1. Post #121
    Page 4 plox

Edited:

woot shitty page king
    I demand boxes so I may make a crown
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,826 Posts
    Jesus some of us need to post a complete list of sick old computer gear. I have 1 (one) copy of windows 3.1...
    I've got two copies of 3.0, and some other random drivers and such I found at what seemed to be an old computer repair place.

also found the sixth disk of 3.1, but none of the others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #123
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    Huzzah fixed the Amiga 500! Just needed a cleaning . Considering setting up a live stream for some of the games such as Indiana Jones so we can get people playing the real thing (sort of)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,663 Posts
    So it's just Vancouver that has insane prices?
    Yes.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/business/4097300/story.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

5. Post #125
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts
    So it's just Vancouver that has insane prices?
    I beleive it has the most expensive real estate for every class (if you consider a lower class house starting at $300000 for something the size of a Wal-mart garden shed).
    I'm sure Toronto is up there, as would be Calgary.
    My current place is the smallest house on the whole block. Just to be able to afford rent to live in HALF the house costs us (two roommates) each $533 a month. If I was living alone, that's $1600 a month I'm paying for a shithole.
    Halifax has it fucking made. You get a house the size of a North Van mansion for $250000.

Edit: shit. I got ninja'd by almost a full hour.

6. Post #126
    September 2010
    959 Posts
    Ah, that really does suck. Are you in college now, or at a job that tethers you to Vancouver? Cause if not, I'd try to get as far away as possible and find some reasonable prices.

7. Post #127
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Everything after that, I'm still illiterate about.
    Sandy Bridge?
    Tualatin?
    Can I buy a vowel?
    Fuck, I don't even know how to use an iPhone!
    Not much to know about Tualatin. It was the last Pentium 3 core revision after the Coppermine, more of a die shrink than anything. It was really only made for the server market and ran at speeds between 1000 MHz and 1400 MHz. It had between 256kb and 512kb of cache and ran at bus speeds of 100 or 133 MHz (100 MHz for the Celeron Tualatins.)

Random fact: The 1400 MHz PIII-S Tualatin core wasn't matched in performance until the Pentium 4 reached 1700 MHz. A dual PIII-S Tualatin workstation at 1400 MHz and DDR RAM could keep pace with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz in threaded applications. I have such a machine (it cost me a pretty penny back in 2002 when I bought it. I think the board was $400 and both CPUs were $350 each) It still runs like a champ all these years later.

I love the sound of that hard drive for some reason.
    Many hard drives in that vintage didn't use arms with voice coils, they used a paper thin metal ribbon that a stepper motor rolled up and reeled out to move the head back and forth, kind of like some 5.25" drives did. That's why it made that unique sound, rather than the ticking/rattling of modern drives.

You can guess why they stopped making hard drives like that though. The rolling up and reeling out that thin metal ribbon eventually fatigued the metal to the point of breaking and rendered the drive useless. Since the ribbon was a precise length, replacing it was pretty much impossible.

It's a fact that there are only SEVEN known programs that were ever released for the Lisa:
    -LisaWrite
    -LisaCalc
    -LisaGraph
    -LisaList
    -LisaProject
    -LisaDraw
    -LisaTerminal

Also, it uses oval pixels which on their own are really weird.
    I think the shadow mask uses oval perforations, but the phosphor pattern on the screen is rectangular. In any case, it's awful.

Awesome idea for a LAN case. Small LCD and a mini-ITX board in a Lisa case.
    Real men use the existing CRT, or replace it with a similar sized color CRT to keep the vintage look.

8. Post #128
    I'm dumb! You don't have an excuse!
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Real men use the existing CRT, or replace it with a similar sized color CRT to keep the vintage look.
    Playing a game on 0val pix31s :frogc00l:

9. Post #129
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,834 Posts
    Major minecraft incompatibility.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    January 2011
    1,511 Posts
    p.s. i played Blood on my old pc i mentioned, also, windows ME fuck yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #131
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,307 Posts
    Not much to know about Tualatin. It was the last Pentium 3 core revision after the Coppermine, more of a die shrink than anything. It was really only made for the server market and ran at speeds between 1000 MHz and 1400 MHz. It had between 256kb and 512kb of cache and ran at bus speeds of 100 or 133 MHz (100 MHz for the Celeron Tualatins.)

