1. Post #721
    Head over heels in love with Pudding~
    Dennab
    January 2012
    5,547 Posts
    I've wanted to get into this but I have no idea where to look and even then I'm too poor for it

Which is a shame because older computers interest me a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #722
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Welp, the RTC battery leaked in my Amiga 500, just de soldered it today.
    Popped the processor out, cleaned it up with some vinegar and cleaned the rest of the board off.
    Thankfully it barely ate into the board at all and it still works perfectly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #723
    Dennab
    January 2012
    5,547 Posts
    -snipe-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #724
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    432 Posts
    I managed to pick these up today:

The best thing was, they were free! They were about to be thrown out, but I saved them. In total, I now have about ten copies of MS DOS 6.22 upgrade, fully boxed (one still in shrink wrap).
    I also found these:

I've only heard of Novell NetWare in passing. From what I understand, it's some sort of networking package for Windows 3.1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

5. Post #725
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,180 Posts

The best thing was, they were free! They were about to be thrown out, but I saved them. In total, I now have about ten copies of MS DOS 6.22 upgrade, fully boxed (one still in shrink wrap).
    I also found these:

I've only heard of Novell NetWare in passing. From what I understand, it's some sort of networking package for Windows 3.1.
    Are you willing to sell a copy of the DOS 6.22 upgrade for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #726
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    432 Posts
    Are you willing to sell a copy of the DOS 6.22 upgrade for me?
    Sure, I can part with one. I've sent you a PM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #727
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,180 Posts
    Well I tried to send you a PM but it says that you are not accepting any PMs from any users
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #728
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    432 Posts
    Well I tried to send you a PM but it says that you are not accepting any PMs from any users
    Hmm, that's odd. I have enabled PMing, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've sent you an invite on Steam.

Also, I had to do this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

9. Post #729
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Also, I had to do this:
    :( all I have is 5.1 and 3.3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #730
    June 2010
    9,044 Posts
    Psh, DOS 5 master race

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #731
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I want whatever Microsoft's advertising team were smoking back in the 90's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #732
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I want whatever Microsoft's advertising team were smoking back in the 90's.
    While the dank They've smoked when they came up with Metro must've been some dry & laced shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #733
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Novell Netware was a way to network a heterogenous group of computers with the IPX/SPX protocol (ie. you could mix Mac/OS with Windows 3.1, 9x, 2000, XP, etc. and *nix machines as well.)

Though, Novell Netware is useless unless you have the server side. And in practice, netware requires a steep learning curve to learn how to configure and operate, since the older versions have no GUI on the server side and require typing out everything on the command line.

Netware has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, and much better (and easier) alternatives exist, like Active Directory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #734
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    432 Posts
    Novell Netware was a way to network a heterogenous group of computers with the IPX/SPX protocol (ie. you could mix Mac/OS with Windows 3.1, 9x, 2000, XP, etc. and *nix machines as well.)

Though, Novell Netware is useless unless you have the server side. And in practice, netware requires a steep learning curve to learn how to configure and operate, since the older versions have no GUI on the server side and require typing out everything on the command line.

Netware has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, and much better (and easier) alternatives exist, like Active Directory.
    Looks like I'm going to be sticking with AD, then. Cheers for the info. I opened the box earlier, and I found that all the disks are mismatched (there are two 'Disk 3's and no 'Disk 2', for example). Oh well, it's a nice-looking box, I suppose.

Also, I found this, too:

Microsoft MS-DOS Programmer's Reference guide circa 1984 in a rather nice mini ring binder. It appears to cover assembly programming in DOS 2.0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

15. Post #735
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    While the dank They've smoked when they came up with Metro must've been some dry & laced shit.
    Nothing wrong with metro alone, but when you put it on a desktop, thats just a whole new level of crazy.

Atleast windows 8 doesnt need accesability settings, it already has bright colours and giant buttons for the disabled!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #736
    Dennab
    January 2012
    5,547 Posts

I also found these:

Can I have one if I ever get money please?

[I'm poor as fuck right now but I really want one :s]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

17. Post #737
    April 2010
    789 Posts
    I picked up Doom, Doom II, a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, and the Doom II Hint Book at a garage sale for less than $2 in total about a week ago. the Doom and Doom II both came with their boxes, manuals and the registration forms and all that.

