1. Post #201
    October 2009
    2,726 Posts
    Well...back on topic then.

My friend has been rapping for quite some time now, but he's finally getting to that stage where a lot of the stuff he makes is starting to sound pretty good. He's had a rough time coming up in high school and with girls and rap is his get-a-way. Please support him and C+C!

http://www.youtube.com/user/G0LDENG

He's posting more eventually, and he does have a soundcloud as well:

http://soundcloud.com/golden-g

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

2. Post #202
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts

My friend has been rapping for quite some time now, but he's finally getting to that stage where a lot of the stuff he makes is starting to sound pretty good. He's had a rough time coming up in high school and with girls and rap is his get-a-way. Please support him and C+C!

Thanks!
    "Back on topic guys, lets stop talking about eminem and start talking about a rapper nobody has heard of." Yeah, they weren't off topic.

But he is pretty good for a high schooler. He should keep at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #203
    October 2009
    2,726 Posts
    "Back on topic guys, lets stop talking about eminem and start talking about a rapper nobody has heard of." Yeah, they weren't off topic.

But he is pretty good for a high schooler. He should keep at it.
    Sorry, I just meant let's get content in here. My apologies.

Also, he is first year college.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

4. Post #204
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Yeah, he should look into buying some beats (leasing I guess as most would call it.)

Pretty much you pay about $30 for a decent beat. They give you the wav file which allows for some high quality productions. He should also find a friend who is into production to mix and master it for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #205
    November 2009
    1,467 Posts
    Any good tutorials for mixing and mastering?

6. Post #206
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts

7. Post #207
    Dennab
    July 2010
    1,133 Posts

8. Post #208
    November 2009
    1,467 Posts
    Incredible sample, Smitty Ft Kanye West, Scarface, John Legend

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/en/play/s/a0f682d-166834/

9. Post #209
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Incredible sample, Smitty Ft Kanye West, Scarface, John Legend

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/en/play/s/a0f682d-166834/
    That is pretty sick. I love sampling.

Check this guy out. He fucking sampled Sonic the Hedgehog songs and sound effects. It's a fucking awesome flip.

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,209 Posts
    That is pretty sick. I love sampling.

Check this guy out. He fucking sampled Sonic the Hedgehog songs and sound effects. It's a fucking awesome flip.

If you want to see how video game noise flipping is done, check out Dibia$e, he does it a lot.

As for the mindset, of "Old rap had substance and soul. New rap is overrun with shit and meaningless garbage." That mindset is right, ever since the early 90's when Hip-Hop/rap became mainstream, it has become garbage pop music. Sure there's some good music that gets made, but that's slowly deteriorating because that isn't what makes money anymore. It's a backwards fucked up music industry where shitty rappers get lame club-banger production and good rappers/producers struggle to make a living while making better music.
    Example:
    G6- These people have no business rapping (45 million views)

Blu+ Flying Lotus, one of the best new rappers and one of the best producers pump out a good song (33thousand views)
    Bluzy

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,760 Posts
    I would never say overrun though, there are a ridiculous number of credible and decent rappers in the game at the moment. People like Common, Chiddy Bang, El-P, Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Murs, J.Cole, Jay E, Nas, Kno and Cunninlynguists themselves, Roots Manuva, Sage Francis, Saul Williams, Wale, B.O.B, T.I. That's just off the top of my head
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #212
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    If you want to see how video game noise flipping is done, check out Dibia$e, he does it a lot.

As for the mindset, of "Old rap had substance and soul. New rap is overrun with shit and meaningless garbage." That mindset is right, ever since the early 90's when Hip-Hop/rap became mainstream, it has become garbage pop music. Sure there's some good music that gets made, but that's slowly deteriorating because that isn't what makes money anymore. It's a backwards fucked up music industry where shitty rappers get lame club-banger production and good rappers/producers struggle to make a living while making better music.
    Example:
    G6- These people have no business rapping (45 million views)

Blu+ Flying Lotus, one of the best new rappers and one of the best producers pump out a good song (33thousand views)
    Bluzy

Don't listen to radio stations that bump club music all day? G6 is a club chart, listen to the lyrics.

