14,820 Posts
    Yeah I wanted to see it high too

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,732 Posts
    Saw it last night.

Overall not a bad movie, but not great.
    I kind of feel like they could have cut out the scene where the Staff Sergeant was talking to the kid and stuck a "USMC JOIN NOW" thing at the end and used it as an ad for the Marines due to the whole "Marines never quit, Marines never give up, Marines marines marines marines" spiel he went on. The tearjerker moments were pretty false but I didn't go to it expecting much.

Other than that, some pretty slow moments and over-the-top camera shake. I liked it, but some stuff could have been done better.

7/10 I guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,307 Posts
    I was doubtful about how bad this movie could be...then I saw part of it.

It has not only the "guy looking around for alien- then, surprise, the alien is suddenly behind him" scene but also has the "alien has been shot dead so everyone stands around talking- then, surprise, the alien leaps up alive after all" scene.

That's not Syfy original incompetent bad, that's just lazy even for a sci-fi action movie bad. It really is an insult to the audience, the moviemakers are saying "we're gonna serve you generic shit and you'll enjoy it".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts

I really thought my use of 'z' when saying skills gave it away.
    i had just read an article on film production before I wrote that and was looking for an excuse to slap people in the face with my giant throbbing cock of knowledge

5. Post #485
    March 2011
    1,002 Posts
    Saw the movie yesterday with my cousin. It was an ok movie. Not the best Science Fiction flick. It has its ups and downs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #486
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    762 Posts
    Saw this when it came out. Not going to win any oscars by any means, but its a strong sci-fi And action flick. I went in expecting to see angry marines shouting and shooting at aliens and that's what I got. On top of that I got a thin layer of backstory, an ounce of plot, and a sort of alien not explored in any sci-fi films I've ever seen. ( Foot soldiers as opposed to omnipotent super-soldiers. )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #487
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    It was cool, glad I saw it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    Seeing this on Thursday, and that comes before Friday, so I'll set my calender.

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,667 Posts
    Just saw it, and I actually didn't mind it. I enjoyed myself and felt I got my moneys worth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,268 Posts
    I liked it. There was a sense that the marines were fucked and there was no way they were going to win but all the aliens had over them was the element of surprise, higher HP, and drones.

I loved the part where the chick gets alien goop all over her face because the black marine said exactly what we were all thinking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #491
    SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX
    June 2010
    2,193 Posts
    Watched Rango yesterday, and I watched this and "Paul" today, got to watch 3 good movies for free! I thought it was quite good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #492
    October 2010
    331 Posts
    I loved this movie, the pacing was perfect in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #493
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Well that's because it never let up

there was no pace at all

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,218 Posts
    I like that it never let up, it really set an atmosphere of desperation and exhaustion that the Marines were going through.

A lot like Black Hawk Down to me. Great movie, but you leave the theater exhausted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #495
    March 2011
    104 Posts
    funny when they are searching for survivors and they just shout 'US MARINES! US MARINES! US MARINES!' very loud lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,575 Posts
    funny when they are searching for survivors and they just shout 'US MARINES! US MARINES! US MARINES!' very loud lol
    I assume that's what they would actually do when searching for civilians to extract from a combat zone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,218 Posts
    They weren't just searching, they were clearing rooms.

Barging in a door unannounced would have a terrible ending if someone was waiting behind it with a shotgun, scared for their life. It'd be important for them to constantly be identifying themselves as they clear a building they know has weaponry around for civilians to grab.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,392 Posts
    It wasn't that bad, but got close to being borderline lame thanks to some really laughably stupid lines ('I'm a veternarian' :laffo:) and stupidly pointless drama-llama.

But I really like that they actually gave and showed the aliens motives for invading. That was nice.
    6/10

19. Post #499
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,412 Posts
    This movie isn't out in Finland yet. Going to watch it when it comes.

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    Obvious advertisment for the army. Aliens were Nazis though. But whether or not, it did have a good explanation why they crashed on earth. And not just random aliens fucking everything up for no reason.

I want a movie like V and the tv series    Yes I realise, in the Battle LA movie they were after the water   . Where human and alien meet and greet until some humans fuck everything up for a alliance, and they go to war. But some human and aliens do join forces to try and find a way to settle peace between them.

But overall, it was a good movie, but nearly fell asleep, maybe because of those damn comfy chairs.

Or how Michelle's character is always the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #501
    I wished there was more of a role for the armoured units and air combat. And I wished they hadn't focused on 1 squad of people, but rather, the US marines as a whole. Good, but wasn't as good as what I had expected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,086 Posts
    Went to go see this today. T'was, one of the best films I have seen all year!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    I like how the alien ship transforms into that building thing. Or contraption. whatever you call it. Hope you know what I mean.

24. Post #504
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    860 Posts
    I wished there was more of a role for the armoured units and air combat. And I wished they hadn't focused on 1 squad of people, but rather, the US marines as a whole. Good, but wasn't as good as what I had expected.
    it would be pretty hard to focus on the military as a whole, there wouldn't be any characters, everyone would be just an expendable grunt, no one wants to watch masses of generic soldiers fighting masses of generic aliens, there's no one to root for,

as for armored and air combat, I would've liked to see more tank action, you don't usually see tanks fighting aliens, but I'm glad there wasn't much air combat, since most alien invasion movies are 2 hours of F-18s shooting at flying saucers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,923 Posts
    Saw it a couple hours ago and it's pretty damn awesome.

