1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,583 Posts
    Mass Effect Megathread- TVTropes quotes
    I found this one interesting:

In Mass Effect 2, you bust Jack out of Purgatory, a prison ship held by the Blue Suns. Now, the merc gang they belong to might not matter, but think for a moment. The Blue Sun(s) hold a girl who's badass, a trained killer, and insane. If this is starting to sound familiar, did I mention that she can kill you with her brain? They used them for yet another Firefly shoutout (the Blue Sun Corporation is the jackasses who were a large part of the Academy's funding/control). Someone at Bioware must really like Firefly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #242
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Meh, I bet someone else had this idea way before anything that was created in this new millennia.

Edited:

I don't really bother with it's similarities to other things, whatever they may be, as long as it isn't completely obvious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,984 Posts
    i hope ME3 keeps it's great sidequests and offtopic questing
    i would actully dislike ME3 if it was just shooting the reapers the whole game

maybe the reapers apper at the end like in ME2, as a final climatic showdown
    i would like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #244
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    I want the constant threat to be there, as the threat of the collectors was, but for me to be able to go at it at my own pace.

5. Post #245
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    i hope ME3 keeps it's great sidequests and offtopic questing
    i would actully dislike ME3 if it was just shooting the reapers the whole game

maybe the reapers apper at the end like in ME2, as a final climatic showdown
    i would like that
    I want to see an actual reaper AI, or some kind of inner (biological?/electronic) core they have. Yet, I'm waiting for a deeply disturbing revelation about them, something that should be totally unexpected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #246
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,396 Posts
    The reapers' biggest advantage was the ability to appear out of the citadel and take out the heads of government in one quick strike, and it gave them ability to destroy planets before they realized they were even under attack. The reapers no longer have information and secrecy on their side

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,854 Posts
    man i hope that if i get enough renegade in me3 that i can bully the reapers into joining my cause

i think it would be cool to have a reaper squadmate, he'd probably have the best conversation lines

plus imagine that romance scene oh man hnnnnnnngh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

8. Post #248
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,583 Posts
    The reapers' biggest advantage was the ability to appear out of the citadel and take out the heads of government in one quick strike, and it gave them ability to destroy planets before they realized they were even under attack. The reapers no longer have information and secrecy on their side
    Well they do have blind ignorance and arrogant thinking still on their side (aka, Turian Councilor.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #249
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,984 Posts
    i'll honestly be shocked if shepard can make it out of this game alive

it's a reaper FLEET!

hell it took EVERY ship in a single attack to destroy just ONE!
    and even then...

10. Post #250
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    Gonna be so pissed with Bioware if they find some "LOL HIDDEN PROTHEAN KEY TO DESTROYING ALL REAPERS 4 GOOD!" in the plot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #251
    July 2010
    2,129 Posts
    There's gonna be a giant button on the Citadel that says "Push to stop reaper invasion."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #252
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,762 Posts
    There's probably some switch somewhere that disables the Reapers

Edit: oh screw you ninjas

This made me think that it would be cool to find the Reapers' creators or whatever would have been left of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

13. Post #253
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,436 Posts
    Gonna be so pissed with Bioware if they find some "LOL HIDDEN PROTHEAN KEY TO DESTROYING ALL REAPERS 4 GOOD!" in the plot.
    What if it kills everyone except the ones who activate it, dooming Shepard and friends to roam a dead universe, waiting for life to spring up again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #254
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    50 says the citadel turns into a cannon due to secret prothean tech or some shit.

Edited:

What if it kills everyone except the ones who activate it, dooming Shepard and friends to roam a dead universe, waiting for life to spring up again?
    What would be the point? If you kill everyone, why is that any better than letting the reapers do it? They may be dicks, but they helped kindle life in the first place.

15. Post #255
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,930 Posts
    There's probably some switch somewhere that disables the Reapers

Edit: oh screw you ninjas

This made me think that it would be cool to find the Reapers' creators or whatever would have been left of them.
    Pretty sure the "creators" of the Reapers are themselves. They're pretty much an ascended race.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,854 Posts
    Pretty sure the "creators" of the Reapers are themselves. They're pretty much an ascended race.
    Yeah, but ascended from where?

