1. Post #361
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,341 Posts
    I thought it was pretty good. I didn't go in expecting an amazing plot, but it kept me entertained throughout the whole thing. And yes, some bits seemed incredibly cliche.

I'm not too concerned about the back story of the aliens, since, we mainly follow that group of marines through the entire movie, and is more like a 3rd person limited perspective. We are given some reason's possibly why they are there in the news clips, but that's about it, they never really communicate with the aliens and the aliens didn't seem so interested in reasoning either.

I gave it a 7/10. It reminds me a lot of Independence Day though (although maybe not as over the top and silly). Even down to the "we found their weakness, relay it to all other countries".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #362
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,626 Posts
    Just went to see this movie, I got about halfway through and I was actually quite into it, I thought it was pretty good.
    Then the fucking theater I was in caught on fire.
    Oh well, I got a courtesy pass so I can go see it again free of charge. Hopefully next time goes a little better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #363
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,938 Posts
    I liked some of the little details put into the film. During the highway scene an alien gets shot in the arm causing it to hold it and find cover. Little things like that make the aliens seem intelligent, when most films make them out to be stupid. But then they ruin it by making them    have a huge ship that can be brought down by a single missile causing them to lose the entire war.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #364
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,869 Posts
    Oh god this movie was funny, like the effects were really cool but the lines and script was so cliché.

People were probably pissed that me and my pals were laughing so hard, especially at these parts
    (Adding spoiler tags not really needed but fuck it)

When the team found that dead alien and were going to check it out and that lady jumped in and said she was veterinarian    

Also when the dude was shot and the marine holds up a strip on tinfoil and says take this it will warm you up.    
    A lot of people in the theater laughed at the jokes in the movie where I was. There was even an applauding moment when    Michelle Rodriguez's character shoots the alien and says, "EW, I GOT THAT GROSS SHIT ALL OVER MY MOUTH," and the black guy said something like, "Don't you always do that on the first date?" Everyone loved that.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,427 Posts
    A lot of people in the theater laughed at the jokes in the movie where I was. There was even an applauding moment when    Michelle Rodriguez's character shoots the alien and says, "EW, I GOT THAT GROSS SHIT ALL OVER MY MOUTH," and the black guy said something like, "Don't you always do that on the first date?" Everyone loved that.   
    Gross shit comment is 100% confirmed true.

6. Post #366
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,341 Posts
    I don't think there was a single person in our theater that didn't laugh at that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,441 Posts
    I went to the theaters expecting a movie with human on alien warfare and explosions, and I left pleased
    I'm probably going to get this when it comes out on DVD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #368
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,333 Posts
    I really enjoyed it. The little details, like the reactions and body language from the aliens, the short moments of badass-ness throughout...

Excellent film in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,736 Posts
    Do both the humans and aliens behave like competent military forces, as we theorized before this movie came out?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #370
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,341 Posts
    Do both the humans and aliens behave like competent military forces, as we theorized before this movie came out?
    In my honest opinion, they both do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #371
    July 2007
    13,869 Posts
    I'm going to buy this movie on Blu-Ray when it releases.

Edited:

They do, and very well too. I hated how most alien invasion films have the aliens just stand there and eat the bullets without any reaction and eventually die. All the aliens in Battle LA react to the shots and do run into cover.    Also the theorized idea that the aliens are centered mainly around water is true too.   

Also a fun little trivia fact.

The film is inspired by the real life incident known as the Battle of Los Angeles, during World War II. On the night of 24-25 February 1942, unidentified aircraft were allegedly spotted in the airspace above Los Angeles. Suspecting it to be the Japanese, a blackout of the city was ordered and over 1,440 rounds of anti-aircraft ammunition was fired. Upon finding no evidence of the existence of any enemy aircraft, the incident was declared to be a "false alarm". The event has since been chalked up to as being a result of "war nerves", likely triggered by a lost weather balloon and exacerbated by stray flares and shell bursts from adjoining anti-aircraft batteries.
    At least the title is now clever instead of plain bad.

