1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    Let's see how this ends, because the skyline ending was sort of a cliffhanger.

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,670 Posts
    Let's see how this ends, because the skyline ending was a rotten cherry on a shit smoothie
    Fixed that for you.

Edited:

I have high hopes for this, the military doesn't seem to be pants on head retarded, and the aliens sure seem intelligent enough (everything seems pretty plausible, down to the materials their weapons/armor is seemingly made from.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,008 Posts
    To me it just seems plausible that aliens would be more machine than organic since being machine like would fix so many issues organics face. I still don't see why a machine based race would need to come to a populated planet and kill everything when space is full of empty worlds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,576 Posts
    I am thinking that the aliens we see in the trailer are just combat drones for the real invading/colonization force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

6. Post #86
    April 2008
    518 Posts
    To me it just seems plausible that aliens would be more machine than organic since being machine like would fix so many issues organics face. I still don't see why a machine based race would need to come to a populated planet and kill everything when space is full of empty worlds.
    maybe they the just and advanced scout told to clear out all life off the face of a planet. Since the aliens don't know or don't care since machines don't value life the way we do. Also I think the end of the move is either we push back the alien threat or the survivors on earth somehow hijack and alien craft and leave earth and look for a planet to colonize for their own. Next movie they found a planet to colonize and are preparing to use it a front against the aliens and to take back earth or some bullshit like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #87
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    January 2007
    2,683 Posts
    Maybe this is just a massive show of force to cull some of the population, frighten the shit out of them etc, so it makes enslaving or w/e easier later on. Eg, Combine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    December 2010
    294 Posts
    I'm really hyped for this movie, looks like a logical and balanced alien invasion movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

9. Post #89
    October 2009
    804 Posts
    It looks like we get THE SHIT kicked out of us, and thats the logical outcome of such a scenario. Im hoping for an unhappy ending personally, I wanna see a last and huge struggle only to see us fail and be destroyed (in the film of course).

Would make a good ending, and make a change from all the usual 'Incredibly advanced race is beating down on us, all hope is lost, wait, the germs got em' type scenarios.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,257 Posts
    Is it me, but do some of those alien ships look like the ones from half life 2?

ex: http://images.wikia.com/half-life/en...e_Dropship.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    860 Posts
    While it would probably be more interesting, I don't think it's gonna be an unhappy ending, if you listen to the comic con interview about this, the whole point of the movie was a black and white good vs evil, humanity united against something bad story, there's enough doom and gloom in the world, I really don't want to leave the theater feeling defeated.

Honestly I hope they leave the ending ambiguous.

I'm extremely hyped for this movie either way, looks like ID4 meets black hawk down, I've always wanted to see a movie where we at least have a chance of winning without the help of germs or awkward Jewish men from new york, and I think that's what we got here, while the enemy is advanced they're not insanely advanced, like war of the worlds, looks like their ground droops don't deal with M16s very well.

I am curious though as to weather or not the enemy troops in the movie are the actual aliens, or if they're some kind of like robotic drone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,122 Posts
    Especially since Earth's only notable feature is life. We don't have anything that can't be found in higher amounts on lifeless planets all around us.

On topic if aliens could easily destroy humanity: If they can fly thousands of light years to get to Earth they have much more advanced technology than we do. The war between the aliens and us would be like humans 10000 years ago against us now, maybe even worse.
    Of course that would be a shitty movie. There are two options to make it interesting again: Either base it in the future when humanity stands a chance (more awesome) or make the aliens magically weaker (like in War of the Worlds or Independence Day; not quite as awesome).

That said, I can't wait to see this movie!

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Especially since Earth's only notable feature is life. We don't have anything that can't be found in higher amounts on lifeless planets all around us.
    Energy source? Stable orbit? Maybe they admire the aesthetic value? Motives don't count for this kind of movie. All that matters is the battle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,122 Posts
    Energy source? Stable orbit? Maybe they admire the aesthetic value? Motives don't count for this kind of movie. All that matters is the battle.
    We don't have any energy sources but the sun which is as average of an star as it can get. They destroy everything, so it's not the aesthetic value. And any science fiction/alien invasion movie gets automatically much better when it's plausible. Not many sci-fi or invasion movies try to be realistic though (looking at you Star Wars! Space worms are ridiculous and stupid :argh:).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,862 Posts
    :/ Do you really think this?
    The universe is 14 Billion years old.
    Earth is 4 Billion years old. In 2000 years we went from not knowing what the planets were to being able to walk on them. Even if we were off by 100 years, imagine taking today's technologies, (railguns, beam weapons, tactical nukes, microwaves) and waging war on someone in WWI, 1917. We would decimate them. A small army armed with modern weapons could single handedly take on every single WWI country's military might combined.

Even a gap of 100 years of technological advancement could throw the odds off drastically, and we're talking about a century. Imagine if another civilization had been started a whole 1 Billion years ago. We would be dead before we knew what was going on.

Edited:

If anything, this is unrealistic because humans even have a chance at fighting back.
    Uh, no. It's unrealistic because the idea of coming in contact with another species physically is almost slim to none.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,225 Posts
    We don't have any energy sources but the sun which is as average of an star as it can get. They destroy everything, so it's not the aesthetic value. And any science fiction/alien invasion movie gets automatically much better when it's plausible. Not many sci-fi or invasion movies try to be realistic though (looking at you Star Wars! Space worms are ridiculous and stupid :argh:).
    What if we have some resource that they don't have in abundance. Think Pandora here, wherein earth is full of delicious alien unobtanium (I dunno...clay.) and they want it bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    860 Posts
    I had read in some interview that they want the water, if you noticed they're almost always around water, water landings, swimming pools, etc, in the trailer you see what looks like an egg in a flooded building

that's my guess anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,794 Posts
    Despite the fact that you probably don't know enough about minerals to make such a claim, I'm gonna ignore that and simply refute with one word.