Random fact: The 1400 MHz PIII-S Tualatin core wasn't matched in performance until the Pentium 4 reached 1700 MHz. A dual PIII-S Tualatin workstation at 1400 MHz and DDR RAM could keep pace with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz in threaded applications. I have such a machine (it cost me a pretty penny back in 2002 when I bought it. I think the board was $400 and both CPUs were $350 each) It still runs like a champ all these years later.
    I had a 1.4 Ghz Tualatin Celeron CPU PC up until a year ago. I put 512 MB of RAM and a 8400GS in it, and it actually was REALLY decent. Youtube videos were a bit of a hurdle, but Garry's Mod ran great and had no problems with Photoshop CS4.

12. Post #132
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    I had a 1.4 Ghz Tualatin Celeron CPU PC up until a year ago. I put 512 MB of RAM and a 8400GS in it, and it actually was REALLY decent. Youtube videos were a bit of a hurdle, but Garry's Mod ran great and had no problems with Photoshop CS4.
    The Pentium 3 was a really good chip. I remember asking myself back when the Pentium 4 was released "Why didn't they just continue the P3 architecture, Netburst is terrible." It took Intel 6 years and billions of dollars to realize that. Even then, it almost completely slipped by them because the ONLY Intel team that was working on something derived from the P3 architecture was supposedly a small development team in Israel.

I think the ultimate P3 machine was with the i840 chipset with dual Tualatin CPUs, RAMBUS and AGP 4x. It was the pinnacle of Pentium 3 power. Unfortunately, a setup like that was very rare, and is almost impossible to find today.

13. Post #133
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts
    No.
    RAMBUS by all accounts was AWFUL.
    It still is awful. It will always remain AWFUL.
    Even the company itself is ass. The only reason they still exist is because they constantly sue everyone and demand royalties for technologies they never really actually made.

14. Post #134
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    No.
    RAMBUS by all accounts was AWFUL.
    It still is awful. It will always remain AWFUL.
    Even the company itself is ass. The only reason they still exist is because they constantly sue everyone and demand royalties for technologies they never really actually made.
    RAMBUS is awful in most situations because it was around 4x the cost of DDR at the time, but in that specific situation it was the best solution. PC-133 has a maximum bandwidth of 1064 MB/s, but in reality most PC-133 got 1/4 or 1/2 that speed at best. RAMBUS has a maximum bandwidth of 6400 MB/s, and since the only P3 chipsets that supported DDR were non-intel made and flaky at best, RAMBUS was the way to go for maximum memory performance.

It has small niche applications, but most of the time it is terrible.

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    RAMBUS is awful in most situations because it was around 4x the cost of DDR at the time, but in that specific situation it was the best solution. PC-133 has a maximum bandwidth of 1064 MB/s, but in reality most PC-133 got 1/4 or 1/2 that speed at best. RAMBUS has a maximum bandwidth of 6400 MB/s, and since the only P3 chipsets that supported DDR were non-intel made and flaky at best, RAMBUS was the way to go for maximum memory performance.

It has small niche applications, but most of the time it is terrible.
    Flaky chipset design and DDR ram OR decent chipset + flaky AND expensive RAMBUS ram.
    Yeah, I think i can live with a flaky chipset.

16. Post #136
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Flaky chipset design and DDR ram OR decent chipset + flaky AND expensive RAMBUS ram.
    Yeah, I think i can live with a flaky chipset.
    There's nothing wrong with the RAMBUS memory standard, many people still use it, or variants of it today. The problem is with the company, and how they're all idiots with their IP.

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    There's nothing wrong with the RAMBUS memory standard, many people still use it, or variants of it today. The problem is with the company, and how they're all idiots with their IP.
    And that includes ridiculously high pricetag.
    ALSO: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...inuity_modules
    What the hell did they think when designing it?
    Weren't they smart enough to make a chipset that auto detects what slot is populated and what slot that isn't??

18. Post #138
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    And that includes ridiculously high pricetag.
    That's why I said they were idiots with their IP.

ALSO: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...inuity_modules
    What the hell did they think when designing it?
    Weren't they smart enough to make a chipset that auto detects what slot is populated and what slot that isn't??
    The SCSI bus requires termination, which used to be solely done with a discrete terminator dongle, but modern SCSI controllers can do self-termination, or use the dongle method. Token Ring networks required termination (or having the ring loop completed.) Requiring CRIMMs is really no different, and it's not that big of a deal to get them since they were sold basically at production cost. (like $5 max iirc)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    That's why I said they were idiots with their IP.