There is more rap out there than that. The only thing you do to try and justify your statements is you find the worst of the worse and use it as an example of new rap.

13. Post #213
    March 2010
    528 Posts

Thanks!
    his dream girl song sounds like ll cool j

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,209 Posts
    I would never say overrun though, there are a ridiculous number of credible and decent rappers in the game at the moment. People like Common, Chiddy Bang, El-P, Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Murs, J.Cole, Jay E, Nas, Kno and Cunninlynguists themselves, Roots Manuva, Sage Francis, Saul Williams, Wale, B.O.B, T.I. That's just off the top of my head
    You'll never hear the majority of those people on the radio (Sadly). Which is what I mean by overrun. Popular rap is shitty now, and every bad song on the radio spawns 100 sound-alikes and as a result, the vast majority of young rappers are emulating what you hear on the radio, not good music.'

The proof is in your list, the only people on there that aren't already in their mid 30's and/or have been rapping since the mid/early 90's are Wale, B.O.B., T.I., Chiddy Bang, and J. Cole. All of whom happen to be my least favorite on that list.

I don't know old you are, or how long you've been following Hip-Hop, but every year I sift through more and more garbage hip-hop and find less and less good stuff. I've slowly come to the realization that unless something major changes, in 10 years I'll be listening to the same albums from 1993 because no one puts out good music anymore.

Edited:

Don't listen to radio stations that bump club music all day? G6 is a club chart, listen to the lyrics.

There is more rap out there than that. The only thing you do to try and justify your statements is you find the worst of the worse and use it as an example of new rap.
    I live in the San Francisco area, feel free to find me a radio station or T.V. channel that gives good Hip-Hop the hype it deserves.

I'm very aware that there is more out there than G6 but it's those type of shitty songs that get exposure all day and everyone listens to, and that's what Hip-Hop has become. There are a slim amount of people still putting out good stuff, but as I said above, that's running short. In the 90's good music got played on the radio and on MTV, good music was everywhere.

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,904 Posts

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,519 Posts
    I hate the end of Respect, I needed to edit it out because I didn't want to listen to a blowjob for a minute everytime it came on shuffle.

17. Post #217
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    Flylo + Blu = grave.

18. Post #218
    October 2009
    2,726 Posts
    his dream girl song sounds like ll cool j
    Just compared them side-by-side and I can kind of see the resemblance. But that's a great compliment to him! I'll be sure to forward it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,481 Posts
    Bought an album by a local called Raven the other day
    There's better tracks on the album, but their all good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #220
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    -snip-

21. Post #221
    April 2010
    3,378 Posts
    I love Kid Cudi. He's so chill and nice to listen to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,481 Posts
    Adelaide's Vents is amazing.
    Good to know our state is good for something.

23. Post #223
    January 2011
    46 Posts
    Atm
    I'm thoroughly enjoying
    MF Dooms-Doomsday
    Madvillains-Madvillainy
    Arsonists
    and Big H.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

24. Post #224
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts

My first hiphop beat ever. I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks so please be gentle. Haha

25. Post #225
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    where ur drums @
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

26. Post #226
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Am I the only one who can hear the drums???

27. Post #227
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    Oh I can hear them, but they're barely audible over the synths. It sounds more like some kind of downtempo techno thing than a hip hop beat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

28. Post #228
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Oh I can hear them, but they're barely audible over the synths. It sounds more like some kind of downtempo techno thing than a hip hop beat.
    I turned down the drums cause most of the time it seems that a lot of people make beats where the drums are too loud.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I went back and turned up the drums in my daw, but I don't think I'm going to bother re uploading.

Edited:

Scratch that, I did some mixing. Turned down the lead and added some reverb, turned up the drums.

