1. Post #1
    November 2009
    1,464 Posts
    This thread is for users who respect Hip-Hop/Rap for what it is, who like discussing and listen to it and really enjoy it. Share your opinion as to why it is good or why it is bad. If you say a rapper sucks, why? Post song lyrics, names, beats, etc, to back up your reasoning.

Another reason for this thread is to introduce the genre to people who might be interested. I would like to see people share their favorites. IMO Hip-Hop/Rap is great, and more people should listen to it, no matter where you from, age, race or religion. You have to remember that music is the universal language, not a language for one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 24Friendly x 13Agree x 4Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    741 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Anyone else vibing off of Kanye's All of the Lights

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2010
    412 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2010
    2,852 Posts

WHY? has to be one of my favorites
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    12,197 Posts
    GETO BOYS are the best

Edited:

im the little mother fucker with the big dick swingin

Edited:

wu tang clan comin atcha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Winner x 3Late x 2Friendly x 1Agree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,753 Posts
    gotsta post this, and recommend the album (death is silent) to everyone here.

It's a beautiful little hip-hop concept album, has a really great sound that I find quite special.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    This is a beat a friend of mine made. His first time really sampling anything. Just wanted some feedback.

He samples one of Kanye's lines from Forever by Drake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,014 Posts
    Anyone know if the M-Audio Axiom is good for hip-hop/rap/techno producing?

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Axiom-...3492301&sr=8-1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Anyone know if the M-Audio Axiom is good for hip-hop/rap/techno producing?

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Axiom-...3492301&sr=8-1
    Yes, it's very good. A different friend of mine (not the one listed above) uses it all the time for rap and hip-hop. You'll like it.

For that price though, I would just go for an Oxygen 49... you can sacrifice some of the features the axiom has over the oxygen for the extra keys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,014 Posts
    This?

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Oxygen...3494037&sr=8-1

Having never used anything like these before, I dunno what most of the stuff is on those. I think I'd need the little square key things you can tap and it plays a pre-assigned sound that the M-Audio has, I think I'll just get that. Is the amount of keys really important?

I'm just looking for something easy to use with my Audio-Technica AT2020 mic.

12. Post #12
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    This?

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Oxygen...3494037&sr=8-1

Having never used anything like these before, I dunno what most of the stuff is on those. I think I'd need the little square key things you can tap and it plays a pre-assigned sound that the M-Audio has, I think I'll just get that. Is the amount of keys really important?

I'm just looking for something easy to use with my Audio-Technica AT2020 mic.
    The amount of keys when you're first starting out might not be the most important thing, but if you get good with it you will be kicking yourself in the forehead for only having 25 keys.

It is ultimately up to you. Hell, an Oxygen 25 wouldn't even be a bad choice seeing how cheap it is. That way you could see if you like it, if production isn't the thing for you, sell it to some wannabee rapper/producer at your high school for 50-75 dollars.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,014 Posts
    The amount of keys when you're first starting out might not be the most important thing, but if you get good with it you will be kicking yourself in the forehead for only have 25 keys.
    Can you reccomend me the best possible one I can get for 250$? I'd rather not get one that is 130$ when I could get a better quality one, if I am making sense here. Perhaps one that can make "Kid Cudi style" beats? They're kind of ambient but...you know.

14. Post #14
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Can you reccomend me the best possible one I can get for 250$? I'd rather not get one that is 130$ when I could get a better quality one, if I am making sense here. Perhaps one that can make "Kid Cudi style" beats? They're kind of ambient but...you know.
    To be honest, your keyboard wont hinder you all that much from obtaining that sound... certain ones just make it easier and give you some extra tools.

To me, your best choices would be between the Oxygen 49, or the Axiom 25. I personally would pick the Oxygen 49, but I have other reasons for that.

You have to decide if you really want those beat pads the axiom provides. But don't just take my word for it. You should ask some people with more experience than me.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,014 Posts
    I am sure the Axiom will provide the basic stuff I need now, and if I get skilled enough to need the extra keys I can always upgrade. A question though, do I assign sounds to the beat pads with the keyboard or on a program like FL Studio? That's what I have.

16. Post #16
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    I am sure the Axiom will provide the basic stuff I need now, and if I get skilled enough to need the extra keys I can always upgrade. A question though, do I assign sounds to the beat pads with the keyboard or on a program like FL Studio? That's what I have.
    As far as I know your keyboard is useless without a DAW. So I'm assuming FL Studio. Also, the Axiom is far from basic, it'll keep you happy for a while. You do know that the Axiom is the step up from the Oxygen right?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,014 Posts
    I sort of just searched "midi keyboard" on Amazon and picked the one that looked the coolest.

I'll probably order this today or tomorrow, thanks for the help. Can I add you on Steam to discuss easier?

18. Post #18
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Sure, it should be funcootforever

If that doesn't work just click the steam icon under my profile.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,014 Posts
    Added.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    12,197 Posts
    gangster boogie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    IF I USE THE WORD "GIRLFRIEND" IN MY POST THEN I'M PROBABLY NOT TELLING THE TRUTH
    August 2006
    2,966 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Thinking of buying an M-Audio Keystudio.

It's 90 bucks for the 49 key version, but it's unweighted. I am hesitant.

Edited:

Also, picked up the new Ye album.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,352 Posts

De La Soul - Stakes is High
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,758 Posts
    Digable Planets:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    November 2009
    1,464 Posts
    The Roots - Clock With No Hands

Rakim - Satisfaction Guaranteed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    I hope this thread sticks around

End of days-Vinnie Paz (of jedi mind tricks)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    We should try and broaden up this thread with more content than just posting videos. It'll probably stay alive longer that way. :D

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    12,197 Posts
    best rap groups ever: NWA, WU TANG CLAN and....... GETO BOYS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Almost as real as hollywood undead. PAH.
    Wu tang are sick as hell though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    12,197 Posts
    wtf is hollywood undead and yeah i know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,753 Posts
    Hollywood undead are a bunch of embarrasing honkeys that make me hang my head in shame
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Grand Hustle should be added to that list. Juss sayin'

Edited:

And Disturbing The Peace, strictly cause of Luda.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,354 Posts
    Anyone else vibing off of Kanye's All of the Lights

To include an interlude on the album was a brilliant decision, sets up the feel so well.

Been listening to Common's albums alot lately:

34. Post #34
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    universal mind control was definitely not as good as some of his earlier stuff

I used to love H.E.R. is like legendary now

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,753 Posts

Shockingly I found this album in my local HMV, whose Hip hop/R&B section is usually devoted entirely to Grime.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts

37. Post #37
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,350 Posts
    Most loved rap groups by white people who don't listen to rap, anyway

burner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,753 Posts

burner
    I've always wondered this, TH89, who are your undisputed favorite rappers/groups?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,369 Posts
    universal mind control was definitely not as good as some of his earlier stuff

I used to love H.E.R. is like legendary now
    Be is a good album

40. Post #40
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts

burner
    don't fuck with wu-tang man there would be no kanye without wu-tang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)