1. Post #41
    I'm dumb! You don't have an excuse!
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    :siren::woop::woop::woop::siren:

Logic Supply just got back to me, they've removed the motherboard from my order and released it from backorder status. It should ship by the end of the day, get here by Wednesday or Thursday. Now I can order the motherboard itself from another supplier and it will get here maybe Thursday or Friday.

:siren::woop::woop::woop::siren:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Stop spamming the :woop: emoticon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Sure, sure, go ahead and ruin the one good moment I've had in the past week :froggonk:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Harsh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    So... are you just going to glue to the inside of the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive? Or find do you have some sort of contraption capable of mounting a pico mobo.

6. Post #46
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    I ordered a hardware kit from the place that sells the mobo. It should have most of the screws I need. For the HDD I also ordered an HDD mounting bracket that I can mount to the case. I need more parts to get here before I can do any planning, though.

7. Post #47
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    I ordered a hardware kit from the place that sells the mobo. It should have most of the screws I need. For the HDD I also ordered an HDD mounting bracket that I can mount to the case. I need more parts to get here before I can do any planning, though.
    You suppose to do the planning BEFORE you buy the part
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Regardless of how I assemble it I will need the parts I ordered. And I have a rough idea of how it will come together, it's not like I'm just gonna hot glue all the parts in and call it a day. I will probably glue standoffs to the bottom/top of the HDD mount bracket and put the motherboard on those, since it and the hard drive are the same size.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    I find it easier to actually have the parts out infront of me when I plan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #50
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    So this is nice. I've been trying for the past three hours to install Xubuntu to my hard drive. First I tried a LiveCD and managed to fuck burning that up. Then I tried Wubi to install it and now it's just saying it cannot find the iso. What the hell? I'm giving it one more shot.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,878 Posts
    Just burn a new live cd.

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,201 Posts
    Burn at the lowest speed possible and verify written data if the software you're using allows that.

13. Post #53
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    PROGRESS! Got it to boot from a new CD I burned, now it won't recognize either of my hard drives and demands I connect to the internet. Since I have a wireless card, I don't know how I'm supposed to do the latter, and I don't know anything about the former.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    PROGRESS! Got it to boot from a new CD I burned, now it won't recognize either of my hard drives and demands I connect to the internet. Since I have a wireless card, I don't know how I'm supposed to do the latter, and I don't know anything about the former.
    Why don't you just put Windows XP MCE 05 on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Why don't you just put Windows XP MCE 05 on it.
    Because I want to use it as a nettop more than a media center.

Edited:

And I don't like windows media center all that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Because I want to use it as a nettop more than a media center.

Edited:

And I don't like windows media center all that much.
    Ah, now I understand. I was not quite sure what you were doing with it in the first place. I hope Xubuntu works out for you.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    Mac, sir, you inspire me.
    But hey, maybe I didn't read it well, but does it have WiFi?
    I saw a ITX with n one time, and making a tiny HTPC is a long-coming dream. :3:

18. Post #58
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Mac, sir, you inspire me.
    But hey, maybe I didn't read it well, but does it have WiFi?
    I saw a ITX with n one time, and making a tiny HTPC is a long-coming dream. :3:
    yes, I am using a USB dongle for WiFi.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,109 Posts
    can you put up some new pictures

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Yes, pictures would be great.

21. Post #61
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    I will get you pics as soon as my father gets home. Unfortunately all our digital cameras are either broken or take CompactFlash cards, which we do not have a reader for. Dad has an iPhone 4, which can take good pictures and get them to my computer as well.

:siren:MOTHERBOARD HAS ARRIVED:siren:

Unfortunately, my motherboard did NOT come with the I/O card board thingy it was supposed to. If the I/O module I ordered from Logic Supply doesn't fit it, then I have to send the mobo back to E-ITX and get a new one. The logic supply shipment should be here in a couple hours.

Edited:

So the Serener I/O module from Logic Supply is not compatible with the P820 motherboard. It might be possible to jump the wires over, but I would rather get a replacement from E-ITX instead, so I have e-mailed them. besides that one bit, I have everything I need to fire it up.

22. Post #62
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    I fail. The I/O card thingy that it is supposed to come with is the USB/VGA/HDMI/Ethernet port assembly on the card. Which it does have. Now that I have read the owners manual, I know which pins are the power switch pins and can jump them with ease. As soon as I find a VGA cable (Live in an all Mac house and you'll understand why it's so hard to find one), I can fire it up and start installing Xubuntu on it.

Edited:

Also, this should make Odellus happy. Apparently the 60w AC/DC adapter it comes with is made by Seasonic.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    I fail. The I/O card thingy that it is supposed to come with is the USB/VGA/HDMI/Ethernet port assembly on the card. Which it does have. Now that I have read the owners manual, I know which pins are the power switch pins and can jump them with ease. As soon as I find a VGA cable (Live in an all Mac house and you'll understand why it's so hard to find one), I can fire it up and start installing Xubuntu on it.

