1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    In response to the "New Idea: Steam Nicknames!" thread, I decided I'd take it upon myself to develop a program capable of actually doing what the OP was looking for.

Here's a quick video to show it in action: http://screencast.com/t/pVGdyX2a

You might be wondering how this is possible. The answer is very simple: Valve already implemented nicknames or "aliases" for friends. All the functionality exists, but there is no way to access it within Steam. This is why I made this quick tool.

You can download the latest versions here: https://bitbucket.org/VoiDeD/open-steamworks/downloads

As always, with most software, there are bound to be bugs and other various issues. Make sure to let me know of any issues you encounter, and any suggestions are welcome too.

Also, the source code is available for public viewing here: https://bitbucket.org/VoiDeD/open-st...FriendManager/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 67Useful x 10Funny x 4Friendly x 2Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,046 Posts
    You are the best. Have my babies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,398 Posts

:love:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 33Funny Funny x 9Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,711 Posts
    this will help so much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,030 Posts
    Now I can rename everyone to "ANNOYING CUNT".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 46Agree x 5Friendly x 2Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2007
    7,711 Posts
    It's kinda hard to scroll though. I can't get past my first few friends without it making it impossible to read who they are or see their avatar. Minimizing also makes it unable to be retrieved.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,807 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Funny Funny x 6Late Late x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2007
    7,711 Posts
    I was gonna post me giving you some name but then I found out you removed me

probably a long time ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    i never added you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Zing Zing x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    It's kinda hard to scroll though. I can't get past my first few friends without it making it impossible to read who they are or see their avatar. Minimizing also makes it unable to be retrieved.
    Can you get me a screenshot of what you're experiencing?

I've had this issue before but my friend list is too small to test this myself.

12. Post #12
    July 2007
    7,711 Posts
    i never added you
    yeah you did

apparently so long ago you forgot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    it cuts off after a certain length
    and its hard to scroll because it makes the entire list blank and flashy

14. Post #14
    July 2007
    7,711 Posts

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    goddamn it is annoying to scroll

but the cutoff fixed itself

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    I'll see what I can do.

17. Post #17
    April 2010
    185 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 10 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    After a quick test with Conro101, it seems that the scrolling issue has been fixed.

Download link remains the same: -snip-

File location has moved to: http://tracker.limetech.org/projects/osw/files

19. Post #19
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    There's also one thing I'd love to see in Steam, and that's contact groups. It'd help so much if I could sort people by "random youtubers who add me" "modders" "fellow tf2 players" etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 35 (list)

20. Post #20
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    14,842 Posts
    Now I just wish you could sorta do this with people, but with avatars. And for yourself. Make your avatar appear like something specific to certain people, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    14,102 Posts
    Now I just wish you could sorta do this with people, but with avatars. And for yourself. Make your avatar appear like something specific to certain people, etc.
    something like xbox lives profile pics where the public see one image but friends see another?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    July 2009
    4,181 Posts
    From the video:
    "look ma no hand
    s"

Edited:

Just tested it. E-mail Valve NOW.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,438 Posts
    Useful. So many people add me and I forget who they are after a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,320 Posts
    You are amazing. I love you for this.

25. Post #25
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

26. Post #26

April 2010
    320 Posts
    Also, will this get me VAC banned?
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    May 2010
    930 Posts
    If you calling your friends "annoying cunts" why won't you delete them from your friend list?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    July 2010
    697 Posts
    i love you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2010
    11,826 Posts
    If you calling your friends "annoying cunts" why won't you delete them from your friend list?
    Because unless you tell them, they're totally unaware of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2008
    740 Posts
    Oh god, this is so fucking awesome.

32. Post #32
    Naci's Sidekick
    July 2010
    7,643 Posts
    Should be officially added to Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2009
    1,147 Posts
    hi ma
    look ma no hand
    s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,339 Posts
    this is amazing.
    Thankyou!!! :toot:

35. Post #35
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    26,211 Posts
    hi ma
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,040 Posts
    What's that steam skin?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,594 Posts
    Can we get one that will put the nick name in parentheses rather than the name?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,339 Posts
    What's that steam skin?
    old broken version of this http://www.gamebanana.com/guis/23122

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    5,311 Posts
    Now you should do custom Status.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    8,183 Posts
    This is incredible. Exactly the kind of tool I've always wanted.

Just thought I'd let you know, though, that it doesn't seem to parse non-standard unicode characters very well. For example: If I put in "Über", which is his current name and should just result in "Über", it turns into "?ber (Über)".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)