1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    Well that's cool. It is for you, I personally feel nothing and go all "meh". Different people, different art. Nothing wrong with that, just don't start dissing people with different tastes.

So how is it easier? Photoshop doesn't draw perspective for you.
    checkmate.
    Also dgg, I like you and all, but
    Stop. It. the. Fuck. Down.
    With each post you look dumber and dumber.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,245 Posts
    I

Does he do something that is not B&W?
    No.
    He shot exclusively on B&W film from his youth until he inherited a digital camera.
    Still only shoots black and white. Just a personal choice, but his work is consistent.

3. Post #83
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    checkmate.
    That is photo manipulation, not drawing...

Edited:

No.
    He shot exclusively on B&W film from his youth until he inherited a digital camera.
    Still only shoots black and white. Just a personal choice, but his work is consistent.
    Rather boring and soulless I'd say
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #84
    September 2009
    9,817 Posts

:aaaaa:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    August 2009
    439 Posts
    scorpio I'm sorry but I don't think you should be judging 3d at all ever

6. Post #86
    May 2010
    11,301 Posts
    scorpio I'm sorry but I don't think you should be judging 3d at all ever
    oh im sorry

does that mean that if it were transcribed into 2d i could call it a huge jumbled mess of wires, plates, and hoses without upsetting you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,245 Posts
    That is photo manipulation, not drawing...

Edited:

Rather boring and soulless I'd say
    I completely disagree.

8. Post #88
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,464 Posts
    drama up in this bitch...

enjoy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,245 Posts
    :)

10. Post #90
    ~I want you inside me~
    May 2005
    17,431 Posts
    drama up in this bitch...

enjoy.
    holy shit, i'm in love with that style

reminds me of the old mickey cartoon's style

Edited:

am i allowed to post photos on flickr that i think look amazing?

11. Post #91
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,854 Posts
    My friend brett douglass, He goes way to unnoticed.

Last one but in all 21.1 MP Glory.
    http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photos/2010/2010414/976819226_WspeT-O-1.jpgcheck his smugmug account, This guy really needs more attention.
    http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    My friend brett douglass, He goes way to unnoticed.

Last one but in all 21.1 MP Glory.
    http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/Photos/2010/2010414/976819226_WspeT-O-1.jpgcheck his smugmug account, This guy really needs more attention.
    http://bretdouglas.smugmug.com/
    This I like. Except the last one. The fur is noise

13. Post #93
    August 2009
    439 Posts
    oh im sorry

does that mean that if it were transcribed into 2d i could call it a huge jumbled mess of wires, plates, and hoses without upsetting you?
    No I'm just saying you're clearly not interested in it so I don't think you can have a legitimate say in what's good about it and what's not.

Perk up you're being too emotional.

14. Post #94
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,535 Posts
    No I'm just saying you're clearly not interested in it so I don't think you can have a legitimate say in what's good about it and what's not.
    Yes he can. Art is art, everyone can have their own opinions about it and there is no right or wrong. So why should there be right and wrong people to form their own opinions about it?

15. Post #95
    August 2009
    439 Posts
    Yes he can. Art is art, everyone can have their own opinions about it and there is no right or wrong. So why should there be right and wrong people to form their own opinions about it?
    Nobody in their right mind would say that the image johan posted isn't fantastically done if they actually understand the medium.

The amount of work and thought to get something like that is phenomenal. Even if he doesn't think it's appealing it's obvious he doesn't understand what it takes to create something like that. I've seen plenty of work I don't particularly like but I respect and attempt to fully understand what went into it. Doesn't seem like he's doing that at all.

Edited:

Also, I'm not referring to it in an artistic aspect, I'm talking about a matter of skill and how technically good it is. I don't care for painting but if I see a painting that hardly looks different from a photograph I'll drop my jaw.

16. Post #96
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    I've always found people who judge art at contests I've been to have no idea what they're looking at. It seems to be a qualification for the job to hate everything. Must be easier to figure out what you hate the least than what you love the most.

17. Post #97
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,535 Posts
    Nobody in their right mind would say that the image johan posted isn't fantastically done if they actually understand the medium.

The amount of work and thought to get something like that is phenomenal. Even if he doesn't think it's appealing it's obvious he doesn't understand what it takes to create something like that. I've seen plenty of work I don't particularly like but I respect and attempt to fully understand what went into it. Doesn't seem like he's doing that at all.