Man, i love garage sales. you either find crap or gold, and i believe i hit gold. anyone else here find anything good?

How would Bethsoft/iD react if i sent in the mail form for the T-Shirt/Hat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #738
    September 2010
    859 Posts
    Who knows? But you could tweet Carmack and ask him.

19. Post #739
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I picked up Doom, Doom II, a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, and the Doom II Hint Book at a garage sale for less than $2 in total about a week ago. the Doom and Doom II both came with their boxes, manuals and the registration forms and all that.

Man, i love garage sales. you either find crap or gold, and i believe i hit gold. anyone else here find anything good?

photocopy it, keep the original. Send in the photocopy

20. Post #740
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

21. Post #741
    April 2010
    789 Posts
    Oh yeah, i saw the 11/45 other day. that's literally just a town away from me, but i only have $2 and it'd be kind of hard to explain to my parent why i'd need a large cabinet-sized frame with a massive computer in it in my room...

Just got to settle for my faux-PDP11 right now...It's a AMD Duron with Windows 98 rigged up to emulate one in SIMH, but it's better than nothing i guess. Is there a good space-friendly PDP model that'll run Unix v7 and can be gotten pretty easily?

EDIT: I imagine that if i could get access to my school's 3D printer and get a Raspberry Pi to run SIMH i could propably make some kind of micro-micro-micro PDP-11! I'm imagining something like this. How hard would it be to compile SIMH for ARM?

22. Post #742
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Emulation has always been kind of scary to me. I don't even like using virtual machines for more modern operating systems. If you insist on emulating a PDP though, I at least recommend the java-based 8/e emulator here because it has support for real disk and tape images and it's very complete.

23. Post #743
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I like emulation in a pinch, but its no substitute for having the real deal in front of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #744
    April 2010
    789 Posts
    Yeah. I'd like to own a real PDP-11 someday, but for now i don't really have the space and the other inhabitants of the house would propably balk... Maybe if i ever learn how to wire up the components right myself i could set up a miniaturized replica kind of like the Briel Computers Altair8800Micro? Like, something more faithful to the original hardware but not quite a exact replica? (i.e. Smaller and less power-consuming, yet still software compatible enough to pass as the real thing for all intents and purposes otherwise)

EDIT: As clarification, i'm going for more a fairly faithful replica than just a emulation. The Pi's probably not a good starting point for that, though. the blinkenlights and switches could probably be wired up through GPIO, but that'd leave the question of peripheral compatibility and just how the hell i'd get all that to play nice with SIMH... As i touched on before, maybe a Brielesque replica running Unix v7 natively would be the best option here instead of emulation.

25. Post #745
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Try and find something like a PDP-11/05.

They can only really hold the basic CPU and memory and possibly one more expansion but they are about six inches tall, have a full front switchpanel and a partial status panel. It's perfect for placing under a monitor on your desk and running a serial console to your modern PC. The only problem is you'll be fighting factories in industry and senile old people who throw upwards of two grand for the damn things.

26. Post #746
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Try and find something like a PDP-11/05.

They can only really hold the basic CPU and memory and possibly one more expansion but they are about six inches tall, have a full front switchpanel and a partial status panel. It's perfect for placing under a monitor on your desk and running a serial console to your modern PC. The only problem is you'll be fighting factories in industry and senile old people who throw upwards of two grand for the damn things.
    I'm surprised Wofat Inc. hasn't made a knockoff to take advantage of that market yet, they make knockoffs of damn near everything else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

27. Post #747
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,198 Posts
    The battery works? you totally need to load up Micorsoft Works 1.0 on a floppy and use it at school.
    Old post, but I did this with a huge lap-crushing Compaq with Win95 on it. Had Microsoft Word on a floppy disk and used it in my College Writing class. Nothing beats watching hipster kids pull out brand-new Macbooks than lugging a huge laptop that spins up disks really loudly. The looks I got were worth carrying the 12 pound thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #748
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts

Force Feedback 2 is still one of the best joysticks out there. I've seen them selling for $75-100

Edited:

photocopy it, keep the original. Send in the photocopy
    Go to Quakecon, hand it to Carmack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #749
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Friend upgraded shelving and gave me the two Quadra 700's he was using as book ends.

