1. Post #321
    July 2009
    2,424 Posts
    I have a feeling this is going to somehow be connected to District 9. The technology kind of looks the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

2. Post #322
    March 2011
    104 Posts
    it was pretty good. The aliens kinda looked like geth from mass effect lol

3. Post #323
    DANCE YOU FOOLS
    November 2007
    1,774 Posts
    I liked this movie, a lot. Unlike Skyline it had a decent plot. Unlike Skyline the characters were actually being developed, their lines were better than average, and you actually wanted them to survive. And most importantly, unlike Skyline, you were given at least an idea as to why the aliens are invading (they're theories, but they make sense). Of course it threw it cliche movie moments here and there, but all in all I give the movie a solid 8/10.

I was extremely skeptical when I first walked in the theater; I emerged thinking, "money well spent".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

4. Post #324
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    4,004 Posts
    Just got back from seeing it, I am pleased. Acting was pretty good, special effects were good, had a good plot to it and no scenes that made no sense. One thing I liked was how human they made the aliens seem, there are quite a few scenes of them doing things like moving their wounded into cover, taking cover behind their equivalent of tanks, etc. And their technology wasn't much more advanced than us, they used projectile weapons, they didn't really have ships they just sort of shot drop pod things at us, really their only advantage was their evolutionary superiority. I liked it 8.5/10.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #325
    Gold Member

April 2005
    375 Posts
    I liked this movie, a lot. Unlike Skyline it had a decent plot. Unlike Skyline the characters were actually being developed, their lines were better than average, and you actually wanted them to survive. And most importantly, unlike Skyline, you were given at least an idea as to why the aliens are invading (they're theories, but they make sense). Of course it threw it cliche movie moments here and there, but all in all I give the movie a solid 8/10.

I was extremely skeptical when I first walked in the theater; I emerged thinking, "money well spent".
    It's those cliche moments that can hold it together sometimes. :D

One thing I really liked was how human technology could kick ass even if it was less advanced. Or least least it kept humanity from being wiped out.

Why do I have the feeling that the aliens scouted the planet hundreds of years before they invaded?

Could you imagine aliens walking on the doorstep of a civilization hundreds of years later and find that the local race had developed nuclear bombs, computers, and aircraft? Someone underestimated the battle plan. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #326
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    4,004 Posts
    It's those cliche moments that can hold it together sometimes. :D

One thing I really liked was how human technology could kick ass even if it was less advanced. Or least least it kept humanity from being wiped out.

Why do I have the feeling that the aliens scouted the planet hundreds of years before they invaded?

Could you imagine aliens walking on the doorstep of a civilization hundreds of years later and find that the local race had developed nuclear bombs, computers, and aircraft? Someone underestimated the battle plan. :/
    That's probably exactly what happened, I mean, the closest solar system to us is still 4 light years away, who knows how far their home planet is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #327
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,489 Posts
        Can't the humans lose for once?    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts
        Can't the humans lose for once?    

I'll pose another question:

Can't the humans actually win, rather then just survive with the clothes on their backs? Every alien movie AND game out there deals with how Humanity is 2 days away from total annihilation, can't we get one where both sides are on equal footing in the beginning?   

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    4,004 Posts

I'll pose another question:

Can't the humans actually win, rather then just survive with the clothes on their backs? Every alien movie AND game out there deals with how Humanity is 2 days away from total annihilation, can't we get one where both sides are on equal footing in the beginning?   
       Wouldn't be very realistic, any alien race that could possibly fly to our planet to attack us would be advanced enough to wipe the floor with us.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts
       Wouldn't be very realistic, any alien race that could possibly fly to our planet to attack us would be advanced enough to wipe the floor with us.   
    Then how about where each side is somewhat balanced in terms of technology? Space opera style.

11. Post #331
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,563 Posts
    Then how about where each side is somewhat balanced in terms of technology? Space opera style.
    Like as in humanity has colonized other planets and then starts to get attacked?

12. Post #332
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,864 Posts
    I really enjoyed the movie. Although the ending was rather silly and    like every other invasion movie where a small number of people beat the odds in a bullshit way,    I was on the edge of my seat during the film. The only thing that bugged me was the camera work at times.

The whole theater, including myself, applauded after it was over.

All in all, 8/10. But if it didn't have that cliche ending I probably would have given it a 9/10.

Fuck the critics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #333
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts
    Like as in humanity has colonized other planets and then starts to get attacked?
    Pretty much, yeah. It doesn't even have to be balanced, it could be like in Halo where we're reasonably good at the ground war but suck in space, I'm just really tired of seeing alien invasion movies involving modern humans facing off against futuristic aliens on Earth.

14. Post #334
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,563 Posts
    Pretty much, yeah. It doesn't even have to be balanced, it could be like in Halo where we're reasonably good at the ground war but suck in space, I'm just really tired of seeing alien invasion movies involving modern humans facing off against futuristic aliens on Earth.
    I'd be for a movie like that, hell, I'd like to see a movie based off of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_Armageddon_Reef

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    860 Posts
    check out "Space: Above and Beyond" you may like it, it was a short lived scifi show from the early 90s that put near future humans against aliens that we were roughly on par with tech wise, it's gonna look super dated now in terms of effects, but story and acting wise it's still excellent.

