"$basetexture2" "lt/lt_rock"
    "$bumpmap2" "lt/lt_rock_SSBump"
    "$ssbump2" "1"
    "$surfaceprop" "Grass"
    "$surfaceprop2" "Dirt"
    "%detailtype" "forest_floor_01"
    "$seamless_scale" "0.005"

}

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #282
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,523 Posts
    lol watermarks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    That ssbumpmap is awful. You should make a custom one that doesn't have that many bumps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    185 Posts
    Well I tried using lest bumps, still get that black crap on them. I'm just not going to use them on. Thanks for the help guys.

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    You are suppose to make a custom heightmap. Not use the same one.

6. Post #286
    April 2011
    848 Posts

my first ever custom texture :woop:

and it looks like dog sick up close :smith:

i tried to follow my brothers written instructions but they were pretty bad. anyway heres the vmf, if anyone could help me to get it to not look like crap id be really happy!

Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "custom/cave_rock01"
    	"$envmapmask" "custom/cave_rock01_spec"
    	"$bumpmap" "custom/cave_rock01_bump"
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$envmaptint" "[ .75 .75 .75 ]"

}
    Edited:

oh also, dont mind the map name!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    bump map can't be used with envmap, you need to embed the envmapmask in the base texture's alpha channel and do
    "$basealphaenvmapmask" "1"

8. Post #288
    April 2011
    848 Posts
    bump map can't be used with envmap, you need to embed the envmapmask in the base texture's alpha channel and do
    "$basealphaenvmapmask" "1"
    i thought that was only for models though??

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Nope.

10. Post #290
    April 2011
    848 Posts
    allright then! i guess i have to find out how to make an alpha channel next. thanks for the help.

11. Post #291
    December 2009
    3,749 Posts
    Here is stuff I have done with the halo 3 textures:

Media tags wont work for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

12. Post #292
    April 2011
    150 Posts

http://imageshack.us/m/12/7831/hl22011051515493277.png
    http://imageshack.us/m/815/7470/hl22011051822473874.png
    http://imageshack.us/m/109/707/hl22011051822500510.png
    IMG tag them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #293
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    Been working on a texture for a little grate model, first time I've used gimp to make a proper texture and I feel it's one of best the I've made (though that's not particularly difficult considering the general quality of my textures).

Texture shadows!

And a fancy conglomerate of the different textures:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,674 Posts

Media tags wont work for me.
    Perhaps a download link? :q:

15. Post #295
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    Been working on a texture for a little grate model, first time I've used gimp to make a proper texture and I feel it's one of best the I've made (though that's not particularly difficult considering the general quality of my textures).

Texture shadows!

And a fancy conglomerate of the different textures:

Will you be willing to share that texture? It looks amazing!

16. Post #296
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    Here it is, you or anyone else is quite welcome to do whatever you want with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,674 Posts
    --snip nevermind--

18. Post #298
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    Here it is, you or anyone else is quite welcome to do whatever you want with it.
    If I ever finish any of my maps that use it I will be sure to credit you!

19. Post #299
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    Working on a stair texture now. I've just finished modeling and baking the ambient occlusion and normals.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

20. Post #300
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    Some progress.

Automerge. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Wow that is nice. I should probably make another texture.

22. Post #302
    December 2009
    3,749 Posts
    Some progress.

What type of sci-fi year is that staircase for?
    I am not sure if you are making for sci-fi but it looks like it.
    I do think it looks amazing no matter what year it is to look like it is from.

23. Post #303
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    Some progress.

If you have time, please respond to my private message.

24. Post #304
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    And here it is in source, not a whole lot of changes since the last image besides specular and normal map tweaks.

Fits both 64-unit and 128-unit wide stairs nicely.

Specular and normal could probably use a little more tweaking. Frustratingly, reflections are non-existant at some angles and over done at others.

What type of sci-fi year is that staircase for?
    I am not sure if you are making for sci-fi but it looks like it.
    No year in mind, I've gone with a sci-fi theme because it lets me get away with silly impractical designs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    And here it is in source, not a whole lot of changes since the last image besides specular and normal map tweaks.

Specular and normal could probably use a little more tweaking. Frustratingly, reflections are non-existant at some angles and over done at others.

No year in mind, I've gone with a sci-fi theme because it lets me get away with silly impractical designs.
    Your stuff is amazing! I can't wait to see more.

26. Post #306
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts

Must... Have...

For some reason I have about 2.6k+ custom textures people gave to me (upon my request) and yet I've almost never used them

I think I have a collection fantasy with textures

27. Post #307
    not retarded or something
    July 2008
    6,196 Posts
    I suppose I'll ask this here: is there a difference in EP2 textures and Portal 2 textures? I tried using some EP2 textures in Portal 2 but they wouldn't work. If there is a significant difference in the vmt's how hard would it be to switch it over?

The reason I ask is because I would like to use the P2 engine to make maps as the lighting looks really nice.

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    I suppose I'll ask this here: is there a difference in EP2 textures and Portal 2 textures? I tried using some EP2 textures in Portal 2 but they wouldn't work. If there is a significant difference in the vmt's how hard would it be to switch it over?

The reason I ask is because I would like to use the P2 engine to make maps as the lighting looks really nice.
    Portal 2 uses vtf format 7.5. episode 2 uses 7.0-7.4 I believe. there is a batch file somewhere you can use or you can hex edit it.

29. Post #309
    not retarded or something
    July 2008
    6,196 Posts
    Portal 2 uses vtf format 7.5. episode 2 uses 7.0-7.4 I believe. there is a batch file somewhere you can use or you can hex edit it.
    Alright, I suppose models from EP2 wont work either? Or is it just the texture I would have to edit?

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    I guess try it and see.

31. Post #311
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    Posting here because it's (barely) relevant and because I don't want to waste space (by creating a thread) as well as the fact that my development team is severely held back due to lack of custom textures.

In short, we're looking for a texture artist to help with anything from HUD/GUI, 512x512 (or most power of two) map textures, decals and/or skins.

The effort in which a texture artist is required is called Aura. It is a gamemode for the Half-Life 2 modification, Garry's Mod, and it's a medieval/fantasy MORPG (Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game).

Some progress:

This is how you fix IMG_thumb posted:

Right-click > View image to enlarge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

32. Post #312
    April 2011
    150 Posts
    The outsides of buildings are nice but inside is ewww!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #313
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    Other way around IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #314
    April 2011
    150 Posts
    Other way around IMO.
    Insides are too empty and ugly. Outsides are decent.

35. Post #315
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    Insides are too empty and ugly. Outsides are decent.
    Yes, they are empty, but I would not consider them ugly by any means. They seem fit for something 'dungeon-e'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #316
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    204 Posts
    All these amazing textures but no links... D=

Anybody got some great texture packs?

37. Post #317
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    All these amazing textures but no links... D=

Anybody got some great texture packs?
    Philip K has two really great sci-fi texture packs. He's got some good tutorials on texture creation, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #318
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    There are no pictures of the interior's of those village buildings, as they haven't been mapped yet. Maybe you're thinking of the dungeon pictures?

Edited:

Yes, they are empty, but I would not consider them ugly by any means. They seem fit for something 'dungeon-e'.
    Yea there's no models at all placed yet, and as pointed out already, it's (the dungeon's interior) really under-detailed, it'll flourish in time though.

39. Post #319
    April 2011
    150 Posts
    Yep I am.

40. Post #320
    September 2010
    76 Posts
    Working on a support/truss/trim texture now.

Also, if anyone's interested I recorded a timelapse of the modeling to test screen recording.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)