26. Post #506
    February 2005
    130 Posts
    I'll summarize my impression of the movie in two sentences: It's a great movie for fans of action and war movies. It's a bad movie for fans of science fiction.

I loved the action, atmosphere, and tension in the movie. My only problem was the aliens. They were alien in appearance only and were strategically incompetent. There was nothing foreign about the way the aliens structured their forces or behaved. It seemed like the movie producers simply took a human military force, replace it with aliens, and changed nothing in their behavior.

Strategically speaking, the aliens were retarded. Why do they need liquid water? (The line about Earth being the only place in the universe with liquid water is false). Can they not melt ice or condense vapor? Why only attack the coast lines? Why send in ground forces before establishing air support? (That's a strategic no-no). Why send in ground forces at all? Why waste so many resources on an invasion? Why didn't they wipe out humanity from orbit? Why didn't they design their drones to be autonomous in the event the command and control center was destroyed? Did they not have a contingency plan?

Of course, the aliens had to be that way in order for the protagonists to win, I get that. My only point is that this movie works great as an action flick, but not as science fiction. I find picking apart movies just as enjoyable as watching them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #507
    May 2009
    754 Posts
    I'll summarize my impression of the movie in two sentences: It's a great movie for fans of action and war movies. It's a bad movie for fans of science fiction.

I loved the action, atmosphere, and tension in the movie. My only problem was the aliens. They were alien in appearance only and were strategically incompetent. There was nothing foreign about the way the aliens structured their forces or behaved. It seemed like the movie producers simply took a human military force, replace it with aliens, and changed nothing in their behavior.

Strategically speaking, the aliens were retarded. Why do they need liquid water? (The line about Earth being the only place in the universe with liquid water is false). Can they not melt ice or condense vapor? Why only attack the coast lines? Why send in ground forces before establishing air support? (That's a strategic no-no). Why send in ground forces at all? Why waste so many resources on an invasion? Why didn't they wipe out humanity from orbit? Why didn't they design their drones to be autonomous in the event the command and control center was destroyed? Did they not have a contingency plan?

Of course, the aliens had to be that way in order for the protagonists to win, I get that. My only point is that this movie works great as an action flick, but not as science fiction. I find picking apart movies just as enjoyable as watching them.
    My movie going mate tells me to STFU when I pick apart a movie we just watched.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #508
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I was thinking this all the time I was watching it

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,184 Posts
    Saw it a week ago, felt like i was watching crysis 2 combined with world in conflict and generation kill.

30. Post #510
    September 2010
    1,852 Posts
    Just watched it, best movie of the century.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,113 Posts
    Best army ad ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,376 Posts
    I watched this movie with some friends, me, being the science fiction lover I am, absolutely detested and tore apart this movie as I was watching it. It became a comedy to me really, because at the same time there just happened to be two physics teachers sitting behind us tearing it apart except with more intellectual input.

Notable quotes from the movie
    "[as the trained doctor tries to examine an alien a civilian women strikes a remark] Maybe I can help!... I'm a veterinarian"
    "This alien is like nothing i've ever seen before!" (to which I responded very loudly : No shit!)
    “I need you to be strong…you’re my little Marine now.”

Also, in the beginning of the movie It took a whole squad of marines and one grenade to take out one alien, towards the end of it, everybody became crack shots at hundreds of yards away under suppressive fire and pressure from the opposing side and took each one down with #<5 hits.
    Also, the aliens are here for water? because 'it isn't found in liquid form on any other planet'? Wait, so you're telling me, that these aliens, the ones with jet thrusters hot enough to melt the metal off a bus simply by grazing over it, smart enough to travel through space, can't melt Ice?

Also i'm not really sure what happened at the end of the movie because someone told me I slept through it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    12,704 Posts
    I can't believe this movie was made into a game. :frog:
    http://i.imgur.com/f9B0f.jpg
    Edited:

not my screenshot, but "press E to aim" got me laughin hard

34. Post #514
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Looks like somebody took a screenshot of cod and shopped aliens in

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,174 Posts
    Or you can say it's COD mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #516
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I think I died a little inside

37. Post #517
    August 2010
    744 Posts
    Great, My buddy made me watch "battle of los angeles" with him, released in march 2011 and me believing it was this film was dissapointed,

Why is there two films of the same concepts released same month?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #518
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts
    Great, My buddy made me watch "battle of los angeles" with him, released in march 2011 and me believing it was this film was dissapointed,

Why is there two films of the same concepts released same month?
    well one's a crappy film, and one's a straight to dvd ripoff capitalising off the name of said crappy film

39. Post #519
    August 2010
    744 Posts
    well one's a crappy film, and one's a straight to dvd ripoff capitalising off the name of said crappy film
    So, Battle: Los Angeles isnt worth watching?

40. Post #520
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,113 Posts

I should see one of their movies.