1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,084 Posts

Torchlight is a third person 3D action RPG being developed by Runic Games that was released October 27, 2009.

The adventure is set in the mining settlement of Torchlight, a boomtown founded on the discovery of rich veins of Ember - a rare and mysterious ore with the power to enchant or corrupt all that it contacts. This corruptive power may have dire consequences however, and players set out into the nearby mountains and depths below to discover the full extent of Ember’s influence on the civilizations that have come before.

Players will choose from among three character classes, and venture from the safety of the town of Torchlight into randomly generated dungeon levels, with a huge variety of creepy monsters, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. The endless randomization ensures a long-lived gameplay experience.

The Torchlight MMO expands on virtually every aspect of gameplay. While maintaining the fast-paced Actiion RPG gameplay style, Torchlight will introduce many traditional MMO features and an expansive world. Like the other Perfect World-published MMOs, Torchlight will be “Free-To-Play.” Players can earn and spend money to upgrade a large variety of items to enhance their game play experience through an in-game item shop.

Published by Perfect World, the Torchlight MMO will offer a rich social environment where players can adventure together in a contiguous over world environment with many different dungeon types to explore. Populated by a diverse and colorful set of vendors, quest-givers, and town elders, players will learn about the rich lore and history of Torchlight and the surrounding Ember veins, and set off on quests and adventures that reveal the secrets, dangers, and long history of the magical substance.

The release date for the Torchlight MMO is yet to be determined.

[release] 1. Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
    2. Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
    3. Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
    4. Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
    5. Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
    6. Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
    7. Included Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by including an editor so our players can create and design their own content[/release]

[release]Interface
    There are three main panels in Torchlight: pet panel, enemy panel, and main panel. The pet panel lets you see your pet's health and control it's aggressiveness. The enemy panel tells you the type of monster you are fighting,also it's health, and it's level. The main panel contains all of your hotkeyed skills, your health and mana, and buttons to access the other interfaces.

The main panel contains your character's health, mana, stamina in the center and at the very bottom the experience bar. It also contains the hotkeys for your skills. You can assign skills to left-click, right-click, and the 1-0 buttons. 'e' and 'r' are used for health potions and mana potions respectively. You can also see buttons to access the other interfaces, such as inventory, character, and skills.

The pet panel shows your pet's health and mana. It also lets you control the pet's aggressiveness and access the pet's inventory. There are three aggressive modes that you can set your pet to: aggressive, defensive, and passive.

The enemy panel appears when you hover your mouse over an enemy. This panel shows the enemy's name/type, it's level, and it's health. [/release]
    [release]Skills
    In Torchlight, Skills are purchasable abilities and upgrades for your character. All classes have their own unique set of skills grouped into three "skill trees" for each class. As your character levels up and gains fame ranks, more powerful skills become available to purchase, as well as upgrades to current skills. Skills are purchased using "skill points" which are bestowed upon the character after an increase in level or fame. Characters may mix and match skills from all three skill trees within their class, but may not purchase skills from other class' skill trees.
    Skills come in two varieties: Active and Passive.

Active skills are skills that must be triggered by the player in order to function. these include most attacks,traps and some temporary buffs. Active skills generally consume mana in order to be triggered, and some have a cooldown, which means that after triggering the ability, the player must wait a certain amount of time before triggering the ability again.

The Alchemist has a special variety of Active skills, called Summons. The skill triggers, spawning a creature that fights for him. The creature remains in effect indefinitely (until dismissed or destroyed) but costs no additional Mana to use. Spells which summon creatures automatically dismiss the creature after a predetermined period of time.

Passive skills do not have to be triggered to be in effect, as they are always affecting the player from behind the scenes. Passive skills include most buffs and permanent improvements to stats. Passive skills do not consume mana and do not have cooldowns. All classes have access to all of the passive skills.[/release]
    [release]Shrines
    While adventuring under the town of Torchlight you may come across various magical shrines. Some are purely restorative in nature and when touched will restore your character's health or mana. While others can bestow various magical effects onto your character or their weapons, armour and trinkets.
    [list][*]Health Shrine [/list]Upon activating this shrine your character's health will instantly be fully restored.
    [list][*]Mana Shrine [/list]Upon activating this shrine your character's mana will instantly be fully restored.
    [list][*]Enchant Shrine [/list]Upon activating this shrine you will get a prompt to select an item you wish to enchant. Unlike the NPC in town who will enchant items for you, this shrine carries no cost, effectively letting you enchant an item for free. However, the shrine is rendered permanently inert afterward. [/release]
    [release]Classes
    Like most RPGs, you must choose your character's class before you can start bashing some monsters. Torchlight offers three class options to choose from: Alchemist, Destroyer, and Vanquisher.

