1. Post #1
    Terrible Mustache Aficionado
    November 2010
    2,654 Posts
    [release]North Korea artillery fire hits South island

(Reuters) - North Korea on Tuesday fired dozens of artillery shells at a South Korean island, setting buildings on fire and prompting a return of fire by the South, Seoul's military and media reports said.

A witness said residents of the island of Yeonpyeong, off the west coast of the peninsula near a disputed maritime border, had been evacuated.

Yonhap news agency said four South Korean soldiers had been wounded in the shelling, the biggest attack in years.

YTN television quoted a witness as saying 60 to 70 houses were on fire after the shelling and TV footage showed plumes of smoke coming from the island. It said a South Korean fighter jet had been deployed to the west coast after the shelling.

"Houses and mountains are on fire and people are evacuating. You can't see very well because of plumes of smoke," a witness on the island told YTN.

"People are frightened to death and shelling continues as we speak," the witness said.

News of the exchange of fire sent the won tumbling in offshore markets with the 1-month won down in NDF trading.

The impact was felt internationally, with U.S. 10-year Treasury futures rising and the Japanese yen falling.

South Korea's military confirmed the exchange of firing, without providing more details.

The attack comes just as a U.S. envoy is traveling to the region after revelations that the North is moving ahead with uranium enrichment, a possible second path to manufacture material for atomic weapons.

Source[/release]

Updates:

[release]
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM GMT - South Korean fighter jet deployed to west coast island after shelling
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:45 AM GMT - at least 200 shells hit island
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:48 AM GMT - S.Korea top presidential aides meeting in underground bunker at presidential compound
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 6:53 AM GMT - South Korea warns stronger response if North continues provocations
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM GMT - S.Korea's military sends message to north to stop artillery fire
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 7:12 AM GMT - Witness says residents fleeing S.Korean island by fishing boats
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM GMT - South Korean military confirms one South Korean marine killed, three in serious condition
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 8:37 AM GMT - South Korea police find bodies of civilians after North Korea attack
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 8:46 AM GMT - N.Korea says South's actions driving peninsula "to the brink of war"
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM GMT -
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 at 3:36 AM GMT - North Korea warns of more retaliatory attacks for new south "provocations"
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 at 3:36 AM GMT - North Korea rejects talks proposal from U.S. forces in South Korea, says South Korean government
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 at X:XX AM GMT - China sends officials to Seoul to try to stop the military drills from occuring
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM GMT - U.S.-South Korea military exercises have begun
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 1:49 AM GMT - Japan spots Chinese vessels near disputed islands
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 2:39 AM GMT - North Korea places surface-to-surface missiles on Yellow Sea launch pads
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 2:39 AM GMT - South Korea orders residents of Yeonpyeong Island evacuated to shelters
    [/release]

The updates are coming fast on twitter so everyone should follow this
    http://twitter.com/reuters

Also on WSJ
    http://twitter.com/WSJ

and
    http://twitter.com/BreakingNews
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 95Funny x 33Friendly x 6Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 126Dumb x 37Informative x 5Disagree x 4Funny x 3Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,189 Posts
    And then nothing else happend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Disagree x 82Agree x 18Dumb x 3Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2010
    2,654 Posts
    You idiot, it's happening now.

Also, update. :siren:

S. Korean fighter jet deployed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 36Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2008
    507 Posts
    Oh Kim, you're so silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,430 Posts
    I wonder if this will be another dick waving session, or an actual beginning toward a Korean conflict.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 132Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2009
    1,514 Posts
    So the mortars were fired just now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    Normally I'd say that nothing would happen but they actually did some serious damage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 40 (list)

9. Post #9
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    17,699 Posts
    DehEHEHEHEHEHE I WONDER

I wonder if this will be another dick waving session, or an actual beginning toward a Korean conflict.
    This isn't dick waving, this is walking up to them and slapping them with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 104Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    3,110 Posts
    Does this mean World War III is about to happen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree x 28Dumb x 5Agree x 3Informative x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,966 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 170Agree x 26Friendly x 10Winner x 2Zing x 2Informative x 2Dumb x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Royal Flush Commander of the North Star between Norway and Russia in some other universe then here.

July 2005
    668 Posts
    Looks like the North is trying to remain the most dominant and best Korea of them all. Why not send a bomb to show them who's the boss?