The SCSI bus requires termination, which used to be solely done with a discrete terminator dongle, but modern SCSI controllers can do self-termination, or use the dongle method. Token Ring networks required termination (or having the ring loop completed.) Requiring CRIMMs is really no different, and it's not that big of a deal to get them since they were sold basically at production cost. (like $5 max iirc)
    Still, it's good in concept, but it's horrible in reality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    October 2008
    815 Posts
    Gah... I wish i had an Amiga and C64... but i can't and probably never will have one. And after i get one of them, how i will get any soft for it? Yeah, i use emulators but that's like licking a lollipop thru a wrapper. Yeah, i am only 14 years old (gonna be 15 this year) but they attract me for some strange reason...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,182 Posts
    Maaan. I wish I had cool old stuff like this. The only relatively cool thing I have is a Pentium Pro :saddowns:
    and a parallel switcher thingamabob.

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,663 Posts
    Gah... I wish i had an Amiga and C64... but i can't and probably never will have one. And after i get one of them, how i will get any soft for it? Yeah, i use emulators but that's like licking a lollipop thru a wrapper. Yeah, i am only 14 years old (gonna be 15 this year) but they attract me for some strange reason...
    When I had my PowerBook 150, I created a null modem cable (A serial cable for connecting two PCs together) to transfer things back and forth from my P4 machine. I used StarGate to do the transferring:
    http://sites.google.com/site/68kmacw...ransferarchive

Not sure if you can do the same on a C64, though I remember someone sending stuff to an Apple 2 with only a few commands typed into it.

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    90 Posts
    The Amiga can have files transferred to it using a serial cable and something called Amiga Explorer. The Commodore 64 1581 drive can read PC-formatted floppy disks. I use both of those things to transfer files, and they work great.

24. Post #144
    April 2008
    903 Posts
    I don't know if some of these count by your guys standards, but I've got a PowerBook G3 with Mac OS 9 & 10.2, an old laptop that had DOS on it, battery on it's dead though :smith:, and a Dell desktop from 1999 with Windows 98.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    You wanna know what real men do? Real men use the Lisa itself in a LAN Party. Playin LisaCalc with my homeboys :frogc00l:

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    You wanna know what real men do? Real men use the Lisa itself in a LAN Party. Playin LisaCalc with my homeboys :frogc00l:
    What homeboys?? :raise:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    What homeboys?? :raise:
    :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Playing a game on 0val pix31s :frogc00l:
    Which is why I said replace it. They make color CRTs of the same size that you could easily get 640x480 and maybe 720x480 out of.

29. Post #149
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts

30. Post #150
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts
    Run it with MacWorks and then you got yourself a Lisa that is compatible with Macintosh software.
    Break out the AppleTalk cables because tonight we are playing multiplayer SpaceTrek and MazeWars. :pcgaming:

:siren:INCOMING ALERT:siren:

I have been notified that some more gear might be flowing into our shop today af a particular age stating no later than the early 80's.
    This 'gun be good.

31. Post #151
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Thats been left in the loft for years, note the terrible discolouration.
    My amiga's been used for nearly all of its lifetime and its still a nice clean white.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #152
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Thats been left in the loft for years, note the terrible discolouration.
    My amiga's been used for nearly all of its lifetime and its still a nice clean white.
    True, it is rather superbeige, but other than that it boots and works well, but I just don't have a thousand dollars to spend on it. I was more of wondering on what a reasonable price range for a Lisa is.

33. Post #153
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    True, it is rather superbeige, but other than that it boots and works well, but I just don't have a thousand dollars to spend on it. I was more of wondering on what a reasonable price range for a Lisa is.
    Since the Lisa is a vintage item, there is no 'reasonable' price associated with it. You're basically at the mercy of the person that owns it and their sentimental pricetag associated with it.

Your best chance of finding one at a reasonable price is searching thrift stores, old computer parts stores and junk yards.

34. Post #154
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts
    That's a nice Mac XL with a widget drive.
    Lisa's normally were sold with that yellowed color similar to the Macintosh.
    Also, the XL was a "converted" Lisa in that it had the video ROM swapped so it displayed square pixels (!!!) and came with a disk that acted like the Amiga 1000 Kickstart floppy and allowed you to then boot into MacOS instead of LisaOS. With the Widget drive however that process of bootstrapping becomes automatic so effectively the Lisa becomes a Macintosh with 1mb ram and a 5 or 10mb hard drive.
    $1000 though seems a bit much but hey, some fanboy is totally going to cream their pants over that.
    I paid $150 for mine but it needed serious TLC to get working again. (leaking battery ate up traces that I had to recreate them using schematics and wire wrap, the video was dead, the floppy was jammed, and the panels were painted black)

Also, the notice I got didn't lie. Around lunchtime we had a dropoff from another computer shop that recently closed and they left us their display items.