All of the classes can be considered hybrid classes, meaning they can all use magic while still maintaining a unique role. Each class has its own skill tree containing 3 tabs and all classes have the ability to learn spells from scrolls found throughout the game.
    All of the classes have access to pets.

The alchemist is a classic magic using class who casts spells from a distance.
    The destroyer is a typical melee warrior-type class.
    The vanquisher is a hunter-type class that uses rifles and pistols. [/release]

[release]Pets
    Your character will be accompanied by a pet at all times. This pet will help you fight your enemies, carry items, and has the ability to go to town for you.

There are two basic types of pets that you can have: Wolf and Lynx.

Your pet has health, mana, and experience points just like your character. These are shown on the pet panel in the top left of the screen.

In addition to these, your pet has 3 different stances that control how your pet reacts to nearby enemies:

Aggressive:
    Pet will attack enemies on sight.
    Defensive:
    Pet will attack enemies when they attack you.
    Passive:
    Pet will not attack anything.

When your pet gets low on health, it will go into a fleeing behavior which makes it temporarily avoid confrontation until it is healed.

Your pet can be sent to town without you to sell everything in its inventory. It will take a brief period of time for your pet to make its way back to you, but when it returns, it will give you the sum total of whatever was in its inventory was worth. The Pet Mastery Passive Skill can reduce the amount of time it takes for your pet to head to town, sell your extra items, and return back to the dungeon.

To send your pet back to town, click on the icon on the right side of the upper left display of your pet's health and mana. The announcer will tell you, "Your pet has departed", as you watch your pet run off the screen. Below the pet display, a timer will appear and count down to zero. When zero is reached, you will receive a window message that stops play telling you how much gold your pet was able to sell your items for, and your pet will scamper back to you. [/release]

Wallpapers:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,192 Posts
    Fantastic game but sadly I haven't finished it since I made a character of every class and had way too much loot to manage and it just became a mess. Only bad thing was that it didn't have multiplayer and since Torchlight 2 will I can't wait for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Not worth buying now since Torchlight 2's been announced and it includes multiplayer.
    Although, the sequel may have considerably higher system reqs and may do everything wrong so who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,084 Posts
    It was worth 4€. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,481 Posts
    Well I bought it yesterday and I've found it well worth it. Loved it so far!
    The merchants completely rip me off though, sell something for ~70 gold, come back he's selling for ~1400
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

6. Post #6
    Puddin'
    November 2008
    10,371 Posts
    The merchants completely rip me off though, sell something for ~70 gold, come back he's selling for ~1400
    Yeah, I accidentally sold something I wanted to keep for later, and when I went to buy it back I couldn't afford it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,084 Posts
    Yeah, I accidentally sold something I wanted to keep for later, and when I went to buy it back I couldn't afford it.
    That really sucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,352 Posts
    Bought it yesterday and was glad to see it saved the progression I made from the demo so I was able to just load up and keep going forward instead of replaying from the beginning all over again.

9. Post #9
    March 2010
    4,000 Posts
    snip holy shit this is old and holy shit was i dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,481 Posts
    -snip, need to kill myself-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,108 Posts
    If anything its a rip-off of Diablo
    All fps games ripped off Doom!

Edited:

There are mods that fix stuff like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX
    June 2010
    2,194 Posts
    I played a bit today, I'm on Floor 23 I think in the Dungeons, at the Goblin Fortress.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    If anything its a rip-off of Diablo
    Rip off of Diablo by the makers of Diablo.
    Sweet.
    This game is good, can't wait for Torchlight 2, to fuck shit up with bros.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    With the point of imadaman's post, is it truly possible that people are so fucking stupid that they can walk into a thread that says "DEVELOPED BY RUNIC GAMES" near the top, then scroll straight down and post "RIPOFF DIABLO LOL"

God damnit.

15. Post #15
    Don't drunk i'm shoot!
    August 2010
    2,649 Posts
    Sorry for necro bumping this, but i thought more people should see this.

There is a person on the runic games forums, he created a co op mod that works pretty nicely and is released, check it out here and download it. http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtop...2680&start=140

Also, Torchlight two is supposed to be released next month along with co op, from what i've heard the limit for co op is 8 players but they say it's played best with 2 to 4 people, upwards of that is just a plain out mess.