They're a race of autonomous machines, which have to have origins from somewhere or something. I don't think that by chance they were created by an evolutionary process, there has to be someone or something that created them.

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,784 Posts
    They need something to solve the problem but I think their strength would be in the fact that they are not divided in the same way other races were once the Reapers came. They still have the Mass Relays and can mobilise their forces.

It's likely they will just have to destroy a few of the Reapers and something else will happen to the rest of them. Maybe once enough are destroyed, they either flee, unable to complete their work or they focus their attention on us rather than planets and we can lure them into a trap. Probably where Hastroms exploding sun comes in. I think a Supernova would destroy a few Reapers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

18. Post #258
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,222 Posts
    There's gonna be a giant button on the Citadel that says "Push to stop reaper invasion."
    There was, unfortunately it was on the Turian Councilor's Holopad. He immediately dismissed the idea of "Reapers" and removed the function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

19. Post #259
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,436 Posts
    50 says the citadel turns into a cannon due to secret prothean tech or some shit.

Edited:

What would be the point? If you kill everyone, why is that any better than letting the reapers do it? They may be dicks, but they helped kindle life in the first place.
    it sounded cool at first

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,222 Posts

They're a race of autonomous machines, which have to have origins from somewhere or something. I don't think that by chance they were created by an evolutionary process, there has to be someone or something that created them.
    What if they created themselves? They modified their bodies constantly, so they went from organics to machines, over thousands of years leaving all that they used to be behind, creating Reapers. So some organic race advanced far enough to create the relays and Citadel, only to destroy themselves.

21. Post #261
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts

I don't have any special preference for Turians.
    I see, it's merely a preference for their planet then?

22. Post #262
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,762 Posts
    Their procreation mechanism is too fucked up for self creation I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,930 Posts

I meant this:

What if they created themselves? They modified their bodies constantly, so they went from organics to machines, over thousands of years leaving all that they used to be behind, creating Reapers. So some organic race advanced far enough to create the relays and Citadel, only to destroy themselves.
    Their procreation mechanism is too fucked up for self creationg I think.
    Not really. If they did it gradually, or had some of their own species "stay behind" to do it for them, they could have created the first Reapers. Probably didn't look the same, it might have simply been about digitizing the conciousness of an entire species. Synthetic creations are sturdier than organics, after all.

I see, it's merely a preference for their planet then?
    Pretty much.

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,784 Posts
    Artificial intelligences are just that, artificial. They can't be made in nature, they require someone else to create them. There must be a creator species even if what they created was far simpler than they are now.

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,562 Posts
    The thing I don't get about alternate sexuality in games is that the fact that anyone who is LGBT in the story has to be treated like everyone else, even if in the context of the story it wouldn't make sense.

A good example is Fallout New Vegas. The wasteland is supposed to be were the worst, most prejudiced and primal parts of humanity can come out and play. However, the player can be openly gay without repercussion, even in just in dialog. If characters are gay without any realistic reactions from other characters, it becomes a meaningless, token kind of thing that does nothing to add to the character, which I think is what happened in Mass Effect.
    Well, most, if not all, LBGT characters in F:NV are in the more stable settlements of the game. Are the Followers of the Apocolypes really going to cast out Arcade Gannon simply due to something that doesn't interfere with his work? Are the close-knit Brotherhood of Steel going to harrass Veronica for something that doesn't really matter much to their mission or has any rule about it in their codex? Are people going to turn away a spare pair of hands because of who'se they are? Will Ceasar's Legionnarii rape you no matter what gender you are?

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,930 Posts
    Artificial intelligences are just that, artificial. They can't be made in nature, they require someone else to create them. There must be a creator species even if what they created was far simpler than they are now.
    If your mind was uploaded to a computer somehow and preserved in it's original form except digitized, would it be artificial?
    Since that's what you're arguing, and it's an interesting topic.

