1. Post #601
    they should update it
    idk man, I would rather have a working Hammer with no multi-blend support than a broken Hammer with mutli-blend. knowing how Valve "updates" or "fixes" things...

2. Post #602
    <snup>
    this isn't the map pimpage thread

3. Post #603
    October 2007
    304 Posts
    Right, thanks for the information.

flow map
    Nice, you using houdini to generate that or some other method?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #604
    hai
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #605
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,038 Posts
    That's awesome, how did you make it? The texture itself I mean, not the normal/specular maps.

6. Post #606
    That's awesome, how did you make it? The texture itself I mean, not the normal/specular maps.
    made a high poly model, and a low poly (just a simple plane). Baked a normal and ambient occlusion map on the low poly model (using xNormal).

Then I started to paint the diffuse map in Photoshop etc.

that render is in Maya 2012

7. Post #607
    December 2009
    3,721 Posts
    If you are going to release that will it be a texture for brushes or a model?

8. Post #608
    If you are going to release that will it be a texture for brushes or a model?
    a texture (that's why my low-poly mesh is a simple plane), with diffuse, normal and probably specular (still need to do some research on how to make a good looking one).
    I don't think I will be releasing this alone, but with several other textures as a texture pack or something. (if you can't wait, or have texture ideas, feel free to contact me)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #609
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH

July 2009
    3,952 Posts
    a texture (that's why my low-poly mesh is a simple plane), with diffuse, normal and probably specular (still need to do some research on how to make a good looking one).
    I don't think I will be releasing this alone, but with several other textures as a texture pack or something. (if you can't wait, or have texture ideas, feel free to contact me)
    Making a large pack of shiny metals would be awesome, just simple colors though like red green blue, kind of what you have here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #610
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,640 Posts
    ... absolutely beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #611
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    Beautiful textures, they make me want to try and make some, but I'd need to learn how to I guess :P

12. Post #612
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,047 Posts
    Made some more textures

Trying to give them a realistic bumpmap

And them on a old map, sorry I've been on my laptop so not the best graphics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #613
    nice Hazrd, there's one thing on the 1st screenshot, you can see darkspots. it makes you texture looks too tilable, on small surfaces it will look awesome but on really large surfaces it won't
    you might wanna try to tone down those spots

14. Post #614
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,038 Posts
    Does anyone know how to make textures look realistic (you know, scratches and dirt and stuff) without making them look post-apocalyptic? I find it hard to find that middle ground.

15. Post #615
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,134 Posts
    Anyone know how to make it so that shining your flashlight directly on a texture with a bumpmap won't make all of that detail disappear?

16. Post #616
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    Does anyone know how to make textures look realistic (you know, scratches and dirt and stuff) without making them look post-apocalyptic? I find it hard to find that middle ground.

Try using $detail

Anyone know how to make it so that shining your flashlight directly on a texture with a bumpmap won't make all of that detail disappear?

That is kind of the point of the flashlight. You can make it darker if you want, or make a more detailed bumpmap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #617
    July 2010
    117 Posts
    I've been working on this road texture for too long:

You can paint on the cracks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #618
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,174 Posts
    I've been working on this road texture for too long:

You can paint on the cracks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #619
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,047 Posts
    Now since I'm on my main PC

Yay for custom textures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #620
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    Lovely and smooth. I need to do a bit more experimentation with the 3D to bump technique, so far all I've done is the floor in this.

Yay for custom textures
    The next step is to Briscoeify it and add detail sprites to every square inch.
    My apologies if you already have, I can make out very little in your screenshot because my college still uses bleedin' CRT monitors in these rooms...

21. Post #621
    September 2008
    1,257 Posts

Yay for custom textures
    Are the rocks displacements or actual models? Just curious.

22. Post #622
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    An idea I've had for a while:

I call it Paperface :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #623
    I saw someone else do something like that once. How's it done? Do you just have a paper bump map and scan in a simple drawing that tiles?

24. Post #624
    you need crayola-style shadows now :)

25. Post #625
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    I saw someone else do something like that once. How's it done? Do you just have a paper bump map and scan in a simple drawing that tiles?
    Exactly that, except in this case the base textures are made in Photoshop as opposed to IRL.

you need crayola-style shadows now :)
    Oh gosh, yes o.o

26. Post #626
    December 2009
    23 Posts

Hand painted wood texture I created, any feedback? Its a little messy =s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #627
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts

Hand painted wood texture I created, any feedback? Its a little messy =s
    Well, it looks like wood, but it doesn't really come off as planks very well. If that is what it is supposed to be.

