1. Post #81
    November 2009
    3,625 Posts
    Game seems interesting, how is the actual gameplay? Sounds like it is PvP focused. Do the expansions cost money, or are they just like large updates? How large is the player base?

2. Post #82

November 2010
    66 Posts
    Playerbase is more-or-less dead in most areas, gameplay summary: "Spam high level magic or prepare to be killed many, many times and have all of your possessions taken."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    November 2009
    3,625 Posts
    Playerbase is more-or-less dead in most areas
    Ouch, that kinda dropped my hopes

Gameplay summary: "Spam high level magic or prepare to be killed many, many times and have all of your possessions taken."
    Sounds like most games, without the losing all possessions part

4. Post #84
    The Feral Chicken formerly known as "El Pollo Diablo"
    January 2008
    4,155 Posts
    The playerbase is fine.
    Just most people don't seem to be living everywhere.
    They all seem to bundle at major citys and player towns.
    But the level/stats progression is hard, Its basically you fall behind you get left behind.
    Besides Risk vs Reward with player drops.

5. Post #85
    January 2009
    56 Posts
    playerbase isnt dead at all, it would just be nicer to have more people (and no not talking about in the noob areas) in the cities, chaos citys and generally farming around map

and im awesomefusion asd on eu for whoever asked

6. Post #86
    November 2009
    3,625 Posts
    Been looking at a lot of videos. The events looks crazy; the huge raids attacking the cities, the groups killing the Kraken, etc.

I'll definitely get the trial.

7. Post #87

July 2010
    535 Posts
    Been looking at a lot of videos. The events looks crazy; the huge raids attacking the cities, the groups killing the Kraken, etc.

I'll definitely get the trial.
    But you won't play for long, because once you've uncovered the truth about the game you'll quit.

Basically here's how it runs down.
    If you're new(your first two months) you're going to get mauled by people who have grinded their skills more than you have.
    Levelling your spells an skills by using them sounds nice in theory, but in game you will see tons of people swimming against a wall all day to level their strength/swim, and in clan cities you will see lots of people afk macroing hitting another person with a spell or a weapon to level it up. And this goes on for weeks to get your mastery good enough to even be competent in PvP.
    Macroing is a part of the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    But you won't play for long, because once you've uncovered the truth about the game you'll quit.

Basically here's how it runs down.
    If you're new(your first two months) you're going to get mauled by people who have grinded their skills more than you have.
    Levelling your spells an skills by using them sounds nice in theory, but in game you will see tons of people swimming against a wall all day to level their strength/swim, and in clan cities you will see lots of people afk macroing hitting another person with a spell or a weapon to level it up. And this goes on for weeks to get your mastery good enough to even be competent in PvP.
    Macroing is a part of the game.
    What are you doing here again, Beiber?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    January 2008
    4,155 Posts
    New patch, Introduced offline skilling
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=270944
    Since the patch is running a little late due to some last minute issues, we had to postpone our Scrum presentation meeting scheduled today until Monday. This and other patch-related activities also pushed this week's Activity report to early next week, Monday or Tuesday so that we can include items from the scrum presentation in it. We apologize for this delay.

Additionally from the billing department, transfers are not meant to be used to force name changes. The system has been modified not to support this anymore, so any failed attempts will not receive support.

On with the patch notes:

[LIST=1][*]Offline skill meditation has been added. More information on this can be found on the Darkfall Blog.[*]Sea fortresses will only go vulnerable during peak hours.[*]If you have a stack of ammo equipped on your Paperdoll (for example arrows), and click on a stack of arrows in your backpack, it will merge that stack with the one on the paperdoll.[*]Fixed a bug where you would sometimes lose buffs from enchantments after entering gank mode and then being revived.[*]Fixed an issue regarding blood effects and spells where their behaviour would be different depending on spell hitting the back/front of a player.[*]The names of players who are entering/leaving your clan city will now be displayed with colors corresponding to their political status towards your clan.[*]Raised the limit of active quests from 10 to 15.[*]When a system message notifies you that a friend is online, you can now click on his name to open up a private chat window.[*]Pressing Alt-Use on a player (default "G"), now gives you the option to send him a whisper.[*]Getting encumbered while performing any kind of Recall, will no longer interrupt the Recall's animation and sound.[*]By popular demand, NPC vendors will now accept Composite Clubs from players who wish to sell them.[*]Added roll commands to the chat system: /roll , /roll_party , /roll_clan.
    If you issue a simple /roll command, it will roll a standard 6-sided die. You can choose the number of sides of the die if you wish by doing (for example) /roll D20. This will roll a 20 sided die.[*]Face lifts, using the amazing no.15 face in the Barber shop is now available to Dwarves and Alfars as well.
    [/LIST]

