1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,120 Posts

FireFall is an upcoming FPS/TPS Sci Fi MMORPG from Red5 Studios. Like League of Legends and Battlefield Heroes, it will be completely free to play (with a few microtransations for non-game changing things)

Backstory:
    Earth will never be the same. After the Crystite Wars, humanity inadvertently invited the worst enemy ever conceived: THE MELDING. It surrounds us. It forces us to live in pockets of land protected only by the accidental discovery of repulsor technology. We continue to fight for land. For technology. For power. For our very survival. JOIN THE FIGHT. FIREFALL is a team-based action shooter. Join your friends in an epic online campaign across a vast open world to stop the Melding and fight for the survival of humanity against the army of the Chosen. Advance your army and character through technological upgrades. Level up different character classes. Compete for supremacy in various multiplayer game types. Push back the Melding. SAVE EARTH
    Gameplay-
    FireFall is an open world shooter RPG with team based elements. It has a Borderland's-esque cartoony graphics style, and like Borderlands, has you go out with friends to fight off all kinds of alien nasties as you complete missions and find resources. The game has modular armor and weapons, allowing you to upgrade them with custom abilities and firemodes as you progress through the game. Your character can also find things like backpacks that they can attach to their armor to give them abilities such as an electric shockwave, a healing pulse, or even wings to glide with.

Videos -

Cinematic Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

Developer Commentary

Screenshots -

FireFall is set to release before the end of 2011, but will have a public beta open soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly x 42Winner x 16Dumb x 6Late x 4Informative x 2Artistic x 2Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Very Jelly Despicable Douchebag
    January 2007
    11,179 Posts
    Wait, you get to fight -massive- enemies with friends?

I'm sold. I'll buy it if I so have too which I apparently don't but you get my point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

3. Post #3
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,232 Posts
    Looks like borderlands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 107Informative x 3Disagree x 2Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,083 Posts
    Looks like a mashup of Serious Sam 2, Borderlands, Precursors and Mass Effect. Sold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 30Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    Already signed up for the beta, whenever that will happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,329 Posts
    Looks like borderlands.
    It's just the black outline around everything.

Free MMOs always have some catch and I'm guessing as usual, it's that you have to pay money to be able to play competitively.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    April 2010
    2,330 Posts
    Awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    It's just the black outline around everything.

Free MMOs always have some catch and I'm guessing as usual, it's that you have to pay money to be able to play competitively.
    FAQ posted:
    How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful x 3Optimistic x 2Friendly x 2Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2008
    801 Posts
    Oh wow, the gameplay trailer.. It looks so.. AMAZING?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,553 Posts
    Made by same people who made tribes.

Double sold.

But it sucks that the whole marketplace shit will be there. I hate that "premium item" bullshit.

Not saying I won't play it or that the game looks dumb. Just that the cosmetic stuff can get annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,220 Posts

Double sold.

But it sucks that the whole marketplace shit will be there. I hate that "premium item" bullshit.
    Devs already said that they wouldn't sell items that could imbalance the game, of course, that usually turns into "Hmmm... Let's sell items that anybody else can get, but make it so you can pay money to get them easier." from what I've seen of free MMOs featuring cash shops of this nature, most generally keep the promise though to not let players with money steamroll those without it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,120 Posts

Double sold.

How do you expect them to make any money without it.

I mean, seriously, you are getting a gorgeous looking, multiplayer, open world, sci fi shooter RPG for FREE...
    ...yet you complain that they have a marketplace that you don't have to use, to buy items that they say will not compromise the gameplay.

It's like complaining that retail games cost money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,192 Posts
    The premium items will probably only be cosmetic or you'll be able to get them in game easily. I hope they're just reskinned weapons or something like, oh I dunno, hats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #14
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,313 Posts
    Borderlands, meet Global Agenda.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    Devs already said that they wouldn't sell items that could imbalance the game, of course, that usually turns into "Hmmm... Let's sell items that anybody else can get, but make it so you can pay money to get them easier." from what I've seen of free MMOs featuring cash shops of this nature, most generally keep the promise though to not let players with money steamroll those without it.
    Kinda like TF2 hats, you can still craft them with time, but buying them for 17 bucks is easier if you are willing to fork out the cash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,022 Posts
    Looks like borderlands.
    herp derp cell shading it has to be borderlands clone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,220 Posts
    Kinda like TF2 hats, you can still craft them with time, but buying them for 17 bucks is easier if you are willing to fork out the cash.
    That's just my best guess, all they've said is that the items in the cash shop won't compromise gameplay (the obvious way that would occur is make them only attainable by purchasing them) however they haven't specifically said (or decided yet, probably) whether to make the items purely cosmetic, or to sell items as an alternate route to farming.

