea what i should take/look at? I want it to be 23" or bigger.

Edited:

I will use it for gaming.

Edited:

Most
    Why would you need a new monitor when you already have a pretty good one?

Edited:

Samsung 2233RZ
    I want it to be 23" or bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

40. Post #240
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,558 Posts
    That looks pretty good. Going to download it now.