10. Post #90
    February 2010
    144 Posts
    Guess I'll give this a go. I'm gonna play the trial and see how it is.

11. Post #91
    January 2008
    4,155 Posts
    Try joining the Clan NEW, You'll make some quick friends and a nice place to level and live out of.

12. Post #92
    February 2010
    144 Posts
    Well, I played it. Was pretty fun, a lot more difficult than other MMO's. Consequences of dying add a good sense of danger to the game. How would I go about joining NEW?

13. Post #93
    January 2008
    4,155 Posts
    Here's their new website it probably has information on how to join.
    http://www.newonagon.com/

14. Post #94
    January 2008
    4,155 Posts
    Heavy bump.
    But just giving the word out to old players.
    Here are the patch notes for today’s patch.

- Fixes for player-village control-points to force free state if owner clan doesn’t exist
    - Altered house tax-not-paid flag display text to ensure it fits in the targeting component
    - Player-village control-points now revert to maximum health after 20 minutes of not taking damage
    - Skill XP-gains set to 4x for the “phat loot” weekend
    - Fixed “silent bind-stone recall / rune-stone marking” exploit
    - Fixed “emotes cutting animations / sounds” exploit
    - Fixed “trading with invulnerable player” exploit
    - Fixed trading while traveling exploit
    - House owners can set bank access permissions for tenants
    - House bank sessions close automatically if the player losses the house (owners) or access permissions (tenants)
    - Global loot increases for the “phat loot” weekend

Also all valid Darkfall accounts have now been reactivated and already active accounts have had 3 days added to their subscription times.
    Enjoy!
    Im thinking of giving it another shot to see if it has improved abit.
    Most likely doubt it but still would be nice to see my character, Havn't seen it in a long time.

15. Post #95
    Dennab
    February 2011
    1,499 Posts
    The game is dead until they inevitably go to F2P or work with Steam somehow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,219 Posts
    Won't be trying it again until Darkfall 2.0 or a wipe.

17. Post #97
    January 2008
    4,155 Posts
    Just had a go.
    the level gain is actually ridiculously fast.
    level 1 unholy fire,Hit,level 13 unholy fire.
    in 5-10minutes i already had unholy fire level 50.

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,257 Posts
    Yeah I'm not playing until they either wipe servers or Darkfall 2.0 releases. Right now it's fucking ridiculous if you didn't play 24/7 for the first year.

Edited:

The game is dead until they inevitably go to F2P or work with Steam somehow.
    Yeah I have no idea why they didn't launch it on Steam in the first place. Not to mention the separate versions for EU/US people so that way US players playing EU until they got their shit together had to buy it twice. What dickheads, why not share databases? It isn't like they'd run out of usernames.

19. Post #99
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    I really REALLY loved Darkfall when I played it, to me, it felt like any The Elder Scrolls game but in MMO format.
    Unlike most other MMOs, Darkfall actually has a *world*, that's interesting to explore, and not just a set of instances and places where mobs spawn.
    Having harsh penalties for dying also gave it very good feeling of danger often.

Gathering resources and training with a bunch of friends to build a Raft and then traveling around the whole world (the WHOLE world island, that journey took us real days) was the most fun I had in any MMO ever (well, except for AvA Warfare in Global Agenda maybe but Global Agenda is more like TF2 than a classic MMORPG).
    I'm not going to play it anymore though because the community is very scarce and most veterans just camp outside "noob cities" for easy targets. Being F2P would benefit this amazing game a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    The Amazing
    April 2009
    4,893 Posts
    I really REALLY loved Darkfall when I played it, to me, it felt like any The Elder Scrolls game but in MMO format.
    Unlike most other MMOs, Darkfall actually has a *world*, that's interesting to explore, and not just a set of instances and places where mobs spawn.
    Having harsh penalties for dying also gave it very good feeling of danger often.