18. Post #18
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,750 Posts
    please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good pleeeaaaaaasssseee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2009
    6,525 Posts
    Borderlands without the RPG or uselessly customized guns (90 spread with 10x Scope)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,220 Posts
    Borderlands without the RPG or uselessly customized guns (90 spread with 10x Scope)
    Yeah, sure, maybe if borderlands was an open world mmofps with real vehicles and a customization system. The game just looks like Borderlands (kind of) the similarities stop there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,108 Posts
    How do you expect them to make any money without it.

I mean, seriously, you are getting a gorgeous looking, multiplayer, open world, sci fi shooter RPG for FREE...
    ...yet you complain that they have a marketplace that you don't have to use, to buy items that they say will not compromise the gameplay.

It's like complaining that retail games cost money.
    Agreed. The devs have to make money somehow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2009
    2,320 Posts
    Looks promising, just singed up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovakia Show Events

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,563 Posts
    I was quite pleasantly surprised when I saw the trailer. I've still got some questions about the payment system (or lack thereof).

24. Post #24
    September 2009
    6,525 Posts
    Yeah, sure, maybe if borderlands was an open world mmofps with real vehicles and a customization system. The game just looks like Borderlands (kind of) the similarities stop there.
    Yeah pretty much.

Nowadays Cell Shading is practically stylized by Borderlands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,563 Posts
    ^ Exactly

It's cel shaded and on some tropical / desert planet. That's the main reason why Borderlands comes to mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    The Devs also claim that its not a MMO, Its just a large open world FPS with aspects of MMOs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    I remember this game about few months ago, I think 'twas in E3. I registered to the beta back then. Good times. Fancy trailer they've made, pity so little new material in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,120 Posts
    Some of you guys are mistaking cel-shading for the shader that they use to create those thick black outlines. The two are completely different.

Cel-shading is a way to make sharply separated shadows, like in the Wind Waker or Modellista

While an outline shader simply adds a thick black outline to the edges of models, like in Prince of Persia, Borderlands, and this.

What fools most people is that most cel-shaded games or animations also have the outline shader (though, like in Wind Waker, it isn't a necessity)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 11Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Ricochet is awesome!
    May 2006
    1,687 Posts
    Ah, I was looking for this game again, though I could not remember the name. Thanks for posting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2010
    2,500 Posts
    borderlands online im pretty sure one of the coders for brolands jumped onto this company
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,566 Posts
    Unreal Tournament 3, Borderlands and Global Agenda?

32. Post #32
    September 2009
    6,525 Posts
    borderlands online im pretty sure one of the coders for brolands jumped onto this company
    "tl;dr Borderlands"

No, read about it and find out how wrong you are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    Free and MMO

What do they always say in the MMO section?
    Good
    Free
    MMO
    Pick two
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,120 Posts
    Brodylands?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    Fuck I hope it doesnt suck

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,663 Posts
    Looks interesting. Signed up for beta and will be following this, along with Tribes Universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,563 Posts
    Some of you guys are mistaking cel-shading for the shader that they use to create those thick black outlines. The two are completely different.

Cel-shading is a way to make sharply separated shadows, like in the Wind Waker or Modellista

While an outline shader simply adds a thick black outline to the edges of models, like in Prince of Persia, Borderlands, and this.

What fools most people is that most cel-shaded games or animations also have the outline shader (though, like in Wind Waker, it isn't a necessity)
    Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    I'd rather just pay for the game and maybe a small monthly fee, than have microtransactions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    375 Posts
    Looks pretty cool. If it's anything like Borderlands and has smooth controls, this could be awesome.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    Free and MMO

What do they always say in the MMO section?
    Good
    Free
    MMO
    Pick two
    Again its not a mmo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)