Also they said the release for torchlight on xbox live arcade was halted a little because they had to redo the ui i believe

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,432 Posts
    With the point of imadaman's post, is it truly possible that people are so fucking stupid that they can walk into a thread that says "DEVELOPED BY RUNIC GAMES" near the top, then scroll straight down and post "RIPOFF DIABLO LOL"

God damnit.
    Well it wasn't called "Runic Games" when the Diablo games came out. It was Blizzard.

And we've got at least three companies now claiming to be "the makers of Diablo." There's Blizzard, who actually own the rights to Diablo, then there's Runic, who made Torchlight (and Fate too I think? If not then increase it to 4 companies), and then there's the people making Mythos, who I think also made Hellgate: London, which really sucked.

So apparently the people who made the original Diablo games split off into a hell of a lot of different companies, all of which are now using the label "makers of Diablo." Basically everyone who worked at Blizzard during Diablo's development considers himself one of its creators
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    Torchlight II next month? I do hope...

18. Post #18
    November 2010
    449 Posts
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14770

The "E3 Updates" has some links to gameplay... It looks really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    I honestly don't care or really want an MMO.

Edited:

Like, I know it's an RPG and it's Diablo and stuff - but just because it's a RPG and good doesn't mean it needs an MMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,663 Posts
    I honestly don't care or really want an MMO.

Edited:

Like, I know it's an RPG and it's Diablo and stuff - but just because it's a RPG and good doesn't mean it needs an MMO.
    Demons souls needs an MMO, this just needs multiplayer.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    Oh shit this thread again.
    Fuck yeah, I started Torchlight again the other day for fun, can't play it at the moment due to re-reading Transmetropolitan due to random events that shit down my neck.

23. Post #23
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    MY friend.

I already made a Torchlight Megathread.

Edited:

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/104...me.?highlight=
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    Your OP is really bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    748 Posts
    AND you made it AFTER this one was made.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,494 Posts
    I bought the game full price for it to go on sale for 75% off a few days later I might wait this time

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    Well the game could always be cheaper until it's free. So either just buy it when it comes out or buy it when it goes down in price.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    MY friend.

I already made a Torchlight Megathread.

Edited:

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/104...me.?highlight=
    My friend, your thread is inferior and late.

Now, after finally finishing Transmetropolitan again (:love:), I shall continue my adventures. Let's see if I can get to 2nd level before being interrupted.

29. Post #29
    January 2010
    2,264 Posts
    Torchlight 2 next month would be brilliant !

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    Fucking Game of Thrones distacting me from Torchlight
    :smithicide:

31. Post #31
    November 2010
    449 Posts
    I'm quite tempted to play this game again on Hardcore.

32. Post #32
    October 2009
    596 Posts
    Bought it on XBLA. Loved it. Completed it. Traded in my xbox.

Who else thought the loot was a bit confusing at times, and an utter mess the other 90%?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    Nope. It's easy to understand but you get a lot of it - but that comes with the genre.

34. Post #34
    October 2009
    596 Posts
    Nope. It's easy to understand but you get a lot of it - but that comes with the genre.
    I agree. You learn to live with it. But around lvl 19 dungeon, I just packed everything on my dog and sent it to the surface. Was getting tired of sorting everything.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    Yeah, it does get a little cumbersome

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    I hope the pet companion is more competent. My pet does unnoticeable damage and just gets wailed on and then runs around like a retard only to recover, get hit once and then repeat.

37. Post #37
    November 2010
    449 Posts

38. Post #38
    Gold Member

December 2006
    119 Posts
    http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-pl...ght_ii20110629

Thats the "non-asia" version lol. So happy about this game coming out! Its gunna be amazing, specially being able to play mods online also. I can see so many good things coming to this game. Even when the game dies, people will be able to make mods to keep it going!

Edit: I figured I'd like to add this.... "online" mod for people to take a look at.

For it to work, you only need an IP of someone's game and should work. It has before for me.

Torchlight 1 Online Mod: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12680

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,229 Posts
    I and my friend installed that mod, but there was no button when we launched the game. Any idea why?

40. Post #40
    August 2010
    1,544 Posts
    Bought it yesterday and was glad to see it saved the progression I made from the demo so I was able to just load up and keep going forward instead of replaying from the beginning all over again.
    Darn it, I deleted the demo. I guess I'm going to have to start over.