1. Post #361
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,881 Posts
    Metal elements typically retain other colors and reflect a bit more red. Anyway, that silver bar wouldn't always look red depending on the environment. Look at the other edges rather than the one facing you most in the video, they are much less red. It's also too easy to say that the bronze bar looks like chocolate because it's harder to make references of materials that are silver and gold colored to anything else other than the metals. I think every material was accurately portrayed.

Also, what do you think of this? This is $reflectivity being manipulated. It changes the default brightness of reflected light that is in the material file. No it doesn't increase compile times or bounce more light, it makes whatever IS bounced, brighter. I seem to have a liking for the higher reflectivity values. It's also nice that it's handled in three values so you could control the type of ambient light you would like. If you were making ice textures, you might want to have the blue value higher, or perhaps you are you making a mars texture pack, so you make the red value a bit higher, just so the red theme of mars is put more naturally into your lighting from the get-go.
    To be honest, in the GIF the 0.5 looks best. Sorry, I just had to criticize it, no idea why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

2. Post #362
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    I like .5 as well. I guess there could be some purpose in deliberately using very low values, like a stealth game perhaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #363
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,785 Posts
    I like .5 as well. I guess there could be some purpose in deliberately using very low values, like a stealth game perhaps.
    Light attracts the eye, so high values could mean a main path or a point of interest, while lower values could mean the opposite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #364
    While I think .5 looks good, the contrast looks wrong and I think default looks best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,881 Posts
    While I think .5 looks good, the contrast looks wrong and I think default looks best.
    It gives it a darker feel without making anything harder to see, I think it works perfectly. A lot of games nowadays are fullbright-brown-explosion boxes, they need more style to them.

6. Post #366
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    Every time I try and add a spec map, it comes out stupidly shiney.
    One VMT:-
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "MyTextures/tilefloor_01"
    	"$bumpmap" "MyTextures/tilefloor_01_n"
    	"$basealphaenvmapmask" "0"
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$surfaceprop" "Tile"
    }
    erm... help?

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts

Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$surfaceprop" "Tile"
    }
    erm... help?
    Add $envmapcontrast and mess with values between 0 and 1.

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,047 Posts

Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$surfaceprop" "Tile"
    }
    erm... help?
    I could be wrong, but I think you need to change $basealphaenvmask" to "1".

Also add "$envmaptint" "[1 1 1]" and fiddle with the values to adjust the specular.

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Also, you need to put the spec mask into the alpha channel of the bumpmap, it's the only way you can do it for some reason, and replace $basealphaenvmask 1 with $normalmapalphaenvmapmask 1 in the material file

10. Post #370
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    The envmapmask is in the alpha of the basetexture which I've since remade.
    I could never tell, is this how it's meant to look?

11. Post #371
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    It shouldn't look like that, the spec mask needs to be in the alpha channel of the bumpmap for it to work correctly. The Valve page says that it's a bug when using a texture with a bumpmap.

12. Post #372
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    Thank you Hostel! It finally works.

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    And that shit looks sexay. I could drink from those puddles. You still need to tone it down though, and increase the mask contrast so the puddles stick out more while the tiles won't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,566 Posts
    Isn't that dead chicken's texture?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,899 Posts
    made some door textures today, doesn't really fit the scene but I'll fix that later I guess?

Edited:

also, how do ssbumps work?

16. Post #376
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,499 Posts
    Looks low-res. Nice though.

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,899 Posts
    it's probably because I didn't specify a detail texture

18. Post #378
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,499 Posts
    it's probably because I didn't specify a detail texture
    Probs.

19. Post #379
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    Isn't that dead chicken's texture?
    Looks similar actually, but its from a photo I took.

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    So I'm still playing with these bumpy, reflective textures, but there's work to be done on the
    right-hand one, I think I'll make a larger scale one of that from the source image I have.

I need some practice tweaking the spec maps, as I've found that they're far too shiny when
    I import them directly from the texture, I'll have to fine tune the contrast and brightness to
    give the concrete a more dull shine.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,376 Posts
    I would really love to get into making textures, I honestly have no idea how to start. I've got a bunch of UVW wrapped railing and walkway models I want to texture.

The texturing in this thread looks amazing by the way. So detailed, you would have never seen this kind of output from this forum a couple years back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    For me at least it usually start by getting a base texture off the internet, usually of cgtextures.com.
    Play with levels, saturation, get it to tile. Stick it in game, edit the materail setting running "reload_materials 1; reload".

These were a test in baking textures from models, I think it went well. All 3 have spec and normal maps but its too bright too see them properly.

