1. Post #321
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,521 Posts
    Sexy timelapse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #322
    September 2010
    76 Posts

Needs some more work, the middle areas in particular are a bit lacking and I haven't worked on the bolts yet.

Edit:

Put together a quick specular mask and some nicer test lights.

Specular usually looks completely different in source, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

3. Post #323
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    It seems like a lot of effort for one texture. It would be even better if Source lit models well.

That looks a lot better now.

4. Post #324
    Asthenia you're stuff is pure awesome, I love the specular on the stairs.

5. Post #325
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    I wish he would share them, oh well it sucks that I can't create textures for shit.

6. Post #326
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    364 Posts
    Tried a thing:

In game:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

7. Post #327
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,420 Posts
    The wood is to cartoony imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    Tried a thing:

In game:

That's a really nice effect, but as Stupideye says, work on the wood.

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,973 Posts
    made wall, floor, and metal textures today

Edited:

bumpmaps!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    the wall/ceiling textures look incredibly realistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #331
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    I thought that was parallex mapping in the first and second thumbnail.

Damn nice job, Firegod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #333
    December 2009
    3,749 Posts
    I took up the old halo 2 street thing I worked on.

This is what it looks like now:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #334
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    I see that texture's serving you pretty well. Good thing I tweaked it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    Firegod helped me figure out how to add both Specularity and Normal Mapping to the same texture, and I've been tweaking and playing with it, I think it looks great so far:

the tiles are wet, as if its been rained on, leaving small puddles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 10Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

16. Post #336
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    I like the puddles idea. Took me ages to work out how to have normal and specular for my BioShock textures, is your specular embedded in the normal or the diffuse alpha channel?

17. Post #337
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    it's in the diffuse Alpha Channel, I thought that would be the best way to do it..

18. Post #338
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    I have it in the normal alpha channel, I don't think it makes a difference though.

Actually, that puddles idea has really inspired me. I think I might try and do something similar.

19. Post #339
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,454 Posts
    Firegod helped me figure out how to add both Specularity and Normal Mapping to the same texture, and I've been tweaking and playing with it, I think it looks great so far:

Alright that's the best fucking texture I have seen in ages. I just wanted you to know that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #340
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    You'd be a tad surprised how much better a map could look with more expressive bumpmaps and specular effects. It really helps unify lighting and geometry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #341
    April 2011
    325 Posts

<awesome wet tiles>

Was the normal map for that baked from a model?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #342
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    No, I used a grayscale heightmap, and then with the Nvidia Photoshop plugin. It was incredibly useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

23. Post #343
    Alright that's the best fucking texture I have seen in ages. I just wanted you to know that.
    But he now needs to make a ton more just as good ones, or else when he uses that in his map it will look completely inconsistent.

24. Post #344
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,420 Posts

Would you be able to post how you did it? I've started trying to make nicer textures.

25. Post #345
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    I've got a question: I skinned a model a friend made for me and theres a... problem. The texture around the eyes look like they are a foot in his head due to the bumpmaps, any idea on how to fix it?

26. Post #346
    April 2011
    532 Posts
    A slightly rough wood texture I made from scratch. Painted green of course.

I created it for a section in the new map I'm working on:

It's a copy of real wood paneling at a summer condo. I'll see if I can find a picture...

Edit:

I found one!

I realize the boards are angled slightly different in real life, but I decided it wasn't quite the look i was going for.

Pretty similar, eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #347
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    -snip-

28. Post #348
    December 2007
    1,824 Posts
    Pretty similar, eh?
    Not quite, since the real walls looks like this from the side:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 10Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #349
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    But it still looks amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    Would you be able to post how you did it? I've started trying to make nicer textures.
    If you mean how to embed the specular into the normal and do the .vmt and stuff, I can help with that. 'Fraid I can't help with making speculars.

31. Post #351
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    Although, his result looks incredibly detailed, and the bumpmap is rather nice.

I guess I could show you what I did, I'll do WIP screenshots on my next texture when I get round to it,
    moving house means I have little time for anything right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #352
    April 2011
    325 Posts
    Where did you get the base texture for the tiles?

33. Post #353
    April 2011
    532 Posts
    Wow, even a diagram Thank you, but no need to explain. I am aware. The reason I made it that way, DasMatze, is because I don't need it to match up perfectly with real life. After all, who's going to see it in real life besides me? :) I just made it quite detailed, and similar, like I said. It fits it's purpose well.

34. Post #354
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,412 Posts
    My house's walls are more like that red one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny x 4Informative x 1Dumb x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #355
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,521 Posts
    firegod's sexy pics
    Heh, I gave you that texture. Love what you did to it!

36. Post #356
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    I wanted to show you guys this video (not by me) that demonstrates how well you can emulate different materials in the Source engine with the proper amount of work.

As you can see with Silver or Aluminium, there was a need to retain the red color value more in the envmap. He also had to control the phong reflection color correctly.

I think if you wanted to get serious about texturing, you need to delve into this kind of detail. Take baby steps in perfecting your normal maps, specular maps, and material files so they all output a believable texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #357
    April 2011
    532 Posts
    I wanted to show you guys this video (not by me) that demonstrates how well you can emulate different materials in the Source engine with the proper amount of work.

-snip-

As you can see with Silver or Aluminium, there was a need to retain the red color value more in the envmap. He also had to control the phong reflection color correctly.

I think if you wanted to get serious about texturing, you need to delve into this kind of detail. Take baby steps in perfecting your normal maps, specular maps, and material files so they all output a believable texture.
    That video is sexy as hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Indeed. I just started making a completely new texture pack tonight. I hope to set higher standards for what Source textures should look like. I'm starting with some of the material files that Valve uses in L4D2; one material file from a good wood, glass, stone, and concrete texture. From there I can more quickly get an idea of what modifications I need to make in my textures or the specific material file.

39. Post #359
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    They all look like plastic, really. But thats just because of Source's limitations.

The Silver was too pink and Bronze looked like a giant chocolate bar, other than that I have no grievances.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #360
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    They all look like plastic, really. But thats just because of Source's limitations.

The Silver was too pink and Bronze looked like a giant chocolate bar, other than that I have no grievances.
    Metal elements typically retain other colors and reflect a bit more red. Anyway, that silver bar wouldn't always look red depending on the environment. Look at the other edges rather than the one facing you most in the video, they are much less red. It's also too easy to say that the bronze bar looks like chocolate because it's harder to make references of materials that are silver and gold colored to anything else other than the metals. I think every material was accurately portrayed.

Also, what do you think of this? This is $reflectivity being manipulated. It changes the default brightness of reflected light that is in the material file. No it doesn't increase compile times or bounce more light, it makes whatever IS bounced, brighter. I seem to have a liking for the higher reflectivity values. It's also nice that it's handled in three values so you could control the type of ambient light you would like. If you were making ice textures, you might want to have the blue value higher, or perhaps you are you making a mars texture pack, so you make the red value a bit higher, just so the red theme of mars is put more naturally into your lighting from the get-go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)