1. Post #801
    November 2009
    51 Posts
    How do you guys make the textures so clear, high res and sharp? It isn't adding a detail map that will fix it, I've tried. But some of you are posting things using the Left 4 Dead version of the Source engine and the textures are AMAZINGLY sharp, whereas I'm making textures that are 512 x 512 or even 1024 x 1024 and they end up being really blurry and somewhat smoothed, if that makes sense.

2. Post #802
    How do you guys make the textures so clear, high res and sharp? It isn't adding a detail map that will fix it, I've tried. But some of you are posting things using the Left 4 Dead version of the Source engine and the textures are AMAZINGLY sharp, whereas I'm making textures that are 512 x 512 or even 1024 x 1024 and they end up being really blurry and somewhat smoothed, if that makes sense.
    Try the unsharp mask, and its also because you created it, your mind remembers making it and sees all the flaws, and you have a much clearer / accurate view/remembrance of the texture.

3. Post #803
    February 2011
    1,601 Posts
    I need a good blend texture between a sort of dark grey, mossy cracked rock and mossy grass, you guys got any goods?

4. Post #804

February 2012
    5 Posts
    Trying to make a good tile texture for a mall map, but I keep fucking up with it. Here is what I have so far:

Anyone know how to make a good tile texture?

5. Post #805
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Trying to make a good tile texture for a mall map, but I keep fucking up with it. Here is what I have so far:

Get rid of the reflections on the corners, otherwise it won't tile properly.
    What you can do is add some details, like render clouds then sharpen it. Use some brush strokes to make a scratchy surface maybe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #806

what Firegod said.
    plus you might wanna try applying a Noise filter then Gaussian Blur, depending on what effect you want/need.

7. Post #807
    September 2009
    644 Posts
    Creating an ambiant occlusion + a normal map out of a 3D Geometry is a really good way to make texture easily. You get something like this :

And then you just need to add colors :

(Floor texture)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Winner Winner x 11Mapping King Mapping King x 2Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #808
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    Creating an ambiant occlusion + a normal map out of a 3D Geometry is a really good way to make texture easily. You get something like this :

(Floor texture)
    Makes me wish I could model so damn much.

9. Post #809
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    I like that.... A lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #810

July 2011
    128 Posts

(Floor texture)
    Is the whole surface you modelled one continguous mesh, as viewed from above? Or are there parts of the mesh intersecting/overlaying each other?

11. Post #811
    September 2009
    644 Posts
    Is the whole surface you modelled one continguous mesh, as viewed from above? Or are there parts of the mesh intersecting/overlaying each other?
    Actually this was different layer of model on top of each others.

The wireframe is horrible and smoothed but hey, no limitations since it's a bake.

It grant you that kind of normal map :
    (There's some error there and there that I could have fixed but in a limited time it wasn't on my list of urgent things to do. Moreover Source Engine normal map are not that powerful so it's all good)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #812

July 2011
    128 Posts
    Oh right, I suspected as much.

What program are you modelling in? I ask because I've tried the same thing in Blender before, but always had problems with baking layered geometry like that.

13. Post #813
    September 2009
    644 Posts
    I use Maya.

14. Post #814

WIP Halo texture thing, photographed, photoshopped and compiled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #815
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    594 Posts
    Question, is there something I can add to the VMT of a texture to stop decals (such as bullet holes) from being applied?

16. Post #816
    I was displeased with the desert sand textures in Hammer so I made my own in this test map;

Custom particle effects added for good measure. Does it look too 2D? Should I spend some time removing the holes in the sand?

Man I wish I could use parallax occlusion maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12 (list)

17. Post #817
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,198 Posts
    I was displeased with the desert sand textures in Hammer so I made my own in this test map;

Custom particle effects added for good measure. Does it look too 2D? Should I spend some time removing the holes in the sand?