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,396 Posts
    In Mass Effect, there's a planet called Klencory where a Volus is seeking the beings of pure light that will defend against the synthetic devils. Of course he has the synthetic devils part right, but if the beings of pure light could defeat the reapers, wouldn't they have done so already? The beings of pure light could be the sun. Since the Haestroms sun was going supernova early and going to take out the solar system like a nova always does, it could be the way the reapers are going to be defeated. A lot, maybe all the reapers are on earth in ME3 so it's possible the sun will be destroyed to defeat all the reapers in one blow

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,421 Posts
    Mass Effect 2 won X-Play's 2010 Game of the Year. Adam said he wanted to sleep with Garrus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #269
    December 2009
    11,729 Posts
    I hated to do it, but I chose infiltrator again. I'll do sentinel or adept on the insanity run I'm doing when I get done with Hard Core.

30. Post #270
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,222 Posts
    I hated to do it, but I chose infiltrator again. I'll do sentinel or adept on the insanity run I'm doing when I get done with Hard Core.
    Sentinel helps on high difficulty a lot. The armor ability is a great way to get some shielding in a pinch.

31. Post #271
    December 2010
    256 Posts
    I really wanna make an avatar of 1:11 - 1:17

Edited:

This DOES need to be solved in ME3. The most efficient way to play the game is all Paragon. You get the best bonuses. It should be far more morally unclear. Like it doesn't just go "Choose the paragon choice and you win!"

Edited:

semi-ninja'd

32. Post #272
    Original 300 elitist.
    January 2005
    2,162 Posts
    3 new official soundtracks are out now, never knew they weren't composed by Jack Wall, though they never sounded his style.
    http://masseffect.bioware.com/market/soundtracks/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

33. Post #273
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,222 Posts
    *checks pockets*
    Well, not going to be buying those right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #274
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    I want to see an actual reaper AI, or some kind of inner (biological?/electronic) core they have. Yet, I'm waiting for a deeply disturbing revelation about them, something that should be totally unexpected.
    You already have. Sovereign literally put himself inside Saren. When you kill Frog-Saren, the ship literally COLLAPSES and begins to fall off the control point, not just lose its shields.

Edited:

3 new official soundtracks are out now, never knew they weren't composed by Jack Wall, though they never sounded his style.
    http://masseffect.bioware.com/market/soundtracks/
    Sonic Mayhem did all the DLC music.

35. Post #275
    December 2009
    11,729 Posts
    I finally caved and bought a cerberus network code. Zaeed, Normandy Crash Site, and those other free things better be fucking worth it.

36. Post #276
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,784 Posts
    If your mind was uploaded to a computer somehow and preserved in it's original form except digitized, would it be artificial?
    Since that's what you're arguing, and it's an interesting topic.
    That's not really what I am arguing, I'm saying that for the intelligence to be created in the first place, it has to be some kind of natural intelligence. Artificial intelligences can be created but it needs to be done or at least accommodated for by either natural intelligence or other artificial intelligences. While natural intelligences can be created without any higher form of intelligence, to at least get a start an artificial intelligence needs another.

As for transferring brains, it's still a natural intelligence just on an artificial platform. It was created and developed in a natural context so as far as I am concerned, it's natural.

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,187 Posts
    i'll honestly be shocked if shepard can make it out of this game alive

it's a reaper FLEET!

hell it took EVERY ship in a single attack to destroy just ONE!
    and even then...
    It didn't take every ship. It took a small Citadel defence fleet and Fifth Fleet. The vast majority of Citadel forces were located on the border of the Terminus Systems. And most of the fleet at the Citadel were busy fighting the Geth to worry about Sovereign. Sovereign was tough, but he was no where near invincible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

38. Post #278
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,784 Posts
    Pretty much why they'll be able to destroy a few of them, draw them away from all the planets into a trap, then make a supernova on them. Shit'd be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #279
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,298 Posts
    Citadel has tech that can destroy Reapers, always something Cliche like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #280
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,222 Posts
    It didn't take every ship. It took a small Citadel defence fleet and Fifth Fleet. The vast majority of Citadel forces were located on the border of the Terminus Systems. And most of the fleet at the Citadel were busy fighting the Geth to worry about Sovereign. Sovereign was tough, but he was no where near invincible.
    So it took an alliance fleet and a good sized citadel fleet to take down one, and Shepard may have been what took down the shields, if not more. Now here comes the rest of the Reaper fleet...