1. Post #1
    March 2005
    71 Posts
    SPECIAL UPDATE DATED 2/7/2011 : Frontier is by no means dead. The development team has hit a few snags and like everyone else, have their own lives to contend with. Please keep in mind that Frontier is a HOBBY project, and is constrained to the free time the developers may or may not have. Further questions should be forwarded to the Development team. Thank you.

In lieu of an expanding thread with no proper OP, here is the un-official Frontier Gamemode thread!

Frontier is a project in the works by forum-goers Jinto, Lazermaniac, Slash, and DApocolypse.
    Frontier has a specific art-form to it, with a story revolving around an earth with ever-decreasing resources.

While it is unfortunate that development is not as active as other well known game-modes, the developers have been busy with life, school, and in jinto's case, the gamemode Zinger!, which will be packaged with garrysmod sometime in the near future.

Here is a short FAQ and media posting by Dev DApocolypse

We don't want to make a thread until we get a little farther into development. This thread was made by someone who saw the posts in the SBEP thread/YouTube Channel. But I suppose I can compile all the info into one post.

[release]Video Media

Smacking Lazer with a mattress. (With a side of HASTE)

A Tour of Sol

Repurposing a Wind Turbine

Space Probe

Attempt to Orbit a Planet

Lazer's Mass Accelerator Trash Chute

Frontier Devices on Jupiter

Life Support Testing

[/release]

[release]
    Picture Media

Random Shitty Wallpaper

A WIP Frontier Map by Bynari

[/release]

[release]
    Short FAQ

Q: When/Will this be released?
    A: We don't even know ourselves. Stop asking. But it will be released when completed.

Q: This is just like Spacebuild! Get your own ideas.
    A: Yeah, it's like Spacebuild on purpose. And before we started, we asked for Shanjaq's blessing. (Original Spacebuild Creator)

Q: Is there any room for playtesting?
    A: Certainly not to those that ask. Whenever new features are added I ask random people to hop in my server and try it. When development gets further, A public beta server may be opened. But don't keep your hopes up.

Q: Will this be compatible with X
    A: With the exception of minimal wire support (Still undecided on that though.), we aren't taking the time to make Frontier compatible with other addons. I'd imagine it'd work fine with SBEP and all that though. But we run clean vanilla servers when we work on Frontier.

Q: Is this some sort of Space Roleplay?
    A: God no. I don't know where anyone got this idea.

Q: I have more questions/ideas.
    A: Believe it or not, we'd love to hear them. You can ask in this thread or PM me here on the forums.
    [/release]
    Edit: Updated with more videos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Artistic x 20Lua King x 8Dumb x 6Winner x 4Informative x 2Optimistic x 2Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,709 Posts
    Use [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjhca-DOhHkk[/media] tags, and the link to the actual video.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2005
    71 Posts
    I feel pretty stupid, but that isn't working. Sorry, I'm so used to only posting on the SA forums, and there is no option to embed videos there.

E: Hurr I'm dumb, I'm using the wrong url's. Fixing, hang on.

E: Fixed.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,745 Posts
    Just incase the devs read this thread, I want to suggest a dual purpose for the solar panals aswell, have it so that they can also act as solar sails. If you look at the vid of someone attempting to orbit a planet, it would be easy to think if the panels were facing the opposite direction they could look like a sci-fi solar sail.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    678 Posts
    I like it. (Not the thread but vipers idea)

Edited:

Also take spacebuild killer out of your thread title please.

6. Post #6
    February 2010
    204 Posts
    I just want to direct people who have not seen the thread before, and have not seen the old thread, to this post by DaApocalypse. It contains most of the videos posted here, but it also contains some nice pictures and an FAQ by DaApocalypse.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/946...1#post23369056

[list]Also, if you have absolutely no idea what the gamemode is about, please keep in perspective that it is still in progress and that it will be based around a sandbox/building objective, and not roleplay or combat. Although after release you may manipulate it to whatever your desires may be, but as of the official release it will be Sandbox based in Space.[/list]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Bly
    February 2010
    47 Posts
    Diet Taco;[/list posted:
    Also, if you have absolutely no idea what the gamemode is about, please keep in perspective that it is still in progress and that it will be based around a sandbox/building objective, and not roleplay or combat. Although after release you may manipulate it to whatever your desires may be, but as of the official release it will be Sandbox based in Space.
    Ya you know sort of like the old days in spacebuild when it was actually good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    March 2005
    71 Posts
    I just want to direct people who have not seen the thread before, and have not seen the old thread, to this post by DaApocalypse. It contains most of the videos posted here, but it also contains some nice pictures and an FAQ by DaApocalypse.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/946...1#post23369056

[list]Also, if you have absolutely no idea what the gamemode is about, please keep in perspective that it is still in progress and that it will be based around a sandbox/building objective, and not roleplay or combat. Although after release you may manipulate it to whatever your desires may be, but as of the official release it will be Sandbox based in Space.[/list]
    Posted FAQ to the op

9. Post #9
    October 2009
    483 Posts
    how much realistic is it?
    So nowadays you put a bh cache and go to space

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    128 Posts
    As realistic as taking a small ship full of devices to smaller-than normal planets that are ridiculously close to each other is.

Well, we are trying to give it a tiny bit of realism.