We got boxes of 9-track tape, four different disk packs (the largest being 30mb in size), a random board, and some Z80-based computer that we have yet to figure out what the hell it is. It looks like S-100 but it's not.

There are some times Most of the time I'm shitting my pants worrying if they will lay me off because my sales are shit but the rest of the time I'm swimming in fucking awesome gear. I never thought that I would end up selling refurbished Apple II computers for a living.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

35. Post #155
    Look at that just right and it looks like a mini city...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #156
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Look at that just right and it looks like a mini city...
    The ORIGINAL Sim City
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,846 Posts
    I've got an socket 462 Athlon from 1999 at a speed around ~1GHz, with a Zalman cooler. Would anyone be interested in that, and maybe a GeForce 4? They should be working, but I can't test the Athlon. I know this isn't really "retro", but well, it's spare parts, and I don't think anyone outside this thread could make a use of either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

38. Post #158
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts
    Content BuMP.

Recycling source landed me two more scores today.

Bad news first:
    There was a 600mb Digital RA82 fixed disk drive I spotted today that was not for sale. The ecycler has a strict data destruction policy where all drives that come must run through DBAN. If thy are not compatible with the DBAN system, they are destroyed.

Anyways, the good news was that I found the systems it went with.

First was a PDP-11/23-turned-MicroVAX 4000-minicomputer.

Nothing overly special. It's just a symbiote VAX that took up residence in an old PDP-11/23 which in the first place was a pretty cheap system.
    Cool thing is that it has 64mb ram (someone had deep pockets) and a SCSI card.
    The real gold was finding the beast: a PDP-11/84.

Now THAT's more like it. It's not one of the "classic" systems with the colorful front panels with switches and lights but it IS a PDP.
    The fun thing was that they were so complex at the time, even the CPU could not be made into one chip as the technology to do so did not yet exist. Instead they made two separate chips, then put them on ANOTHER chip which they then called the CPU.

My system also requires a key to start. I had one as a doodad but it was misplaced when I moved. It's probably boxed somewhere. Anyways, I had to use pliers to manually power the system on.

Status 1! It works!

There were also a few other boards that were not in it but I can put in there if I prefer. One of this is the optional Floating Point processor. Again, it's divided over several chips.
    In this case, sixteen with the rest of the chips on the board being the glue logic that linked the chips to the Unibus backplane.

In modern times, this is integrated into both the CPU and GPU.

The whole thing like the other box can be used from a serial port which is accessible and configured on the back of both systems. I have to find a serial cable that will work but shit this thing is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Content BuMP.

Recycling source landed me two more scores today.

Bad news first:
    There was a 600mb Digital RA82 fixed disk drive I spotted today that was not for sale. The ecycler has a strict data destruction policy where all drives that come must run through DBAN. If thy are not compatible with the DBAN system, they are destroyed.

Anyways, the good news was that I found the systems it went with.

First was a PDP-11/23-turned-MicroVAX 4000-minicomputer.

Nothing overly special. It's just a symbiote VAX that took up residence in an old PDP-11/23 which in the first place was a pretty cheap system.
    Cool thing is that it has 64mb ram (someone had deep pockets) and a SCSI card.
    The real gold was finding the beast: a PDP-11/84.

Now THAT's more like it. It's not one of the "classic" systems with the colorful front panels with switches and lights but it IS a PDP.
    The fun thing was that they were so complex at the time, even the CPU could not be made into one chip as the technology to do so did not yet exist. Instead they made two separate chips, then put them on ANOTHER chip which they then called the CPU.

My system also requires a key to start. I had one as a doodad but it was misplaced when I moved. It's probably boxed somewhere. Anyways, I had to use pliers to manually power the system on.

Status 1! It works!

There were also a few other boards that were not in it but I can put in there if I prefer. One of this is the optional Floating Point processor. Again, it's divided over several chips.
    In this case, sixteen with the rest of the chips on the board being the glue logic that linked the chips to the Unibus backplane.

In modern times, this is integrated into both the CPU and GPU.

The whole thing like the other box can be used from a serial port which is accessible and configured on the back of both systems. I have to find a serial cable that will work but shit this thing is awesome.
    Damn, that's awesome. You're awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,615 Posts
    Is there anywhere I can get a badass old computer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)