Also, I'm not referring to it in an artistic aspect, I'm talking about a matter of skill and how technically good it is. I don't care for painting but if I see a painting that hardly looks different from a photograph I'll drop my jaw.
    He hasn't really said anything about how well done it is or isn't though. He's just saying he doesn't like those works at all. What he mainly didn't like was that it was just a show-of of a model with lots of fancy shit on it and that the image itself wasn't art at all as it wasn't composed beyond "look at this person I made". It's obviously not his piece of cake, but he didn't deem it not well made.

Why care about the effort put into something? If you can draw Mona Lisa in 3 seconds freehand and another person carefully builds up a skeleton, looks at light sources and all sorts of jazz to make it good and you both end up with the same result I would think both were just as good. The result is what matters, not the process, the process is only cool to know.

Well again, he never said anything about the technical work aspect of it.

I've always found people who judge art at contests I've been to have no idea what they're looking at. It seems to be a qualification for the job to hate everything. Must be easier to figure out what you hate the least than what you love the most.
    Just as hard really.

What can I say? If that was what it took to make me dumb then you didn't know me very well beforehand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    August 2009
    439 Posts
    Why care about the effort put into something? If you can draw Mona Lisa in 3 seconds freehand and another person carefully builds up a skeleton, looks at light sources and all sorts of jazz to make it good and you both end up with the same result I would think both were just as good. The result is what matters, not the process, the process is only cool to know.
    I disagree with this to a reasonable extent but your other points are fair enough.

Edited:

You've taught classes as I remember so I'd assume you'd have experience in figuring what you hate the least

Or at least that's how I graded a couple times.

19. Post #99
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    The result is what matters, not the process, the process is only cool to know.
    The process shows skill. A masterful process is art in itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    May 2010
    11,301 Posts

Perk up you're being too emotional.
    I was trying to make a point about composition, not say anything about it's technical aspects. The model is technically well done, but overcomplicated and confusing, whereas the other is technically simple, yet effective and easy on the eyes. Must I rephrase that again and again until you listen?

Edited:

The process shows skill. A masterful process is art in itself.
    Notice I never spoke to the artist's skill. Only his finesse.

21. Post #101
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,967 Posts
    my favourite artform is film. i don't think it gets enough recognition as one around here. what do you think
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    January 2010
    5,054 Posts
    I barely see film around here, so I agree with you rusty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    May 2010
    11,301 Posts
    my favourite artform is film. i don't think it gets enough recognition as one around here. what do you think
    one of my favorite artists of all time is andrei tarkovsky

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    I barely see film around here, so I agree with you rusty.
    Rusty100 posted:
    The fucking film forum is for that.
    Reason we don't get flicks here all the time is because someone rarely manages to go through the process that requries such great resources to create a worthwhile picture here.

25. Post #105
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    63,967 Posts
    no need to get snappy, i meant more in this thread and the fact as not enough people see it as an artform

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    Wow, 3 pages and no Tim Buckeley?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts

It's a nice shot but...    the hair    :gonk:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,245 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with hair.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,644 Posts
    A friends photography, good stuff:

And Micheal Kutsche, an amazing illustrator.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,464 Posts
    not enough people see it as an artform
    Too many people see it as entertainment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #111
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Wondering why no-one's mentioned Lnda Bergkvist, she's my idol :allears:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with hair.
    Just to clear it up - I think this is redundant - but you do know that I'm talking about her armpit hair, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #113
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    Artistic indie films = b&w, slow/sad music and possibly a narrator.

34. Post #114
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    A friends photography, good stuff:

And Micheal Kutsche, an amazing illustrator.

I loved his stuff for Alice in wonderland.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts

:swoon:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,464 Posts
    Artistic indie films = b&w, slow/sad music and possibly a narrator.

37. Post #117
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    It's a forum, no one needs to talk to me. I can reply on my own

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,182 Posts
    This guy, Artgerm, works at DC Comics and like other comic book artists, has an account on DeviantArt.

His most recent work. Frankly, Superboy looks a tad feminine.

Ah but this, a personal favourite. He looks so badass.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    March 2010
    1,741 Posts
    Artgem's stuff
    I personally love Artgem's use of color, what I hate though about almost every piece of his, is that with his style, everything pretty much looks like leather... cloth, skin, etc..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    January 2010
    5,054 Posts
    Keith Thompson is my idol.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)