1. Post #3161
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,508 Posts
    I like painting engines because it makes them look not like ass in your car.
    I'm a form-over-function type, so I don't really care how it looks. An engine that looks like it just came off the assembly line and doesn't run at all is worthless to me, an engine that looks like ass and runs like brand new is worth it's weight in solid gold. I keep mine healthy, keep it running as good as my funds will allow, beyond that whatever. I don't worry too much how it looks. 'Sides nobody wants to see an old pickup's I6 except to be proven that it actually functions anyway.

Ten or fifteen years of good care and the engine will still look new. Don't let oil and shit sit on your engine.
    I keep the oil off of mine as best I can, but I don't bother with trying to paint it.

10-15 years is more than long enough to go without rebuilding an engine.
    I ask at least 20 out of my engines before I have to open them up, and preferably with 200K miles to go along with that. Ideally I get 20 years and 200K miles out of them without doing anything more than oil changes, plug changes and other routine maintenance, and 30 years/300K before I have to do major surgery.

Bit much to ask of engines? Perhaps. But I've already got two in the driveway that have met my minimums and still run great, so I don't see why new engines can't do it either.

Edited:

A clean engine compartment makes all the difference when either selling a car, or showing it to your buds.
    By the time I get ready to sell a car it's getting sold to a scrapyard that doesn't care how it looks. So lol, resale value means bupkiss to me.
    Paint gives a performance feeling to a stock engine, if I were to paint mine it would look like a lot hotter engine while still being stock.
    I'd rather get the performance feeling when I open the secondaries than when I open the hood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #3162
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    6,436 Posts
    i give my engine oil bathes, When i wash and wax the outside i use power steering fluid and tranny fluid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3163
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,178 Posts
    testecull you make it sound like you're some 50 years old dude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #3164
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    An engine that looks like it just came off the assembly line and doesn't run at all is worthless to me, an engine that looks like ass and runs like brand new is worth it's weight in solid gold.
    That's a terrible way to be. I don't know about you but when I see some nasty dirty engine in some guy's car or truck I feel like they don't take care of it, in return I feel like they are an irresponsible person.

Not saying it has to look showroom clean but no engine that "looks like ass" is going to run perfect, or at least run perfect for very long. If it's nasty dirty, and greasy, there is a reason -- it's broken and leaks shit. Fucking fix it. The bare metal of an engine looks just as nice as paint, but not as flashy -- but only if you don't allow it to be caked over with an inch of engine gunk. Ughhhhh.

Rule of thumb: A clean engine is a healthy engine.

Take not that this doesn't apply to internals, of course, but usually if you haven't leaked all of the damn fluids out of your engine then the internals would be fine. Minor repairs should always be cleaned up after so you know it's fixed!

Dirty motor == Bad Time

It's frustrating to me every time I work on a vehicle and get covered in filth from the engine bay. I ran into a terrible, AWFUL, UNIMAGINABLE case of this on a customer's Bronco II that was brought in. He had never checked anything besides kept the oil level full and water level checked, and it leaked like hell from many places, the entire engine bay was just caked with a nasty grease/dirt compound that was too hard to brush off, and most of it around the engine (and the starter, which I was replacing) was wet with thick oil. It was one of the worst cases I've seen of someone taking improper care of their engine. He later had me put valve cover gaskets on the thing but this only fixed part of the problem, and he STILL won't wash out the engine bay of that thing. I refuse to work on it again without him doing so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3165
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,508 Posts
    That's a terrible way to be. I don't know about you but when I see some nasty dirty engine in some guy's car or truck I feel like they don't take care of it, in return I feel like they are an irresponsible person.
    You gonna lend me your pressure washer then? With the '84 needing a complete brake overhaul from pedal to wheels and mine needing about $300 in suspension parts I can't afford to even rent one, puts off far more important repairs to both trucks even more.

My engine doesn't leak a drop of anything. It did when I bought it, but I've replaced the gaskets that were leaking. Doesn't leak a drop now. The head is nice and clean, light bit of surface rust but clean, as is the valve cover, and there's no fresh fluids under there. However, the block is still coated in all the goo that formed when it was leaking, and I don't have access to a pressure washer to clean it. It runs like a dream, but it looks like it just got pulled out of a tar pit from the head down.