And a little thing about the release date.

The movie will be released on 03/11/11. 0311 is the Marine Corps Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) for Infantry Riflemen.
    Edited:

The game is the best shit ever

-images-

tee hee hee
    You can sum up the game very quickly.

Q: How is the Battle: Los Angeles video game?
    A: Michelle Rodriguez in the movie.

Michelle Rodriquez in the game.

P.S. This is on maximum detail, folks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #372
    Appreciates Subtle Titles
    April 2009
    6,789 Posts
    Saw it yesterday, and HOLY S*** THE FIRST HALF WAS INTENSE. The very beginning when they're    in that cloud of smoke    was so freakin' tense. They also did a good job with their "cheap jumper scares" because they had them happen at the most random times. For instance in that same scene    when the dog comes out and they start taking fire in the middle of a sentence.   

It wasn't a Sci-Fi movie as much as a war movie. A very very intense war movie.

I liked the little details.    It seemed like the aliens were squid-ish aquatic aliens adapted to our environment. They had bipedal robot suits to mimic our method of movement in this gravity. It seemed that they were extremely desperate to get our water, too, as all their tech seemed rusty and ramshackle. The drone they take down at the gas station had engies that were all "pt-pt-pt-fshhhhhhhh" and were coming on and off, like it would break any moment.   

Edited:

Oh, and they made the aliens seem very real. I actually felt kind of bad for them a few times, the same way you sometimes feel bad for the Germans in WWII movies. They just seemed very alive, especially the one that    gets pinned on the wall and hits the Latina girl in the head with his gun. That poor bastard went down fighting.   

Edited:

The part in the LAV was awesome
    It reminded me of that APC scene from Aliens. A lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,008 Posts
    What the piss?

Humans win   

This thing with alien invasion movies is getting old :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,736 Posts
    What the piss?

Humans win   

What, you want humanity going down screaming under a mushroom cloud, or at the hands of genocidal invaders?

Ok, how about Avatar? That's a movie where    Humanity loses.   

15. Post #375
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,341 Posts
    What the piss?

Humans win   

Well, up until the last 20 minutes of the movie, I thought that it was going to end on a very melancholy note. Like neither side really won yet, just that the battle would keep going on. I guess I was wrong. It sort of did end that way, but it really leaned heavily toward the humans winning.   

16. Post #376
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,938 Posts
    Ok, how about Avatar? That's a movie where    Humanity loses.   
    No they don't. They don't get that resource they were after but they weren't wiped out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #377
    November 2009
    1,467 Posts
    I don't even know if I want to bother seeing it now. Critcs bashed Tron yet Tron was a very enjoyable movie...I wonder if this movie could be like that too?
    Don't even trust critics.

Friends? yes but never critics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,736 Posts
    No they don't. They don't get that resource they were after but they weren't wiped out.
    Then what's the appeal in a movie where Humanity goes extinct? Seems like a poor way to make a movie end.

Also, Humanity desperately needed the resources they were denied in Avatar, and it's implied their inability to get the Unobtainium will doom the Human race to extinction.

19. Post #379
    July 2007
    13,869 Posts
    Here's how I see critics:

A bunch of old men who love the boring movies because it puts them to sleep. But when a movie that's full of in your face action comes along they start having heart attacks and they have to keep popping pills every second.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Also, Humanity desperately needed the resources they were denied in Avatar, and it's implied their inability to get the Unobtainium will doom the Human race to extinction.
    It was? I didn't notice that...

