1. Post #2641
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    It's short for STandarD. (Cheapeast of cheap models, lol)

I've heard that joke a million times, it stopped being funny the first time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

2. Post #2642
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Hey, they could have named it something other than STD.

EM (Entry Model), ES, S, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2643
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    It's called the standard. STD only appears when an abbreviation is needed, and/or the trim MUST be specified. Generally a Civic Standard is listed simply as Civic, where the other trim packages of this generation were listed as Civic DX (DeluXe), Civic LX (LuXury), Civic EX (EXecutive), and Civic Si (Sport Injected).

Also, Japanese cars of the era generally used DX as the base model name (Which is strange as it refers to "Deluxe"), Toyota and Honda really picked up on using the trim name in the 80s. But a lot of manufacturers who used the DX trim label would offer a "basic" package as well, which usually had no name (or was referred to as the "Basic" or "Standard" trim level). The "S" badge you mentioned actually was a common badge for "Sport", like the early Civic S:

There's a lot of differences in the different trim levels of the Civic for the fourth generation:

Standard:
    -Only available hatchback
    -Only equipped with 4 speed manual transmission
    -Manual steering
    -Air conditioning is optional
    -Dual-Point Fuel Injection with special base model ECU (PM9)
    -No passenger door mirror; block off plate only
    -Only made in Canada factory

DX:
    -Hatchback or Sedan
    -5 Speed Manual with optional 4 Speed Automatic
    -Manual steering
    -Air conditioning
    -Dual-Point Fuel Injection (PM5)
    -Made in all three factories (Japan, USA, Canada)

LX:
    -Only available in Sedan
    -4 Speed Automatic
    -Power steering
    -Power windows
    -Power locks
    -Air conditioning
    -Dual-Point Fuel Injection (PM5)

EX:
    -Only available in Sedan
    -4 Speed Automatic with optional 5 Speed Manual
    -Power steering
    -Power windows
    -Power locks
    -Air conditioning
    -Optional factory sunroof
    -Multi-Port Fuel Injection (PM6)

Si:
    -Only available in Hatchback
    -Close-ratio 5-Speed Manual
    -Manual steering
    -Air conditioning
    -Factory installed sunroof
    -Multi-Port Fuel Injection (PM6)
    -Only made in Japan factory

There was also the wagons but the trim level differences on those are insane. And the CRX, but that only had three trim levels and they were all very different.

My Civic, even being the standard model, is now MPFI using the PM6 from a 1988 CRX Si, and has a 5 speed manual from a 1988 CRX HF. Really, the only thing different from my civic and an Si is the sunroof -- Something I'm glad to not have. Every 4th gen Civic/CRX with a sunroof I've ever seen has had issues with it opening/closing, rust, or just doesn't work at all.

And on top of that, you lose 1-2 inches of headroom. Way more spacey above my head in my Civic than my CRX.

Anyways, ignore my rambling as always.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #2644
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,656 Posts
    I think you know more about honda civics than honda sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2645
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,834 Posts
    So the steering wheel control box for my radio seems to be faulty. I'm going to make my own with an arduino since I know the citroen protocol and the Sony RM-x4S protocol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

6. Post #2646
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    Ripped this out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #2647
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    803 Posts
    Ripped this out
    For what?

8. Post #2648
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    What's going in it now, bro?

9. Post #2649
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,104 Posts
    Had the day off so I replaced the timing belt that committed suicide last week plus replaced the alternator belt. Seems to be running fine again but I probably need to adjust the timing a bit better.
    Once my endoscope arrives I'll take a peek inside the cylinders to see how the valves are doing.
    Speaking of which...
    I still can't remove these two fucking plugs. I tried cold temperatures and penetrating oil to get them out and they are still fucking binding up and making a metallic squeaking (very bad). I don't want to end up ripping the fucking threads out of the head but seriously, I need to get them out. The cylinders HAVE to be inspected and pressure checked and the plugs MUST be gapped because they aren't done properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

10. Post #2650
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    What's going in it now, bro?
    I ripped it out of a 94 civic EX my buddy was scrapping it, we cut it up with sawzaws and I got this engine/tranny for free! d16z6 with a SI tranny!

Had the day off so I replaced the timing belt that committed suicide last week plus replaced the alternator belt. Seems to be running fine again but I probably need to adjust the timing a bit better.
    Once my endoscope arrives I'll take a peek inside the cylinders to see how the valves are doing.
    Speaking of which...
    I still can't remove these two fucking plugs. I tried cold temperatures and penetrating oil to get them out and they are still fucking binding up and making a metallic squeaking (very bad). I don't want to end up ripping the fucking threads out of the head but seriously, I need to get them out. The cylinders HAVE to be inspected and pressure checked and the plugs MUST be gapped because they aren't done properly.
    oh god what car ate it's timing belt?

11. Post #2651
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    I ripped it out of a 94 civic EX my buddy was scrapping it, we cut it up with sawzaws and I got this engine/tranny for free! d16z6 with a SI tranny!
    Nice, and a D16Y8 exhaust manifold and D15Z1/D15B6/D15B8 intake. Intake's junk unless you find someone who needs one for a CRX HF, Civic CX/VX, but that manifold is a good piece, just as good as an ebay header but OEM.