Looks great, tiles really well too. Only hole that seems to stand out is a really dark one that I can see multiple copies of.
    It does look like it could be tiling too much though. Maybe if you increased the scale of it in the actual map it'd look more natural (just a thought, might look terrible).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #818
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts

Texture looks hella nice, but it should be a little less orange. Unless that is just the lighting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #819

20. Post #820
    Probably the most arrogant mapper in the World
    June 2007
    1,730 Posts
    Yours is still a bit more orange than the original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #821
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    I copied colors from this;
    Pretty sure most desert pictures with overly orange sand are edited (simple saturation + brightness/contrast edit does the job) or taken at sunsets, it would look better if you gave it a more natural color

And then you could still achieve the the former look by having appropriate lighting or color correction in the map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #822
    Pretty sure most desert pictures with overly orange sand are edited (simple saturation + brightness/contrast edit does the job
    Nope, it just depends on the desert. There is no 'natural color' for the desert because they are all different colors. The Nafud Desert in Saudi Arabia for instance is famous for it's red sand.
    I know mine is too orange though, so I'll tone it down a bit and make it slightly more reddish.

23. Post #823
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    Nope, it just depends on the desert. There is no 'natural color' for the desert because they are all different colors. The Nafud Desert in Saudi Arabia for instance is famous for it's red sand.
    I know mine is too orange though, so I'll tone it down a bit and make it slightly more reddish.
    Hence the 'most'. A few deserts are famous for their orange sands, so it's not exactly the most common sand color. Anyway, your texture, I just wanted you to know what I thought looked best.

24. Post #824
    Absolutely, and I appreciate your feedback.
    Here's another texture. It's my closet, except it's a table texture now;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #825
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    Absolutely, and I appreciate your feedback.
    Here's another texture. It's my closet, except it's a table texture now;
    That looks great. How well does it tile?

26. Post #826
    That looks great. How well does it tile?
    Pretty alright, could still use a tad of work.
    Here's where it tiles in the image;

27. Post #827
    March 2010
    1,487 Posts
    Pretty alright, could still use a tad of work.
    Here's where it tiles in the image;
    -snip-
    Can't unsee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #828
    NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING
    March 2009
    3,257 Posts
    So I want to make a scratchy black graffiti, as in like someone wrote their name on a wall with paint but all scratchy and gritty. What would be a good way to do so?

29. Post #829
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    So I want to make a scratchy black graffiti, as in like someone wrote their name on a wall with paint but all scratchy and gritty. What would be a good way to do so?
    Get a scratchy font, put it over a transparent background in photoshop or GIMP, make it a decal and bingo.

30. Post #830
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'd get a wall-like surface and spraypaint what I wanted, photograph it and do the mish-mash after.
    It's a heavy method, but the extra realism you get from it is orgasmic.

31. Post #831
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'd get a wall-like surface and spraypaint what I wanted, photograph it and do the mish-mash after.
    It's a heavy method, but the extra realism you get from it is orgasmic.
    Who the fuck has a wall they can freely spraypaint lying around...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #832
    I have 30 metal plates, a stack of planks and a couple of large stone blocks for sidewalk-like paths behind my garage, as well as a sizable collection of bricks.

Hell, I'll spraypaint and photograph it free of charge if you want, on the surface of your choice.

33. Post #833
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,798 Posts
    Who the fuck has a wall they can freely spraypaint lying around...
    Cardboard boxes?

34. Post #834
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    Cardboard boxes?
    What if I want it to look like a wall instead of a cardboard box?

35. Post #835
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    Any way to make column_light001a_on look like it is actually on?

Because I hate how this looks:

36. Post #836
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,673 Posts
    A well-placed sprite and maybe even an env_glow?

37. Post #837
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    A well-placed sprite and maybe even an env_glow?
    That there will be, but I meant like this:

The glass part is completely illuminated at all times. I don't think it's a $selfillum seeing as how it doesn't give off any actual light, but rather doesn't seem affected by the light sources in the map.

38. Post #838
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    Any way to make column_light001a_on look like it is actually on?

Because I hate how this looks:
    You could open the texture file, raise the brightness on the light part, add a selfillum channel and selfillum to the .vmt?

The glass part is completely illuminated at all times. I don't think it's a $selfillum seeing as how it doesn't give off any actual light, but rather doesn't seem affected by the light sources in the map.
    As far as I know $selfillum doesn't give out light, it just makes it not affected by other lights, which is what you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #839
    NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING
    March 2009
    3,257 Posts
    Decals I tried making. Its for a super secret project. anyway, how can I make these decals look more gritty and well over all good looking?

40. Post #840
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    I know you're trying to make them look hand-drawn and stuff but they look too hand drawn IMO, I'd use a font like this: http://www.dafont.com/face-your-fears.font

Then you could lower the opacity in places and scratch it up a bit to make it look more realistic.