21. Post #381
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,329 Posts
    Back from cinema.
    I liked it. A decent war movie. Too much shaky cam, and those "tear-dropping" moments were plain stupid. But it's good nonetheless.
    And yeah no cliffhangers/hints,    straight "humans won"   
       how was that not a cliff hanger? After all wasn't that control system thingy just for the drones in LA? and no, the humans didn't win at the end, at least not yet.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,546 Posts
    Did anyone else notice that awful cut after they all get off the helicopter to attack the    Command and Control center?    I enjoyed the movie for the first few minutes of action, but I found myself literally getting sick of the shaky cam and hyper-active zoom. I couldn't even see what was going on during the firefights half the time. I can't even recall half of what happened in this film now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #383
    July 2007
    13,869 Posts
    how was that not a cliff hanger? After all     wasn't that control system thingy just for the drones in LA? and no, the humans didn't win at the end, at least not yet.   
    I could see them making another movie about it where they go and    fight the other control systems in every state    but I think that would be a silly idea.

Edited:

Did anyone else notice that awful cut after they all get off the helicopter to attack the    Command and Control center?   
    Yeah I did.

24. Post #384
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,441 Posts
       how was that not a cliff hanger? After all wasn't that control system thingy just for the drones in LA? and no, the humans didn't win at the end, at least not yet.   
    I thought that the movie was concluded well, it's obvious that    we win because we now know what to hit, and we would be ready for another attack   

25. Post #385

April 2010
    737 Posts
    Here's how I see critics:

A bunch of old men who love the boring movies because it puts them to sleep. But when a movie that's full of in your face action comes along they start having heart attacks and they have to keep popping pills every second.
    i mainy go off the user scores and not a review by one person

26. Post #386
    Facepunch armorer
    February 2010
    3,978 Posts
    I liked some of the little details put into the film. During the highway scene an alien gets shot in the arm causing it to hold it and find cover. Little things like that make the aliens seem intelligent, when most films make them out to be stupid. But then they ruin it by making them    have a huge ship that can be brought down by a single missile causing them to lose the entire war.   
    mobile command centers aren't a bad idea, we have em

oh yes, 11 out of ten, I loved this movie and plan on seeing it again next weekend.

27. Post #387
    December 2010
    124 Posts
    I just saw this last night, and I have to say, I didn't think it was physically possible for a human spend an hour and a half straight seizing, but the camera team for this move proved me wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

28. Post #388
    October 2009
    2,187 Posts
    Good popcorn movie. Great action and terrible script. I was especially impressed with the bayonet scene. I was also amused that my theory from page 4 completely help up. Cliffhanger ending was corny, but I didn't watch this movie to be intellectually stimulated. Great use of my afternoon. I award this film 4 hats out of 5 hats.

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,564 Posts

This is how Battle:LA ended. But without bugs.

30. Post #390
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,341 Posts
    Did anyone else notice that awful cut after they all get off the helicopter to attack the    Command and Control center?    I enjoyed the movie for the first few minutes of action, but I found myself literally getting sick of the shaky cam and hyper-active zoom. I couldn't even see what was going on during the firefights half the time. I can't even recall half of what happened in this film now.
    There wasn't THAT much going on. I thought it was pretty easy to follow.

Actually, for some reason, I kept identifying background vehicles. I actually thought the bus was a Gillig, but according to Wikipedia, LATA uses NABI buses. They look the same to me. VV

31. Post #391
    February 2009
    3,177 Posts
    saw it. wanted to go to sleep a few times

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,546 Posts
    There wasn't THAT much going on. I thought it was pretty easy to follow.

Actually, for some reason, I kept identifying background vehicles. I actually thought the bus was a Gillig, but according to Wikipedia, LATA uses NABI buses. They look the same to me. VV
    I didn't mean it was hard to follow, I meant that there was almost nothing memorable about the movie because of the crazy cameras.

saw it. wanted to go to sleep a few times
    My friend did this very thing. I was actually day dreaming during many of the action scenes.

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    897 Posts
    Well, saw this the day it came out. Didn't think much of it. I mean it was pretty fun but there was just so much shit to complain about. Disappointment fuelled explanation below if you want to read a great wall of text:

The trailer was far better than the movie to be honest as, a bit controversially here it seems, I didn't actually think much of the film and the trailer was pretty decent. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was entertaining but it was just so dumb and generic at points and generally a bit clichéd and predictable, despite the fact that it's about aliens so they could do pretty much anything they wanted with it.

