1. Post #3801
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,834 Posts
    What is a good starting kingdom for a player who haven't played before? Only played the tutorial.
    Probably Swadia, but I think any of them are good for a start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

2. Post #3802
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    As far as I know, Swadians are more about two handed swords, Rhodoks are your crossbowman/shielder hybrid.

For a new guy it's probably best to go Shielder, so Rhodok would be good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

3. Post #3803
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,474 Posts
    Swadia gets three-wayed throughout the entire game, I'd suggest Vaegir or Nords
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3804
    October 2010
    10,392 Posts
    Goddamn singleplayer is hard...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3805
    February 2010
    186 Posts
    I was talking about warband where most weapons have 4 directions.
    Haha, I only played M&M and now NW.

A stab can be chambered with an overhead as can an overhead be chambered with an overhead of your own which is why overheads and stabs are the easiest to chamber but it doesn't work like that with multi directional weapons.
    And yes, correct. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

6. Post #3806
    January 2009
    1,906 Posts
    Nords are probably the best to start off with, solid infantry and decent archers. Their Huscarls are probably the best footsoldiers in the game and are good at assaulting settlements because of their large shields. They only thing they fall down on is cavalry, but you can easily hire some mercenaries or get them from Swadia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #3807
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,898 Posts
    I love starting with the Vaegers, they are in the center of the map and have pretty good access to everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #3808
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,769 Posts
    I started with Nords, I love Viking types.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #3809
    Dennab
    September 2008
    1,149 Posts
    Ugh... Always when I start the game, I get raped, raped, raped and raped...
    I have tried everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

10. Post #3810
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,738 Posts
    Infantry:
    Nords", Rhodoks, Swads/Sarranid*, Vaegers'
    "most nord huscarls( final tier) carry throwing weapons
    *anything under the final tier of sarranid infantry uses padded armor, although their top tier uses mail.
    'Vaeger guards (final tier) have not shields, but they have high damage with their two handed axes and have good armor

Ranged:
    Rhodoks/Vaegers
    As far as i'm concerned everything else is 'meh'
    Rhodoks have highers strength than other ranged troops so they can hold their own better if they get locked down. Their Siege Crossbows can 1-2 shot most things under the final tier, but they shoot slower than the Vaeger marksman

Cav:
    Swads/Sarranid
    I'm not quite sure what the second best are to those two are, but an army completely made of Swadian knights/ mamalukes is literally unbeatable in the field

Also with the neutral bandits i think it goes:
    looters
    forest bandits
    mountain bandits
    sea raiders

Sea raiders give nice armor and weapons and are great for transitioning early to mid game, but they're the equivalent to nordic warriors (looking at their armor) Once I get a decent amount of men I grind these guys to level up my army. They have a few archers dispersed throughout them but they're usually no big deal. I just kite them around while on my horse and it's usually not that hard to take out a group of 12~ solo

As for the forest/ mountain bandits I don't really bother since all of them are ranged and it's more trouble than it's really worth.

Ignore steppe and desert bandits. They're all mounted and are just a headache.

Help out villages as much as possible. The more they like you the more men join you and the higher tier they are. An indifferent village (0) might give you 3 nord recruits, but my loyal village (80~) will give me 12 nord warriors.

Set up velvet private enterprises. They'll make a ton of money anywhere that's not Rivacheg most of the time.

If a skill is listed as "party" save it for heroes you can bring on unless it's super important. Level personal skills (riding, leadership, etc)
    Party skills i personally level up are path finding and training.
    Jeremus is a great medic, i suggest finding him quickly
    Lezalit is a great trainer, I suggest finding him also

uhh...

Nord huscarls for sieges, swadian knights/sarranid mamalukes for the field, couple of rhodok/vaeger archers as you see fit

Oh yeah, you can also kinda cheat the system by buying salt in Wercheg (50-100) and selling it in Rivacheg (200-3000. Profits are usually 200~ per unit

This is all i can think of in terms of general starting information. Hope it helps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #3811
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,064 Posts
    Oh FUCK

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #3812
    Gay Member #1
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,517 Posts
    Just installed Blood and Steel

Loving it so far

Undead Army... Never again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #3813
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,719 Posts
    Swadia gets three-wayed throughout the entire game, I'd suggest Vaegir or Nords
    It depends. If swadia gets off to a good start they generally steamroll people with their heavy cavalry.
    Statistically speaking though, Nords are likely to do best. The majority of Nord troops are level 25-28 so they always tend to win field battles that you aren't around for. And siege battles. And siege defenses.

Nords are OP as fuck, actually.

Swadians are always at war though so if you always want to be fighting people, Swadian is probably your best bet. Lots of battle opportunities.

14. Post #3814
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,636 Posts
    I capture a castle as a rebel on Fire and Sword and then instantly after 6 leaders with like 100+ guys attack me and besiege... Almost impossible for me to take castles by myself; any suggestions?

15. Post #3815
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,719 Posts
    So is the Floris mod pack a really ~wacky~ piece of shit with all sorts of imbalances, or is it just warband with tonnes of new content?

Edited:

I capture a castle as a rebel on Fire and Sword and then instantly after 6 leaders with like 100+ guys attack me and besiege... Almost impossible for me to take castles by myself; any suggestions?
    On my raider asshole character build I took Minsk from the swedes (they left 23 soldiers in the garrison so I basically just told them to GTFO and they left) and instilled a garrison of about 400 tavern mercenaries. I only make about 700 coins a month from it between the garrison and the taxes; but nobody has come knocking yet.

The trick is just to put such a superfluous volume of troops in it that most kingdoms simply wont bother trying to take it... they'll just look for easier targets.