I have so many fucking Quadras now I have no idea what to do with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #750
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    MOTHER

FUCKING

HELL

Dumped $20 into bolts and self-tapping screws and started adapting my PDP gear so they would fit the sliding rails so I could actually do something with it all. I broke two good drill bits and the RA82 alone took four fucking hours to get fitted. It's really tedious to get everything positioned so it's straight and level with also enough spacing so that it does not catch on anything, and to do all this outside of the rack. In the end though I got the RA82, the Unibus/Qbus expansion cabinet and the PDP-11/84 itself done today. Need to get a dremel sometime to cut a hole though. Some genius though it was brilliant to put the circuit breaker on the side of the unit and now it's completely covered by one of the sliding rails.

Bonus content:
    Me installing HDA after mounting the enclosure.

Me reinstalling boards (drive controller pictured)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

31. Post #751
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    Completed fitting rails to all of my DEC gear today.

After I got everything installed though I started testing everything to make sure it was still good before I committed cramming it into the corner and one of the tape drives went bonk. :(

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

32. Post #752
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    5,011 Posts
    I love hearing about your PDP gear. Hope that tape drive is okay. Also do you still browse from your NeXT Cube?

33. Post #753
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    BOT sensor had a bad connection. Cleaning it repaired the tape loading issues.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

34. Post #754
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    BuMP.
    Macfags left me with no options for adding a hard disk to my Lisa.

Widget 10mb internal hard disk (non working, and from that douchebag up in the Fraser valley who tried selling that prototype 128K mac for $100k) - $130

Apple ProFile 5mb external hard disk - $233 ($533 if you want it fitted with the below board)

Lisa IDE Widget disk emulator board - $370

Lisa SCSI interface card - $140

Same card as above, but with nothing on it - $20

These prices are bullshit. I bought the whole fucking Lisa for $110 after shipping AND driving down to a friends house in Renton to pick it up. Know what is worse? These are the average prices too. Idiots pay that fucking much for this shit
    Stop stroking your Steve Jobs fetish and be realistic. I want to put an OS on my Lisa. I got spreadsheets to do and a bet to win.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #755
    October 2011
    2,585 Posts
    I've never quite seen a portable like this one before, closes thing was a IBM P70.

Amstrad PPC512

Auction: http://www.leiloes.net/Portatil-Vint...uction_details

I would love one of these, steep price but comes in a nice bag anyhow
    My grandfather had one of those, I never knew what to do with the thing.

Edited:

BOT sensor had a bad connection. Cleaning it repaired the tape loading issues.

How many meg..eh...kilobytes can you get on that tape?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

36. Post #756
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts
    How many meg..eh...kilobytes can you get on that tape?
    Wikipedia posted:
    The maximum data capacity of a 2400 ft reel, blocked at 32,767 bytes and recorded at 6250 BPI was 170 megabytes.

37. Post #757
    October 2011
    2,585 Posts
    Pretty good for the '80s....I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #758
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    BuMP.
    Macfags left me with no options for adding a hard disk to my Lisa.

Widget 10mb internal hard disk (non working, and from that douchebag up in the Fraser valley who tried selling that prototype 128K mac for $100k) - $130

Apple ProFile 5mb external hard disk - $233 ($533 if you want it fitted with the below board)

Lisa IDE Widget disk emulator board - $370

Lisa SCSI interface card - $140

Same card as above, but with nothing on it - $20

These prices are bullshit. I bought the whole fucking Lisa for $110 after shipping AND driving down to a friends house in Renton to pick it up. Know what is worse? These are the average prices too. Idiots pay that fucking much for this shit
    Stop stroking your Steve Jobs fetish and be realistic. I want to put an OS on my Lisa. I got spreadsheets to do and a bet to win.
    Well what do you expect? they're used to paying out of the ass for a average quality product.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #759
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,095 Posts

That was an unexpected appearance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

40. Post #760
    I am no one's bitch now! AHAHA!
    October 2008
    4,101 Posts
    What's a good graphics card for an old system? i have a GeForce 2 (only has 64mb vram and it was my dad's) and a Diamond Master Stealth64 I found in the basement..oh and a bunch of trident cards and an SIS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events