16. Post #336
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,864 Posts
    Has anyone tried the tie in game yet?

17. Post #337
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    860 Posts
    playing it now, it's by no means good, but at the same time I'm finding it sorta entertaining.

18. Post #338

March 2011
    14 Posts
    aw fuck, releases on the 24th in australia

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217613/releaseinfo

bitches

19. Post #339
    February 2010
    412 Posts
    Oh god this movie was funny, like the effects were really cool but the lines and script was so cliché.

People were probably pissed that me and my pals were laughing so hard, especially at these parts
    (Adding spoiler tags not really needed but fuck it)

When the team found that dead alien and were going to check it out and that lady jumped in and said she was veterinarian    

Also when the dude was shot and the marine holds up a strip on tinfoil and says take this it will warm you up.    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #340
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,339 Posts
    People were probably pissed that me and my pals were laughing so hard, especially at these parts
    Oh. You're one of those.

I hate people like you in theaters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts
        Also when the dude was shot and the marine holds up a strip on tinfoil and says take this it will warm you up.    
    http://www.austinhouse.com/images/products/1120006F_full.jpg
    Like that? They're actually used (quite effectively)    to keep people warm.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #342
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    Watched it a couple hours ago. Another uninspired action movie with gasoline explosions and predictable characters, on par with Transformers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts
    Watched it a couple hours ago. Another uninspired action move with gasoline explosions and predictable characters, on par with Transformers.
    Transformers was ridiculously awesome and fun to watch though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

24. Post #344
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    Transformers was ridiculously awesome and fun to watch though.
    As was this movie, but neither are intellectually stimulating in any conceivable way.

Edited:

My biggest problem with this movie was that the aliens had absolutely no story. They were just there and that's that.

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,646 Posts
    Just got back from the movie with friends and as simple as the plot was, the movie was satisfying as fuck.

26. Post #346
    July 2007
    1,038 Posts
    Wow.... that was the longest Marine commercial I have ever seen, and the only thing it was missing was "The few, the proud, the Marines".

On another note, I pretty much agree with everyone here, the movie was extremely cliche and so many parts reminded me of Black Hawk Down, also a couple of the lines like the ones above were so dumb in the movie.

Overall I would have to give it a 7/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #347
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    Wow.... that was the longest Marine commercial I have ever seen
    This about sums up the movie for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

28. Post #348
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,579 Posts
    On-par with patriotism and testosterone with gears of war 5: god save murika

29. Post #349
    July 2009
    2,424 Posts
    Has anyone tried the tie in game yet?
    That was quick for the game unless they have been developing it for a while.

30. Post #350
    May 2010
    1,917 Posts
    Went and saw it with some friends, it was pretty fucking awesome 10/10.

I am easily amused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #351
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    As was this movie, but neither are intellectually stimulating in any conceivable way.
    To be fair you can't go in expecting philosophical dabble now can you? I don't think there's a single review out there that doesn't call it a stupid action movie no matter if it's negative or positive. I guess if you know you're gonna like it, you're gonna like it. Same as with if you don't. Personally, I don't. So meh.

But then again, dumb action movies can be made very well done like in Die Hard, or be an assault to your senses like in Transformers 2. I haven't seen this movie so I can't really decide, but watching scenes from youtube, it looks like the latter with all of the shaky cam and bad editing. It just looks all around unpleasant to watch, and that's just on a small screen. My head will probably blow up if I saw it in the theater like Transformers 2 did.

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,050 Posts
    The game is the best shit ever

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/795329/1299936959358.jpg
    [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/795329/1299937877318.jpg[/url]
    Edited:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/795329/1299937966942.jpg
    tee hee hee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

33. Post #353
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,850 Posts
    are those for real

34. Post #354
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,050 Posts
    Yes, they use Comic Sans MS in their "cutscenes"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    Comic Sans is what real professionals use. Like in Bratz the movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #356
    JDB
    July 2007
    2,854 Posts
    The part in the LAV was awesome
    the deer thing was silly because I dont think they have deer in California
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,730 Posts
    The part in the LAV was awesome
    the deer thing was silly because I dont think they have deer in California
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/keepmewild/images/deer_map.gif

Hey look at this here thing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    movie was awsome

only problem was the laughable script writing in some areas jesus, it reminded me of saving private ryan but a futuristic version, I think the ending wasn't too cliche and it wasn't as bad as I hoped but was decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #359
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    860 Posts
    I take back what I said about the game, good god that was hilariously bad, although the models for the marines and aliens don't look too bad, if we got them into gmod.....haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #360
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    So far it looks like critics hated the movie but users thought it wasn't too bad.
    Much like Tron Legacy.

I think I might end up checking it out after all.