Water.

Edited:

Bah, beaten by one post.

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2007
    4,091 Posts
    It's dumb to look for planets to get resources. If you can control a star you can get it to produce all the elements you need.

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,794 Posts
    Uh, no. It's unrealistic because the idea of coming in contact with another species physically is almost slim to none.
    Is that assuming FTL travel is impossible and simply looking at the statistics of 2 races developing relatively near each other on a galactic scale? Because if not, I don't see what's so impossible about it.

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,862 Posts
    I didn't say it was impossible. It's almost slim to none, physically. The first contact with any other sentient life form would most likely be through radio waves, and even then, a slim chance.

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,794 Posts
    You know what is practically impossible - is a species suddenly attacking a home-world, and the home-world's denizens fighting off the invasion.

Why you ask?

If an alien species attacks you, they have achieved IGST/FTL travel, and are very advanced. If you don't see it coming, then you do not have any satellite planets (Satellite in the same way that several European countries were satellites of Russia during the cold war), and you only have the home-world that you live on. Which means you have at best achieved inefficient space travel. By inefficient I mean our level of space travel; technically we can do it, but not to any real purpose. If an alien species that technologically advanced attacks one that's about as advanced as us or less, there's no way we can win. Whatsoever. Even if some cop-out bullshit is pulled like the germs in war of the worlds, they could just glass the planet from low earth orbit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,862 Posts
    And either way, who says they'd go apeshit and try to destroy us?

Edited:

You know what is practically impossible - is a species suddenly attacking a home-world, and the home-world's denizens fighting off the invasion.

Why you ask?

If an alien species attacks you, they have achieved IGST/FTL travel, and are very advanced. If you don't see it coming, then you do not have any satellite planets (Satellite in the same way that several European countries were satellites of Russia during the cold war), and you only have the home-world that you live on. Which means you have at best achieved inefficient space travel. By inefficient I mean our level of space travel; technically we can do it, but not to any real purpose. If an alien species that technologically advanced attacks one that's about as advanced as us or less, there's no way we can win. Whatsoever. Even if some cop-out bullshit is pulled like the germs in war of the worlds, they could just glass the planet from low earth orbit.
    Why are you droning on about crap everybody already knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Even if some cop-out bullshit is pulled like the germs in war of the worlds, they could just glass the planet from low earth orbit.

yes but then it defeats the whole purpose of them attacking us

they obviously want something if they're risking their own lives, so glassing the place wouldn't give them any benefit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    August 2010
    530 Posts
    And either way, who says they'd go apeshit and try to destroy us?

Edited:

Why are you droning on about crap everybody already knows.
    Let the guy talk, I think this is a pretty interesting discussion, even if it's all fiction/hypothetical/not very realistic.

These movies don't come around often enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    yes but then it defeats the whole purpose of them attacking us

they obviously want something if they're risking their own lives, so glassing the place wouldn't give them any benefit.
    Unless they're xenocidal maniacs.

All I want is an open military conflict between humans and aliens. I'm all for strong, original plots, but to be honest, I just want a well executed war movie, with all that corny heroic crap and such. Think ID4 but as everybody thought it was going to be. A gritty, military-centric, lightly-shakycam based view of soldiers fighting through what might very well be the twilight of humanity.

Think Saving Private Ryan + ID4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,862 Posts
    Let the guy talk, I think this is a pretty interesting discussion, even if it's all fiction/hypothetical/not very realistic.

These movies don't come around often enough
    No, he's completely right about the aliens decimating us I'm not denying that. It's the idea of coming in contact with sentient life in the near future physically.

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Unless they're xenocidal maniacs.
    it clearly says in the second trailer "in order to get the resources, you must remove the indigenous population." or something of that sort.

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,369 Posts
    it clearly says in the second trailer "in order to get the resources, you must remove the indigenous population." or something of that sort.
    That's some random guy though who is just making an guess/assumption. They might just be suicidal and crazy in general.

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #111
    October 2009
    804 Posts
    I had read in some interview that they want the water, if you noticed they're almost always around water, water landings, swimming pools, etc, in the trailer you see what looks like an egg in a flooded building

that's my guess anyway.
    Was thinking the same thing, we have a lot of water on this planet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,008 Posts
    Was thinking the same thing, we have a lot of water on this planet.
    There is water on Mars and on the Moon. Obviously water is not rare as hydrogen and oxygen are prevalent everywhere in space, any advanced society could easily combine them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    I stand by it, The_Marine. Not late.

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,122 Posts
    Despite the fact that you probably don't know enough about minerals to make such a claim, I'm gonna ignore that and simply refute with one word.

Water.
    Tons of other planets have water, just not in liquid form.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,982 Posts
    November? But that's like 11 months away :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Its comes out in 2 months, what are you talking about?

Oh wait, you are using the European date system. Here we use Month/Day/Year.

Its because of our sentence structure, March 3rd, 2011. Not 3rd of March, 2011.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,229 Posts
    This is the first movie in ages that I've actually been excited about, if it sucks balls I will cry :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #118
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,075 Posts
    Another thought is they acutally don't know what they are there for. Maybe they think they are there for the resources but acutually there just to cause havoc.

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,670 Posts
    Yeah they're robots.

The "armor" terminates at the knee, and the arms are way too skinny to contain actual squishy arms. They look pretty cool in a side-view however.

Edit: Oh wow I'm late, didn't know there's a picture of this exact scene on like the first page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,514 Posts
    Could be aliens in exoskeletons, never know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)