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,566 Posts
    For me at least it usually start by getting a base texture off the internet, usually of cgtextures.com.
    Play with levels, saturation, get it to tile. Stick it in game, edit the materail setting running "reload_materials 1; reload".

These were a test in baking textures from models, I think it went well. All 3 have spec and normal maps but its too bright too see them properly.
    The tiles on the right, did you embed the spec channel in the normal map?

It also appears to have extremely low quality for a normal map.

24. Post #384
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    The spec is in the normal map and I'm confident its written right. The texture is 512*512 so I'm unsure what went wrong, I baked it as 1024 so something must've gone wrong with the compression (even though I rebaked it at 512). I might have a go at remaking it since it would be useful to have.

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,529 Posts
    Tried my hand at making some metal panel type texture from scratch. Only used a metal base for colouring.
    This isn't really meant to be used in game, more to just test my skills.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,861 Posts
    I think the red contrasts with the concrete/metal too much. Maybe saturate the red or make it slightly more transparent?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #387
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,881 Posts
    I think the red contrasts with the concrete/metal too much. Maybe saturate the red or make it slightly more transparent?
    I actually like it how it is. I hate it when people take the color out of games, making them brown and shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #388
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    I wanted to show you guys this video (not by me) that demonstrates how well you can emulate different materials in the Source engine with the proper amount of work.

As you can see with Silver or Aluminium, there was a need to retain the red color value more in the envmap. He also had to control the phong reflection color correctly.

I think if you wanted to get serious about texturing, you need to delve into this kind of detail. Take baby steps in perfecting your normal maps, specular maps, and material files so they all output a believable texture.
    I think it's great save the copper and diamond.

My only issue with the copper is it looks too much like gold, usually I believe copper has a more pinkish coloration:

And with the diamond (and crystal?) you can't use the metal texture like you did, that's because diamond is a crystal and as such it breaks and is cut along it's crystalline structure instead of the smoother metal texture you are currently using:

But besides those small things those textures are fantastic!

29. Post #389
    April 2011
    848 Posts
    I think it's great save the copper and diamond.

My only issue with the copper is it looks too much like gold, usually I believe copper has a more pinkish coloration:

-snip-

And with the diamond (and crystal?) you can't use the metal texture like you did, that's because diamond is a crystal and as such it breaks and is cut along it's crystalline structure instead of the smoother metal texture you are currently using:

-snip-

But besides those small things those textures are fantastic!
    the video was not made by hostel.

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    566 Posts

I posted this on the map pimpage thread, but I guess that this is a more fitting thread. I used modulate blend, took me some time to tweak it to look good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Israel Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

31. Post #391
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    The decal looks a lot better.

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    566 Posts
    The decal looks a lot better.
    no decals, $blendmodulatetexture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Informative Informative x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,861 Posts
    I wanted to show you guys this video (not by me) that demonstrates how well you can emulate different materials in the Source engine with the proper amount of work.

As you can see with Silver or Aluminium, there was a need to retain the red color value more in the envmap. He also had to control the phong reflection color correctly.

I think if you wanted to get serious about texturing, you need to delve into this kind of detail. Take baby steps in perfecting your normal maps, specular maps, and material files so they all output a believable texture.
    Firegod, do you think you could give me a hand replicating this on a custom model of mine?

Edited:

Also, this isn't mapping related, but do I need to unwrap a custom model if you're having a plain, reflective texture?

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,566 Posts
    I can help.

No you don't.

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    I have a problem creating normal maps for tile surfaces, because the tiles have specs of dirt which come out as bumps in the normal when they should be smooth. Is there a rather easy way to remove this? I could do it by hand, but what I have in mind takes a long time.

Quick edit: I got past the problem, here is some progress. This is just the map I'm using to see how my textures look.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,310 Posts

I want diamond bars
    They must be pretty expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    I have a problem creating normal maps for tile surfaces, because the tiles have specs of dirt which come out as bumps in the normal when they should be smooth. Is there a rather easy way to remove this? I could do it by hand, but what I have in mind takes a long time.

Quick edit: I got past the problem, here is some progress. This is just the map I'm using to see how my textures look.

You could make a quick heightmap and generate a normal map off of that.

Just white squares with a little bit of gaussian blur.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #398
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    You could make a quick heightmap and generate a normal map off of that.

Just white squares with a little bit of gaussian blur.
    I would overlay a blurred clouds layer with low opacity and contrast to get the natural warp of tiles. Just a suggestion.

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    That's what I did, made a height map to get my normal.

40. Post #400
    December 2009
    2,568 Posts
    How do you make height maps?