Gathering resources and training with a bunch of friends to build a Raft and then traveling around the whole world (the WHOLE world island, that journey took us real days) was the most fun I had in any MMO ever (well, except for AvA Warfare in Global Agenda maybe but Global Agenda is more like TF2 than a classic MMORPG).
    I'm not going to play it anymore though because the community is very scarce and most veterans just camp outside "noob cities" for easy targets. Being F2P would benefit this amazing game a lot.
    Building a raft and travelling would sound really fun. How long would it normally take to get skills up enough to do something like that? A friend and I are pretty interested in these types of games, but we haven't exactly found a "multiplayer Elder Scrolls" yet.
    There just aren't very many coop friendly games anymore.

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,257 Posts
    Building a raft and travelling would sound really fun. How long would it normally take to get skills up enough to do something like that? A friend and I are pretty interested in these types of games, but we haven't exactly found a "multiplayer Elder Scrolls" yet.
    This is the ultimate game for dickheads with no lives. You're fucked if you're just coming into the game. The very least you'd have to do is get into a guild that is capable of protecting and helping you constantly.

22. Post #102
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    This is the ultimate game for dickheads with no lives. You're fucked if you're just coming into the game. The very least you'd have to do is get into a guild that is capable of protecting and helping you constantly.
    This is pretty much true but our band of friends (4-5 people) managed to get a raft within one-two weeks or so. Ofcorse we did bunch of other shit like questing and I even managed to drag them all to the other side of the island because there was particular type of mob that I needed to kill to become a better assassin (I was planning to go all Daggers and Air Magic).

It was really really fun but in the end, grinding killed it. There's just a lot of grinding if you want to get somewhere, I don't mind (didn't mind back then) it so much but my friends did.

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,193 Posts
    That is disappointing to hear, I mean Dawntide is only in beta, Wurm is as hard as concrete, this game is unbalanced to new players, and this is the only type of MMO I enjoy, sigh.

24. Post #104
    June 2011
    588 Posts
    You can get two shotted by naked max level players if you're new to darkfall.

If you want to get into PvP, which the game is all about, you have to grind which involves swimming against a wall all night(and get banned for it BCZ NOT ALLOWED :< ) or get in a top clan that owns a clan city and macro hitting a blood wall(afk people), but they nerfed that so that you get less points by hitting players. So it's all around aventurine fucking themselves in the ass because they're losing players because they don't have a constant flow of new players because grinding is boring and the npcs cities get camped by people like Jet Boom Iceman Hottie, Miguel Prado(me), KidDJs Mom or other hated people from Welcome to Darkfall, the best and most hated clan in darkfall which originates from www.noxiousnet.com.

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,978 Posts
    I wouldn't mind this going F2P like fallen earth. Free players have slow skill gain , limited crafting, and no leadership functions. Normal subscription payers have the same benefits as subscribers now, and perhaps acces to some higher level gear and the ability to pilot large ships and those floating tank things. and poeple who pay even more get group EXP buffs and such.

On the battlefield ,non subscribers would be the grunts and subscribers would be some sort of quad leaders and special units.

26. Post #106

April 2011
    64 Posts
    I wouldn't mind this going F2P like fallen earth. Free players have slow skill gain , limited crafting, and no leadership functions. Normal subscription payers have the same benefits as subscribers now, and perhaps acces to some higher level gear and the ability to pilot large ships and those floating tank things. and poeple who pay even more get group EXP buffs and such.

On the battlefield ,non subscribers would be the grunts and subscribers would be some sort of quad leaders and special units.
    aka, make it pay2win

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,978 Posts
    aka, make it pay2win
    The most perfect situation would be one where all premium items are cosmetic ones, but it's doubtfull if the game can maintain enough subsrcibers to substain itself that way.

The benefits I've stated in my last post might be a bit overkill tough. Premiums should only get XP buffs and a higher crafting rate. In a normal fight the premiums shouldn't have special benefits.

28. Post #108
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    The most perfect situation would be one where all premium items are cosmetic ones, but it's doubtfull if the game can maintain enough subsrcibers to substain itself that way.
    Global Agenda, Tribes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,084 Posts
    Isn't this game the one where the developers boasted about it being revolutionary and kept delaying the release date for like 9 years, then when it was finally released everything was already done before, textures and animations were seriously outdated and the interface was hard to navigate? I think I heard of this game before.

Also I think the developers lied a lot if this is the game I'm thinking of.