The thing is, I can get over stuff being implausible and silly in films but the characters were just so thick at times and the film was just inconsistent at others. Like    aliens are everywhere but there is a dog here and that's all let's just let our guard down.    Or the way there'd kind of be sub-plots going on like    the letter to the guy's wife which just doesn't really go anywhere at all. Did she get it? Is she even alive still? Just a few of the many questions I couldn't give less of a shit about because the film didn't give me much reason to care about the characters.   Or how about the guy who    had to see the army psychiatrist or whatever it was because he was a bit nervous after something that happened some other time? He got over that pretty quickly and never really had any relevance other than for the like two minutes he was a bit worried in the helicopter.    Just what was the point? At risk of sounding heartless, it didn't make me much more attached to the characters.

I'm sure everyone's already mentioned how dumb the    I'm a vet I know about aliens    scene was, but I found it even dumber that they found that its    weak spot was behind like 45 plates of armour.    Surely that's not massively advantageous.

Some things just kind of figured themselves out a bit conveniently too. Genuine question though, where did they all    get the rocket launchers and that laser designator thing that were so useful in the last scene?    Did they always have those or did they get them from the vehicles or what?

I don't know, maybe I didn't pay enough attention and I missed the explanations but to be honest I didn't really have much reason to pay that much attention.

Long story short, according to Metacritic the film has an average critic score of 36 at the moment and I'm not at all surprised. The action was kind of repetitive, the moving talky scenes were just dump and I didn't really care about what happened to any of the characters at all. Pretty much everything was predictable as it had been done before and better by another film. Barely worth the £6.80 I paid to see it. Had some all right explosions though I guess if you're after a positive.

Edited:

Also, I swear to god it was the dead of night when    they go into the sewers and find the control centre thing   but it's mid day when they're done there when I could have sworn it only took like 5 minutes. Unless I just completely ignored some sort of time skip or something.

Edited:

And the way that pretty much    everyone who died died the exact same way in that they always stared looking shocked at a bunch of rockets.   A little variation would be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,144 Posts
    They should have done this as one long campaign. Cutting between time periods and showing the humans gradually pushing back the invaders. Heck it could have been Generation Kill with aliens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,628 Posts
    I liked it, probably the best movie I've seen in a while.

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,516 Posts
    Kinda reminds me of "Signs" where the water was like acid to the aliens. So the aliens who probably traveled millions of lightyears to get here and take all our resources, missed the part that our planet is basically 70% water, and that water kills them.

Directors these days makes the aliens too dumb. If they actually invaded, we'd be dead in less than a day.

37. Post #397
    January 2008
    6,521 Posts
    I think they dumb aliens down so they can actually create a film about them. Doubt anyone wants to see a film where the aliens glass the planet before they even land.

Edited:

Also I knew the plot was going to be shit and I purely went to see the action, which was very enjoyable. Few laughable moments and some cheap scares.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,628 Posts
    Kinda reminds me of "Signs" where the water was like acid to the aliens. So the aliens who probably traveled millions of lightyears to get here and take all our resources, missed the part that our planet is basically 70% water, and that water kills them.

Directors these days makes the aliens too dumb. If they actually invaded, we'd be dead in less than a day.
    A movie about humans getting decimated isn't near as fun to watch as us coming back and messing them up pretty badly.

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,791 Posts
    I liked it. I mean, there were inconsistencies and the like, but it was a good movie. Honestly, I wanted Cloverfield with aliens, I got it. Action packed, cool aliens, the whole shabang.

40. Post #400
    : |
    February 2009
    3,704 Posts
    I saw this today, wasn't as bad as The Times said it was. Reminded me of Cloverfield, and War of the Worlds (the remake).