But in all seriousness, Hope everyone in S. Korea is doing well. It's kinda bullshit when your just about to go home and all of a sudden your house blows up right as you get out the car.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 40Funny Funny x 8 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    3,110 Posts
    Baba Vanga was right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 105Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2010
    2,654 Posts
    Another update, at least 200 shells hit island.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 24 (list)

15. Post #15
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    200 shells?
    Thats like a full barrage 4x
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2010
    2,748 Posts
    Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck I don't want to die a virgin.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 130Friendly x 10Agree x 8Optimistic x 3Dumb x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    Any moment now, "BREAKING NEWS: NORTH KOREAN TANKS STORM OVER DMZ"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    March 2010
    4,223 Posts
    Ugh WWIII is not going to come from a Korean conflict. NK has like, no actual strategic allies, just economic. China and Russia would back the fuck out if the DPRK did anything seriously stupid, and with only one country being the aggressor, it's hard to have a worldwide conflict.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,392 Posts
    Read it as "west korea"

Made me sad, korea is so great I was anticipating another one to grace the world with it's majesty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 67Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    Ugh WWIII is not going to come from a Korean conflict. NK has like, no actual strategic allies, just economic. China and Russia would back the fuck out if the DPRK did anything seriously stupid, and with only one country being the aggressor, it's hard to have a worldwide conflict.
    space nazis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 81Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    March 2007
    936 Posts
    Oh shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2010
    658 Posts
    Baba Vanga was right?
    That was my thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,918 Posts
    Here we go again with the Koreas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    975 Posts
    Oh man, waiting for an update!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,293 Posts
    The updates are coming fast on twitter so everyone should follow this
    http://twitter.com/reuters

Also on WSJ
    http://twitter.com/WSJ

and
    http://twitter.com/BreakingNews
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    POOP DICKS
    August 2008
    4,912 Posts
    Shit, I'm gonna get drafted..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 100Agree x 9Friendly x 6Disagree x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,941 Posts
    History unfolding right now? I'm sorry auntie I had to stay up tonight, but theres a war going on. Can't wait to see the look on her face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 41Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,586 Posts
    No no no no no no no no no i live like just a hundred miles away from this shit, I'm really hoping nothing happens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly x 167Informative x 3Zing x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1Disagree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,941 Posts
    I'm joining the army next year. This is perfect timing for shit to go down. :devil:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 45Dumb x 8Agree x 5Winner x 3Optimistic x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2010
    4,223 Posts
    Shit, I'm gonna get drafted..
    Yes America is going to re-instate the draft for a fight against the DPRK. Jesus, you people

e: Really? Dumb? What, do you think we're going to make a massive land assault against them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 72Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    My brother just went into basic training for the Air Force.
    If this escalates, this is his war.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 37Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,265 Posts
    oh shit they broke part of the wall, now the zerg can get to the command center
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 196Zing x 4Agree x 1Winner x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    March 2007
    936 Posts
    NK is like the kid in school who would get in an argument and instead of resolving it would push the other kid and try to get them to throw the first punch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 59Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    POOP DICKS
    August 2008
    4,912 Posts
    What will happen if this does escalate?

35. Post #35
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    War.
    lots of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,586 Posts
    Hopefully it doesn't... but if it does, I can see North and South going at it, hopefully unassisted. If the US gets involved, things may get real ugly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 36Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    November 2010
    2,654 Posts
    [release]SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korea says it has scrambled F-16 fighter jets and returned fire after North Korea shot dozens of rounds of artillery onto a populated South Korean island near the countries' western border.

South Korea's YTN television says two people were injured, several houses were on fire and that shells were still falling on Yeonpyeong island. Yonhap news agency, quoting a military official, says four soldiers are wounded. The reports couldn't be immediately verified.

YTN says that between 1,200 and 1,300 people live in the island, citing an island resident. TV pictures showed black and white smoke rising from the island.
    http://www.kivitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13553887
    [/release]

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    June 2010
    7,068 Posts
    Does this mean World War III is about to happen?
    Right a rogue country with no notable allegiances with any strong countries is going to cause WW3

Edited:

Hopefully it doesn't... but if it does, I can see North and South going at it, hopefully unassisted. If the US gets involved, things may get real ugly.
    Yeah, for NK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    March 2010
    4,223 Posts
    Right a rogue country with no notable allegiances with any strong countries is going to cause WW3

Edited:

Yeah, for NK
    Stop being on the same side as me goddamn it, this is not how things are supposed to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 43Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    735 Posts
    On CNN now. Apparently all SK forces on highest alert.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)