Anything noted to be wrong with engine/tranny? Why did he scrap the car? Those Si/EX B000s are pretty decent trannies, good gearing. I hate cruising on the highway with them though, way too high of cruising RPM for my taste.

Edited:

Also that valve cover (which is from the D16Y7) -- it's my favorite SOHC valve cover.

I had two of them but one of them was on the '93 EX I sold.

12. Post #2652
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    Nice, and a D16Y8 exhaust manifold and D15Z1/D15B6/D15B8 intake. Intake's junk unless you find someone who needs one for a CRX HF, Civic CX/VX, but that manifold is a good piece, just as good as an ebay header but OEM.

Anything noted to be wrong with engine/tranny? Why did he scrap the car? Those Si/EX B000s are pretty decent trannies, good gearing. I hate cruising on the highway with them though, way too high of cruising RPM for my taste.

Edited:

Also that valve cover (which is from the D16Y7) -- it's my favorite SOHC valve cover.

I had two of them but one of them was on the '93 EX I sold.
    He didn't have the title, kinda wish it had the original z6 cover, you know why haha. He tried to rewire it and failed so he just said "if you want it come rip it out" so now I'm gonna see if I can trade it for k20/k24 parts (crazy people in florida would trade stuff like this) and it came with the complete wiring harness and shifter linkage, just not axles.

13. Post #2653
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Axles are the same for any D series setup though. Except the HF/STD 4th gen Civic (Hub has fewer splines).

Why K series stuff? So much money/time to stuff a K in anything pre-2001, you're better off going B series or H2B/F2B, H2D/F2D. Same power, less hassle. Plus if you're trying to stuff one in your CRX you'll have to cut a hole in the hood or run without one. Or drop the motor down with some spacers, but you'll probably drag it across pebbles. *shrug*

K series isn't worth the hassle to me yet. Maybe in 5 years when prices plummet after the next big thing is released.

Edited:

Also I have a '94 EX without a title too. It was the donor Z6 head for Jap's D15Z1 build and the donor block for my D16Z6 build. It will also be the rear disc swap for my EF.

Speaking of which, did you keep the rear discs? I know your Si already has them (the 89-91 CRX/Civic Si came with rear discs) but they're worth some change.

14. Post #2654
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,466 Posts

why have I done this

15. Post #2655
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    Axles are the same for any D series setup though. Except the HF/STD 4th gen Civic (Hub has fewer splines).

Why K series stuff? So much money/time to stuff a K in anything pre-2001, you're better off going B series or H2B/F2B, H2D/F2D. Same power, less hassle. Plus if you're trying to stuff one in your CRX you'll have to cut a hole in the hood or run without one. Or drop the motor down with some spacers, but you'll probably drag it across pebbles. *shrug*

K series isn't worth the hassle to me yet. Maybe in 5 years when prices plummet after the next big thing is released.

Edited:

Also I have a '94 EX without a title too. It was the donor Z6 head for Jap's D15Z1 build and the donor block for my D16Z6 build. It will also be the rear disc swap for my EF.

Speaking of which, did you keep the rear discs? I know your Si already has them (the 89-91 CRX/Civic Si came with rear discs) but they're worth some change.
    I'm crazy and am going to spend a nice penny on a k20/k24 with a adapter to a s2000 transmission with a ford 8" rear end, you can see where I'm going with this. Also I think I just got a job I start on a service call to see how I work tomorrow, hell yeah!

16. Post #2656
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    Might be nothing much. Mine gets on, I get rid of it, comes back a good bunch later. Just a faulty o2 sensor, bad voltage or something, P0137 I think.

But then again, not worth the trouble, yet. Go get your checked, see what it is, fix if it's bad.
    Yeah I mean I've been operating 2008 equinoxes for ~1.5 years so I know that it sounds normal at least. I jacked it up a short while ago so perhaps it's a tire pressure sensor that needs to be reset. In addition I got myself a code reader (will be here Thursday) so I can check it out myself next time it happens. Hopefully I can get it to the shop tomorrow (have to get off work reeeal early).

Edited:

why have I done this
    Eh, you probably didn't need it anyway

17. Post #2657
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    I'm crazy and am going to spend a nice penny on a k20/k24 with a adapter to a s2000 transmission with a ford 8" rear end, you can see where I'm going with this. Also I think I just got a job I start on a service call to see how I work tomorrow, hell yeah!
    Good luck on the job, do you mean a Ford 9"? I guess the 8" is alright, then again the 9" is a little overrated. *shrug*

18. Post #2658
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    Good luck on the job, do you mean a Ford 9"? I guess the 8" is alright, then again the 9" is a little overrated. *shrug*
    I'll have to measure the wheelbase of the back of my CRX to see which one would fit better with a mini-tub. This ought to be fun haha! Don't know if I want to build it all motor, turbo, or nitrous! And thanks, I can't believe people would pay 600 for this z6 with si tranny here though, but they do. Can't believe a roll bar only cost about 180 for these cars.