29. Post #229
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,209 Posts
    Everyone starts somewhere, my friend and I used to make the shittiest beats imaginable, you get better over time. Here's his soundcloud now
    http://soundcloud.com/jedi-jordan

30. Post #230
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    I turned down the drums cause most of the time it seems that a lot of people make beats where the drums are too loud.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I went back and turned up the drums in my daw, but I don't think I'm going to bother re uploading.

Edited:

Scratch that, I did some mixing. Turned down the lead and added some reverb, turned up the drums.

Could do with something with a bit more edge, sounds really pop. Then again that could just be my taste

31. Post #231
    November 2009
    1,467 Posts
    Yeah sounds more pop

Edited:

Everyone starts somewhere, my friend and I used to make the shittiest beats imaginable, you get better over time. Here's his soundcloud now
    http://soundcloud.com/jedi-jordan
    TheyShook sounds ill, did he quit making beats?

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,209 Posts
    Yeah sounds more pop

Edited:

TheyShook sounds ill, did he quit making beats?
    Nah, just doesn't upload them very often.

33. Post #233
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    I fucking love B.o.B.'s beats

34. Post #234
    November 2009
    1,467 Posts
    Guys Talib Kweli provided the stream to Myspace to play his entire Gutter Rainbows album. Real Hiphop

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/01/20/...-album-stream/

Definitely better than Beautiful Struggle and Eardrum

Let me know if you want the Download link

35. Post #235
    September 2009
    1,082 Posts
    M.F. DOOM - OPERATION DOOMSDAY:
    REMASTERED, EXPANDED, 2-DISC SET (VINYL IN SPRING)

As promised, we have a very exciting WORLD EXCLUSIVE to announce -

We were able to obtain an exclusive advanced copy of MF DOOM's - OPERATION DOOMSDAY incredible new boxset from DOOM's record label - Metal Face Records.

Beautifully packaged in an old-school tin lunchbox and meticulously re-mastered, this new and improved version of Operation Doomsday sounds better than any version you've heard before. In addition to the album, Metal Face also stuffed the package with a second disc featuring a grip of hard to find and never released alternate versions, b-sides, and instrumentals, straight from the brain of Metal Fingerz DOOM himself.

If all that wasn't enough, they also crammed a 32 page lyric book featuring the Supervillain's recently "unclassified" rhymes. Every track is there for you to study up on.

All of the artwork on this project has been re-envisioned by artist Jason Jagel, the man behind MF DOOM's critically acclaimed "MM..Food" album, and may we add - he did a stellar job!

And if all that wasn't enough, Metal Face Records even tossed in an Operation Doomsday trading card set which features all your favorite heroes and villains in one sealed pack; Kurious, Rodan, Tommy Gunn, DJ Cucumber Slice and more!

Supplies on this are limited.
    Once again....
    :gizz:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #236
    April 2010
    1,241 Posts
    To everyone saying rap was only good in the 90s, you just have to look. Don't automatically dismiss rap made in the last several years, that's about as bad as saying all rap is bad and refusing to listen to any.
    February, 2010
    July, 2010
    November, 2010
    May, 2010
    ?, 2010 (Mixtape)
    March, 2010

Most of the shit you hear on the radio isn't so much rap as poppy R&B.

37. Post #237
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,209 Posts
    I never said there wasn't still good stuff out there, I'm very aware of it because I do look for stuff. I've heard pretty much every song posted in this thread, and all of the songs you posted other than Yelawolf, which sounds terrible to me.

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts

Diabolic ft Nocando, Mac Lethal, Ex-I, Wrekonize, Calliz, Grunge Toefu, SP-83, Okwerdz - Too Many Rappers

39. Post #239
    April 2010
    1,241 Posts
    I never said there wasn't still good stuff out there, I'm very aware of it because I do look for stuff. I've heard pretty much every song posted in this thread, and all of the songs you posted other than Yelawolf, which sounds terrible to me.
    I almost didn't include Yelawolf, because he's really white trash, but a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

40. Post #240
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Best sample ever. Who ever samples Sanford and Son is fucking epic.

Also, this was produced by Quincy Jones, the guy who produced Michael Jackson's Thriller. haha