30. Post #110
    June 2010
    78 Posts
    oh no this game was fairly innovative for its time its just the devs underestimated the internet ie its full of jerks that will kill you just for fun! and that what really killed the game its not fun being ganked right after you get 1000 iron ore or a raft trust me i know i hung with a guild called equilibrium and about 2 weeks of inviting a couple of members at least two of them ganked my bro and another clan mate and left us your best bet is to hang with people you know anyone else is untrustworthy as f***

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,064 Posts
    Isn't this game the one where the developers boasted about it being revolutionary and kept delaying the release date for like 9 years, then when it was finally released everything was already done before, textures and animations were seriously outdated and the interface was hard to navigate? I think I heard of this game before.Also I think the developers lied a lot if this is the game I'm thinking of.
    You are thinking of Darkfall if anything. EVE has been around for ages and CCP are easily one of the nicest developers around.

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,219 Posts
    Dear Friends,

We are happy to announce our ultimate Darkfall promotion that features:

Epic skill-up increase by 20x, 4x global loot, and village control points go active every 6 hours.
    Return to Darkfall promotion for 2+2 days for free.
    Get Darkfall for the price of the subscription
    The subscription fee reduction to 9.95.
    Max-out Skill-up Increase

Skill-up by 20x the normal skill-up rate and max-out your character in no time at all.

Global loot has been quadrupled.

Village control points go active every 6 hours instead of every 12

Date: Starting Monday July 2nd until Darkfall 2.0 launches.

Return to Darkfall

Darkfall subscribers, old and new, can come back to Darkfall for free for 2+2 days

Dates: July 2nd-July 4th and July 9th July 11th

Get Darkfall for the Price of the Subscription

The Darkfall client price has been taken away, and you can now get Darkfall for the price of the subscription, reduced by approximately 35% to 9.95 or $9.95.

Dates: Starting Monday July 2nd until Darkfall 2.0 launches.

Times:

The promotion starts on Monday, July 2nd (14:00 GMT, 07:00 PST).

We will also apply a patch that apart from the increased skill gains and loot drops will also address the stamina bug as well as some issues with sieges. Complete patch notes will be posted on Monday. Also, the development team would like you to know that the skill ups only apply until the skill reaches level 99. This is so that surges occur at the rate they do now and not at an increased rate because of the increased skill ups.

ALRIGHT, so here is something I typed up on forumfall that will sorta give you guys an idea on how fucking fast skill gain will be.

"Think of it this way...

It took me 2 years to fully develop my wolf (and I casual'd so hard).

If it was 2x skill gain the entire time those 2 years, it'd be 1 year instead of 2.

Say it was 4x skill gain ever since release, I'd of been fully developed in half of 1 year.

Say it was 6x skill gain, I would have been fully developed in a quarter of 1 year compared to the 2 years.

Now this is where it starts to get ridiculous... If it was 8x skill gain I would have been fully developed in 2.5 months. Now say it was 10x skill gain, it'd be 1 month. If it was 12x skill gain it'd be 15 days. 14x skill gain it'd be 7 days (1 week). 16x skill gain? 3.5 days.

20x skill gain? You will be done with your character if you evenly contribute your skill gains and what not through 2 days. If not, you will be fully developed within' a week of very casual gaming.

Verdict? Fuck yeah I'm returning on a new toon."

(I'm looking for a few buds to play with if possible, PM me for details!)

33. Post #113
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Darkfall is the only MMORPG I really managed to get into (because they're all just a bunch of grindfests with shitty combat) because it's got decent combat, where it's actually fun to fight mobs and other players, and it's actually fun to explore the giant world (I wrote about how me and a bunch of my friends traveled to the edge of the world on a raft, some time earlier in the thread, perfect example.)

I love to get back into the game but the grind was killing me. Now seems like it's a good time to try playing again.

What is Darkfall 2.0 by the way, any info on that? I'd really like to know.

34. Post #114
    October 2009
    5,011 Posts
    Always wanted to try this out. With the new promotion, is the game still dead?

35. Post #115
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Always wanted to try this out. With the new promotion, is the game still dead?
    I wasn't dead, it was underpopulated. It all comes down to what you prefer. I personally liked it that way because I can't stand overcrowded cities/dungeons/important locations.

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,768 Posts

It is what it is..

37. Post #117
    May 2008
    1,118 Posts
    So is it worth the ten bucks now? I had fun before on the trial.