Also if you've pissed off every kingdom, that's why. It's always good to have only 1-2 enemy kingdoms at any time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3816
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,906 Posts
    Installed the basic/game play version of Floris, but I haven't noticed any changes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events

17. Post #3817
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,041 Posts
    I fancy playing some multiplayer for the first time despite having played warband for months.

Any recommended mods?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #3818
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts

Loving it so far

Dude Undead Army is the fucking best. You level up like 7 times in one battle early on. Plus you get like 500k from them which lets you buy mercanaries which lets you take a castle which lets you draft an infinite amount of units for a low price which lets you take over all of Calderia in a year or two.
    Pro-tip: Horse charges do like 50 damage instead of 5 like in Native. Swadians and Khanate own it the fuck up in Blood and Steel.

19. Post #3819
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    As if Swadian knights needed to be made more effective...

20. Post #3820
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,161 Posts
    I picked up a jousting lance for taking prisoners before I went into my first battle against an enemy that isn't bandits.
    Holy shit, I'm like a dermatologist lancing boyars every day!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #3821
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    As if Swadian knights needed to be made more effective...
    Even better you can hire them directly from villages. Blood and Steel is Warband easy-easy-easy-easy mode

22. Post #3822
    February 2010
    186 Posts
    So is the Floris mod pack a really ~wacky~ piece of shit with all sorts of imbalances, or is it just warband with tonnes of new content?
    The latter!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

23. Post #3823
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    mother of fucking god. I became a Jarl after I helped take over the city of Curfaw. Well, I was defending my city after I heard reports of enemies in the area - and I look to see the entire army of Vageirs - including their King. I began to shit myself, as it was nearly 600 on my measly 250.

After a week (in game, lol) and many losses, I repelled their forces for good. It only cost me my entire personal army, 50% of my city's garrison and my own sanity.

After their fourth and final siege wave, the rest of my fucking Jarls and King came a riding through and scared them off. I was so pissed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #3824
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,636 Posts
    Also if you've pissed off every kingdom, that's why. It's always good to have only 1-2 enemy kingdoms at any time.
    Nope, only one enemy. It was the Cossacks that were my enemy.

Also, I don't get enough time after taking the castle to go hire troops; a short while after they come knocking the front door down with groups of 4-5 leaders with 100 men+ men in each group.

25. Post #3825
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,761 Posts

Oh fuck.

OH FUCK

Edited:

This guy gives 0 fucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #3826
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,719 Posts
    Nope, only one enemy. It was the Cossacks that were my enemy.
    My people (human beings) have a saying.

"Don't piss off the Cossacks."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #3827
    April 2010
    1,732 Posts
    How do I get it so I can have a bigger army, I know your renown and leadership increases it, but I can have about 85 people, and some people have 150 - 250. How the hell do you get that many?

28. Post #3828
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,869 Posts

Loving it so far

can you actually have undead armies?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #3829
    Gay Member #1
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,517 Posts
    I dont know, but I had a troop of 14 men vs an Undead Army that was roaming around added by that mod Blood and Steel and then bam

240 vs 14

I killed 2

30. Post #3830
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,947 Posts
    Thinking of reinstalling Warband, what are some good mods? I'd love a good fantasy mod or just one that improves the campaign.
    Looking through the mod forums is a pain, also because there isn't always an easily accessible thread that states what the mod is about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #3831
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    can you actually have undead armies?
    No, but you if you get lucky, you can get a skeleton horse as a part of the loot. It's one of the worst horses, but it's a goddamn skeleton horse, so I kept it.

So I'm trying to do a sort of "Knights of Ye Olde Fuckshitup" by hiring every companion and was wondering if any option is best when a companion whines about another companion. So far I've been choosing the first one for everybody to make sure the pent up rage is evenly distributed.

32. Post #3832
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    What's a good year? I'm at 1967 Warband hours played on Steam and need to decide when to stop playing forever so that I stop having these horrible dreams where I can't manual block the spiders and I have to go to the bathroom but there's archers in the hallway. Horrible nightmares every night, someone help!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #3833
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,487 Posts
    I have prisoners on Warband, what do I do with them?

34. Post #3834
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    Hire them, sell them to a Ransom Broker, or sell them to Ramun at Tihr.

35. Post #3835
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,241 Posts
    I got With Fire and Sword, and I have to say, holding onto a city in a war-torn area with battles raging between 3 nations while you have 25 people in your garrison and you are a level 3 is pretty dang hard, especially when there are 400+ troops outside who want to murder you and make your head their new flag.

36. Post #3836
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,747 Posts
    How should I go about owning a city, fortress, castle, anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #3837
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,487 Posts
    Hire them, sell them to a Ransom Broker, or sell them to Ramun at Tihr.
    The only options I have are to talk and disband. If I talk I tell them not to escape. Where are Ransom brokers? Are there prisoner caravans or somesuch I ought to find?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3838
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,186 Posts
    The only options I have are to talk and disband. If I talk I tell them not to escape. Where are Ransom brokers? Are there prisoner caravans or somesuch I ought to find?
    You have to go into the camp tab and select "Take an action". Ransom Brokers move around among cities. You can find them in Taverns.

39. Post #3839
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,241 Posts
    How should I go about owning a city, fortress, castle, anything
    The easiest way that I've seen is wait for a castle to be sieged, after the attack and all the troops go away simply take the town who probably have ~30 people in their garrison.

Also, go for the towns they give you the most amount of money in taxes IIRC.

40. Post #3840

April 2012
    2 Posts
    it's probably best to sell them to Ransom Broker over hiring them in your army since having troops from different faction can dismoral your troops, but overall having prisoners isn't such a big income in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)