28. Post #628
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,263 Posts
    Makes me think of XIII.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #629
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,081 Posts
    Makes me think of XIII.
    now someone throw cel shading in source and make a map

30. Post #630
    February 2011
    32 Posts
    I don't exactly know if this is the correct section but I need some help with my textures please.
    I, currently, have two custom textures on my map, which seem to work fine but depending on the situation it'll start spamming errors like:
    Code:
    CMaterial::PrecacheVars: error loading vmt file for /plasterwhiteaged
    CMaterial::DrawElements: No bound shader
    CMaterial::PrecacheVars: error loading vmt file for /plasterceiling
    CMaterial::DrawElements: No bound shader
    And making the game-play unbearably laggy (around 5-10fps).

So far I've only seen these errors come up if I turn HDR on, on my garry's mod video settings. (Yes, my map is HDR).

When those errors happen the textures go completely transparent, if anyone has any idea of why it's happening please let me know.

31. Post #631
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    Post the vmt

32. Post #632
    February 2011
    32 Posts
    Post the vmt
    PlasterCeiling.vmt:
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "PlasterCeilingTex"
    	"$bumpmap" "PlasterCeilingBump"
    	"$surfaceprop" "Concrete"
    }
    PlasterWhiteAged.vmt:
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "PlasterWhiteAgedTex"
    	"$bumpmap" "PlasterWhiteAgedBump"
    	"$surfaceprop" "Concrete"
    }

33. Post #633
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    And these are in "garrysmod/materials/" ?

I don't see anything wrong with them.

Try retyping everything manually incase you copy pasted or had it generated. I had this once when I did that.

Did you make sure to compile without changing the vmt?

34. Post #634
    February 2011
    32 Posts
    And these are in "garrysmod/materials/" ?

I don't see anything wrong with them.

Try retyping everything manually incase you copy pasted or had it generated. I had this once when I did that.

Did you make sure to compile without changing the vmt?
    I have the materials inside my "cstrike\materials\" because my Hammer loads CS: S, then I pack the textures that are custom into the map after it's been compiled. I see the textures fine except for what I've already mentioned happens with HDR on and some other things.

I did generate these vmt's but they seem perfectly fine imo.
    Thanks for trying to help btw.

35. Post #635
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    Well I think it had to do with the files getting corrupted. Does the same error happen in cstrike? It could be a garry's mod only problem.

36. Post #636
    February 2011
    32 Posts
    Well I think it had to do with the files getting corrupted. Does the same error happen in cstrike? It could be a garry's mod only problem.
    That's the thing though.. They work fine everytime I load the map from a fresh start, but say if I change any video settings (Most commonly just HDR), it'll start spewing errors as mentioned before, so I can't really believe it's corruption causing that.

C-Strike doesn't appear to have any issues but you have to remember that c-strike has the actual materials in its materials source folder, which I can't do to garry's mod since I also want this map to work for everyone without needing to also transfer textures.

37. Post #637
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    Try moving the material and models into a folder (and change the paths of the vmt and vtf stuff), and then packing them. I think your packing program may have a problem telling where the files are when it switches from ldr to hdr.

Edited:

Then in hammer you can load up the texture browser and press replace and change the first item to
    PlasterCeiling
    and change it to plaster/PlasterCeiling or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #638
    February 2011
    32 Posts
    Try moving the material and models into a folder (and change the paths of the vmt and vtf stuff), and then packing them. I think your packing program may have a problem telling where the files are when it switches from ldr to hdr.

Edited:

Then in hammer you can load up the texture browser and press replace and change the first item to
    PlasterCeiling
    and change it to plaster/PlasterCeiling or something
    OMFG it fucking worked. I could hug you. I'm going to, sorry. *HUG*

Thank you so very much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #639
    September 2010
    128 Posts
    Just wondering if anyone knows a tutorial on making glass textures for models?, The first model I have managed to get into source is some double glass doors but I'm not sure on how to create a realistic looking glass texture.

40. Post #640
    hmm there might be something on http://www.interlopers.net

If not I would say it's all about alpha channel (controls what and how much it should be transparent), and specular map.
    You might also wanna grab the GFSCape and get some of HL2's glass materials and reverse-engineer them.