Edited:

Also, this should make Odellus happy. Apparently the 60w AC/DC adapter it comes with is made by Seasonic.
    :iia: Thats great, you have 60w of reliable power.

24. Post #64
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Well it runs. Now I have figured out how I can adapt the pin headers to something I can use with the Serener I/O module. But I need some help. I have been trying hard to find a single pin male to single pin female pin header thing. I need to translate the wiring on this motherboard to the I/O module manually, and I would rather not have to use a 1mm soldering iron. Like the headers that some case front panels have. You would not believe how much of a pain it is to find any headers besides USB with a 2mm pitch. Far easier to work with what I have. So if anyone can find me single pin header cables, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Either that or the front panel unit from a VIA Artigo 1100.

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    I don't know what witchcraft it is what you talk about, but I hope everything ends ok. I'm really interested in this project :shobon:

26. Post #66
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    I don't know what witchcraft it is what you talk about, but I hope everything ends ok. I'm really interested in this project :shobon:
    Well it's simple. A lot of front panels on cases use connectors that only connect to one pin on the motherboard at a time in case your motherboard has a wierd pin arrangement. I need a bunch of those so I can connect the pin headers on my motherboard to the I/O daughterboard I got. I have the pin-out wiring for both the mobo and the dabo, now I just need some of the pin header thingies so I can wire it pin by pin to the daughter board.

Edited:

AHA! It lives, running Windows 7(same copy as my desktop)! Seems fairly snappy, but neither the VIA drivers for anything nor the drivers for the USB wireless dongle installed for it, so I couldn't connect to the internet to get correct drivers. I'm taking it to school tomorrow. They have a copy of XP I can use as well as lots of ethernet cables hooked up to switches for student laptops, so I should be able to get all the drivers I need. I can also probably bum a VGA cable off of them, too :buddy:

27. Post #67
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Posting from my mean lean pico machine :smugdog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,109 Posts
    come on man pictures, especially since you're done now

29. Post #69
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    come on man pictures, especially since you're done now
    Up in five minutes

Edited:

iPHONE WOO!

Yes, that is a quarter. A FUCKING QUARTER!

Motherboard in top right, HDD snug in its mount bottom right, DVD drive on the left with its *shudder* ribbon cable :barf:

Whole ensamble compared to a standard desktop keyboard. :pcgaming:

Edited:

:smugdog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,109 Posts
    so when are you planning on actually putting this into the DVD drive

31. Post #71
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    so when are you planning on actually putting this into the DVD drive
    Once I get some pin header thingies so I can get front panel audio and power button and LED.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Thanks for the pictures. I'm totally going to build one of those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,996 Posts
    Awesome idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    So I got a monitor worthy of such a penultimate computer. Found it in the garage, couple years old. It's a Dell UltraSharp something, I think it's 24" 1920x1200. Tried playing Half Life on it, it got most of the way through the opening sequence at ~10fps then crashed. About to try Judge Dredd: Dredd versus Death on it, might go better. I think it may be torture for the poor Chrome9, though, to run anything at this resolution.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    So I got a monitor worthy of such a penultimate computer. Found it in the garage, couple years old. It's a Dell UltraSharp something, I think it's 24" 1920x1200. Tried playing Half Life on it, it got most of the way through the opening sequence at ~10fps then crashed. About to try Judge Dredd: Dredd versus Death on it, might go better. I think it may be torture for the poor Chrome9, though, to run anything at this resolution.
    Why in the fuck do you have a 24" UltraSharp sitting in your garage, unused?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #76
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Why in the fuck do you have a 24" UltraSharp sitting in your garage, unused?
    A very good question indeed. But I think it would be best just to accept this particular gift and not question it.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    A very good question indeed. But I think it would be best just to accept this particular gift and not question it.
    :wtc: If I had a UltraSharp 24" monitor I'd put it to use instantly.

38. Post #78
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    :wtc: If I had a UltraSharp 24" monitor I'd put it to use instantly.
    Don't worry, I am. My previous primary monitor was a Samsung Syncmaster 720, 19" 1280x1024. I am going to use this one as my primary now and put the Samsung to secondary so I have tons more space to model. Plus it allows me to watch modeling lessons without alt+tabbing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Don't worry, I am. My previous primary monitor was a Samsung Syncmaster 720, 19" 1280x1024. I am going to use this one as my primary now and put the Samsung to secondary so I have tons more space to model. Plus it allows me to watch modeling lessons without alt+tabbing.
    Great news, I'm jealous. I hate this stupid 1440x900 dual monitor setup.

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    I never heard of UltraSharp 24" monitors. What's special about them? :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)