Do I like it being that greasy? No. It makes holding onto tools a bit of a pain in the ass, and if I didn't have anything else to do on it besides cosmetic work cleaning it would be pretty high up on the list. But right now, making sure the front tires stay connected to the steering box is far far faaaar more important than worrying about what a bloody ancient old workhorse of a motor looks like.

Priorities, my friend. Priorities. I have more important issues to worry about on that thing than what the engine looks like.

Engine's clean as a whistle where it counts, anyway. I run synthetic oil, change it regularly, use Motorcraft oil filters, keep clean air filters on it, all that good stuff. The inside of the engine is about as clean as something this old will ever be.

Not saying it has to look showroom clean but no engine that "looks like ass" is going to run perfect, or at least run perfect for very long.
    I've got one in my driveway that proves you quite wrong. Two, actually, if you count the mill in the '84, although that still has a few oil leaks we need to plug after we get the brakes sorted. Sideplate and oil pan gaskets seal about as well as a screen door.

Edited:

testecull you make it sound like you're some 50 years old dude.
    I'm not, but I was raised by one, and he instilled in me the ways of the muscle car fanatic. One of those ways is "Make it work, then make it pretty."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #3166
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    You gonna lend me your pressure washer then? With the '84 needing a complete brake overhaul from pedal to wheels and mine needing about $300 in suspension parts I can't afford to even rent one, puts off far more important repairs to both trucks even more.
    Go to a car wash you lazy cunt. Pressure washer for pennies on the dollar.

Quit butting into an engine cleaning/painting conversation when you are just bragging about how much you don't give a fuck. That's really annoying, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #3167
    July 2011
    1,286 Posts
    I heard a steam pressure washer is less rough on the wiring harness/sensors and stuff and get the crap off way easily, where can I find such a thing I want to clean my engine bay (yes yes I could have done it when the engine was off but fuck me)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #3168
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    I'm not sure. I usually don't have a problem using the high pressure settings at the carwash after a soaking with degreaser, but I don't generally let grease and oil buildup sit on my engine long enough to not be able to simply rinse it off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

9. Post #3169
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,463 Posts
    Don't let oil and shit sit on your engine. It pisses me off when people do that. Keep shit clean if you spend that much time working on it.
    i cant :c

10. Post #3170
    Bring the Noise!
    January 2007
    2,742 Posts
    Isn't using a pressure washer on the engine bad? I heard water could be forced into small places like fittings or whatever and cause them to rust?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #3171
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    Isn't using a pressure washer on the engine bad? I heard water could be forced into small places like fittings or whatever and cause them to rust?
    It's not bad for the engine to be pressure washed, you just have to use common sense. If the connector isn't sealed, don't spray it. If your plug wires are old and deteriorating, don't spray them (But change them you lazy fuck). If you for some reason don't have an air filter on your carb/throttlebody do NOT spray inside it.

Leave it running while you spray. Anything not hot enough to instantly vaporize the water or evaporate it quickly is usually aluminum or painted and won't rust anyways. You're good to go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #3172
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    8,952 Posts
    I'm getting the intake and wirign sorted out on the 'vette this weekend. Cleaned up the intake today, my dad is modding the two bolt holes to bolt to my later model heads later on and then it'll get a coat of white paint. Why white? Because the aluminum isn't a very good finish and I can't be bothered to polish an intake right now. And white is clean.

I hate when motherfuckers paint engines orange. It's a fucking terrible color. I'm sick of it.

But, because Chevy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

13. Post #3173
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,508 Posts
    Go to a car wash you lazy cunt.

And you expect me to take you seriously when you act like this? Every time I talk to you I feel like I'm back in high school auto shop talking with one of the kids who took shop class because he needed an easy A just to pass that year.