19. Post #2659
    March 2006
    10 Posts
    Your gearbox will break before an 8.8 rear. A 9" is just a lot of extra weight and expense of doing disk brake conversions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #2660
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    I'll have to measure the wheelbase of the back of my CRX to see which one would fit better with a mini-tub. This ought to be fun haha! Don't know if I want to build it all motor, turbo, or nitrous! And thanks, I can't believe people would pay 600 for this z6 with si tranny here though, but they do. Can't believe a roll bar only cost about 180 for these cars.
    Use a G-body rear end, they are the same exact width as the CRX rear. Toss it up in there, re-drill the axles/drums or run discs -- it'll looks stock.

600 for a D16Z6 and Si tranny is actually cheapish. Alot of the time I see complete setups like that for ~$750-$1000.

Still more than I'd pay. I bought an entire EX Coupe for $200. THen again, I know people. Haha.

21. Post #2661
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,104 Posts
    oh god what car ate it's timing belt?
    92 Geo Tracker with the 8 valve 1.6l enigine.
    Chewed up the belt while idling at a stopsign.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #2662
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,466 Posts
    wat

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2663
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,609 Posts
    I think you're doing it wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #2664
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,039 Posts
    I changed my oil myself for the first time! Put in full Castrol Synthetic and replaced the oil filter with a Bosch. I think I might have overfilled a bit, the oil on the dipstick is about 1/8th an inch over the hash. After driving around about 10 miles there doesn't seem to be any problems though. It might be an illusion but it feels like my car gained a bit more power and feels more responsive now. I don't think I'll ever have someone else do my oil now, it only took me about an hour and only set me back $35. I didn't even need to lift the car, it was easy enough to change laying down by the side!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #2665
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,834 Posts
    I'm glad I got mine done at my mates garage.
    The sump plug thread stripped and I don't have the tools to make a new one.
    It's a common fault on the PSA HDi engines apparently.

I too noticed the engine being a bit more responsive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #2666
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,466 Posts
    ready to go in tomorrow, as well as a timing belt/water pump and all new fluids (100k miles soon)

just waiting on a lightened flywheel and ACT 420ft/lbs clutch, should hold up to an e85 tune by then

also upgrading my weakened motor mounts to compliment all other aftermarket trans/diff/susp mounts, followed by another 100k of abuse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #2667
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    Fixed a leaking gas line in my volvo, got a job(woot), and fixed a loud belt. Weird thing is today I sped up to 60 passing some guy doing 50 (45 zone) and I slowed back down to the speed limit and the guy turned his dome light on and flashed his badge mouthing "I'm a cop" at me. But he wasn't in his cruiser so I kept driving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #2668
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    that's why you need more power, so you can do a rolling burnout in front of him next time he flashes his badge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2669
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    10,050 Posts
    Well I changed a headlight on dad's ambulance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

30. Post #2670
    November 2010
    916 Posts
    broke my park brake cable, but too cold to out there and take it off.

31. Post #2671
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Got a $20 tip from a nice old guy who brought in a Bronco II for me to put a starter on.

And that also gave me the cash to buy *hopefully* my next ride.

32. Post #2672
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    274 Posts
    Does hitting a hawk with your car count?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #2673
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,332 Posts
    Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow so I can change my coolant temerature sensor and that should finally turn off my SES light
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

34. Post #2674
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Pulled harness out of civic... Time to track down wiring gremlins!

Edited:

Also drove a C5 Corvette for like 30 minutes. Was fun.

35. Post #2675
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,548 Posts
    Before:

After:

36. Post #2676
    November 2010
    916 Posts
    just finished replacing the front park brake cable on my truck.

thinking about selling it for a car. 81 toyota 4wd long bed for a yaris?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

37. Post #2677
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    10,050 Posts
    Before:

After:

...I don't think that looks better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

38. Post #2678
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,656 Posts
    Before:

After:
    It looks like your front bumper isn't on right, or maybe it's just the angle

39. Post #2679
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,548 Posts
    It looks like your front bumper isn't on right, or maybe it's just the angle
    This is sort of correct. There is a crack in the front of the bumper from the previous owner that makes it a little lower. It is on my to do list.

40. Post #2680
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,027 Posts
    Spent the morning changing a throttle cable. Old one just plain stopped working for some reason. we knew it was going out and had a new one on hand so it wasn't a big deal, 20 minutes to swap 'em.

Edited:

just finished replacing the front park brake cable on my truck.

thinking about selling it for a car. 81 toyota 4wd long bed for a yaris?
    Please don't. Firstly that thing isn't worth the metal it's made of. 80s pickups just don't hold value, you MIGHT get $500 or so out of it. Secondly, it's a Hilux. Those things NEVER DIE! You can set it on fire, drown it in the ocean, put it on a 14 story building and blow the building up, ram it into a tree, drive it down some stairs, ram it through a shed, and thunk a wrecking ball into it, and it will still start and drive.

Keep it. You will need it when the apocalypse happens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)