1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,142 Posts
    If you blur up the blood on the screen it actually looks really good. Take for example brothers in arms:

looks fairly realistic and non-intrusive, but still produces that "oh fuck i just got shot, better find cover" feeling.
    Not really realistic since you usually don't get blood in your eyes when you are shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Late Late x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,916 Posts
    on the subject of visuals for when you're injured: I think a very slight tunnel vision and a well made creeping darkness on the edges of the screen would work really well. maybe depth of field too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,758 Posts
    Also gun firing should be more impactful and immersive than it is in most games. Guns should feel pretty wild and powerful, not like little spammy pewpew machines like in CoD games.

Edited:
    but don't make it like CS where the guns fucking spray everywhere like they're made out of jello and operated by a 12 year old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

4. Post #484
    September 2009
    9,817 Posts
    on the subject of visuals for when you're injured: I think a very slight tunnel vision and a well made creeping darkness on the edges of the screen would work really well. maybe depth of field too?
    Slight tunnel vision and darkness on the edges of the screen yeah, but slight - I totally hate when I'm dying and I can't see shit.
    And an increasing depth of field would be fucking rad aswell.
    Maybe increase head bobbing as you get injured, too?

Edited:

Also a suggestion is add a Gears of War-like reload mechanic, where you reload a bit faster if you hit it on time, and add DoF to the reload animation if you don't hit reload on time.
    It could make for some technique
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    Dennab
    February 2010
    5,925 Posts
    ITT: 3 page discussion on how screen effects will be when wounded
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #486
    March 2010
    1,396 Posts
    ITT: 3 page discussion on how screen effects will be when wounded
    It's very important, though. In Call of Duty I get shot and say, "Goddamnit I don't care if I die just get this jelly off my screen." Or in Gears of War, "Oh I'm getting shot, I have feedback, so I should get to cover, too bad I can't see my crosshair because it's got a skull appearing on it."
    Whereas in games with healthbars and no regenerating health I would micromanage to the point of obsession.

It's a pretty hard thing to pull off well, I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #487
    Snoberator
    January 2005
    5,534 Posts
    I like CoD4's method the best, with the pulsing retinae around the edges of the screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

8. Post #488
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,772 Posts
    If you shoot people in the throat they should make gagging noises when they die. The RNL team did that and it sounded hella badass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,758 Posts
    If you shoot people in the throat they should make gagging noises when they die. The RNL team did that and it sounded hella badass.
    and fountains of blood
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,791 Posts
    Red shit on the screen is retarded. Why the hell would there be droplets of blood ON YOUR PUPIL and in focus? The smallest droplet of blood would be big enough to cover your entire pupil with red, and it wouldn't get in your eye anyways because you would blink it away. Maybe it'd make sense if you were wearing goggles or something, but then only if you got shot in the face. I think just some blurring and darkening/vignetting would be a lot more believable.
    It looks cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #491
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,151 Posts
    Thankfully ME2 was brightly lit enough that it didn't happen.
    It's usually game and level designers that are responsible for making places easy to memorize and navigate. Dark areas can be as easily navigated as bright ones if done right. It's one thing that separates good designers from bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #492
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,722 Posts
    add depth of field to ironsights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,311 Posts
    That's the kind of effect I'm talking about. You need to go "shit i need cover so he can't make me vulnerable again" instead of just returning fire in a blink of an eye after being hit.
    Actually the blurriness in insurgency is when it flies past you, if you get hit the screen goes red and a little bit darker for a second or two, and it doubles your vision for a short while as well. If you had a lot of health, that would probably get annoying but in Insurgency you can only survive a couple of hits so it's not that intrusive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts
    If there's an explosion like 40-60m away from you and you're not in cover, make it so you "feel the shockwave". Like by blurring the vision for a really short time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

15. Post #495
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    I'm coding a primitive HUD atm thanks to Lazy GFX artists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

16. Post #496
    Dennab
    October 2009
    938 Posts
    Not really realistic since you usually don't get blood in your eyes when you are shot.
    Who gives a shit, it adds to the immersion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    June 2007
    123 Posts
    Who gives a shit, it adds to the immersion.
    I'd much rather have the player model reflect the wounds that are inflicted. If you can look down and see yourself, it'd be awesome to see bullet holes and whatnot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

18. Post #498
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,558 Posts
    I'd much rather have the player model reflect the wounds that are inflicted. If you can look down and see yourself, it'd be awesome to see bullet holes and whatnot.
    I'd love a system like in Far Cry 2, where you have to pull bullets out and patch up wounds and whatnot. That was p. cool imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,869 Posts
    I don't suppose it's possible to make the NPCs throw up when melee'd in the stomach, is it?

Edited:

Why did I word it like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,144 Posts
    Of ocurse it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #501
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    I don't suppose it's possible to make the NPCs throw up when melee'd in the stomach, is it?

Edited:

Why did I word it like that.
    It is possible, but does it actually happen? I haven't heard that if you get stabbed in the stomach, you throw up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,869 Posts
    Well if you were really unfit and you were running around, out of breath, pissing yourself from being shot at, I'm sure you'd feel a tad sick, and would most likely throw up when it the stomach with the butt of a rifle.

Besides, it would look cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #503
    August 2010
    869 Posts

i personally can't see it happening i'm afraid, not like this anyway.

joke animation, by the way, no chance of this getting into the files.

EDIT: unless of course this vomiting thing catches on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #504
    April 2010
    2,446 Posts
    When you punch someone with the butt of your rifle in the stomach, they should fall over with vomit flying across the screen. More immersion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 12Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,218 Posts
    I want to have sex with this mod.

When is it being released?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,869 Posts

i personally can't see it happening i'm afraid, not like this anyway.
    That's how pussies throw up. Projectile ftw.

27. Post #507
    August 2010
    869 Posts
    That's how pussies throw up. Projectile ftw.
    most people act like pussies after being given a hefty thwack with an ak47 butt. i know i would!

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts
    When you punch someone with the butt of your rifle in the stomach, they should fall over with vomit flying across the screen. More immersion
    Hyper-realistic vomit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,928 Posts
    I'd love a system like in Far Cry 2, where you have to pull bullets out and patch up wounds and whatnot. That was p. cool imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 7 (list)

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,134 Posts
    Oh god I loved that glitch.

I wasn't sure if anyone else had ever figured it out.

Come out of the water and suddenly your fingers are broken or a metal pipe got jammed into your leg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts

01:45 and forward.
    Some of them are really balls to the walls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 11Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,053 Posts
    Oh god what.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #513
    nox
    March 2007
    2,204 Posts
    AWW MADDA FUCKER

I love the re-bar in the gut animation, never got that one before
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

34. Post #514
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,675 Posts
    add depth of field to ironsights
    lET'S CODE A SHADER

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #515
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,722 Posts

01:45 and forward.
    Some of them are really balls to the walls.
    best animations in any game ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

36. Post #516
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,258 Posts
    best animations in any game ever
    Too bad the game wasn't as good as it could've been :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

37. Post #517
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    771 Posts
    I still wince just as much as I did while playing FC2, watching those healing animations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #518
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,903 Posts
    0:34 - oh god does that guy feel no pain or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

39. Post #519
    October 2010
    2,063 Posts
    1:31, fuckin' shit, they didn't even add an "OW FUCK!" recording for these things?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    Ugh I hate the one where he digs the plyers into his skin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)