I'm smart enough to prioritize important shit like the fucking steering linkage over making the engine shiny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3174
    I HAVE A ROTARY BECAUSE ITS GODDAMN AWESOME!
    April 2007
    3,146 Posts
    And you expect me to take you seriously when you act like this? Every time I talk to you I feel like I'm back in high school auto shop talking with one of the kids who took shop class because he needed an easy A just to pass that year.
    Every time i talk to you i feel like I'm back in high school talking with that A student that has the massive ego and thinks he knows everything and is above everyone else, thereby having to argue with everything anyone says to prove himself right and make himself look good.

Edited:

I'm smart enough to prioritize important shit like the fucking steering linkage over making the engine shiny.
    Although valid point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #3175
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,508 Posts

Although valid point.

That was my point the whole fucking time. He keeps trying to tell me keeping it shiny is more important than keeping it safe to drive.

Every time i talk to you i feel like I'm back in high school talking with that A student that has the massive ego and thinks he knows everything and is above everyone else, thereby having to argue with everything anyone says to prove himself right and make himself look good.
    I lump you in with bradley on that one. You and him both. You both act like it's right to be a dick to someone because you either disagree or you think they're wrong instead of, oh idunno, just simply disagreeing/saying "You're wrong, here's evidence Y and Z to prove it", or ignoring them entirely. It's why I can't take either of you seriously anymore and have about as much respect for you as I do Congress...and yes I know you don't give a shit, so don't even bother saying it.

One day you two will learn to be civil and either ignore or politely correct people you disagree with, and when you two figure that shit out we'll all get along just fine. You both know a fair bit about some things, but until you two stop acting like complete jackasses every time I say something you disagree with or think is wrong that will never amount to a damn thing. Try it sometime, you'll find it far more enjoyable and we'll most likely learn quite a bit from one another.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #3176
    July 2011
    1,286 Posts
    guys:

stop the fighting. It is our VIp spot on facepunch; keep it chill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

17. Post #3177
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    guys:

stop the fighting. It is our VIp spot on facepunch; keep it chill
    Trying to keep it chill, but I have testicleface all up in my grill 24/7 being a massive cunt.

If he left AA I would have no problem with anyone on this entire forum. He is the bane of my existence. 3,291 posts in Automotive Addicts (3 other posts were in other areas) and one dickhead is spoiling my fun.

That's life.

Edited:

Getting back on topic though, today I am going to hang out with facepuncher Zags and talk about our Corvettes and shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #3178
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    JUSTINNN ARE YOU HINTING AT ME?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #3179
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    198 Posts
    Damn, seems like I have to re-do that half-assed fix of the leaking windshield washing tank I did last summer. There's alcohol everywhere...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

20. Post #3180
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    Hey hey now, at least JDK is gone....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #3181
    I HAVE A ROTARY BECAUSE ITS GODDAMN AWESOME!
    April 2007
    3,146 Posts
    That was my point the whole fucking time. He keeps trying to tell me keeping it shiny is more important than keeping it safe to drive.

I lump you in with bradley on that one. You and him both. You both act like it's right to be a dick to someone because you either disagree or you think they're wrong instead of, oh idunno, just simply disagreeing/saying "You're wrong, here's evidence Y and Z to prove it", or ignoring them entirely. It's why I can't take either of you seriously anymore and have about as much respect for you as I do Congress...and yes I know you don't give a shit, so don't even bother saying it.

One day you two will learn to be civil and either ignore or politely correct people you disagree with, and when you two figure that shit out we'll all get along just fine. You both know a fair bit about some things, but until you two stop acting like complete jackasses every time I say something you disagree with or think is wrong that will never amount to a damn thing. Try it sometime, you'll find it far more enjoyable and we'll most likely learn quite a bit from one another.
    -snip- You'll never let it go if we don't first so fuck it. Ignore this post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #3182
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    Well, the L05 block in the Corvette may have a bad rear main seal, or on its way out, so I'm going to be checking that out in the morning. If the rear main seal needs replacing, I'll be green lighting the other motor and dropping it into the 'vette instead. I'd really like to do this anyways, so I'm going to go ahead and say that's the plan.

New motor will be a virgin L-48 block, 2.02 heads, Edelbrock performer intake manifold, Holley HP 4150 700cfm double pumper carb, adjustable FPR for the carb since I'm running the stock pump (which is very high volume for what it is!), heater will be removed as I've done with the air con, interior will stay gutted but recieve some rubber matting in it for the floors and will be cleaned up further.