11. Post #11
    July 2010
    1,456 Posts
    no hud, no nothing.

I call box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    483 Posts
    Cooooooooooooooooooooool :)
    Can't wait for release

13. Post #13
    October 2009
    483 Posts
    No comments?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Hungary Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    678 Posts
    oh in case someone was wondering

were working on this shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2008
    397 Posts
    Aww man. It feels all official and shit.
    Things can only get better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    128 Posts

WORKING HARD ON FRONTIER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2005
    71 Posts

working hard on frontier
    I don't know man, that looks kind of like minecraft to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    678 Posts
    surprise: we've dropped Garry's Mod for Minecraft

19. Post #19
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    surprise: we've dropped Garry's Mod for Minecraft
    Would probably be an easier engine to work in ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    181 Posts
    i cant wait to get gmod so i can lean to map and work on Frontier with DaApocalypse

FRONTIER!!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Would probably be an easier engine to work in ;)
    Dude, it's Java. It'd lag more than running three copies of Crysis 2 simultaneously.

Also, OP looks nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22

October 2007
    66 Posts
    I remain skeptical. Then again, I've seen too many projects (not just Gmod related) wither and die, or, in a few cases, turn out to be complete hoaxes.

Then again, I'm always skeptical.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    678 Posts
    That was the hardest struggle, making the pictures not look shopped
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2010
    138 Posts
    I remain skeptical. Then again, I've seen too many projects (not just Gmod related) wither and die, or, in a few cases, turn out to be complete hoaxes.

Then again, I'm always skeptical.
    same. (monkey joe please release tornado chase?)lol

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    same. (monkey joe please release tornado chase?)lol
    Oh dear yes, best example of them all.

26. Post #26
    April 2010
    34 Posts
    Any work still being done on this? Or has it been left under the bed with the dust bunnies and %90 of other game modes.

27. Post #27
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Any work still being done on this? Or has it been left under the bed with the dust bunnies and %90 of other game modes.
    I am unsure how much I can say, but I can confirm work is still being done on this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    September 2008
    397 Posts
    Im sure I've said this before....but, EPIC!

29. Post #29
    February 2010
    204 Posts
    Im sure I've said this before....but, EPIC!
    It shall be repeated over... and over... and over... and over... again.

-IN OTHER NEWS-

I'd recommend not getting to hyped for this, but don't get skeptical for I see a picture in the moderately distant future. And it will be this way until release.

Edited:

As for the Minecraft situation, it sounds like a plan... Minecraft, IN SPACE!? Anyone else see Notch taking up this idea, after MultiPlayer-Survival mode is completed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2005
    2 Posts
    Is there any help the frontier team is looking for?

I guess maps are always welcomed.

But what about more models at the same sort of polished quality you already have?

Without Frontier being out, at least in some barely usable and buggy alpha release, it's hard to tell the direction and style your getting at and how to contribute at all in the first place.

Although I could whip up 3DsMax right now and start making any random model, I'd rather concentrate effort on a polished, useful and well done model over any random object.

31. Post #31
    September 2008
    397 Posts
    II cant count the unmber of times I've tried to build an osprey or a hornet out of stuff in garrys mod, just to be let down by the wings and engines. Those turbines look like something I'm going to thoroughly enjoy.

32. Post #32
    February 2009
    72 Posts
    As for the Minecraft situation, it sounds like a plan... Minecraft, IN SPACE!? Anyone else see Notch taking up this idea, after MultiPlayer-Survival mode is completed?
    I dont like the idea to put space into minecraft. Why dont we put minecraft into space, well actually there is something like that. Its like a space-minecraft, but enough with the words.
    Ladies and Gentlemen:
    Miner wars

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    678 Posts
    I think it would be interesting if the Minecraft world could be somehow expanded to be an entire planet. Maybe it could be a cube planet.

34. Post #34
    December 2006
    4 Posts
    Notch did mention in one of his vocal interviews that a game he wishes he could make (but lacks the funding and the support to do so currently) a game similar to EVE: Online, except with the ability to walk around inside of ships, and make the gameplay much more manually-oriented than EVE's 'Point, click and wait until it dies' gameplay.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,597 Posts
    Something like Bridge Commander, but with explorable ships and MMO sized maps, instead of a "warp to other map" command? Sounds good to me!

The idea behind Shores of Hazeron was also good, too bad the final product was REALLY bad.

36. Post #36
    December 2008
    20 Posts
    I have seen a few pictures of what seem like different maps to me, so I was wondering how many maps are already made for this gamemode? Also, I am aware that most SB mappers use a planetdev kit when they map so will you later release a mapping devkit for frontier?

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,597 Posts
    Can't believe these videos weren't added to the OP...

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,099 Posts
    Something like Bridge Commander, but with explorable ships and MMO sized maps, instead of a "warp to other map" command? Sounds good to me!

The idea behind Shores of Hazeron was also good, too bad the final product was REALLY bad.
    Final product?
    They're still heavily working on it.
    It probably wont be finished for years.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,597 Posts
    I meant the current version, sorry.

However, I don't like the idea of beginning as the equivalent of a caveman, having to build EVERYTHING from scratch and punching things that try to eat me. It's supposed to be a space exploration game, not Minecraft, dammit! :argh:

40. Post #40
    February 2010
    204 Posts
    What if you could progress, and get guns... Somewhat to Rise of Nations or Age of Empires where you progress to the gunpowder era and you can build guns. Later progressing into space and building space stations allowing you to explore space that way. Wouldn't minecraft singleplayer be so much more awesome if this were the case. Lol that'd make for an interesting game.

Edited:

I think it would be interesting if the Minecraft world could be somehow expanded to be an entire planet. Maybe it could be a cube planet.
    This would be epic. Not to mention it would add a whole new aspect to the game. (Even though the minecraft maps are rumored to be infinitely large.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)