Boost to start with will be provided by a 63mm turbo, I plan on later upgrading to something larger. Exhaust will be single 3", no cat, no muffler to start off with.

Build starts tomorrow! I plan on cleaning the new block up and maybe getting the turbo all re-cleaned up and ready.

I also need to pick up a nipple for the oilpan, and get that ready to go on. I may go with a threaded nipple and cap so that I can run the line and screw on a barb later for the return, I usually use screw clamps and high temp rubber hose for my returns since they aren't under much pressure (usually not much at all).

Anyways, pics during build. I'll keep you guys updated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

23. Post #3183
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,741 Posts
    Took care of a couple small things on my e36 this weekend. Installed a new JVC head unit to replace the stocker after I couldn't stand tape adapter quality anymore. Came with bluetooth integration, I plop in my car and 10 seconds later music starts playing with me even touching it. Plus it can change to quite literally any color (RGB settings are manipulable) so I got it as close to the rest of the interior as possible.

I then paid to have my windows professionally tinted, something I've never done before. Well worth it for anyone who wants their interior to be twice as dark and cool inside. Plus I'm really starting to dig the pure black/red look my car is starting to have.

Currently waiting on new sway bars, angel eyes, and a steering wheel in the mail. Can't wait!

24. Post #3184
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Is this the song you had on?

25. Post #3185
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    Is this the song you had on?

I hope so. Good song.

26. Post #3186
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,741 Posts
    Hahahah, most definitely.

27. Post #3187
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    YUCK!

28. Post #3188
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,741 Posts
    Different strokes for different folks, dude! I listen to a bunch of different shiet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #3189
    July 2011
    1,286 Posts
    Changed the oil after 300km (because who knows how much time it spent sitting in the garage at the PO and if there was any metal shaving or anything in it) on the new engine.
    it's awfully clean, no water or milk or shavings; It's sparkling clean.

Started to paint the swaybar I'll be putting on the car (fuck dem empty tubular sway bar, go rigid ones!) orange because fuckyouJDMSTYLEYO

30. Post #3190
    October 2011
    1,281 Posts
    Finally got the weed-whacker engine repaired, I need some gas though and I should be picking up some tomorrow.

Next step is to mount it on a bike.

31. Post #3191
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    Took this lump out

Not sure what's knocking in it, going to find out tomorrow.

It's out of my dad's '91 Chevy 1500. It's been his truck for ~11 years now and has been a trooper.

5 speed manual, corvette replica rally wheels for 5x5 bolt pattern with original 'vette centercaps, that's about it as far as modifications. Was the shop truck until I took over the business and renamed it.

New heart:

Just got the clutch and pressure plate in earlier.

tl;dr

4.3 V6 --> 7.4 big block
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #3192
    October 2008
    2,572 Posts

Slowly working on this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #3193
    July 2011
    1,286 Posts
    Wanted to change my sway bars... Stupid end link are 23yo and the bolt is stuck on the stud. Autistic engineer thinking it was a good idea to use a allen to hold the stud in place...

It ended with me having a seizure with the grinder and getting rid of the end links up front. Of course now I have to buy new ones for the front (and the back, because I know the grinder seizure will come back thoses on the back too)...

here goes 120$ on a already broke striking student

34. Post #3194
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    Tried to remove bumper
    Bolts said go fuck yourself
    kept spinning.

Gonna cut soon hopefully and try to straighten the bumper out (twisted while towing from the tow hooks)

35. Post #3195
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    I have a flat on my left rear slipstream. Hoping I haven't cracked the wheel or anything. Been too lazy to check it today. I'll check it in the morning.

Edited:

Nevermind I got unlazy

also cleaned up a few things under the hood and checked it out thoroughly for the first time in a while. Thought about doing suspension today but changed my mind.

Need to figure out what my brake noise is.

36. Post #3196
    July 2011
    1,286 Posts
    it is probably the vtec kicking in.
    sorry I couldn't resist :)

37. Post #3197
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,485 Posts
    it is probably the vtec kicking in.